The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cliches that you are tired of..

brekclub85 · 128 · 10861

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Rain during sad, realizing moments.....pretty standard in a lot of films.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A couple of the heros being smart-arses.  It's happening a lot now a days, like Transformers, Sam is turning out to be a smart-arse.  Wanted, the main kid in there turns out to be one.....especially in the Wanted game.

Although, other than that, I think everyone else has pretty much covered my cliches, especially the horror ones, the villain is beaten and one or two characters end up living.  However, in Wolf Creek, one kid may've survived, but they never found the killer XD

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Speaking of horror films, I can't help but slap my own forehead everytime the power goes out and the character calls, "Hello?" :slap.  Not only does the character look like a total dumba**, but it's usually predictable that they're about to get whacked :rolleyes:.  Instead of acting like a how a smart person would and hide in silence, they set themselves up to be murdered :crazy.

Oh, and graphic sex scenes in horror films.  The characters are usually teens, so they have no business having sex to begin with, in my opinion.  Add in drinking, drugs, and one-night stands, and it becomes very old very quickly.  Seriously, can't there be another horror film released in which the characters are at least decent in that regard?  At least the Saw series, my favorite horror series of all time, does not have this kind of garbage.

Sorry if I just offended anybody.  I find graphic sex scenes to be very repulsive.  Also, I can't stand how much of it is in the media.  Sex is supposed to be an INTIMATE act between two soulmates, and yet the media makes humans look like rabbits :bang!  Of course, young folks will get the idea it's okay to do it, since the characters generally don't live long enough for viewers to learn the consequences of such irresponsibility (i.e. STDs, pregnancies).  No wonder kids are experimenting as early as elementary school, but that's off-topic.  I just don't care for seeing graphic sexual content.  If I was even slightly into that, I'd probably view certain controversial sites :x  :x.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not to mention that whenever the power goes out, they want to go out and investigate it.  I mean seriously, if it were me, I would be like "Screw that, I aint going anywhere....."

Why would you want to go and investigate the power going out on a dark and stormy night?  Something is bound to happen!

And yes, I agree with the Saw series, Jigsaw tends to choose those that have been ungrateful in life, not just some random teenager to go and slaughter....well, technically, the victums kill themselves in the traps if they are unsecessful in getting out, but you probabally can see my point anyway, to me, that's what sets Saw apart from other ones, it has a philosiphy in there I believe.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One clcihe that I'm sick of more particularly then ones I've already listed:

Big Cities are ALWAYS portrayed as terrible places to live and the people there are jerks or unlikeable and that cities/city folk in general are making the world a worse place,

whereas the country side is ALWAYS portrayed as a nice place to live, and it's ALWAYS a beautiful sight to see and the people there are always friendly and they are "Constantly getting picked on by the city folk."

I live in a fairly big city, (albeit one probably not recognizable if I told you it's name) and it's not a bad place at all. These kind of stories have a tendency to piss me off slightly.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I actually have another one, it may've been mentioned already, but I'll say it anyway.  Whenever ever someone hears a noise, they call out something like "Who's there!?" or whatever, as if they're trying to scare off the person instead of remaining quiet if they want to get the jump on them you know.

I've seen that in many horror movies and it just seems a bit stupid....

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: brekclub85,Jan 3 2010 on  06:54 PM
One clcihe that I'm sick of more particularly then ones I've already listed:

Big Cities are ALWAYS portrayed as terrible places to live and the people there are jerks or unlikeable and that cities/city folk in general are making the world a worse place,

whereas the country side is ALWAYS portrayed as a nice place to live, and it's ALWAYS a beautiful sight to see and the people there are always friendly and they are "Constantly getting picked on by the city folk."

I live in a fairly big city, (albeit one probably not recognizable if I told you it's name) and it's not a bad place at all. These kind of stories have a tendency to piss me off slightly.
That cliche doesn't really bother me so much. Not liking cities myself, I do consider cities as a less appealing place to live than out of the city. One reason I don't like cities is because there aren't many plants around, thus making the area hotter. Places covered in plants, such as trees and grass, tend to be cooler than urban areas.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Two more cliches that I dislike (Though they aqre essentially the same thing in hindsight):

Stories where athletic skill is considered more important than having brain,

And:

(This often applies to shows, books, and movies set at schools traditionally): When being good at a sport is the only way to get respect or have a fun time, and that "you can't possibly be having fun if you're in a non-athletic activity."

To summarize, I'm sick of stories that say "Being good at athletics is more important and always more fun than being good at academics."

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's probably a way to get people to become more active.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree with that, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. I know that being active is important, I just hate it when they make it seem like having "book smarts" makes you boring or unlikeable.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah yes, I am not too fond of that cliche either. Another cliche that I find annoying is how scientist characters are sometimes depicted as always wearing glasses, possibly being bald, and being a bit dorky. The only time that this cliche seems to work, in my opinion, is Half-Life 2 with Dr. Kleiner. There's another scientist who appears in the series, Dr. Magnusson, who is like the polar opposite of Dr. Kleiner.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
*The movies that portray Jocks as jerks and *Insert curse words here* Perfect example Ryan in Alvin and the Chipmunks 2.

* I agree with the under dog team winning thing. All though there were a few movies where the under dog team lost. (A league of their Own, Little Big League)*

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dash The Longneck,Jan 5 2010 on  06:49 AM
*The movies that portray Jocks as jerks and *Insert curse words here* Perfect example Ryan in Alvin and the Chipmunks 2.
Yeah I agree.

One of the very few times I've seen a jock portrayed positively is Max from Dino Squad; instead of being portrayed as a jerk like jocks usually are, he's more on the sympathetic side and is friendly and helpful. Provided he is a bit bossy, though he isn't a jerk about it.

I think Ulrich from Code Lyoko is also a jock but I don't know for sure. He isn't a jerk either. From what I recall, he's more on the shy side. Been a long time since I've seen the show, though, so I don't remember too much about his personality in the show other than he's not as outgoing as Odd.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how many times I've seen a character fall down a flight of stairs and die after breaking his or her neck :rolleyes:.  Seriously, I've known a lot of folks who have fallen down stairs (several times for myself) and have walked away alive and well.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
In movies, the nerd or the guy with the glasses always getting killed. I mean come on... you've got Dennis Nedry in Jurassic Park, and the astronomer at the start of Deep Impact. There have to be heaps of similar cases.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Another cliche I dislike.

Films that portray everything about White Western civilization as evil as we torment the poor innocent natives. Yeah, it happened in real life, but I'm tired of the whole White Guilt thing in which every attrocity that's been performed by those with pale skin is reinacted. Well, I'm sorry. I feel bad, Hollywood. Mission accomplished. I'd like a see movie that showed just what the Native Americans and Africans were already doing to each other before evil ol' whitey even got their hands on them.

Yeah, yeah, I have issues, but I'm tired of my society telling me I should feel like I've been an asshole who has descended from a line of other assholes who wronged minorities just by being white. Fuck you, Hollywood.

Edit: About Nedry getting killed in Jurassic Park. I don't think he was killed for being a nerd. I think he was killed for being back stabber who put many people at risk for a buck and for being enough of an idiot to shut down all power in a park with giant creatures ranging anywhere from 25-50 feet tall.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 11 2010 on  04:41 AM
Edit: About Nedry getting killed in Jurassic Park. I don't think he was killed for being a nerd. I think he was killed for being back stabber who put many people at risk for a buck and for being enough of an idea to shut down all power in a park with giant creatures ranging anywhere from 25-50 feet tall.

Yeah, but he's still the guy with the glasses. It's just a pattern I've noticed.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: SouthPawRacer,Jan 11 2010 on  02:08 PM
There have to be heaps of similar cases.
There happens to be one in Avatar - and that is, Grace. (biology nerd) :p

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Jan 11 2010 on  04:41 AM
Another cliche I dislike.

Films that portray everything about White Western civilization as evil as we torment the poor innocent natives. Yeah, it happened in real life, but I'm tired of the whole White Guilt thing in which every attrocity that's been performed by those with pale skin is reinacted. Well, I'm sorry. I feel bad, Hollywood. Mission accomplished. I'd like a see movie just what the Native Americans and Africans were already doing to each other before evil ol' whitey even got their hands on them.

Yeah, yeah, I have issues, but I'm tired of my society telling me I should feel like I've been an asshole who has descended from a line of other assholes who wronged minorities just be being white. Fuck you, Hollywood.

I could not have said it any better, WeirdRaptor <_<!  What about the first Thanksgiving, where both the pilgrims AND the Native Americans came together for a day of thanks?  I don't think there's even a film out there about the first Thanksgiving.  Not enough drama, I suppose :rolleyes:.  Also, those many movies about slavery in America and how the Caucasians treated African Americans pre-Civil Rights movement (and even during).  I really do not mean any disrespect toward any race or ethnicity, but does anybody stop to think that Africa's royalty gave the permission for their own people to be kidnapped and forced into slavery?  Where's the movie about that?  And what about the upheaval in Haiti in which the people killed all of the Caucasians, consequently resulting in the social unrest they still experience today?  

Caucasians are not to blame for every wrongdoing that has taken place among humankind, and I too get sick and tired of my race being slapped with the "Bad Race" label by Hollywood :anger.