The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Critic of historical movies

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Does this dauntless has the right insignia on it?  It is suppose to be one of the ones that fought at Midway.

It matches the ones shown here.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I guess this one is correct. Some of the American planes still had a red point within the insignia at that time. I know for sure that the Dauntless of the Yorktown and Lexington did during the battle of the Coral Sea one month earlier. However, those pictures I have of planes dating from June 1942 usually don't have that red point anymore. I suppose it was removed to prevent any confusion with the Japanese insignia. The Dauntless doesn't yet sport the bars on the insignia which were added (I think) in 1943.
The color of the Dauntless in your picture is a relatively light blue-grey which was used in the earlier time (1942) while later US carrier planes in the Pacific got a deeper shade of blue.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ahh, I see what you mean about the older insignia.  The Dauntless on my flight simulator has 2 paint schemes.  It has the Midway one shown above and it has the Pre-war one shown below with the old insignia.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
there a no known records from the experiement. they were most likley destroyed. it's objecteve was to acheve radar invisiblity. it was a disaster it was good in the radar invisiblity but it dissapeared and reappeared in norfolk dissapeared again and appeared agian in the philladelphia navy yard. i'm watching the second movie now. when the ship returned...you have the see the first one to find out what happened when the ship returned.  also the halls of montezuma is a good historic movie.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
also Sink The Bismarck! is a movie with major historical in acurrices. one destruction of a few sowrdfish biplanes to the bismarcks aa guns. wrong! the sowrdfish flew to slowly for the bismarcks guns to be fixed on them. and two the bismarck only destroyed one ship in it's carrer hms hood but in this movie it destroys hms solent and the "mighty hood." as hms hood was also known as.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
That movie is infamous for historic inaccuracies (as are several other war movies produced in that time). Another reason for the little effect the anti aircraft fire had on the swordfishs was that these planes were for the most part non metal. The anti aircraft shells went right through the textile causing none of the damage they would have caused had they hit on solid metal.