The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Jurassic World: Dominion (2022)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I normally wouldn't bother posting in topics about movies I'm not exactly enthusiastic about, but I figured you guys might find this interesting:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/colin-trevorrow-reveals-jurassic-world-193711291.html

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
^Looks to be epic. Albeit it may suffer from too many dino species like The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Oh my god. This film is going to suck. All of this new information is making me think that it going to be worse than Fallen Kingdom. This is going to be the Rise of Skywalker of this franchise.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Gotta say the Final Trailer turned me off to the film.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Gotta say the Final Trailer turned me off to the film.
It was that bad?

It showed the major plot line, which is JPIII only instead of raptors eggs its.. well
Spoiler: ShowHide
Beta, Blue’s baby.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I knew it was gonna have a plot similar to III.

Yep.

Jurassic World was just Jurassic Park, theme park run amok.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom was The Lost World, hunters and dinos on the mainland.
Jurassic World: Dominion will just be Jurassic Park III.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
From what I have heard so far this film is The Rise of Skywalker of the Jurassic Park/World franchise.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
The one music track that's available right now on YouTube is already a huge improvement from the music in Fallen Kingdom so there's that at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YXLO8ElWJg&list=OLAK5uy_kS7ys7L-AKKeYmiAyM0EpaxCouXTJ8W8s&index=1&ab_channel=MichaelGiacchino-Topic
Edit: The full soundtrack is now available. Also that album cover is actually pretty sick not gonna lie.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:41:51 PM by LittleDas75 »

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
From what I have heard so far this film is The Rise of Skywalker of the Jurassic Park/World franchise.

I can't say anything about the Star Wars comparison, but I can at least confirm that it's not very good (to be as polite as humanly possible).

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
That's a shame. I've seen some of the reviews savaging it. The thing I'm hearing the most was that it was kinda slow paced and boring? How can a film about giant monstrous lizards roaming the world and humans trying to cope with living alongside them be boring? Was really hoping Universal would have learned from Fallen Kingdom, but I suppose the only thing they understand these days it that they don't have try with good writing because they'll make loads of money either way. Can someone else have a go at a dinosaur movie?

*Eyes up Jurassic Galaxy* ...No, not like that.

I'm still planning on seeing it maybe next week, but I'll keep my expectations low. Saying that, just had a look at audience reviews and they seem more positive, so who knows? I tend to enjoy some things other people hate so I may enjoy parts of it yet.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:44:19 PM by somerandomfangirl »

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I’ve read it underutilized Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldbloom.

Also…

Biosyn at last is the villian, but thw premise they are using locust that devour all crops except those that are Biosyn seed feels like it would derail the movie, and should be its own movie called Seeds.

shaiger

• Chomper
    • View Profile
My spoiler-free review is that, personally, I think it's more entertaining than the previous two, but somehow it managed to make dinosaurs uncool. Weirdly enough I think the movie would've been better without the dinosaurs, but then again it would make no sense to call it a Jurassic World movie :D.
I didn't think it was slow paced at all, but maybe that's just me. But what bothered me was the amount of pointless scenes that just added to the length of the movie and not to the story/plot. I think it was 45 minutes too long but it wasn't as painful to me as sitting through The Fallen Kingdom.

And now onto some spoilers...
I actually quite liked the locust plotline. We've had dinosaurs for how many movies now, so expanding the prehistoric roster to insects as well was interesting. I just wish that the movie was written better, so the plot could also be more interesting.

The plot surrounding Maisie was awful. It just reeks like they write her backstory without checking their notes, and just... I dunno. Her story just doesn't make any sense. Virgn birth, tampering with her genes [I mean... it's eugenics], she's a clone but not really, her mother just reproduced asexually because... why not?
In TFK Maisie sort of mirrored the Indoraptor (both "lab born", in need of a mother, etc.etc.) but now she's supposed to be the human counterpart to Beta?
The original trio totally stole the show. It was great seeing Ellie Sattler after so many years and she still continues to be my favorite. I also liked the new characters (mosty Ramsay and Kayla), and the fact that none of them got killed :D. I just felt like Claire was stripped from her agency and the plot would not suffer much if she was cut from the movie altogether. I wish they had done more with her...

And as I mentioned before, there were way too many pointless scenes. I especially think the action sequence with the assassin raptors was too long and completely unnecessary. I mean really, if you cut that scene from the movie, nothing really changes. All you need is Claire & Co. finding a clue where to find Maisie, and Owen escaping a bunch of carnivores (that could've just been any regular carnivore roaming the streets to be honest) and jumping on the plane. That's it.
The dinosaurs looked bad and the movie suffered from having waaay too many dinos. The feathered raptor was sort of cool but then they made it swim... I also liked the introduction of the Therizinosaurus even though it just yeeted that deer for no reason lol. The fighting scene at the end was - as my husband put it - cringe. I usually enjoy giant monsters beating the crap out of each other but this was so dull and boring that I just wished it was over soon. Also the fact that it was edited poorly and the scene was so dark you could barely see anything made it worse.

But then again I think this is a great "turn off your brain and grab a bucket of popcorn" sort of movie to watch with your friends. It's entertaining, it has some good acting (Mamoudou Athie did a really amazing job in the last scene with him and Campbell Scott [Dr. Dodgson]) and overall I think it was more fun than the previous two.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I’ve read it underutilized Sam Neil, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldbloom.

Also…

Biosyn at last is the villian, but thw premise they are using locust that devour all crops except those that are Biosyn seed feels like it would derail the movie, and should be its own movie called Seeds.

Of course they did.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Honestly, I think I’ll wait till this is released via Stream, and just rewatch Jurassic Park.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Still being panned. 30% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is rotten.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Okay so I saw it. I set my expectations very low for it, and... honestly? I didn't think it was that terrible.

I will say that it did feel really disjointed and it felt like the film didn't know what the focus on, and then ended up focusing on everything except the thing it should have; having people deal with dinosaurs in the world.

There were some parts I enjoyed (dinosaurs causing carnage never fails to entertain me), and seeing the original cast from the first JP was nice. But it also felt really safe and predictable. That and there were quite a few concepts in there that I feel really could have been expanded on instead of dragging out some other scenes (there was one chase scene in particular that just went on for so long, and as for the Maisie plotline  :rolleyes). On one hand I kind of enjoyed pointing out all of the nostalgic references but on the other I wished they had focused less on that and more on writing a good, engaging story.

I mean at the end of the day I enjoyed it more than Fallen Kingdom which was what I was looking for. But still a lot of wasted potential.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion