The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Flyer's Lament

jassy · 3 · 1053

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
A Flyer's Lament

Hey guys! Long time no see, huh? This is something I owed for the 2019 summer exchange for The Gang of Five fanfic prompt challenge. Yep, this has been about 2 years in the making.  :bestsharptooth This might start to sound like clockwork to some, but it's the first thing I've written in a very long time, and I feel much more confident in my writing ability than I did before. Pterano's backstory is one of my favorite avenues to explore, and while I realize it's been done to death, I hope you all enjoy it regardless!  :PteranoPlotting

Description: After serving five bitter cold times in exile, Pterano finally has the  chance to return to The Great Valley. But life has hardened the old flyer, who believes he is undeserving of a second chance. But one has to wonder, how exactly did he come to be this way? And will he take this chance at redemption, or resign himself to a life of misery?

FF link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13930614/1/A-Flyer-s-Lament

and a small note: Italics outside the quotes indicate thoughts, but italics inside the quotations are used for emphasis when a character is speaking.

"Well... that makes five."

The flyer spoke aloud to himself as he watched the first blades of grass fight their way through the cracks in the earth, marking the beginning of the new season. Then, it all sunk in.

"Goodness." Five cold times? "Has it truly been that long…?"

It wasn't as if it even mattered. After the stunt he'd pulled with that 'Stone of Cold Fire' nonsense, his sister probably wouldn't want even want to see his face. Not that he blamed her, but he didn't think he could bear being cast out again.

"Well... I've really done it this time."

Pterano was well aware that he might have looked crazy talking to himself, but he'd grown accustomed to it. Extended periods of time in the Mysterious Beyond could do that to a flyer.

"My dear, I don't know if you can even hear me," he sighed, "but, I hope you can forgive me for all I've done. All I wanted was to set everything right, for things to go back to the way they were... when we were all happy."

"Who in the world are you speaking to? Anyone hears you, they might think you're more loony than a hunger-crazed sharptooth."

Pterano drew his attention towards the deep, wistful voice behind him, belonging to an older flyer. The pale flyer's legs were covered in faded scars which Pterano could only assume were from the battles he won, given his reputation. His eyes, the same color as the brown earth, were filled with a wisdom that only came with age.

Pterano nodded politely at the other. "Good evening, Sofos. What brings you here?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing," Sofos chuckled, "how come you're out here by your lonesome? Why, with how down you look, I'd reckon you got rejected by every single female out there during the Time of Mating."

Sofos had seen his fair share of runts and outcasts- males that no self-respecting female would consider mating with. But Pterano didn't fall into any of those categories. Which was why it came as a surprise that Pterano hardly seemed bothered about finding a mate. In fact, it seemed like Sofos' words went in one ear and then out the other.

"Unfortunately, my friend, I've no interest in a mate," Pterano corrected, "there was only one little lady I'd ever consider to be my lifelong companion, but… well, let's just say that backfired in my face, as did several other things. Sometimes, I feel I'm just... cursed."

Sofos laughed heartily as he took a seat next to Pterano.

"Aw, there ain't no such thing as curses. There's only things you decide to do, and things you decide not to do. And life is pretty much just the outcome of those decisions, when you think about it. You're not cursed, you just make bad decisions from the sounds of it."

Pterano slouched, groaning under his breath. "Thank you. That was... quite helpful."

"Nah, don't mention it." Pterano's sarcasm was not lost on Sofos, who decided to ignore it.

"Although," Pterano countered, "I do have to disagree with you about there being no such thing as curses."

Sofos appeared to think for a moment. "Well, you are entitled to your opinion. Even if it's wrong."

Pterano frowned, his dark eyes meeting the other's. "Well, I say— it's an opinion! How can you say it's wrong?"

"Hmm... I guess that's fair. But answer me this— how come you feel that way? Do you have a reason or have you just always been this superstitious?"

Sofos let out a laugh, expecting Pterano to roll his eyes in exasperation. Except, he didn't.

Pterano retreated into the deepest recesses of his mind, dredging up old memories that he tried so hard to repress. There were times that were the greatest of his life, that he wished to cherish forever. But along with those, there were also memories he hoped to forget.

"My father... he cursed me. It's because of him that I'm in such a position."

Sofos blinked, his eyes focusing on the younger flyer before him. "...How do you mean?"

Pterano looked back at the sky, like he was looking somewhere faraway.

"He only ever cared about what he wanted. It was all about what he thought was right, what he thought was best for me. He forced his blasted 'ideals'— if you can even call them that— onto me, and it ruined my life."

Pterano sighed. "Forget it. It's a long story, one with far too many details."

Sofos grinned. "Don't worry, I've got time."

Pterano shook his head, wondering why this old flyer was so adamant about this. But he chose not to fight it. "Alright, then. Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Pterano! Eyes forward!"

Pterano, too preoccupied with his wonderful daydream, barely registered the dreadful sound of his own father's voice. "Mm..."

"PTERANO!"

Pterano groaned under his breath, whirling around to meet his father's disappointed face. "I know, I know, eyes forward— OW!"

Too focused on talking back to his father, Pterano had neglected to notice the cliff right in front of him, crashing right into it, face first. The impact of the crash vibrated throughout his body, leaving him dazed and confused as he managed some sort of a landing, his head throbbing too much to care about proper form and technique.

Pterano plopped down onto his stomach, the sound of flapping wings growing closer. The other flyer's shadow loomed over him, and Pterano forced himself to look up. His father was the mirror image of him, only darker and much bigger. And stronger. A reminder of everything he failed to be, which he remembered every time he looked at his reflection in the water.

"That was pathetic," his father spat.

Pterano huffed, refusing to acknowledge him.

"This is serious, Pterano. Forget becoming leader of the herd, you won't even be able to function in a group!"

Pterano sat up, massaging his head. "Mm... I don't think it's quite as serious as you think it is, father..."

"See— this is exactly your problem. You simply don't want to learn! Anything useful that goes into that empty head of yours just goes in through one end and then out the other!" He firmly tapped Pterano's head several times with his talon to get his point across, ignoring his son's pleas for him to stop.

Pterano winced in pain, opening one eye to stare at his father. If looks could kill, his father would have a hole through his forehead.

"Very well," his father scoffed, "if that is your attitude, we will not be heading home until you perfect your flying technique."

Pterano's jaw fell slack. "What? You can't— you can't be serious! Do you know how much time we'd be wasting—"

Pterano's father cleared his throat and perched himself atop a rock. "I've got all day. Start flying."

Pterano's talons dug into the dirt amidst his frustration, sharp tips cutting deeper and deeper as he fought the urge to scream in his father's face. After a moment of staring at the ground in unspoken rage, Pterano heaved his sore and aching body back into an upright position, begrudgingly taking to the sky once more.

By the time Pterano had managed to somehow meet his father's high standards and actually land without any noticeable stagger, the bright circle had already begun to set, the night circle rising over the mountains. He could no longer feel his own legs, or his wings, for that matter. How in the world was he supposed to fly home?

"Good work, Pterano," his father said, clapping his hands together, "much better than that horrid display I was forced to witness earlier. However..."

Damn it. He'd really been counting on his father having nothing more to say. After all, he had better things to do instead of listening to yet another angry tirade.

"...I know you can do better." His voice was gentler, but Pterano knew better than to be lured into a false sense of security. He stiffened as his father squeezed his shoulder.

"As I'm sure you know, I will not accept any sort of failure."

There's the flyer I know, Pterano noted silently, unaware of how much his heart was racing.

Silence fell between the pair, leaving both standing atop the ledge awkwardly. Thankfully, they were interrupted by the sound of flapping wings, followed by a screech.

Pterano jerked his head upwards, his eyes trailing the dark figure that flew towards them. The unknown flyer swooped down and landed perfectly in front of Pterano, her auburn body shrouded in the cool light of the night circle.

"There you are," her raspy voice chirped, "where have you been? We're all gonna miss the Great Shower of the Flying Rocks because of you! Come on!"

She instinctively reached for Pterano's wrist, pulling him towards her.

Then, it was like a spark ignited inside of the older flyer's mind. His sharp, narrowed eyes fixated on their joined hands, but that watchful gaze of his was not lost on his son.

Pterano glared suspiciously, wondering what exactly was going on inside his father's head right now. What is he planning?

"Hello?" The female waved her hand in front of his face, "Cyra to Pterano, come in Pterano!"

"Huh?" Pterano finally snapped out of it. He looked at Cyra, and then at his father.

"Er... father? I'm going with the others to watch the flying rock shower. What time should I be home?"

The older flyer simply gave a dismissive wave. "Doesn't matter to me. Just don't do anything foolish and stay out of trouble. Do you think you can do that?"

His words felt heavily patronizing, but it was nothing new. This was just how it was. Pterano's only purpose in life was to make his father proud, as much as he detested it. So he paid no mind and gave a single nod of his head before following Cyra, disappearing into the night.

The duo soared through the sky, Cyra catching a quick glimpse of Pterano, who despite being right beside her felt like he was worlds away. He was obviously distracted, so much in fact that he almost began flying downwards. In the wrong direction. If it hadn't been for Cyra using her wing to gently grab his attention, he would've had a very rude awakening.

Pterano smiled sheepishly at his good friend of many years. "Oh, dear— my apologies, Cyra, I must be a bit worn out from today's lesson."

"Yeah. No kidding," Cyra snickered, "when I saw you, you looked like you'd risen up from the dead."

"Well, I certainly felt like it," Pterano said in slight jest, but a part of him meant it. When it came to his father, he always left feeling completely exhausted.

Cyra laughed, but the light atmosphere between them quickly lifted when she brought the focus back to the issue at hand. "Pterano?"

"Hmm? Yes?"

"I hope you won't mind my saying this, but... I've just been noticing it more and more."

Pterano seemed both intrigued and confused, but he'd wait for her to finish before jumping to conclusions.

"The way your father treats you, I don't think— well, I know it isn't right because my father never treats me that way. I mean, it seems like he cares more about having power over than you than he does about your happiness."

"Really?" Pterano pretended to be surprised, but the flatness in his voice revealed his apathy, "I hadn't noticed."

Cyra chortled, smacking him upside the head. "Stop it, I'm serious."

A grin crept onto Pterano's face. "Why, hello Serious, I'm—"

THWACK!

Cyra whacked him again. "You're full of shit."

"And yet you still spend time with me," Pterano pointed out, ramming into her body with his. His face lit up at her squeals of surprise and delight, dissolving into soft sighs as he assumed a more serious demeanor.

"But you aren't exactly wrong, Cyra. He has no one's best interests at heart except for his own. The only thing that matters to him is expanding his territory, and he expects me to follow in his footsteps."

"...Wow. Yikes. But hey, look on the bright side," she piped up, "once he dies, you're free to do whatever you want. You could probably even ditch your position as leader, I mean, what is he gonna say? He'll be dead!"

She burst out into hysterical laughter but quickly shut her mouth when she saw that Pterano was not laughing along with her. "I'm so sorry. That was too far."

The faintest smile lingered on Pterano's face, and he allowed himself a small chuckle.

"Well now, I wouldn't say that. It is the truth, and it is quite funny when you think about it. Knowing him, he'd probably find a way to order me around from the Great Beyond."

"Yeah, he probably would!" Cyra cackled, her laughter contagious.

Pterano soon found himself bursting into laughter as well to the point his stomach ached. He and Cyra then flew down towards the grass covered clearing where their friends had been impatiently waiting for them.

"Late again," the pink flyer announced, black eyes fixated on the two closely approaching silhouettes.

"Yeah, that's a surprise. I'm completely beside myself with shock." The brown flyer standing beside him faked a gasp, placing his hands over his chest for dramatic effect.

"Are you serious?" A deep voice that was like claws scraping against the wall of a cave erupted from behind him.

"Quit your moaning, Sierra. I don't think I can even keep count of the amount of times that we had to wait for your sorry butt because you were 'watching the clouds' with Zephyr."

Yellow eyes narrowed at the lilac flyer. She was like a thorn in his side. One that was impossible to get rid of.

"Hey, Lila, isn't it past time for you to go back to your nest?"

"Isn't it time you died?"

Rinkus snickered in a hushed voice. Only Lila. Only she had the guts to say something like that to someone's face, and Rinkus admired her for it.

"Brat!" Sierra growled.

"Mouthbreather!"

"Go eat a pile of—"

"Sierra!"

The male turned to face the periwinkle flyer whose azure eyes were always so gentle, even when she was angry.

"She started it!" He pointed an accusing talon towards Lila.

Zephyr was not impressed. "Mhm. Very mature."

Sierra was about to launch into a litany of protests when a loud screech sounded through the air.

"Do you guys ever shut your mouths?" Cyra inquired as she landed, "We could hear you arguing from the other side of the mountain."

When both Lila and Sierra tried to explain themselves, Zephyr stopped them with a light slap to their backs.

"No," she scolded, "not now. Not today. Now come on, Tress is probably already waiting for us."

"Goodness! We'll miss the beginning!" Rinkus squawked.

"Yeah, if you keep whining about it," Lila teased, "let's go already!"

"Let me guess," Sierra said smugly to Pterano as they took off, "you were swapping spit with Cyra, weren't ya?"

Pterano gasped, completely indignant as he flew onwards with Sierra trailing right behind him. "No, that's not what happened at all! And it's none of your concern if it did!"

Sierra snickered, having the time of his life. "I bet you were all 'Oh, Cyra, I wish we could be together forever and never hang out with any of our friends!' You were, weren't ya?"

"Sierra, cut it out." Zephyr flew a little ways behind them, her scolding interrupted by the sound of Lila laughing.

"Lila thinks it's funny," Sierra pointed out, looking over his shoulder.

"That's because it is," the lilac flyer said through her giggles.

"I hate you, Sierra," Pterano groaned.

"Good," said Sierra, "the feeling's mutual then."

"Ugh! Will you guys shut up already?" Cyra shouted from the front, flying straight ahead.

By the time the small flock of flyers arrived at their destination- a valley of steep cliffs that could only be accessed by flying, the sky had already begun to turn a hue of deep pink. Cyra scanned the area, looking for a place to land. When she heard a familiar screech, she took that as her cue and followed it to where she was greeted by a dark blue flyer.

Tress had been expecting them. Several flyers planned to watch the shower tonight, so she had flown off early to reserve a decent spot. When she saw Cyra come into view, she waited until she landed before practically attacking her with a hug.

"I'm so glad you guys made it!" Tress exclaimed as Cyra reciprocated her gesture, "I was beginning to worry that I'd headed out early for nothing."

"Yeah, well you can blame your brother for makin' us late," Sierra ever-so-nobly pointed out.

Pterano clenched his fists and huffed. "I say, don't you ever get tired from constantly berating me, Sierra?"

"I wouldn't exactly call it berating, Pterano," Lila scoffed, "it's just Sierra being Sierra. No big deal."

"She's right, you know," Rinkus chimed in, "I've seen Sierra when he's actually berating others, and this is quite tame... at least by his standards."

Cyra couldn't believe she was actually friends with these imbeciles.

"Who cares?" She interrupted, "The shower's about to start. And where in the world are Kiara and Kai?"

"Don't get your wings in a knot, you worry wart. We're here." Now, there was a familiar sound.

"And just in the nick of time too," added another voice.

Cyra looked up and caught a glimpse of her brother and her best friend flying towards her.

"You're late," she griped, glowering at her brother.

"Not like you have any room to talk," Kai retorted.

"Not my fault, idiot," Cyra replied.

"Alright. You keep telling yourself that." He flashed that stupid grin that made Cyra want to punch him in the face, and then patted her head.

Cyra slapped his hands away. "Don't touch me. I don't know where you've been."

"Wow. Whoever raised you did a pretty bad job." He leaned over towards Tress, lowering his voice, "Seriously, she's so rude!"

"You know what's rude?" Tress folded her arms, "The fact that you'd much rather pick on your sister than greet me."

Kiara let out a snort. "Ouch."

Kai panicked, but only for a moment. He then wrapped his wings around the dark blue flyer. "How could I ever forget you, Tress?"

Trying to stay mad at him was a losing game. Before long, Tress had accepted his embrace and was laughing as he lifted her smaller body into the air.

Pterano wanted to puke. Honestly, his friends didn't seem to know the first thing about decency. He averted his eyes, only to direct them towards the sky a moment later when he felt a cool light pass over him.

"Everybody, quiet," Kiara demanded, a smile dancing across her face, "it's starting."

Silence fell among the flyers. Another streak of blue light leapt across the sky, visible for only a second before fading into darkness, followed by many more in the same vein. The flyers considered themselves lucky to witness it.

Pterano perched himself by Cyra's side. Just being with her and seeing how happy she was, it made him forget all about his current plight.

"You know," Cyra began, "It's so amazing being able to see something like this. And the fact that it only happens once in a while, and I'm here to see it— that makes it even more amazing. I sure am glad I'm a flyer right now."

Pterano laughed softly, a wave of fatigue slowly overtaking him . "Hmm... yes."

"I mean, just imagine being a clubtail or a threehorn. You wouldn't be able to see shit!"

Pterano only had the energy to nod.

"Hey, Pterano?" Cyra waited for his response, but when all she got back was silence, she called his name again. "Hello? Pterano? Hey, what are you—"

Pterano was fast asleep on Cyra's shoulder and probably hadn't heard a word she just said. Cyra grinned at the sight of his serene, sleeping face, choosing not to wake him. Instead, she looked towards the sky. When she did— she wasn't sure if it was a trick of the light or what, but there seemed to be twice as many stars.

As daylight faded, numerous stars adorned the night sky. Pterano exhaled, releasing the tension that had built up in his chest.

"You know, that night was one of my last happy memories as a young flyer. I didn't even see the entire flying rock shower, but just being there with my friends without a care in the world... it's a feeling I'll never have again."

"Hmm..." Sofos thought long and hard, "sounds like a bit of tough love to me. I think your father was just hard on you to knock some sense into your noggin. You should be grateful to him."

"No, it wasn't like that," Pterano corrected, "he knew he could use brute force to get his way and nobody would say anything because of his position! He was hard on me, yes, but he purposely sabotaged anything, and I mean anything— that interfered with my training."

Sofos' eyes widened curiously. "Yeah? Like what?"

Pterano paused, and it felt like eons before he spoke again, his voice heavy with emotion when he did.

"...My future. Not my future as a leader, but my future with the one I loved."

It was as beautiful a day as any other. The bright circle blessed the land with it's light, the cries of various creatures echoing throughout the trees. A group of flyers could be seen soaring effortlessly through the sky. It was as close to a perfect day as one could get. But not perfect enough.

From his lookout point up in the sky, Pterano spotted something, a speck— but it still caught his attention. It was his father, talking to Cyra.

"Now what is he up to?" He swooped down, forgoing any and all subtlety.

"Well, well, what are you lot chatting about?" He squawked obnoxiously, placing himself in between Cyra and his father, "Must be quite interesting."

Pterano expected Cyra to laugh at such a remark, or at least produce a muffled giggle. Instead, she wrapped her arms around her shoulders, directing her gaze towards her feet.

"Nothing much, really. Just talking about what my duties are during the dry time."

"What?" Pterano gave her a doubtful look, "but there's still plenty of time before it starts! And father, I haven't seen you talking to anyone else about their duties. I figured I would have been the first one you spoke to, considering you expect me to lead the herd one day!"

"Just because you haven't seen me speaking to others, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Not everything needs to be a show when you're leader of a herd."

He craned his head towards the female flyer, staring her down. Cyra caught his eye and nodded her head. Satisfied, the older flyer held his head high.

"Now, I have other duties to attend to. Why don't you two help to harvest some tree stars from the trees?"

"Yes, sir," Cyra gave a slight dip of her head, "of course."

Pterano's father nodded before spreading his wings and leaving the two of them to their duties. Once Pterano was sure his father was far enough away that he couldn't spy on them, he whirled around to face Cyra.

"What was all that about? What did he say to you?"

"It was nothing." The way Cyra refused to look him in the eye when she spoke let Pterano know that she wasn't being honest.

Cyra knew that he sensed something was amiss. It was hard to lie to someone she'd known since she was a youngling; someone who knew all of her nervous ticks.

"Don't worry about it, Pterano," she assured him, "it was nothing important. I promise."

She looked right at him that time, so Pterano decided to take her word for it. Maybe it really was nothing of much importance and he was simply being paranoid.

"Very well," he sighed, "if you say so, then I believe you."

"Good plan," Cyra teased with a smirk, "now come on. These tree stars aren't going to shake themselves."

Pterano was thrilled to see her normal spunk, and laughed heartily. "Of course. We should get moving, then."

He went on ahead, pretending he hadn't noticed Cyra nervously rubbing her arm from the corner of his eye.

There was indeed something bothering Cyra. Pterano could see it clear as the light of day, despite her previous reassurances. He watched her curiously as she nimbly swooped in between the branches, shaking loose some of the leaves.

Cyra counted each tree star as they fell, and looked at Pterano. "Are you going to help me or are you just going to stand there?"

"Hm? Oh! Yes, yes! Of course!"

The glare Cyra issued him was more than enough to send him speeding towards the tree. He began aiding her in the tedious task of pushing back and forth until something finally gave, although Cyra was doing enough pushing for the both of them and getting quite a bit of enjoyment in showing him up.

Pterano narrowed his eyes. Okay. Try to focus. He grunted, putting all his weight forward. Cyra stepped back, intrigued by this 'battle' between Pterano and the tree.

"Come on, you stubborn hunk of wood..." Pterano groaned, "...Budge! Woah—!"

There was a loud thwack and then a thud as Pterano fell backwards onto his haunches. Cyra didn't have to look twice to tell that the tree had won this round.

"Ugh... that was not my best landing." Pterano rubbed his back, feeling every muscle seemingly contract of it's own will. From above, he heard an all too familiar laugh.

"Of all the flyers to have witnessed such a display..." he mumbled, shaking his head, "...Kai is by far the worst."

The aforementioned flyer sauntered over, accompanied by another. "Why, look at our future leader, Rohan! The herd is in great hands."

"Thank you. Your praise is overwhelming," Pterano responded blandly, ignoring Kai's jab at him.

Cyra stripped another branch bare of it's leaves. "Envy is not a good look on you, Kai."

"Oho, big words coming from someone who will never leave the nest, since mother expects you to follow in her footsteps. Have you told her how you really feel about that, by the way?"

Pterano froze, eyes immediately fixating on Kai. What does he mean, 'how she really feels'?

"Ugh!" Cyra, in her frustration, accidentally snapped a branch in two.

"Did you just come here to get on my nerves? Or do you actually need something?"

"Not me." Kai stepped away to make room for Rohan, who hesitantly became the center of attention.

"Well... I didn't want to ask you here. Not with everyone around—"

"Oh, loosen up!" Kai slapped his friend on the back, "It's us. What are we going to say?"

"That's exactly why I wanted somewhere a bit more private." Rohan's friends and sensitive information just didn't quite mix.

"Just spit it out," Cyra grumbled impatiently, two talons massaging her forehead, "I have work to do."

Now Rohan seemed even more reluctant. "Well... I really just wanted some advice. I've been thinking of asking Kiara to be my mate, and as her best friend, I thought you might have some insight as to how I should ask her...?"

Cyra's demeanor completely changed in that moment. "Ah, finally!" She ran over, eagerly embracing him.

"I don't know anyone more perfect for my best friend than you, Rohan. She is crazy about you, you know that? Ever since the moment she first laid eyes on you when you were choking on a sweet berry."

Dark green eyes gleamed in excitement. He even completely glossed over the embarrassing part, and smiled fondly. "Really? Well, that's good, because she makes me crazy sometimes too."

"You see? You two are perfect for each other! We shouldn't waste any time, we need to get started right away. Come on!"

"Cyra," Pterano reeled her back in, "we need to do what my father asked of us. Remember?"

He turned to Rohan, "I am very happy for you both. This has definitely been long overdue, but I'm thrilled that you finally think you're ready to take the next step."

"N-Next step?" Rohan gulped, "What is that? Having hatchlings...? Maybe it's too soon—"

"No!" Cyra blurted out, "becoming mates doesn't mean you have to have hatchlings right away! Come on, don't count your hatchlings before they hatch, Rohan."

She erupted into hysterical laughter at her own joke, only stopping when she felt Pterano's gaze on her.

Pterano cleared his throat. "We should, ah, get back to work. Rohan... follow your heart. You know what to tell her."

A twig snapped behind him, and Pterano turned to see Cyra tossing aside two halves of a stick, a tight frown on her face. She worked silently, her eyes fixated on the ground.

"Well, we'll leave you to it," Kai announced, "I was just here for emotional support. Not that this one even needed it!"

He slapped Rohan's back. "With how nervous he was coming here, you'd think he was asking Cyra to be his mate!"

"Kai!" Rohan whined, "What's wrong with you? Don't you ever think before you speak?"

Cyra shot a menacing glare towards her brother, narrowing her eyes. "Are you planning to leave sometime today? We have things to do and unfortunately, no time to entertain fools like you."

Kai could take a hint, but he didn't need to be polite about it. "Fine. Don't forget to pull your head out of your butt."

"Same to you," Cyra replied flatly.

Pterano waited until the two males were out of earshot. "What in the world was that?"

"What?" Cyra asked grouchily.

"I don't even know where to begin," Pterano shook his head in disbelief, "what's all this 'how you really feel' nonsense Kai was speaking of? You told me being a healer like your mother would make you happy! You lied to me?"

"I didn't lie. I would be perfectly content being a healer, if it would make my family happy. Not all of us hate our parents." It was a low blow, and Cyra didn't even seem to care.

"As for my true feelings... no, being a healer is not completely ideal for me. But do you know what I'd rather do, Pterano? Come on, ask me!"

Pterano found himself stumbling over his words. "W-What...?"

"I want to be part of the guard," Cyra answered, her voice significantly softer, "I want to soar through the sky and patrol our territory, fending off any kind of danger. But I might as well be reaching for the stars. Only male flyers join the guard, and I had the bad luck to be born a girl. But I'll make do. I'll become a healer, since that's what's expected of me. That's part of being in a herd, Pterano. Your life is never truly your own, but you suck it up and deal with it."

Pterano stood there in silence, having to practically force his mouth open. "Then... why don't we make our own life, together?"

"W-What?!" Cyra was flabbergasted, so much that she almost couldn't speak, "Pterano, what are you saying?"

"We can just be ourselves!" Pterano pressed, grabbing her hand, "After all, isn't that what you want?"

"N-No! You're getting me all wrong!" She snatched her hands away, "I don't want to run away! Are you crazy? What about our families, our friends? It would break their hearts!"

"I don't understand you!" Pterano threw his arms up in the air, "I thought you wanted this! I saw how upset you were getting when Kai joked about Rohan asking you to be his mate. Whenever they talked about mating, I could see you get visibly upset!"

There was a slight hesitation. "So you think you know everything about me? I was angry because Kai was being an idiot as usual. Just because we've been friends since we were kids, it doesn't mean you know what's going on in my head! I mean, seriously! Because of that, you think I want to mate with you?"

"You needn't make it sound like such a horrible fate," Pterano spat, "I'm simply trying to show that I'm there for you. Like I always have been, and you treat me like… like I'm nothing!"

"So you just throw it back in my face? You were only kind to me so you could use it against me?" Her voice raised a few octaves, attracting the attention of the flyers around them.

"Quiet down, will you!" Pterano whispered as he grabbed her wrist.

"Oh, don't you worry," Cyra smiled wryly,"This conversation ends here. I can't even stand to look at you right now."

"As if you haven't been avoiding looking me in the eye this entire time," Pterano mumbled under his breath, despite his better judgement.

For a moment, she looked like she could actually kill him. But rather than letting her rage explode, Cyra chose not to waste her energy on the male. Still fuming she took to the skies, putting as much distance as she could between her and him. Pterano watched her depart, feeling a terrible mix of emotions.

Sofos tutted and shook his head. "Y'know, sounds to me like you really messed up. Can't force someone to do something they don't wanna."

Pterano rolled his eyes. "I wasn't trying to force her, I was just giving her an option. She was the one who overreacted. Besides, I'm not finished. I'd appreciate if you'd let me give you the whole story first before you jump to any conclusions."

"A one sided story is always incomplete," the elder responded, "how do I know what things were like from Cyra's point of view, or your father's? All I'm getting is what you saw with your own eyes, and I'll tell ya, you're not exactly doing yourself any favors."

Pterano rubbed his forehead. "Do you want to hear the rest or not? I won't waste my time telling a story to someone who doesn't even care to hear it."

Sofos raised his hands up in a surrendering motion. "Fair 'nough. I was just pulling your leg, anyways." He smirked, "carry on."

Pterano huffed. "Anyways... Cyra had gone to her best friend, Kiara, for comfort after what I said to her. Emotions were running high, and neither of us were thinking straight at the time."

"Well," Sofos sighed, "that's how it is when you're young and in love, isn't it?"

"I can't believe him!" Cyra created small dust clouds with her wings as she darted back and forth.

"Men! They're all the same! He talked to me like I didn't know what I wanted, like I was a hatchling! Clearly, I can't possibly be just as smart as him or even smarter, can I?"

Kiara had been listening incredibly patiently while Cyra launched into a litany of angry protests, and immediately seized her opportunity to speak.

"Cyra... dearest, we've known each other our whole lives. I know better than to assume Pterano was the only cause of your fight."

"Well, he was!" Things are so different between us now. It's like he doesn't trust me anymore, or see me as an equal!"

"Now I know that's a lie," Kiara patted the empty space next to her, gesturing for her friend to sit, "Pterano may be many things, but he's not Sierra."

A snort escaped Cyra's beak. "Hm. I guess so. Oh, by the way... did you see Rohan?"

"Mm. Yes," the other sighed, "He... collided into me when flying in to greet me and then blurted out that he wanted to be my mate."

"Pfft. That sounds exactly like him. Did you...?"

"Of course I said yes," Kiara laughed heartily, "why wouldn't I? Although I'm sure he intended for it to be more romantic, if only he hadn't panicked as soon as he saw me. But forget about all that. You, miss, are trying to change the subject. So tell me... what's really on your mind?"

Cyra winced, cursing herself in her head. Kiara knew her too well.

"...Fine. It does have to do with Pterano… and his father. It's just all so complicated and I kind of do want to run away."

"So Pterano wasn't totally out of line suggesting that, after all?"

"Hmph. I guess. But he was being so pushy! I... I panicked. It felt like I was being backed into a corner and I couldn't get away. I probably really hurt his feelings... but I didn't mean to react the way I did! I was just... scared."

"Don't tell me. Tell him," Kiara advised, "anyway, you were saying something about his father having something to do with all this? What was that?"

Cyra had to force herself to swallow the bitter lump in her throat. She hesitated a moment, closing her eyes and drawing in a breath. If there was anyone she could trust wholeheartedly, it was Kiara.

"...Pterano's father threatened me."

"He did what?" Dark, murky blue eyes were suddenly as turbulent as waves crashing against the rocks.

"H-He told me I was a distraction," Cyra said, sitting up, "an obstacle... to Pterano's future. He warned me to keep my distance, at least until after Pterano became leader."

"And?" Kiara asked impatiently, "what did he say he'd do if you didn't?"

"He... He said he would send me away." Cyra's voice broke, and it took a great effort for her to keep from bursting into tears in front of her best friend.

"He can't do that!" Kiara's voice boomed, sending an echo bouncing off of the walls. She stood up, walking right past Cyra.

"Some great leader he is! How in the world are we supposed to trust him to ensure our survival if he sneaks around behind our backs and uses intimidation to get what he wants?"

Cyra glanced at the female, visible worry on her face. If Kiara had one fatal flaw, it was her anger. It was like a storm, ravaging the land and destroying everything in it's path. Cyra knew that from experience.

"Kiara— Kiara, calm down! Someone's going to hear you!"

"Calm down? How can you ask me to calm down? That piece of shit is pulling some dirty tricks! Who knows how many times he's done this?! I—" she choked back a sob, eyes brimmed with tears.

"Kiara." Cyra's voice was gentle, her hand traveling up towards her friend's shoulder, "I know your anger comes from a place of love, but getting into trouble with Pterano's father, the leader of our herd, will not accomplish anything. Don't you agree?"

Kiara opened her mouth to argue, but sighed defeatedly when she realized she didn't have a better argument. "I hope you realize I'm not going to take this sitting down, Cyra."

"Of course, of course. I'd expect nothing less from you, but all I'm asking is for you to be smart about this. Please. He clearly has more power than we realize, and I want to avoid causing a ruckus."

Green eyes met blue as she nuzzled the other flyer's beak. "Please, don't worry. I'll be alright. I always am."

"This is so stupid," Kiara sniffled, rolling her eyes, "you came to me for help and here I am, leaning on you for comfort instead of the other way around."

"No, no," Cyra shook her head, "you are my best friend, and I am yours. We lean on each other."

Kiara nodded her head, looking towards the entrance of her home where Pterano's remorseful face greeted the two flyers.

"Pt-Pterano...?" Cyra sounded like she didn't quite trust that her mind wasn't playing tricks on her. But when he addressed Kiara and she replied back, Cyra knew it was real.

"Kiara, you're looking well," Pterano complimented, "did you clean yourself up for a certain someone?"

"Don't worry, Pterano," Kiara replied with a sigh, "I said yes."

A delighted smile crept up onto the male's face. "Ah, wonderful! Congratulations on your union."

"Um... thank you. I appreciate it, truly," She offered a polite smile, "...did you need something?"

"Oh, I just wanted to speak with Cyra," came his direct reply, "I hope you don't mind if I borrow her for a bit."

"Oh, no, go ahead!" Kiara urged, "if you want some privacy, well... this is my nest."

Pterano chuckled heartily. " Always a joker, Kiara, my dear. That's what I like about you. But you needn't worry, we won't impose on you any longer. Cyra, if you will?"

Cyra had not said a word the entire time, and found herself struggling to speak at first. "Oh- um... right. I'll see you later, Kiara."

Kiara gave a nod. "Safe travels to you both."

The subsequent flight was awkward, to say the least. Pterano flew ahead of Cyra while she attempted to figure out what exactly his angle was. Did he come to apologize, or did he fly all this way just to rub it in her face? She wasn't sure which was worse.

They finally landed, and in a rather familiar spot— a roaring waterfall overlooking the cliffside, spilling downwards into the lake below. As the bright circle began to set, the light reflecting against the water created a beautiful display of colors in the sky.

"You brought me to the Falls?" Cyra questioned, shifting uncomfortably around the huge rock they had both perched upon, just beside the waterfall. They could hear each other, but no one else could hear them. It was perfect.

"Of course," Pterano answered, "we've divulged all our deepest secrets here, haven't we? This isn't any different."

Cyra looked away, slightly annoyed. "Pterano, bringing me to our favorite place isn't going to fix anything. You know that."

"Yes, yes, of course," the male agreed, "but it is a start, isn't it? Cyra, I need to tell you how I feel. To explain myself."

Cyra's eyes softened, and she decided to let her guard down. "I guess that's only fair. Well... I'm listening."

"First, I..." his words died on his tongue, and he drew a sharp breath inwards to regain his composure. "...I'm sorry. For trying to force you to do something I wanted. I was completely thoughtless, and I didn't even stop to think about how you might feel."

Hearing the words 'I'm sorry' from his mouth wasn't as cathartic as Cyra was expecting. She felt more guilty than satisfied. "Pterano, wait—"

"I'm not finished. Please, just hear me out," he requested, finally mustering the courage to look her in the eye.

"Cyra... I do love you. More than I can put into words. I honestly don't think it would be a stretch to say I've loved you since we were kids. Perhaps not in that way, of course, but having you as a friend was like the bright circle breaking through the sky after an endless storm. It was the only light I had when all I could see ahead of me was a lifetime of darkness."

Cyra soon found her vision being blurred by tears. Pterano always had a way with words, but this was simply overwhelming. The poor girl was overcome. She refused to let him see it, but that was easier said than done.

"It's true. I want to spend my life with you," Pterano continued, "I will not deny that. But I'm ashamed to say that I never even considered the possibility that... that you might not feel the same way. You are my friend, first and foremost, and not an object to be won. I only hope you can forgive me for thinking otherwise."

"I already have, you doofus." Cyra could no longer hold back the tears that now flowed freely.

"But what I can't forgive is you thinking I don't feel the same way. I love you too, Pterano, but back there I... I panicked. You were suggesting we flee, but we're just- we're so young! We only have the most basic of fighting skills, we'd be sitting eggs on our own!"

"I know, I know." Pterano opened his arms invitingly, and Cyra gratefully accepted.

"You know I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth sometimes. It's a curse, really."

"Oh, you're not cursed!" Cyra laughed, "you're just an idiot sometimes, but in a charming sort of way."

Pterano pulled back slightly, cocking his head to the side. "What do you say we just call it even? I guess the both of us have a penchant for blubbering idiots, hm?"

"I mean, it's no surprise that I do." Cyra shrugged, "the only male other than my father that I've been around is my brother. And Kai is the definition of a blubbering idiot."

"You are right about that," the male flyer agreed with a chuckle, "he makes me look like a genius."

"That's my brother you're talking about," Cyra warned, "Only I get to make fun of him."

"Oh? Well, what are you going to do about it? Talk me to death?" He teased, only to eat his words as he slipped on the wet rock and lost his footing— until Cyra caught him by the skin of his chest.

"I won't talk you to death," she cooed, "but you would be dead meat if it weren't for me."

Pterano chuckled nervously. "Ah, so you'll help me then?"

"Ha!" Cyra tossed her head back and cackled, her eyes then going completely deadpan. "No."

She released her hold on him, letting him fall backwards into the water. He emerged moments later, coughing up water as he gripped the surface of the rock for leverage.

"I- I say, that was a very dirty move!"

"I can't believe you didn't see it coming," Cyra laughed, only to be tackled by Pterano as a result of not paying attention, ironically enough.

Loud, foamy splashes disturbed the lake as the pair chased after each other, the carefree laughter that only came with youth ricocheting off the cliffs. Moments like this were few and far between, but when they did occur, the flyers took care to cherish them. After all, they would never be this young again.

Silence reigned among the pair as the weight of Pterano's story sunk in. Sofos now felt more sympathetic towards Pterano. Losing someone that close to one's heart was a different kind of pain, one that could only be healed by the eventual passage of time.

"She wasn't ready to leave her family or her home," Pterano explained, "neither was I, despite my previous... enthusiasm. But that moment, as ordinary as it was, it was the happiest moment of my entire life, Sofos."

Sofos could only smile apologetically. "I'm sure it was. But... where does your father tie into all this? What happened?"

"I'm getting to that. I'd really appreciate it if you'd hold your questions until the end."

"Well, maybe quit it with the depressing commentary in the middle of telling your story?" Sofos suggested, "just a thought."

Pterano glared at the other from the corner of his eye before straightening himself up.

"Carrying on... the cold and dry times ended up being quite harsh. Of course, living out in the Mysterious Beyond everyday was a battle. But that season, it was a whole different kind of ordeal, one that my father had never quite dealt with before. He cracked down, and he cracked down hard. Things began to change, and some of it was good... but it didn't last forever."

"Twelve eggs?" Kai's mouth gaped at the sight before him, "Kiara, you and Rohan are going to be very busy. You won't be seeing the light of day for a looong time."

"For once I agree with him," Cyra weighed in, "how in the world are you going to keep track of all those hatchlings?"

"Oh quiet, the both of you," Tress interjected, pushing through her friends to offer her assistance, "twelve hatchlings is wonderful! There'll never be a dull moment in your nest, that's for sure."

Kai shrugged, still skeptical. "I mean, yeah, but there's no way you'll be able to keep track of all of them. Hatchlings don't listen to anyone. You'll turn your back for one moment, and they'll be gone. With twelve of them? I can't even imagine. Makes me sick just thinking about it."

With a loud thwack Tress smacked Kai upside the head to shut him up. "Not helping."

"What?" Kai threw his hands up in defense, "I didn't say anything wrong, I was just being honest! If I ever had that many hatchlings, I'd probably lose half of them on the first day alone!"

"Oh, that's comforting. Just what every woman wants to hear." Tress rolled her eyes before lowering her voice to a whisper.

"Just don't open your mouth, alright? You terrify Rohan anymore and he'll probably start having second thoughts." She gestured to Rohan, who was in the process of anxiously chewing his talons off.

Kai visibly cringed. On the contrary, Kiara didn't seem the least bit worried, despite her mate being a nervous wreck.

"What about you, Kiara?" inquired Pterano, who had been waiting for a chance to speak, "how do you feel about becoming a mother? I certainly hope you're not as afraid as poor Rohan over there."

"Well..." Kiara shifted her weight slightly, "I wouldn't say I'm not scared. I mean, we're going to be parents! It's so new, and so terrifying. I'm just thinking, how am I supposed to take care of a kid when I still feel like one myself? But, I feel a little more hopeful knowing that Rohan and I are going to do it together, and that he's every bit as afraid as I am."

Rohan slowly tore his gaze from the ground to meet Kiara's. He then responded to her smile with one of his own- if she believed in them and thought that they could do this, then he would believe so too.

"...I hate to interrupt the moment," Pterano cut in, "But shall I call in Sierra and the others? They have been waiting for... well, a while now."

"Yes, yes," Kiara laughed, "let them in. It's mostly Zephyr and Lila who want to see the eggs. I doubt Rinkus and Sierra have any interest in that sort of thing."

"Very well. We'll leave you to it." Pterano turned to leave, "we should get going, anyways. Father will have my head if I'm late."

Kiara cocked her head sympathetically. "More training?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Not much I can do about it, I'm afraid." He shrugged resignedly, "Well, good day to you!"

Pterano had begun to despise flying. Repeated training drills that tested the very limits of a flyer were starting to take their toll, and the young male had honestly begun to prefer the ground over the skies. The scarcity of food due to the dry time certainly didn't help either, leaving him with a lower tolerance for his father's usual tyranny.

No sooner had he barely managed a landing, his father was already commanding him to take off again. Pterano moaned, his body falling slack against the ground. Just one minute, and then he'd go back to being the son his father wanted.

"Up, Pterano! On your feet!" His father screeched, "if you were being pursued by sharpteeth you would be dead right now!"

"But I'm not," Pterano grumbled, wincing as he stood, "father, please, can't I please at least have a bite to eat? I'm starving."

"No." The other replied firmly, "if we want to get through the dry times, we must conserve our food, which means eating less. A true leader must do what is good for the herd, not what is good for himself."

"I'm aware," the younger male griped, "although I don't see how me starving is going to help anyone."

Pterano's father crossed his hands behind his back, holding his head high. "Are you going to continue blathering on or are you going to fly?"

Pterano was tired, hungry and thirsty. His father had pushed Pterano to a breaking point, and he was just about ready to snap. "I don't want to fly! I want to spend time with Cyra and our friends, and I don't care what you have to say about it!"

"Cyra?" The older flyer repeated calmly, tapping his chin for a moment before a spark of recognition flashed across his face, "Ah. So that's what this is about."

There was a disturbing lack of a reaction, and it was highly unsettling.

"Father...?" Pterano practically squeaked. His father yelling at him was bad enough, but when he was calm? That was dangerous. "Father, I'm—"

"Now it all makes sense," he interrupted, walking right past his son, "your mind is still on that girl, so you're unable to achieve your full potential."

"Father!" Pterano's shrill screech followed the elder as he pursued him. "Stop, please! I'm begging you! Will you please just stop and listen to me?"

His father did stop. He turned around, rough hands grabbing Pterano's so tightly that he thought they might crack under the pressure.

"Don't you worry. We'll take care of that... obstacle soon enough. Then we can get back to your training." He stormed off, leaving Pterano standing there.

To say Pterano was worried would be a massive understatement. The flyer was going into a full blown panic, desperately racked his mind thinking of how to stop his father from ruining his life. He flew far and wide, but all were occupied with previous responsibilities. All except for the nesting mothers. He barely missed a beat before the realization dawned on him.

"That's it!" Not a second was wasted in flying towards Kiara's home. If only his father could see how he was flying right now!

Pterano narrowly avoided crashing into the face of the cliff, slowing down so as to make as gentle of a landing as possible. He floated in, letting his body drift to the ground.

Kiara was more than surprised to see him. "Pterano? What are you doing here? I thought you were busy training?"

A quick scan of his surroundings and Pterano hopped onto his feet. "Is Rohan here right now?"

"Uh... no?" Kiara answered, still quite confused, "now my turn to ask something. What are you doing here? And would you take a moment to sit down? You look exhausted."

She did have a point. Pterano plopped onto the ground, taking a moment to gather himself. "I need to tell you something. But first things first, can you keep a secret?"

Now, the concern in Kiara's eyes was a bit more visible. "Of course I can. Is... is this about your father?"

"Why, yes!" Pterano confirmed, "how did you know?"

There was a moment of hesitation from Kiara's end. Like she almost didn't want to tell him.

Pterano narrowed his eyes, noticing the signs of guilt and reluctance. "It also has to do with Cyra. I had a feeling my father said something to her, but she refused to tell me."

A look of surprise flashed across Kiara's face. "So you do know."

"Know what?" Pterano looked up, "Did she tell you something?"

"She did," answered the female, "I don't think she wanted me to tell you or anybody else, but if you already had a gut feeling, well... there's really no point in keeping it from you, is there?"

"No, there isn't," Pterano's eyes hardened, and for a moment, he looked exactly like his father, "...tell me all that she told you."

Kiara did not spare even a single detail. As the son of their supposedly noble leader and being next in line for the title, she knew Pterano was in a position to speak out against this injustice.

"...That about covers what Cyra told me."

"I knew it," Pterano didn't appear shocked, but rather sounded like he had been wounded, "why... why didn't she tell me...?"

"I don't know," Kiara said softly, "maybe she just didn't want to worry you."

"But I thought we were friends!" Pterano exclaimed, "I tell her everything that's on my mind, and that's only because I trust her more than anyone! Does she not feel the same way about me...?"

Kiara stood up, wrapping an arm around him, "I'm sure it's not like that, Pterano. Look, I've known Cyra for a long time. Longer than you have, even. And I know that when it comes to serious matters like these... well, Cyra would rather deal with it on her own than make anyone worry."

Pterano understood that much, at least. She never told him about not wanting to become a healer since it would make him worry. However, that didn't make up for the fact that she lied, and to him, of all flyers!

"I understand, Kiara, but that doesn't make it alright. We are her closest friends and allies! Who can she trust, if not us?"

I'm sure she knows that, Pterano. But that's another conversation for another day. Right now, we need to do something about your father before he has a chance to do anything to Cyra."

"You're right." Pterano took a deep breath, stroking the bottom of his beak in thought, "and we need to act fast."

Kiara nodded. "You're his son, and future leader. Couldn't you reason with him, try to reach a compromise?"

"Hm. If only it were that easy," Pterano said dryly, "how can I reason with someone who acts without reason? He's never listened to me. He didn't even listen to me just now when he flew off after finding out I was still seeing Cyra!"

Kiara sighed in exasperation, and it was hard to tell who exactly she was angry at. She paced around the cave, settling down beside her nest of eggs.

"It doesn't matter if I am his son," Pterano stated, "so long as I don't take my position as leader and start a family of my own, he will continue to see me as a naive little hatchling."

His eyes drifted down towards the eggs laying idly in the nest, and then at their mother. Speaking of hatchlings...

"But perhaps... you could talk to him," he finally suggested after an eternity of silence.

"Me?" Kiara exclaimed incredulously, "Pterano, if he won't listen to you, what makes you think I'll have any better luck?"

"Because, you are the first of us to have little ones of your own," Pterano answered, "the elders of this herd will finally start viewing you as an equal! And that includes my father. He will listen to what you have to say, I can tell you that for certain."

Kiara was torn. Pterano's father had more than enough connections to get away with whatever plots he hatched up from within the shadows. At the same time, her best friend's future was at stake.

"I'm not sure about this, Pterano. You know I really want to help, but I'm going to be a mother soon. I need to be there for my family, I can't risk everything—"

"You needn't worry about that!" Pterano coaxed, "if you go speak to my father, I will be right behind you, ready to swoop in should he try one of his dastardly tricks. And if you won't do it for me, then... do it for Cyra. She doesn't deserve any of this, does she?"

His voice softened. "...Please, I beg you. I can't let him send her away."

Kiara met Pterano's gaze, practically feeling the pain she could so plainly see in his eyes. "Well, Cyra is my best friend..." a long silence hung in the air for a moment, lasting for what felt like an eternity.

"...And I'd never be able to forgive myself if I just sat here and let her future be ruined. Don't you worry, Pterano. She won't be going anywhere."

The bright circle had long since retreated behind the mountains as Kiara flew behind Pterano in the darkness, focusing intently on the sound of his wings flapping through the air.

"My father comes here every night to think, without fail. I actually happened to come across it one day when I was younger, but I never let on that I knew of his secret hiding place."

Pterano grimaced. "I should have known. He was always so... secretive. This debacle probably only scratches the surface of all he's been hiding."

"Well, we all need time to unwind." Kiara remained silent for a moment before opening her mouth again, "and being a leader is an emotionally heavy task, Pterano. I'm not defending him, or what he said about Cyra, but I do think a bit of understanding towards your father would go a long way."

Pterano was too preoccupied with scanning the ground below to give a response besides a grunt. Then, from the cover of the trees, he spotted it— a brown flyer, cautiously approaching the lake. He looked right and then left. Once all was clear, he let his guard down to take a drink.

"Alright, I've got him. Remember, act casual and I'll be watching in case things take a bad turn."

"Yes, yes," Kiara gave a dismissive wave, "I know all that. But Pterano, are you sure you don't want to try talking things out with him? Nothing happened to Cyra tonight, perhaps he only said all that in anger."

"No. I know my father." Pterano's voice was practically a whisper as he felt the nighttime breeze on his scales.

"He might not do it today, he might not do it tomorrow, but he will do what he promised. If nothing else, he is a man of his word."

Kiara nodded. She used the wind to carry her light body through the air and down to the ground, letting her eyes roam so as to not raise any suspicion.

The dark brown flyer looked up as he watched the gray flyer gracefully float down towards the earth. "Kiara?"

His tone was one of surprise, but otherwise was completely monotonous. "I didn't realize you liked to come here as well."

Kiara cast a polite smile in his direction, trying not to let her apprehension show. "Well, we all need a place to relax and unwind, don't we? Besides, I could say the same for you, sir."

"Agreed. And please, you needn't be so formal." He paused to take a sip of water from the lake, "call me Azar. You're practically all grown up now, let's treat each other as equals, hm?"

Just being in his presence was enough to make Kiara tremble with fear, despite his welcoming disposition.

"Of course," she answered at last, "there's nothing I would like more."

"Wonderful! I'm glad to hear that," Azar offered a pleased smile, "so, how are the eggs? I presume Rohan is watching them?"

"They're fine. I mean, they're eggs. They don't really... do much," Kiara shrugged, "and yes, Rohan is with them right now. We take turns watching them."

Pterano was practically at the edge of the branch he perched himself upon. He was familiar with his father's tactic of changing the subject and delaying matters further, and it was killing him to simply sit by and watch.

Pterano wasn't the only one who realized his father was stalling- Kiara knew it too. "...Azar? I know this is probably the last thing you want to hear, especially since you're not on duty, but... there's something that's been weighing on my mind."

The male froze for a moment, narrowing his eyes in what was clear suspicion. It lasted for a fleeting moment, but it was unmistakeable. "Nonsense, my child. Go on."

"With all due respect, sir, I think you're being a bit unfair on your son. He's trying his hardest to meet your expectations, and if I'm being honest, sending Cyra away will only make him resent you more."

She had to force out the words, and even that took an immense effort. She straightened her posture, dark blue eyes staring straight into his black ones.

"...It's not right, and certainly not something I'd expect from our leader."

A look of surprise flashed across his face, quickly washed away by anger as he began to back Kiara into a corner. "I understand Cyra is your friend, but this is in no way any of your concern."

"I'm sorry, but it is," Kiara blurted out, "have you even stopped to think how that might affect her family? Just sending her away without a chance to even say goodbye? And for what? Just because your son doesn't want a fate that you've forced upon him?"

"You are out of line!" Azar boomed, the sheer volume of his voice shaking some of the leaves from the branches. He edged closer to the female, his tall form towering over her like a tree blocking out the bright circle.

"I have more power than a child like you could ever fathom. Back down now or I'll deal with you and your pathetic friend at the same time."

Kiara looked terrified. She wanted to fly away, but she'd known Cyra longer than she'd known anyone. If she ran away now, she would be failing her best friend.

"Then I'll make sure everyone knows what a power mad tyrant you are! I swear it!" She regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth, but did not back down.

Azar's already rising anger came to a head. He grabbed the smaller female by the neck, lifting her up to eye level.

"Ah, a fighting spirit," he mocked with gritted teeth, talons digging deeper into her neck, "you know, I always found that admirable about you, Kiara. You've never tolerated any injustice from anyone. It's too bad that you don't know when to quit."

Pterano found himself frozen with fear as he watched Kiara thrash around in his father's stone cold grip, desperately trying to break free. Even in the darkness, he could see the color drain from her body. He retreated further into the shadows, trying to avoid being spotted.

"Bastard! You'll never get away with this!" Kiara beat his arm with her fist, legs kicking back and forth.

"I already have," He growled, flinging her away from him, like he were throwing a tiny pebble. Kiara's body slammed against the hard surface of a nearby tree with a bone shattering force that seemed more vicious than any sharptooth attack.

"Kiara...!" Pterano slapped his hands over his mouth to stifle himself, using all his willpower to not cry out for his friend.

Suddenly, Azar's entire body changed, as if he had snapped out of a trance. He looked down, and saw Kiara's broken body laying before him, her blood staining the grass. "What...?"

"Oh… oh, no. Ancestors, what have I done...?" He looked lost, bewildered eyes matching his movements as he paced back and forth. He then mumbled something intelligible, taking off in the opposite direction. He left Kiara there to die, alone.

Except she wouldn't be alone. Once he was sure his father was gone, Pterano refused to waste another second in gliding down to where she lay, bleeding out slowly. He drew out a quivering gasp, bringing a hand towards his beak.

"Oh, Kiara... oh, no. Please... this can't be happening."

"Pt-Pterano... is that you...?"

He was relieved to hear her voice, and yet, he couldn't stop the tears from flowing.

"Y-Yes! I'm here," he managed to answer, squeezing her hand, "I'm so, so, sorry, I- I never meant for things to turn out this way... I-I was scared—"

"I know," Kiara rasped, "tell him... tell Rohan that I love him, and that I'm sorry I won't be coming home to him. To our children."

"I'll make sure he knows. I promise," Pterano sobbed, racked by sadness and guilt. He was the one who convinced her to come out here, he promised her it would be fine. If the others found out, they'd never forgive him. Cyra would never forgive him.

"Pterano?" Kiara choked, "Will... will you stay with me...?"

Pterano nodded tearfully. "I will. Of course I will."

It was the least he could do for her. He held her in his arms, the nighttime breeze swirling around them as her breathing started to quiet. He winced, knowing that the end was near. He'd seen it before, and quite hoped never to see it that closely again. Just as he hazily began to recall a long-forgotten memory, he felt Kiara's body go limp in his arms. He looked down and saw her chest fall, one final breath escaping her. Then, nothing.

Pterano sat there for a moment, paralyzed by shock. He still wasn't entirely convinced this wasn't a horrible sleep story. Upon returning to the real world, he realized it was no vision. Left with no choice but to abandon Kiara, he quickly took off before he was found in such an incriminating position. The grove of trees grew distant as he flew, serving as a grim reminder that he lost a piece of his heart there, and he would never get it back.

Pterano hadn't gotten a wink of sleep, even when Kiara was discovered not long after. How could he rest, knowing that he was complicit in the death of his friend? Even closing his eyes seemed an impossible task to him right now. When he did, she was all he could see.

Even the skies seemed to be mourning. The bright circle was obstructed by thick clouds, casting a dark shadow on the valley below, and all of it's denizens. The air was uncomfortably humid as Pterano and his friends gathered, the tension surrounding them unbearable.

Rohan sat on a rock just in front of the Falls, barely flowing with any water. He was no longer a hysterical mess, but it still hurt all the same. Tress had her arms around him, rubbing his shoulder.

"Rohan, it's alright to cry," she assured him, moments away from bursting into tears herself, "we all know how much you cared about her. I promise, no one is expecting you to keep it together through all of this."

"I know," came Rohan's monotonous reply. "It still hurts, but I think I've cried so much that I just don't have anymore tears left in me. To be honest, it's still hard for me to believe that she's really gone."

Tress nodded, briefly directing her saddened gaze towards the ground. "I understand. It still feels like she's sitting right here with us, doesn't it?"

"AARGHH!"

Sierra's yell of anguish startled everyone, but not more so than his fist making contact with a nearby rock, pummeling straight through and breaking it into several smaller pieces. His arms convulsed with rage, the rush of energy coursing through his body masking the pain in his fist.

"When I find out who did this, they're going to wish they were the one who died!"

Pterano was unsurprised by Sierra's fury, for even someone as brash as himself was good friends with Kiara. It was hard not to be. He began to list her qualities in his head, right as Kai said exactly what Pterano was thinking.

"Kiara never did anything to anybody," he said, comforting Cyra while she tried to regain her composure, "she was so kind and smart, and so brave."

"Yes, she was smart," Rinkus added, bringing a claw to his chin as he often did when thinking, "but I wonder... Kiara never goes outside after dark unless someone's with her."

Tress rolled her eyes and scoffed, visibly annoyed. "What's your point, Rinkus? This is no time for your usual nonsense."

"No, no," Lila spoke up, "he does have a point. She was so excited to start a family, and to think that she'd be careless enough to go that far from home, especially after dark? It doesn't really seem to add up, does it?"

"Alright, let's not get ahead of ourselves," Zephyr intervened, "it could have easily been a sharptooth flyer. And nobody's perfect. Even Kiara might have had a lapse in judgement."

"Yes... and that 'lapse in judgement' led to her death," Rinkus murmured under his breath.

"What does any of it even matter?" Cyra cried out, "Don't any of you know any respect? My best friend lost her life! This isn't the time for your stupid theories and ideas!"

Her grief was palpable, her pain practically drawn all over her face. She shook her head in dismay and flew away, in desperate need of some time away from them.

"Cyra!" Tress took after her friend, making sure she didn't do anything too drastic.

"...It wasn't a sharptooth, Zephyr," Rohan said, finally revealing his thoughts on the matter, putting all eyes on him.

"It couldn't have been. When I found her, there were no claw marks or any sign of a struggle. The only wound I saw was on her head, like she'd hit her head really hard on something and then bled out. Whoever killed her... they knew what they were doing. It was someone among us."

Rohan's words prompted Pterano to immediately look up, his eyes filled with fear and dread.

"Are you sure?" He asked, trying to appear casual. While he wanted his father to face the consequences for what he'd done, he also felt an overwhelming urge to keep the truth hidden.

Sierra glared at Pterano, trying to remain discreet. To an untrained eye Pterano might have seemed genuine, but Sierra had known the flyer long enough to identify the small signs of guilt and anxiety. Pterano was aware of that fact, as he could practically feel Sierra's gaze on him.

"No, I'm not sure," Rohan answered dejectedly, "I'm not sure of anything anymore, really. Even if I did find out who did it, I don't think I'd actually want revenge. At this point, I just want closure."

Kai wrapped his forearms around his friend, holding him close. Meanwhile Sierra, who was ruled by emotions rather than logic, made his true feelings known. He quickly approached Pterano.

"Say, Pterano, you've been awfully quiet," he hissed in an accusatory voice, "where were you the night it happened?"

Upon meeting Sierra's angry orange eyes, Pterano felt himself wanting to retreat. But to run away would be confirming everything the darker flyer already suspected. "H-How dare you? I was training with my father!"

"Sierra!" Zephyr grabbed him by the shoulders, physically removing him from the situation, "Stop it! This is a difficult time for all of us, and trying to blame someone without any proof only makes it worse. Do you hear me?"

Sierra looked down to where Zephyr's hands rested on his forewing. With an angry snort, he snatched his arm away.

"You ain't my ma, Zephyr, and I'm getting real sick of you actin' like it!" He flew off still fuming, covering Zephyr in a cloud of dust.

"Sometimes, I don't know why I bother," Zephyr brushed the dirt off of her scales, "does he think I enjoy being his damage control all the time?"

She groaned in disgust, gliding in the opposite direction with Lila not too far behind.

Rinkus began to go after his friend, until his eye managed to catch something subtle from Pterano. Something he almost missed. The flyer was very expressive, his body and face revealing more he probably intended.

Pterano noticed Rinkus surveying him, and immediately stopped what he was doing, assuming a more neutral position. Luckily, Kai was there to break the silence. Thank goodness. Once Pterano had turned his attention the other way, Rinkus was gone.

"Tough crowd, huh?" The golden-brown flyer chuckled awkwardly, trying his best to lighten the tension. If he couldn't distract everyone from their negative feelings, no other flyer could. But this was difficult, even for him.

"Um... I should go," Rohan murmured as he began to walk away, "I think I've just made everyone upset. Besides, I should relieve my mother of watching over the eggs."

He didn't wait for anyone to protest, and after all, who would? There wasn't anything anyone could say to remedy the situation.

With no one else to comfort, Kai went on his way. Soon enough, Pterano found himself standing alone, his father's words from long ago echoing in his head. A good leader must be willing to stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone. Pterano shook his head, as if to shake the memory from his mind.

"Why am I remembering that all of a sudden...?" He wondered, but deep down, he knew exactly why.

Sofos found himself at a loss for words, which was a first. After all he'd witnessed in his lifetime, he usually always had something to say about anything.

Pterano threw his hands up, seemingly in defeat. "That is why I was so reluctant to tell you, you see. You must think I'm the worst flyer that's ever lived—" he lifted a finger, "no, the worst dinosaur that's ever lived!"

"Alright, alright. Settle down," Sofos laughed, "you're being a tad overdramatic."

"Am I? I mean, you've heard it with your own ears! I let my friend die, and then I lied about what I did!" His voice began to break, the tears returning along with the painful memories.

"Well, you're right about all that," Sofos agreed, "but this story ain't even finished, is it?"

"No." Pterano took up a more despondent position. His head was on his knees, arms hugging his legs, "it gets worse, I'm afraid."

"Alright, then." The elder's voice was slightly softer, "I'll reserve all judgement until the end. But I'm telling you, I still don't think you're cursed, or the 'worst dinosaur that's ever lived', as you say. You've just made a lot of mistakes."

Pterano released a sigh trapped within his chest. "If only everyone saw it that way."

In just a few short cycles of the night circle, Pterano felt as if he had aged several seasons. The dry times were harsh, unexpectedly so, and his herd was ill-prepared. Not that he could place any blame- no one had anticipated for things to carry on like this for so long.

He craned his head towards the clutch of eggs sitting just a little ways away from him, having promised his sister he would watch them. Scanning the sky, he looked for any sign of her.

As if on cue, a familiar screech echoed throughout the air. Pterano watched Tress glide gently downwards, carrying a bundle of sticks in her beak. She landed slowly, tossing the sticks down into a pile beside her nest.

"Goodness, I never thought I'd become so familiar with the taste of sticks." She grimaced, spitting on the ground a few times to get the taste off of her tongue.

"Oh, thank you so much for watching them, Pterano," Tress thanked her brother, giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze, "I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for you. Kai's so busy with patrol, I barely even see him these days. I mean, I'm basically on my own."

A wave of guilt briefly overcame Pterano. He wasn't to blame for the changing of the land that led to scarcer food and water, but still felt responsible for the suffering his loved ones were going through.

"Well, our situation is quite precarious, you know." He began assisting Tress in weaving some of the sticks into the nest, "the guard is spread far too thin, and they need new, younger flyers to cover more ground. Kai just happens to be the perfect candidate."

"I know, I know," muttered Tress as she worked with her brother, "besides, being on the guard has been Kai's dream since he was old enough to fly. And I'm happy for him! Really, I am, it's just..."

She sighed resignedly. "...I wish he weren't missing out on this. I wanted us to do this together."

Pterano's eyes softened at his sister's plight. Using his hand, he gently tilted her chin upwards to make her face him.

"And you will. When those eggs hatch, I can tell you without a doubt that he will drop everything to be the best father he can to them. Things are difficult right now, I know, but they will get better."

Tress couldn't help but smile. Her brother evoked charisma when he spoke, and it drew others towards him. They just couldn't help but listen and believe in him.

"Really, Pterano, I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Well, you'd probably still be flying around in search of someone to look after your eggs, for one," the male said in slight jest, a chuckle escaping his beak, "but you shouldn't worry. I understand why you'd be upset, but I assure you while Kai may have his duties towards the guard, his first priority will always be you and those little ones."

Even when he made that joke, Tress couldn't stay angry. Moments like this were rare, with Pterano trapped under his father's thumb, so she cherished them when they did happen.

"Thank you, Pterano."

"My pleasure," he replied, flashing that notoriously charming smile of his. While he had tried not to show it, all the talk about Kai and the guard made his mind drift towards a certain somebody.

"So... um, have you spoken with Cyra recently? I've been wondering how she's been holding up."

"Well... you know Cyra," Tress sighed, "she holds everything in, but you can tell she's having a hard time. Almost as hard as Rohan, I'd say."

"Well, Kiara was her best friend. I don't really like to admit it, but she was closer to her than she ever was to me." He paused, "Perhaps... do you think I should go check up on her?"

"I think it's better to just leave her be for now," Tress replied simply, "but, you know someone who could use your help? Rohan."

"Rohan...?" Of course. This entire ordeal had been harder on Kiara's mate than anyone else.

"The poor thing hasn't even had the time to properly grieve, he's had his hands full with the hatchlings. I'm sure he could really use a shoulder to lean on."

"You're right. I think I'll go pay him a visit." He peered back at his sister, "will you be alright on your own?"

"I should be, but you have bigger things to worry about. Go, go!" She made a shooing motion with her hands.

Pterano took off, barely catching his sister's shrill voice screeching in the distance.

"Be careful!"

"I will! Don't worry!"

Pterano barely reached the entrance of Rohan's home and already he could hear the ear-piercing cries of newly born hatchlings. He cringed, knowing that those cries had probably led to more than a few sleepless nights for their poor father.

Rohan didn't even seem to hear Pterano fly in, only noticing the other's presence when he happened to cast a look in his direction.

"Pterano? What are you doing here?"

"To see you, my friend. It appears that you could use a helping hand. Or am I wrong?"

Pterano cupped one of the tiny hatchlings in his hands, gently nuzzling her before guiding her back to the nest where she could join the rest of the little ones. He absolutely adored children, and he hoped to have some of his own one day. Cyra felt the opposite, but that was another problem for another time.

"I couldn't ask you to do that," Rohan answered shyly, taking a moment to make sure all twelve hatchlings were safe in the nest, "it's not your duty to take care of them, after all. It's mine."

"Still, that doesn't mean you should have to face this alone," Pterano retorted, "taking care of hatchlings is a two-flyer job, after all."

Rohan remained silent. He was never the type accept help, much less ask for it.

"Now, listen," Pterano insisted, "if you won't allow me to help with the little ones, at least allow me to be your friend and take some of the burden off of your shoulders. Talk to me."

"I don't know," Rohan sighed, placing both hands on the back of his neck, "I just... I miss her, Pterano."

He whispered the words, but when he did, it was like the entire world went quiet. Even the hatchlings were now sleeping soundly in their nest. Pterano could hear the pain in his voice, which made his guilt eat away at him even more. Any time he was reminded of Kiara, Pterano found it impossible to shake the thought that she might still be alive, had he not been such a coward.

"I knew it was going to be difficult, raising hatchlings," Rohan continued, "but it helped that we were going to be struggling, together. But now? I'm alone, and it is so, so hard. I mean, it's a miracle if I'm able to get any sleep at all. I wish I had died instead of her. I mean, she'd probably be able to keep it together better than I am right now."

Pterano said nothing. He peered back at his friend with saddened eyes, too ashamed to say anything to comfort him. As long as Rohan was unaware of the truth, it would feel like a mockery of their friendship to comfort him about an outcome that Pterano could have prevented.

"I'm grateful that you're here," said Rohan, wiping away his tears, "I know I didn't want your help before, but I do appreciate it, really. It helps me feel less alone, so thank you."

Pterano could no longer bear the weight of his own guilt. He could barely live with himself now, but he'd never find any peace if he continued to live this lie But most importantly, he had to keep his promise to Kiara, and give Rohan the closure he deserved.

"Rohan... you shouldn't be thanking me."

"What? Don't be foolish. You came here even though you didn't have to, and you stayed even when I tried to push you away! You are a truly wonderful friend, Pterano."

"Please, don't say that. It simply isn't true."

"What do you mean?" Rohan lowered his head to the other's level, "Pterano, what are you talking about?"

Pterano was now a sobbing mess, much to Rohan's confusion. It took a moment for him to regain his composure and look his comrade in the eye.

"I saw Kiara die, right in front of me...! I-I could have saved her, but I was too much of a coward to do anything."

Rohan laughed, almost a bit awkwardly. "You're joking, right? You ate some bad green food again, didn't you?"

"I'm afraid not," Pterano croaked, using every ounce of strength he had to not break down as he explained everything, from start to finish. Rohan sat there in silence for what seemed like an eternity, feeling like he'd just been punched in the gut.

"Why...?" Rohan nearly whispered, "Why would your father do such a thing? Did Kiara really mean that little to him that he'd just leave her there to die?!"

His voice rose to a pained yell as he grabbed Pterano's arm. Dark green eyes shone with rage, only to be softened by the moisture of his tears.

"At least tell me you stayed with her until she died," Rohan heaved, "Tell me she didn't die alone. If you let her die alone, I'll never forgive you!"

"I stayed with her," Pterano assured him, "It was the least I could do, after all."

Rohan let out a sigh, presumably one of some sort of relief. He released his hold on Pterano, letting his hands fall into his lap.

"And one more thing," Pterano added, acknowledging the grimace on Rohan's face, "Kiara wanted me to tell you that she loves you, and that she's sorry. I promised her I would tell you, and I'm keeping that promise."

Rohan sobbed, but Pterano could also see something else- a smile. It was grateful, sad and relieved all at once.

"I'm so sorry, Rohan," Pterano emphasized, "Truly, I am. If you never wanted to see my face again... I'd understand."

"No. I understand."

Pterano's jaw fell slack, mouth hanging agape in shock. "W-Wha-"

"It was no mystery how much you loved Cyra. A love like that can make you do many questionable and even selfish things. You were willing to go to any lengths to keep her safe, and I don't fault you for that."

Pterano felt as small as a buzzer. He expected Rohan to sever all ties with him, not to show him empathy and understanding. He didn't deserve this.

"I will never forgive your father, you understand, but I can forgive you. If you'd intervened, there's a chance he might have killed you as well. Where would we be then?" For someone who was grieving, Rohan was amazingly rational.

"However..." he uttered, and Pterano braced himself, "I don't think our friendship will ever be quite the same again."

And there was the catch. Pterano had prepared himself for far worse, so this was a huge reprieve. Any other flyer would have kicked him out of their lives permanently, but not Rohan. He would probably make a great leader- a far better one than Pterano would ever be.

Pterano suddenly felt his heart race when he heard footsteps behind him. When he whirled around to face Cyra, his heart went cold. He didn't need to ask if she'd heard anything, her expression already said more than enough.

"Cyra, let me explain—"

A brief but intense wave of pain took hold of Pterano's shoulder. Behind him he heard Rohan's surprised gasp. He looked up and met Cyra, her talons mere inches away from him. It didn't take long to put the pieces together.

"Oh, I've heard everything," Cyra snarled, "I know that your horrible father killed Kiara, but that's not what hurts most. What hurts most is that you let it happen! You! And now my best friend is gone because she put her faith in a coward!"

Pterano didn't dare correct her. Not because he feared her wrath, but because he knew she was right.

"I came to see how Rohan was doing," she explained through ragged breaths, "At first I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I thought surely you had a reason! I was wrong. I was wrong about you."

She closed in on him, slowly. "You know, I always thought that we were too different for each other. We had different goals, different opinions. I didn't think it could work. I see now that I was right. Let alone mate with you, I don't want to see you ever again. So you have a nice life."

The barrage of anger ended there, but the damage had already been done. Life as Pterano had once known it was over. He had no doubt Cyra would spread word of his deeds, and he couldn't blame her.

Rohan extended a hand. "Pterano..."

"No," Pterano forbade, "leave it be, Rohan. I'm truly sorry you ever had the misfortune of knowing me."

He then fled the scene, disappearing into the clouds without a trace.

Pterano didn't quite remember where he'd spent the day, only that it wasn't anywhere near the other herd members. He only flew home once he noticed the light of day fading, giving way to the darkness of the night. When he finally reached the nest, his father was awake and clearly anticipating his arrival.

"Pterano, where have you been? Do you have any idea how late it is?"

Pterano didn't respond. Truth be told, getting home early had been the last thing on his mind. He scratched the back of his neck, eyes only briefly meeting the older flyer's.

"I'm sorry, father," the words escaped him like a breath of air. Azar could tell immediately something was off, and his disposition underwent a drastic change.

"Is something the matter, my boy?"

Pterano blinked. He hadn't heard those words leave his father's mouth in a long time. When his father opened his arms, Pterano walked right in. Despite what his father had done, the young flyer felt like he had no one else in the world.

Azar wrapped his arms around his son, gently stroking his head. Once upon a time, this was a normal routine for the two of them. Pterano would wake up in the middle of the night after a bad sleep story, and Azar would hold him until he drifted off again.

"Alright... why don't you tell me what's wrong? I know Kiara's death has been difficult on us all, but I've never seen you this way before."

Pterano stiffened when he mentioned Kiara. His father was trying to cover his tracks, but as usual, Pterano said nothing. His father's embrace felt so loving, like nothing in the world could ever touch him.

"It's just been difficult," Pterano finally answered, "I feel like no matter what I do it's always wrong, even when I am trying to do the right thing. I wish mother was still here."

"I know, son," Azar crooned, "I know. I do too. But you will learn soon enough that part of being a leader is doing what you think is right, and then facing the consequences."

As he listened, Pterano felt that his father genuinely did understand.

"But you listen here," Azar made his son look right at him, "even if the entire world is against you, Pterano, even if they don't understand... I always will. Your father always will."

He sounded on the verge of tears, Pterano himself having to hold back his own. He rested his head on the other's lap, feeling closer to his father than he had since many seasons. He decided in that moment, he would do his best to fulfill his father's expectations. There was nothing else in store for him now.

"Alright! Listen up, the lot of you! We're running low on green food, and I'm sorry to say that it's also becoming more scarce. No one knows how long this dry season will last, so we'll have to venture into dangerous territory in hopes of finding something to sustain ourselves."

Things had gone mostly back to normal, at least for Pterano and his father. Luckily, Cyra seemed to have taken mercy on him and kept her discoveries of his misdeeds to herself. But that didn't change the fact there was an invisible, gaping chasm in between them. While standing in line waiting for further orders, Cyra didn't even look at him. In fact, she seemed completely indifferent.

"Pterano!"

"Er, here!" He yelped in response, not wasting a second in correcting his posture.

"You'll be heading this mission," his father informed, "think of this as a kind of test. If you do well, I might consider sending you in my place more often."

"I'll try to withhold my enthusiasm." Carrying out his father's work was the last thing Pterano wanted, but he wasn't exactly in any position to be picky.

Azar gave the rest of the group their assignments. Since they were all familiar with each other, he figured it would be easier for them to work together. No team building exercises needed! Only Tress and Rohan were absent, as the both of them had parental duties to see to.

"Alright, if there are no questions... well, you know the drill. Stay close, watch each other's backs, listen to your leader! And stay safe! Good luck to you, kids."

And off they went.

"Kai? May I speak with you a moment?"

"Hmm?" Kai glanced towards his friend, "What is it, Pterano?"

"This might be a strange request, but could you take the lead? Instead of me? My father is forcing this upon me and I... I just don't feel quite up to scratch yet."

"Are you sure? I mean, this is your big opportunity to prove yourself to your father! I'd be excited."

"Which is exactly why I want you to do it," Pterano affirmed, "don't worry. I promise you it's fine."

While it was true his father was trying to force this, Pterano also felt unconfident in his leadership abilities. He couldn't be trusted. Besides, Kai was on the guard. This would be a good exercise for him.

"Wow, well, I appreciate that." Kai gratefully touched Pterano's forewing with his.

"You know, it's kind of scary, taking the lead. I mean, I was always such an anxious mess when I was a youngling. I was scared stiff of flying and now? I'm going to be a father and a member of the guard. I just hope I can be the kind of father my kids can be proud of."

Pterano cast a soft, understanding smile towards him. "I'm sure you will. Those kids will have a blast, having you as a father. I guarantee it."

He caught Cyra glaring at him from the corner of her eye, as if to warn him. She still didn't trust him, which only confirmed that he made the right decision appointing Kai as the head of the mission.

"Stay alert, everyone!" Kai screeched in warning. The foliage was starting to become more dense, meaning there would most certainly be sharptooth flyers lurking in the shadows.

"I also have a name picked out for one of them," Kai mentioned in passing to Pterano, "...Petrie."

A gentle gasp left Pterano's beak. "After my grandfather...?"

Kai gave an excited nod. "I knew you would like it. And hey, when you have kids, you can name one of them after my grandfather. No pressure."

"Hey, leader!" Cyra interrupted, "How about less talking and more paying attention? I've been listening to you yap on for the past minute!"

Kai groaned. "Alright, alright! Geez. You're no fun anymore."

The group advanced deeper, careful to mind their surroundings. In a narrow grove where everything looked the same, it was easy to get lost, and to walk right into a trap.

"Stay close," Kai warned, "We just have to make it through here. Keep your eyes peeled for any sharpteeth."

"Oh, come on," Sierra snickered, "we could outsmart those sharpteeth, no problem. I mean, everyone knows how stupid they are."

"We should still be careful," Zephyr reasoned, "there's nothing to gain by being an idiot."

Pterano's anxious eyes surveyed the area. "Something isn't right... we should have run into some sharpteeth a while ago."

"We're almost there," Kai urged, "just a little more—"

SLASH!

A scream of pain erupted from Kai's throat, his seemingly invisible assailant zipping right past him. The gaping wound on his neck overflowed with blood, desperate screeches filling the air as he plummeted through the branches and onto the cold, hard ground.

"KAI!" Cyra prepared to go back for her brother, only to be stopped by Pterano.

"No! We have to keep moving forward!" He looked over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of a bloody speck on the ground whom he knew was Kai. But had he not looked, he wouldn't have seen the flyer above him, and wouldn't have been able to alert the others.

"Whoah!" Sierra barely missed the sharptooth's attack by a nose.

Rinkus had them engaged in a chase, flying at speeds he didn't even know he could achieve. "Buzz off, you pests!"

Pterano's eyes circled the grove, looking for any safe haven away from the oncoming feeding frenzy. Sharpteeth surrounded them in every direction. Then, he spotted a singular tree, the light from the bright circle pouring in right above. "This way!"

He hadn't turned his back before even a second before a screech grabbed his attention.

"Pterano! Look out!"

All of Cyra's rage escaped her as she slashed her talons against the predator's neck. But even that wasn't enough. It might have even made things worse. Pterano met her gaze, no longer hateful and unforgiving. He would never forget the smile she gave him before leading the sharptooth flyer away, disappearing into the darkness.

"We need a plan," Zephyr pointed out, "these sharpteeth are smart, and they clearly knew we were coming. Brute strength won't help us this time."

"You're right about that, Zephyr," Pterano chimed in, "but what are you thinking?"

"We don't need a plan," added Lila, "what we need is a distraction. Zephyr and I will buy you, Rinkus and Sierra some time to get out of here. We're fast, we can hold their attention until you get the chance to escape."

"No!" Pterano shook his head, "They'll kill you! That is out of the question!"

Zephyr didn't falter for a moment. "Well, I'd rather die saving my loved ones instead of sitting by and doing nothing. Wouldn't you?"

Pterano said nothing. He felt ashamed- Lila and Zephyr were so much braver than him.

"You'll be our lookout, Pterano. As soon as you see an opening, call Rinkus and Sierra."

"We're trusting you, fearless leader." Lila grinned and flashed a wink.

Pterano hardly felt worthy of the title, but their minds were made up. There was no turning back now. He watched them depart, his heart growing heavier the farther away they grew.

It all happened so fast. Pterano, waiting for an opening, could hardly keep up with it all. Numerous screeches filled the air, accompanied by Lila and Zephyr begging Rinkus and Sierra to leave. The sharptooth flyers' attention was now fully concentrated on the two females, and they forgot all about Sierra and Rinkus.

"Rinkus! Sierra!" Pterano signaled, "It's now or never!"

Ultimately, the two males were left with no choice. They followed Pterano's lead and fled the grove, narrowly escaping death. They left the dreadful scene behind, ensuring that their friends' sacrifices would not be in vain.

"We gotta go get help! Zephyr and Lila might still have a chance!"

"There's no use, Sierra," Pterano said firmly.

"But there's a chance they—"

"I said no, Sierra! Think about this! We barely got out of there with our lives. We were a team of seven flyers when we left, and now look at how many of us there are. To go gallivanting back on a baseless hunch would be unwise."

"Unwise?!" Sierra growled, "Ya know what's unwise? That you let Zephyr die in your place! A real leader defends his own, puttin' himself last. But that didn't matter to ya, did it? All you care about is making sure you get out alive, no matter who has to die to make that happen."

Pterano didn't correct Sierra, or try to tell him that Lila and Zephyr volunteered to give themselves up. It wouldn't change a thing.

"That's enough, both of you!" Rinkus inserted himself between them, physically preventing Sierra from killing Pterano right then and there. "This was our first mission without any other adults, and yes, it was a disaster. But placing the blame solves nothing! I think right now, we should focus on getting home in one piece, yes?"

Sierra begrudgingly agreed, but not before muttering every insult under the bright circle.

"By the way, Sierra," Pterano began, "you're not the only one who lost someone today. Remember that."

"They've returned! Come quickly!"

Pterano winced. While explaining to his father what had happened was the least of his concerns, it still weighed heavily on his mind. Therefore, it went without saying that he was not looking forward to it.

"Pterano," his father spoke sternly, "where is the rest of your group?" However, just by looking at their scarred bodies, Azar already knew the answer.

Before Pterano could respond, his sister anxiously made her way through the crowd. He braced himself for the dreaded yet inevitable question.

"Where's Kai...?"

One glance towards his sister was all it took for Pterano to feel sick to his stomach. He felt like he was caught in the sinking sand with no way out.

"G-Gone. Anyone who didn't return with us is gone... even Cyra." It physically pained him to utter her name.

Tress shook her head, refusing to believe his words. "No. you're wrong. Kai would never give up on our family! He'd never give up on me... it can't be true."

Azar watched his daughter slide to her knees, breaking down into sobs as she realized the horrifying truth. He whipped his head back towards Pterano, dark eyes practically staring him down.

"Pterano... I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am in you. Were you not the leader? Do you not understand what that responsibility entails?"

Each word physically pained Pterano. "...I do understand, father—"

THWACK!

"Don't interrupt me while I'm speaking! Do you understand?"

Well, Pterano couldn't say he was surprised by his father's arm making contact with his face. It seemed to stun everyone but him. His cheek stung, but even that pain was nothing compared to how much his heart ached. Whatever his father said to him that vulnerable night when Pterano laid his feelings bare, none of that really meant anything. He was truly all alone.

Pterano removed his hand from his cheek, revealing a red bruise where his father had struck him. He clenched his jaw, hot tears blurring his vision.

A few gasps escaped from numerous flyers in the crowd, including Pterano's sister, who had never seen their father strike her brother before.

"I think... I've been under your influence far too long, father. So many seasons of this madness... being your pawn in your sick little game."

Azar gasped, taken aback by the sheer hatred in his son's voice.

"Then again, I was just a youngling! What did I know about anything?" Pterano choked out through sobs, "But it's too late now. I'll be damned if I even know what's right anymore. Who cares?"

Even Sierra seemed surprised to see him in such a state, let alone the rest of the herd. Pterano was actually grateful Cyra wasn't alive to see him this way, as horrible as that was.

"It is what it is. The only path left for me is whichever one leads to this herd finally being free of you!"

"Pterano!" Azar snarled, "That's enough!"

The younger male whirled around to face him. "Oh, don't talk rot! I was only just getting started!"

He then turned back to face the rest of the herd, wings spread wide as if he were regaling a tale. "You didn't know this, father, but I was there that night. The night that you killed Kiara."

A cacophony of gasps and exclamations of surprise traveled through the herd. A strangled gasp escaped Azar's throat, eyes wide and beak agape.

"You thought Cyra was a distraction and wanted to send her away. I couldn't let that happen. I tried to talk to you, but you don't even respect your son enough to treat him as an equal. I had no choice but to ask Kiara for help! But of course, you got rid of her too. You left her to die alone, away from her family."

"Dad...?" Tress gasped through her sobs, "Tell me this isn't true-! Tell me you didn't do this."

His silence was answer enough. Tress buried her beak in her hands, silently begging for her mate, hoping that he would fly in right then and embrace her.

Pterano had never seen genuine remorse on his father's face until that moment. A small part of him would have felt as if he were betraying his father, but that part of him died with Cyra.

"You all should leave here this instant," Pterano spoke to the herd, "neither you nor your families are safe around my father. Or around me, for that matter. Anywhere else in the Mysterious Beyond would be worlds safer than this forsaken place."

The entire herd's gaze landed on Azar, who struggled to maintain his composure as they swarmed him with their questions and insults. Tress watched her father be called a traitor and a monster, feeling nothing. No sympathy, and no hate. Just a never ending numbness. But in spite of her pain, she said something that took Pterano by surprise.

"I understand why you didn't tell anyone or do anything," her voice was heavy from all of her sobbing, "if you had, well, the herd would be falling apart like it is now."

Gone was Pterano's previous rage, replaced by a look of sadness. "Tress..."

"Leave it," Tress held up her hand, "if you want to help at all, then come with me once the eggs hatch. I don't want to stay in this cursed place a moment longer, but I can't survive out there on my own."

"Of course." Pterano nodded affirmatively, hoping that perhaps one day, he could be deserving of his sister's love once more. He watched the amount of families fleeing the herd grow as they all took to the skies, including Rinkus and Sierra, and poor Rohan as well.

Pterano knew then that this was no longer the formidable, nearly untouchable herd that he grew up in. It was no longer a place he could call home, but rather the broken remnants of what once was.

"My sister and I left once her hatchlings were old enough to travel. I tried time and time again to redeem myself, to make it so that she would be proud to call me her brother. But I always seemed to make things worse somehow. I led several dinosaurs to their deaths, and I even abducted one of my nephew's friends because I thought a flying rock could give me the power to change things!" He laughed at the absurdity of his own actions.

"I think I was so desperate to set things right, to not be like my father that... I actually became him. I started to actually believe my own lies."

It was a rare occasion that Sofos found himself blinded by tears over a story, of all things. He had jumped through every hurdle the circle of life had thrown at him, and seen countless things that no other would believe. But even then, his heart absolutely ached for Pterano and all he had endured.

Pterano laughed wryly. "So, do you still believe there's no such thing as curses?"

"Sure do," Sofos replied simply, "you ain't cursed, my friend. You made a lot of bad decisions, sure, but that doesn't mean you're completely irredeemable. And besides, blaming your deeds on bad luck kind of takes the responsibility off of your shoulders, doesn't it?"

"But why else would all those horrible things have happened? It was just one thing after another! I'm telling you, there were outside forces at work."

Sofos shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know for sure."

"Whatever you say," Pterano admitted defeatedly, "anyways, that is why I'm so down. I was banished from the Great Valley for five cold times, and my sentence has ended. My sister and her children live there, but... I don't think she'd want to see me. My face would probably remind her too much of our father."

"Well, I don't know that," Sofos shrugged again, aware that it was getting on the other's nerves, "you won't know anything unless you go. She might yell at you to get out, or... she might welcome you with open arms. Again, won't know 'til ya try."

Sofos did have a point. If he stayed here, fearing rejection, he might never get the closure he so desperately wanted. "You know, that's pretty good advice, old friend."

Sofos hummed proudly. "Course it is, you dolt! That's what I've been saying this entire time! And for what it's worth, old friend, I think you are better than your father. Sure, you've made a lot of mistakes, big ones. But you know, I prefer not to dwell on the past. What matters is who you are right now, and right now, I reckon you're a flyer who is trying to make amends the best way he knows how. That's better than someone who does nothing, isn't it?"

Pterano involuntarily thought back to all the times he'd been called a coward, all the times he beat himself up for his own inaction. As unpleasant as they were, he let the memories run their course, instead of pushing them to the back of his mind as he usually did.

"I suppose it is," he agreed, rising to his feet, watching the bright circle break through the clouds. He stood tall, holding his head up high before turning to face Sofos. He smiled, confident and sure of himself, which in turn made the elder grin.

Pterano exhaled, eyes shining with a determination that he thought he'd lost long ago. "Well, old timer... I'm going home."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:31:36 PM by jassy »
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Welp. This is the first new LBT fanfic I've read in, like, ten years.  :lol

I gotta say, it was an excellent read! I find the Pterano in your story to be relatable, especially as I, myself, had a complicated upbringing. If my birth mother or another relative that I love had done something like Azar did, I'd be distraught and wouldn't know what to do, either. The story really hit home for me and forced me to do some inner work on my part.

Great work! Better late than never!  :DD
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My apologies for only getting to this story at this late hour. But, as they say, better late than never!  :bestsharptooth

This story does shed quite a bit of light on Pterano’s upbringing and, in particular, the difficult aspects of his family life which led to him becoming the flyer that we saw in the seventh film. The actions of Pterano’s father in this story really does put Pterano in a difficult place and though he took the actions that he felt were most reasonable at the time, he can only look back of them with shame and regret years later. The episodic pacing (going from the flashback story and then back to the present) certainly works in this context.

The only recommendation that I could make is to perhaps add a bit more to the descriptions of settings and flyers as they are introduced, as this can help the reader get into the flow of the story. Overall, however, I quite enjoyed this look into Pterano’s past. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.