The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Favorite video game and why

F-14 Ace · 147 · 17371

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes!  I got two more PS2 games (Need for Speed:  Underground 2 and Burnout 3: Takedown) and a Game Boy Advance with Dynasty Warriors 5 during the season!  It gets creepy when you'd have to wait a half hour to an hour after playing racing games. :P:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Bit of a racer are ya Kenji?! LOL N4S: Underground's great for that "pimp my ride" sort element but Burnout's wicked for sheer adrenaline-rushed mayhem on the streets! LOL :lol Have you played Burnout Revenge? (Burnout 4). It's great coz you can pretty much denotate your car at any given moment to catch those rivals who are always just that little bit out of reach! My favourite racing game at the moment!

I'm still waiting for Kingdom Hearts 2 to hit the streets but looks like I'm looking at a wait that could last right up until May/June! :( Should be a title worth waiting for though if it's gone platinum in Japan in less than a fortnight! ;)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sky Odyssey is kinda scary at times.  For example, there is one level where you are forced to fly at low altitude over volcanic terrain to avoud a storm and have to avoid volcanic columns of lava.  It is so realistic that it is truely scaary.  A lot of very odd situations in that game.  Like flying through canyons duting electrical storms and stuff like that.  Very challenging.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I too have enjoyed several games on the Gamecube.

LoZ: WW (Despite the non pleasing graphics, it was a good game to play all the way through.  Quite some tough bosses.)

SSB:M (Love it so much, I even made 3 fics for it.  Only one I have completed.  Which was in script format.  Which I am rewriting now.) ^.^

Pikmin (Don't know what it is exactly that I like about it.  Maybe it's the fact these little guys can beat up enemies a million times their size.  I'm currently trying to beat the bare min. speed challenge. (Grow ONLY 50 Pikmin.  Don't lose a single one.  Do it in 9 days. (2 hours and 15 min.)) It has indeed proven to be THE hardest able to beat challenge ever made.  Out of all to try it, only one has beat it.)

Out of N64 games...

LoZ: OoT (Graphics, storyline and gameplay are all a masterpiece.  There are also some bosses I just LOVE to kill.  Currently trying the bare item 3 heart challenge. (This actually means NO Lens of Truth.  That ends up making Shadow Temple quite a challenge.) Have yet to beat it though.)

Banjo-Kazooie (This is quite a fun game.  The idea of a bear and bird taking on a witch is just so enjoyable.  Currently trying the speed challenge. (4 hours is quite a feat.  Espically with a game that automatically saves when you turn it off.) Have yet to beat that.)

Out of GBA:

Pokemon (MY FAV!  It's not the cute little animals or the storyline.  It's the battles.  That's the main thing that has made it so famous.  Thanks to the specially made on-line battle simulator, this has been proven to be a straegy game that rivals that of chess.  Sometimes, the strategies made can be so tough, that they prove to be hard to beat for even masters in the end.  It's a game that will probably last until the earth's end.)

Okay, that's all I can think of.

As you can see, I have a nice list of games to entertain me when I'm bored. :)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just got done playing Ace Combat 4, another one of my favorite games.  I love it! :yes

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Play anything else besides Flight/Combat sims F-14?

A friend of mine used to have a WW2 flight/combat sim...name escapes me. Looked alright but Flight sims aren't my thing really!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I do also play a lot of Star Wars games like Battlefront and Battlefront II.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My favorite games tend to be anything that has a strong multiplayer option.

I rarely tend to play games by myself.  When I'm alone, I'm often working on some sort of project, or playing an Online game, such as Unreal Tournament.

I like playing games for the social aspect, and for the feeling you get from trying to hunt down, or outplay your buddy, or even some random person over the Internet.  I just can't get that same feeling playing against the computer, or a "story mode" kind of game.  I prefer the interaction.

Now that I've established that, my favorite games for:

PC:
-the Unreal Tournament series (preferrably without mods...I don't like mods :pP)
-Stepmania (Stepmania.com)
-Diablo II
-Serious Sam series
-Quake 3 (I want to get Quake 4, but I need a new processor first  :angry: )-Gunbound, to an extent

Gamecube:
-Mario Party 5
-Mario Party 7
-Super Smash Bros: Melee
-Super Mario Strikers

X-Box:
-NHL 2006
-Crimson Skies
-More that I can't think of right now  :p

PS2:
-The Dance Dance Revolution series  :lol
-Twisted Metal: Black
-More that I can't think of right now  :p

I was never really into playing games for the story.  To me, games were a source of interaction and fun with my friends.  I find the big single-player games take too much dedication, and I just can't hold my interest in them that long, on my own.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I never tried playing online before.  I haven't even been able to get my Multi-Player adapter (made for 4 players) to work when I got Turbo Prop Racing for PS1. <_<

Oh and Littlefoot:  I haven't gotten Burnout 4 yet, but it's next on my list!  Right behind Soul Calibur 3.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ahh yes, Burnout 4:
One of the few games I actually Really enjoy as a single-player.  Great time if you like high-speed games where you can take your frustrations out on the traffic  :lol

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Never cared much for online games.  Star Wars Battlefront has perfect online play but Battlefront II is clunky.  I only played online at my friend's house.  I don't have anadapter for my PS2.  Anyway, I don't want to have to pay for the online fee which is 50 bucks.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I only play free online games (such as Unreal Tournament), and I don't subscribe to any console online services.

When I mentioned console games, I mainly referred to having a few friends get together and play them, as opposed to playin online.
In the PC games, I tend to play them mostly over LAN with my friend and I.  I don't go online often, but it's something to do when I need a break from random projects  :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Me personally, when it comes to video games, I much prefer to sit at a screen with a console than look to a PC. That's just my personal preference. About the only game I've played online was a Half-life 2 deathmatch but because I loved the single player...my friend recommended we try out a deathmatch online. I had great fun but being a newbie...I got slaughtered!  :( Before I even knew I'd respawned, I was dead again! PMSL!  :o The experience was awesome though. We're planning to do it again...this time, I'll be ready! :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I prefer the console games generally, as well.  The only reason I tend to play PC games is for when my friends and I get together to LAN a PC game.  As a matter of fact, I purchased Unreal Tournament 2004, just a couple of days ago, for that reason alone  :DD .
Aside from that, console games are still the quick, easy fix for most of my gaming needs  :lol

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have quite a few favorites  :P:

PS2:

Silent Hill 1 and 2
Haunting Grounds
Obscure
Burnout Revenge
.hack Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine(Working on)

PC:

F.E.A.R.
Silent Hill 3 and 4
Silkroad(do mmorgs count?  :P: )

SNES

Earthbound

Probably more I forgot. Oh well...

Well ok maybe I picked a little too many but it's just so hard to pick a favorite. I love them all!  :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nice choice of games LF fan! Earthbound is the RPG that has Ness in it right? I heard about it but it was never released in Europe. In fact, I only heard about Ness at first through Smash Bros on the N64. Well, during the console wars of the 90s, I was a Sega Megadrive player (Genesis outside Europe) rather than a SNES player. I still have my old consoles and I still play them now! I'll all about old skool when it comes to games...some modern games just can't cut it for me. One game I've even appealed to Sega via email to remake is Streets of Rage. My personal, all-time favourite beat 'em up game of the 90s and I've yet to see a modern recreation of it since. I think the closet I've heard about is the upcoming Final Fight: Streetwise which (back in the day) worked along the same sorta lines. It was Capcom's answer to SOR, good but not as successful. Think some remakes could work out to be big sellers

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Feb 2 2006 on  04:40 PM
SNES

Earthbound

Bah! How could I forget about Earthbound  :slap
Only my favorite RPG ever!  
(To Littlefoot1616: yeah, that's the one with Ness  :wow)

I Rarely play RPGs, but I actually played through this one about 4 times.  Awesome game!

You also reminded me of Super Mario RPG for the SNES.  I loved this game as well, though it was too short.  Can get through it in basically a day's worth of playing.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh, yea I love Earthbound :lol: god those PSI attacks Ness has are so cool o.o', especially the last one. Whirr whoosh, Ba Ba Ba babababababa BOOM!!!  :lol

Had great music too  :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Feb 2 2006 on  07:00 PM
Heh, yea I love Earthbound :lol: god those PSI attacks Ness has are so cool o.o', especially the last one. Whirr whoosh, Ba Ba Ba babababababa BOOM!!!  :lol

Had great music too  :P:
haha, The music in that game was the most Unique soundtrack I think I have ever seen - it was awesome :D

The music was beautiful in points where it needed to be, it suited the off-the-wall feeling of the game, and it waas a style that hardly exists in any other game.  Even the tripadelic backgrounds to the battles, and the enemies themselves, were awesome!

I actually made a MIDI file of the Kraken battle.
you can find it on
http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/ninte...s/index-af.html
Just scroll down to Earthbound, and you'll see a number of midi files (very kewl stuff if you ask me  :DD )  The Kraken Battle by "Tim Murray" is mine  :p

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yea and I really loved the way you could never really kill the end boss without help from praying. God it was all so perfect  :DD

[edit]I'll check that kraken song out right now :P:[/edit]