The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wild Arms

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi, I see Wild Arms doesn't have his own topic thread yet, so here it is!

I have already seen some mixed reviews about Wild Arms, but I actually like him.  He's far less annoying than the Yellowbellies, but it seems like much of his appearance is similar to them.  I totally get he's meant to provide comic relief, and I feel like his antics are a bit exaggerated at times, but I got a few laughs out of him ;).

What are your thoughts on Wild Arms?

LBTlover247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I liked him. He made me laugh out loud so many times! Although, his personality/antics were a little over the top. He kind of reminds me of a cross between Guido and the Yellowbellies. XD

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, I like him too.  And he does also remind me of Guido😁.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I gotta admit, I was extremely worried when I first saw him in the teaser, but looks like I was wrong. He wasn't nearly the story-killing annoyance I pegged him to be. In fact, he reminded me a lot of Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So after rewatching the film quite a few times, I'm really surprised how much I've grown to like Wild Arms! I honestly thought I was going to hate him and that he was too forced and 'modern' to work in a Land Before Time film, but now he's one of the main highlights of the film for me. He's funny and even kinda cute at times. Glad he's part of the Land Before Time pantheon now!

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
ALL MY YES. Wild Arms is the type of Dinosaur that the Yellow Bellies should've been to begin with; same overall build, but unlike the latter group, Wild Arms actually LOOKS like a Dinosaur!
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He was a bit over the top, but was a fun character.  they didn't have him in to many scenes, in my opinion, but the right amount.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I was concerned when I first saw him in the ten minute preview, but after seeing him in the film I was relieved.  He was an alright character, overall.  If the yellowbellies had been more like him then the 13th film would not have had the reputation it has developed.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I was hoping at least someone would've told me what he was. :p  I couldn't figure it out.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
I can see the comparison between Guido and Wild Arms. They both seem to share a similar nervousness, though Wild Arms' seems to be more focused on the perils he's in or about to get into.

Wild Arms doesn't seem as eager to offer help if said peril is involved. I can't help but suspect Grandpa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn persuaded Wild Arms to help in the rescue mission with the reasoning that he owed Bron for having looked after him and he had a obligation to repay that debt. That must have pinged his conscience, since he agreed, albeit very reluctantly, to help.

Can't help but suspect Wild Arms will continue to feel he owes Bron for his kindness to the point that he will feel independently moved to save someone Bron cares about. He'd be the type who'd be dragged kicking and moaning into adventures while, in spite of himself, coming to like these adventuring people.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, he's as annoying as the Yellowbellies and even looking a little similar to them (imo). No wait, he's even worse than them  :bang

Note: I have no problems watching LBT 13. The Yellowbellies were kinda... annoying but the movie is still somewhat enjoyable. Wild Arms is only annoying, there's nothing likeable about him at all. He wasn't funny, he seemed like a bad cross between Guido and the Yellowbellies, and he's barely contributing anything to the plot. A random member of Bron's herd (or Shorty, heck where's that guy anyway?!) would've done the trick too!  :rolleyes
Inactive, probably forever.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
I can see why Wild Arms can be taxing. The yellow bellies usually mean well, even if they aren't very successful at it, and that can be excused by their struggle with long term thinking and limited ability to truly mentally grasp certain situations.

Wild Arms, even with his heightened fears and missing certain details (like where he got his nickname from), appears to have a stronger grasp of what's going on around him. While not malicious, he's more willing to put himself before others. Despite sharing a similar kind of nervousness, he seems to have far less of Guido's kindness and selflessness. A bumbler whose more self-centered can be more tiring to watch than a bumbler who has more explicit redeeming qualities.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I found Wild Arms to be a nice combo of whimsy and silly. He is by far superior to the Yellowbellies and Wisdom of Friends wierdosaurs.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Am I the only one who legit thinks Wild Arms's role would've been a whole lot more interesting if he was a villain? I get that he was supposed to be written as more of cowardly comic relief, but there was something about his tone and attitude that struck me as a bit antagonistic.

It's not that I don't hate him as a character, only that I felt like his type of character was used incorrectly, so to speak.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Am I the only one who legit thinks Wild Arms's role would've been a whole lot more interesting if he was a villain? I get that he was supposed to be written as more of cowardly comic relief, but there was something about his tone and attitude that struck me as a bit antagonistic.

It's not that I don't hate him as a character, only that I felt like his type of character was used incorrectly, so to speak.
If anything, him being an antagonist would elevate the movie by virtue of not having a cookie-cutter post-VII sharptooth villain. :p
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

If anything, him being an antagonist would elevate the movie by virtue of not having a cookie-cutter post-VII sharptooth villain. :p
Yes, that too.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

If he was a villian, I would have gone with the selfish villian; cares only about himself and left Bron to his fate. I have a hard time picturing Wild Arms as a conqueror or sharptoothesque terrorizer. Then again, his cowardice could be a cover for his more invidious self! Muwhahahaha! :p

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I was hoping at least someone would've told me what he was. :p  I couldn't figure it out.

He's a Nothronychus, according to a post from the official LBT FB page. (So glad they made him look more like a proper therizinosaur than the yellowbellies!)

I gotta admit, I actually like Wild Arms. I can see where his hyperactive/cowardly antics would be annoying to some people, but for the most part, I thought he was quite funny! The scenes where he plays off Mr. Threehorn are gold! :lol And when he and Chomper meet...THAT got actual laughter out of me! (Few LBT movies have ever made that happen.) I think part of the humor of him is that he's not the type of character you'd typically find in the LBT universe. They have him use more modern language like "up top," but they don't overdo that kind of thing to the point where it goes from funny to annoying. Actually, Wild Arms seems like what you would get if you dropped some normal, modern-day dude into the dinosaur world--while other characters are like, "Oh, it's a sharptooth, it must be Tuesday," he's flying into a panic. Let's face it: if any of us got dropped in the LBT world, we would react in the same way as Wild Arms. :p

Can't help but suspect Wild Arms will continue to feel he owes Bron for his kindness to the point that he will feel independently moved to save someone Bron cares about. He'd be the type who'd be dragged kicking and moaning into adventures while, in spite of himself, coming to like these adventuring people.

Ever since XIV, I've had a headcanon quite similar to this. I really don't think we can say Wild Arms is completely selfish. He may not have wanted to lead Grandpa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn to the Fire Mountain, and he may have tried to convince them to go back early on, but as soon as Grandpa Longneck mentions the children to him, Wild Arms is defeated--he knows he can't argue with that, not wanting the kids to be in danger. Maybe he also felt guilty over it being his fault Littlefoot knew how to get to the Fire Mountain in the first place. So even as important as saving his own skin is to Wild Arms, I can't help thinking his good side ultimately overcomes that.

I do wish, however, that he'd gotten his proper chance to be an unexpected hero before the movie's end, helping to fend of a sharptooth or save Bron. Felt like he should have gotten that sort of character arc. Also, it would have been nice to see more of him and Etta interacting, seeing as how they seemed to be good friends from the brief moment of screen time they had together, plus Etta's reaction to Littlefoot mentioning him.

(Oh, and I've noticed, by the way, that there must be some person on the internet who downright hates this character. The wiki descriptions of Wild Arms I've seen paint him in a very negative light, all but calling him an antagonist!)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:49:47 PM by RainbowFaceProtege »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

If he was a villian, I would have gone with the selfish villian; cares only about himself and left Bron to his fate. I have a hard time picturing Wild Arms as a conqueror or sharptoothesque terrorizer. Then again, his cowardice could be a cover for his more invidious self! Muwhahahaha! :p
My thoughts exactly. He strikes me as the kind of selfish coward who'd abandon the gang without a second thought.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Is Wild Arms a relative of the Rainbowfaces? At least a similiar species?