The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cliches that you are tired of..

brekclub85 · 128 · 10855

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 12 2011 on  05:15 PM
I know animeboye is going to chew me out for asking this, but could you provide an example that lacked on 'fun' part of the mindless fun. I'm genuinely curious.
Why would I chew you out for that? If you like mindless action movies, that's fine. I have a fair share of dumb movies that I like myself.

The reason I chewed you out is because you attacked someone else's opinion. Look, I don't care if you don't like Avatar. I have some issues with the movie myself. But telling someone that likes Avatar that it "isn't worthy of mention" is just not cool. That goes for any movie. I don't particularly care for Lord of the Rings. To be honest, and this might make you angry, I found the first movie really boring. But that's just my opinion. A lot of people like Lord of the Rings and I respect that. I don't hate the movies. I just don't care about them. I don't like or dislike them.

I understand you're opinionated. I am too but I still try to respect others' likes/dislikes. And if you want to explain, in a calm and mature way, why you don't like Avatar, James Cameron, or anything else, then hey, we'll listen. Just don't attack others for liking something you don't.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Alright, gotcha. But: Wait, wait. You thought I was attacking the person who liked Avatar? No! I was attacking the movie, itself. My comments were not directed not at any person.

EDIT: Let's continue this by Private Message.

Alright, another cliche I'm tired of. Making cops unreasonable jerks who only get in the way of the "real" heroes. I don't really know where this even came from, considering it's their job to protect us, but it seriously needs to stop being in every action, horror, and science fiction movie that features local law enforcement.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Mar 21 2010 on  02:06 AM

Another cliche I grew tired of. Demonization of the military. Seriously, Hollywood? Step off. These are the people who are standing between us and being take over by someone else.
I agree with you here, I'm also tired of this, but at the same time I get annoyed when the military is portrayed as always right, so it kind of balances out for me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
...Not really. A portrayal where the military is portrayed as competent, yet fallible, like the rest of us, would be a truly balance portrayal. Taking turns with portrayals that demonize or glorify them 100% the time is not balance.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
People in the military are no different than civilians, just putting on a uniform doesn't make you less fallible. I personally think we spend way too much on the military (do you really need to spend 700 Billion a year on defense? When taking half of that- 350 billion- and spending it on domestic stuff would help address SO MANY problems?)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Not sure if this counts as one, but the main character of a movie dying. Sand Serpents is a perfect example of this where the main character didn't deserve too die, its no the only one where the main characters dies that I have seen, buts it the only one that I remember. The same applies to a main character too (yes I'm referring to characters in Animals of Farthing Wood like Badger, Bold and Scarface).

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Incomptent military officers and enlisted men in movies really annoy me.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
One cliche I don’t like is how whenever you do a show that has a different villain every week (aka, Monster of the Week according to TV Tropes), I don’t like how it’s clearly obvious you can figure out who the villain is, even before the show actually showed you who it is.

Why do I think it’s bad?  Well let’s say you see some side character that plays a major role in a episode, and you never seen him before.  Chances are he/she is most likely the villain. 

So that way, when it’s revealed the guy you knew was the villain was in the beginning, is the actual villain, it really takes the fun out of guessing who the villain of the episode is.

Also, some examples I’ve seen the cliche in was Scooby-Doo and Bonkers (hey, even if I think Bonkers is a good show, I still don’t like how the cliche I mentioned is attempted in that show).