The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Old Technology Dies A Slow Death

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have a system enabled on my website that allows me to view stats of people that view my website.  Just today I had 2 people connect that were using Internet Explorer 5.5 and Windows 2000 with dialup and an 800x600 resolution!  Do you have any idea how HORRIBLE my website must have looked to them?  First off, any version of IE below IE7 doesn't render the transparent PNG images I have on my website.  They look like jpegs with white crap all around them.  Secondly, on an 800x600 resolution everything on my site would be so big you couldn't even use it.  Of course accessing the site on dialup....geeze!  There's just no way to make it 100% compatible.  

Despite this fact, 1 of them stayed for 12 minutes and 30 seconds and the other stayed for 15 minutes and 44 seconds.  I guess they're used to things looking like crap on the net.  With systems like that, I'm not surprised.  Both users resided in Sweden.  Poor people.  I can't believe someone's actually living with a system like that. :( There's no way I can make it compatible for everybody.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
You know LBTlover, not everyone is all "computer geekish" like you. To you, computers are your life. Not everyone feels as though they are missing out on technology. They just use whatever they are comfortable with. I COULD use something else, maybe get a new ipod and update to newer stuff, but I choose not too, simply because it's not too old and I just am comfortable with I have.

My two cents.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey there's nothing wrong with older technology and it if were just a matter of not wanting to change from something familiar that'd be one thing.  But using a 15 year old system like that in today's world is like trying to use a horse and carriage on the freeway.  It just doesn't work.  I'm guessing they either don't have the money to buy a new system or they spent a ton of money on the computer a long time ago and don't feel like they've gotten their money's worth out of it yet.  Or maybe it was a gift.  Maybe it was just someone screwing around with the system they had stuck in their basement for the past 10 years.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised to find Windows 98 users in the US still on the internet.  Its not as uncommon as it sounds.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there was still using Windows 3.1.

Some people can't let go of old things.  My dad holding on to his Atari 2600 says plenty. (Yes, that thing STILL works.)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well at least the Atari is still usable. :p Old computers are just trash.  You can't even use them in the modern world.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I can understand the love of old things (I still have an N64 lying around)  but I'm with LBTlover on this.  Computers that old are just useless.  My phone could run circles around that system.