The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cliches that you are tired of..

brekclub85 · 128 · 10915

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 7 2010 on  03:51 PM
Another thing about these movie Anti-Christs... Why are they always so obvious? According to the Book of Revelation, the Anti-Christ is going to be loved by nearly one and all, so a high amount of charisma and good people skills would be a must to cover up their true nature.
Well, my complaint is that with the exception of The Omega Code, most of the Anti-Christs seem to pop out of nowhere and blow everything up. The Omega Code perfectly demonstrated what you just described, and in a way that we had never really thought of. Stone Alexander is the only Anti-Christ I can think of that's the only really, truely good one that matches. Unlike the dummy that offers to pull Arnold-man from the window and ends up getting pulled down himself :wow . That's another thing. Most of the others are stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID! Alexander, on the other hand... "Oh, you're hanging from a window? Too bad. Bye."

Gosh darn it, those were awesome demonstrations of Armageddon 8D .

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I know, but once you got me thinking about what I find wrong with movie depictions of the Anti-Christ, I had to put my two cents in.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is more of a genre than a cliche, but I'm really sick of movies about the apocalypse.  In fact, I'm just sick of disaster movies period.    

Oh yeah, I'm also sick of vampire movies and that includes Twilight.  Vampires suck.  (no pun intended)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not a fan of vampires myself, but I don't think they "suck". They're just not my preference. If other people like vampires, that's fine with me.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I found a video that AVGN made of his Top 10 Worst Movie Cliches.  I'm sure you'll agree with at least one of them.

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-top-10/3327701

I especially am tired with the Stupid Villains thing. -_-

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All true, and all will continue to be used.  And they'll be adding some also.  From what I heard another one is the shaky camera shot, like it's very bad amateur video with the person shaking their hand camera.  

The bad guy talking to the hero instead of killing them stretches all the way back to even the pulp days and before so it's a very old thing.  One lazy way for the hero and audience to find out what is really going on or to provide some bit of info, that could be found out using other methods.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Another old cliche: Characters possessing a firearm, but then they don't use it and get whacked by the bad guy :bang.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Here's another: independent computer hackers being better than government employed ones. Seriously, like in Die Hard 4 (which I like) and Swordfish (not so much), I just found it difficult to believe that the government didn't have people every bit as brilliant as the villainous hackers employed, countering them.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Feb 11 2010 on  10:17 PM
Another old cliche: Characters possessing a firearm, but then they don't use it and get whacked by the bad guy :bang.
I tell you what.  I got a gun and you got a chainsaw, guess who is gonna win that fight!

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Feb 11 2010 on  11:55 PM
I tell you what.  I got a gun and you got a chainsaw, guess who is gonna win that fight!
 :exactly

Too bad these film characters that end up dead are not smart enough to think like that :bang.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Whenever a show or movie does a Star Wars parody.

Look, I'm not a Star Wars fan or even a hater, but I think it's been spoofed to death by now, as was Star Trek.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: brekclub85,Mar 17 2010 on  08:02 PM
Whenever a show or movie does a Star Wars parody.

Look, I'm not a Star Wars fan or even a hater, but I think it's been spoofed to death by now, as was Star Trek.
Quoted for truth! I love the original Star Wars trilogy but I wanna see some new movie parodies. I mean think how funny an Avatar parody would be XD

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
In slashers, teenagers doing patently stupid things.

I know some classmates (who I and some of my friends consider less than bright) who did something that could have come right out of a slasher movie: they decided to sneak into an old mental hospital.

And yet, even they were brighter than the average teen in slasher movie: they had the prudence to carry flashlights, stay together and even carry weapons (baseball bats, pieces of wood and I think some of them had knives).

-----------------------------------------

Another one:

People not fighting dirty.

It should be obvious to anyone who has read any of my writings (especially Twilight Valley) that I prefer fight scenes to be brutal and both combatants to be fighting dirty.

Still, the concept of the good guy always fighting by the rules and the bad guy going for cheap shots is a cliche that I have never liked.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I really don't like the modern fighting scenes. I guess that's one of the reasons why I like the Musketeer movies (the first two) because you can actually SEE what's going on in the fight...and everyone's fighting fairly, even the bad guy.

I also wish combatants would get TIRED when they fight. Just like the fight between D'Artagnan and Rouchfort after Constance's death (Grrrrrr :anger ). While it was refreshing that the girl wasn't saved, I REALLY wish it wasn't Constance.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Kids knowing how to operate heavy machinery. Last Action Hero, the Power Rangers movie, and We're Back are perfect examples of this.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
For some reason, there is a recent (last decade) trend of magic-users being attacked by, tempted by, used by, or in some other way being manipulated by demons. Two examples off of the top of my head. First, in EVERY Avernum computer game in which it appears, the Tower of Magi (later known as the Tower colony) is attacked by demons, or else has demons from a previous attack still hanging around it. The second, and much-better publicized is Dragon Age: Origins, in which EVERY mage is tempted by demons, and they even have to pass a test to prove that they can resist demonic possession, or else they are killed or lobotomized to prevent possible infestation.  

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Another one is magic being portrayed as being superior to science and technology.

That is the reason I LOVE the Insane Cafe RP series: magic and technology are on equal grounds.

And that is reason I stopped reading Harry Potter books and started looking for fan fictions that make magic and technology on equal grounds.

-----------------------

Oh yeah, radiation giving superpowers.

That one really irritates me as a biologist.

Yeah, is cancer a superpower?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Not to mention radiation is more likely to kill you than give you any kind of powers.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I also don't like the whole "different is better" cliche. No, it is NOT always better! Some people who are different really ARE worse off than those who are like the social norm, and often for a good reason! In any even, even if one is "different", they are usually not better than most people, even if the might be just the same as them in more ways than people give them credit for. Of course, in fiction, this often translates as "born with a curse" or "I have powers that I never asked for and everyone fears me because of it."

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The fact that anti-sexism(which granted is an important thing, I hate sexists) stories always go like this:  boys are being sexist to girls. Never the other way around. Granted, I'm aware that in real life this is the majority case, but girls are still capable of doing it to boys and it's still just as wrong and potentially hurtful.

I remember a girl on my school bus who had a shirt that on the back that essentially said "All men are evil, sex-crazed, idiotic monsters."