The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Snowboard Kids (all)

Lain_EX · 30 · 3578

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've been recently into Snowboard Kids game for the N64. Does anybody here like this game as me? I want to play that game that badly!

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Does anybody here like this game as me? I want to play that game that badly!
OMG!! :D  :D  :wow  :wow
I can't believe somebody started this topic!  I was hopelessly addicted to this series back in the day, and I'm still in love with it to an extent! :D

I have SBK 1 and 2 on the N64.  I also recorded the soundtracks of both games to my computer. :P:
I started to make a MIDI "megamix" of SBK 1 and 2 music. I got about 15 minutes in before I abandoned the project.  I'll upload it if anyone is interested. B)

This is when I wish the N64 had online modes.  LET'S GO! :D
Lain, you're my hero! :p :lol
What is about these games, they're just hopelessly amusing and awesome! :D

Little story here:
Snowboard Kids (1) is the game I have rented more times than any other game, and by a LONG shot.  It proved to be an impossible game to find in a store (before I shopped online at all).  I literally rented the game 13 times, having a blast each time!  Eventually the store I rented it from had it in their clearout "used-games-for sale" section...where I grabbed it the instant I saw it! :p  That's why my SBK game has writing all over it; it used to be for rental before I bought it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My Snowboard Kids 1/2 Medley/remix in MIDI format:
http://www.driveway.com/piqxe28558

Please don't judge my abilities too hard based on this file; I wrote this over 5 years ago (I *stopped* working on it when I was 15) :p
P.S. Yes, I know there is a panning controller error in around the 2:45 to 3:36 mark.  I was an absolute moron when I programmed that; I should go back and clean it up but I have basically given up on this project.  Also at some points there is so much crap going on at once (due to my "layering a million instruments together style" at the time) that no GM MIDI synth can keep up with it.  Notes will cut off in this file: fact of life.
(Note: the e-mail address in the channel data on the MIDI file no longer exists.  if you e-mail it, it won't go through.)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not much of a sports game fan, so this probably wouldn't appeal to my liking. :( But, I did say something like that about Super Metroid before a school friend lent it to me for awhile. I changed my mind rather quickly on that one. But I digress. Sports games just aren't my thing.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is more like Mario Kart than a sports game, but if you don't like mario kart you probably won't like this one either.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have all of the Mario Kart games to date, so yeah, I like that series. Does that mean I might like this one?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Does that mean I might like this one?
Quite possibly. :yes

4 player racing game.  Use items to attack/defend while racing down slopes of all different terrain (snow, grass, sand, wood, space, you name it) (fighting over the chair lift to get back up to the top for the next lap :lol ).  It's actually very amusing. :P:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hahaha. Sounds a bit like Mario Kart to me. :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's basically mario kart on snowboards with some changes. ;)
In SBK 2, there is actually a story mode. SBK1 is basically "play through and unlock tracks and secret boards."  SBK 2 actually has a story of some sort while you unlock everything :p.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Sep 20 2007 on  02:07 PM
Does anybody here like this game as me? I want to play that game that badly!
OMG!! :D  :D  :wow  :wow
I can't believe somebody started this topic!  I was hopelessly addicted to this series back in the day, and I'm still in love with it to an extent! :D

I have SBK 1 and 2 on the N64.  I also recorded the soundtracks of both games to my computer. :P:
I started to make a MIDI "megamix" of SBK 1 and 2 music. I got about 15 minutes in before I abandoned the project.  I'll upload it if anyone is interested. B)

This is when I wish the N64 had online modes.  LET'S GO! :D
Lain, you're my hero! :p :lol
What is about these games, they're just hopelessly amusing and awesome! :D
I can't believe you actually LOVE SBK! I wanted to play this game (or start playing the 2nd one) since I took out my N64 after 2 years, but I can't find someplace wherever it's sold here in Tijuana. And I don't know of anyone who owns one of these games so I can as him/her to borrow it. Since then, I've been looking for videos of its gameplay on YouTube, without success. :(

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 20 2007 on  10:43 PM
Never heard of it. Never seen it.
Neither have I, but it still sounds interesting, nonetheless.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I myself have a hard time believeing someone made this topic.  I rented this a number of times, but never actually bought it as my family didn't have much money for extra things like this. (A limit of $250 for the whole family for Christmas presents is a fine example.) We really had to choose the games we got wisely, or save up our mediocre allowance and birthday money to get the games we wanted. (Sometimes, it took more than a year to pull that off.) Now with the added benifit of a job, I can get the games I want, when I want. :)

Now, as for this game, it was quite a fun game.  It took me alot of practice, but I was able to beat the entire SBK1 within the length of 5 days, which was the limit for renting a game. (You had until the store closed on the last day.)

Though I wasn't as big of a fanantic as Action9000, I did like it alot and had alot of fun with it.  Now if only they had online play back then... -_-

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Though I wasn't as big of a fanantic as Action9000, I did like it alot and had alot of fun with it.
LOL.
SBK is what I did before I was into LBT very much.  LBT basically took the place of SBK in my mind, which pushed SBK back quite a bit.  I am still an SBK fan though; I wouldn't part with my games, that's for sure! B)

And I don't know of anyone who owns one of these games so I can as him/her to borrow it.
I wouldn't be willing to part with my game any time soon, but I have seen it pop up on E-bay.  Not sure if they ship to your area though.  

Since then, I've been looking for videos of its gameplay on YouTube, without success.

I could make a little video of me playing the game.  I don't have my saved game anymore ( :( ) but I could make a video of one of the 6 courses that start unlocked.  I like Big Snowman...such a fun course! :D

You know what?  Maybe I will....I'm bored :p

[EDIT] Here we are!
I made a little (well...75 MB) video of a 2-lap race on Big Snowman, the longest track in the game.  It takes me just short of 3 minutes for a lap.  
Taking bets on who won: There are 3 computers and I in the race.  You'll be guessing until the last second!  The AI in this game is actually very strong; very competitive (as you'll see)!

My apologies for my quirky voice a couple of times during the game; it's late and I was tired so I sound weird :p  I don't usually sound like that :p LOL

I also apologize for the size of the video...I didn't realize the filesize was so huge until I was halfway through uploading it...I was wondering what was taking so long. :lol:

Also, my apologies for the black lines running across some parts of the screen sometimes; that's just my camera's framerate not being in sync with my TV's refresh rate.

This is a fairly easy and straight-forward track.  The later tracks get pretty nasty (problems like falling off, multiple routes to take, more stuff in the way, sharp turns, narrow roads, falling rocks (yep!), having to climb hills, etc. etc)

Anyway, I find the game amusing, and the music suits it very nicely, despite seeming pretty corny.  I find it just works. B)
Speaking of music, I have recorded the entire soundtrack to both games if anyone wants MP3s. :P:

(Musical Trivia for this series:
The music on the Turtle Island stage in SBK 2 uses a musical "chorus" which appears in the Dizzy-Land track in SBK 1.)

Anybody who wants to see this game in action: Enjoy!
http://www.driveway.com/qkkdw79772

I'm curious, has anyone here played the SBK game released on the Nintendo DS a year or two ago?  I considered getting a DS just for this game but I couldn't justify it.  I'm poor :p  If anyone's played it; please, how is it?  What did they do to the music style?  Gameplay?  Anything totally different?  :D

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, happies! You won! LOL Poor Tommy when passing thru the final lap. XD I really hate when someone shoots a parachute at me! Anyway, good job there Action9000! Mind you if you do another one? That's, of course, if you want. Please.

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
I've seen this game before. Unfortunately I've never played it, but it sounds interesting and fun.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
*action9000 gets parachuted halfway through the 2nd lap* Ah, crap. :lol It looks like you made a good recovery, what with the "propeller boards". It looked like you also used some parachutes yourself. :lol That was a very close race at the end, you trading 1st place frequently with the other computer at the end. We actually have a term at our place for something like that that happens on Mario Kart -- "exclaming". You've been "exclaimed" when you cross the line, but your rank drops one lower after the race is finsished because someone else made it to the end a hair sooner (I've actually seen games decided on a tenth of a second), or if someone briefly passes you a split second before the end and your rank drops a split second before the race ends. I don't think you exclaimed the computer there, but it was something close to it. :lol

Also, hahaha at the scrabling for the chair lifts and the skid-across-the-finish-line victory. :lol Laughs and kudos all around! :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*action9000 gets parachuted halfway through the 2nd lap* Ah, crap. It looks like you made a good recovery, what with the "propeller boards". It looked like you also used some parachutes yourself. That was a very close race at the end, you trading 1st place frequently with the other computer at the end. We actually have a term at our place for something like that that happens on Mario Kart -- "exclaming". You've been "exclaimed" when you cross the line, but your rank drops one lower after the race is finsished because someone else made it to the end a hair sooner (I've actually seen games decided on a tenth of a second), or if someone briefly passes you a split second before the end and your rank drops a split second before the race ends. I don't think you exclaimed the computer there, but it was something close to it.
And that's why this game is awesome! :lol:  :lol

Mind you if you do another one? That's, of course, if you want. Please.
Sure, I'll do another one!  I'll get it up on saturday at some point. B)
(Looks like I better free up space for a save game on my memory card!)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I made an error in my post. I meant to say a hundredth of a second. :lol