The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cliches that you are tired of..

brekclub85 · 128 · 10932

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Hollywood atheists The only atheists in movies are atheists because of some traumatic thing in their past like the death of a loved one, causing them to lose faith in God. Or they're skeptics of everything or really cynical. We're not all like that!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Here's another one. Movies with presidents suspiciously similar to whoever was in office at the time and get portrayed negatively. It's a form of distasteful political commentary that always seems out of place in a film like Die Hard. It's part of the reason why I found the G.I. Joe movie to be refreshing. White president in film with Obama real life in office and with that president portrayed as a sensible person.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I also don't like the whole "different is better" cliche. No, it is NOT always better! Some people who are different really ARE worse off than those who are like the social norm, and often for a good reason! In any even, even if one is "different", they are usually not better than most people, even if the might be just the same as them in more ways than people give them credit for. Of course, in fiction, this often translates as "born with a curse" or "I have powers that I never asked for and everyone fears me because of it."
In this respect I wish there was a bit more of the cliche in real live that makes the not quite normal people popular in fiction. In many stories the peculiarities of characters end up giving them a big popularity bonus (usually after some dose of political incorrectness of some characters on behalf of political correctness on the part of the fiction). While we have mercifully reached a stage of development where most of the time people don't need to fear for dear life anymore people are still likely not to get on too close terms with anyone known to have odd hobby (like land before time).

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
The funny thing is, "different is better" can be seen as a kind of discrimination against the majority. If "different is better", then normal must be worse. If nothing else, it implies bad things about a much larger number of people. It is elitist for one to assume that most people are part of some sort of unthinking mob while only a few exceptional people are worthy of praise just because they are different.

Still, in any case, no one deserves to die for being different. I think we can both agree on that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are different ways of being different and you rightfully pointed out that not all of these are positive. If someone differs by being a particularly talented bully able to mess up people at a much higher rate and effectiveness than "normal people" this is hardly a deviation from the norm that ought to be appreciated. But if for example a girl turn out to be excellent at a sport usually associated with guys or if a guy turns out to be very talented in a form of craftsmanship or art more likely to be associated with girls I do think that very often this is more perceived as abnormal (negative) and met with fake politeness at best rather than being appreciated for the quality it is.
There are also the abnormal interests or hobbies which are neither a vice nor a quality but tend to be treated like the former (e.g. being interested in LBT after reaching an age higher than that of the group where it would be accepted as normal).

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is true; some differences are simply neutral, not better or worse. If someone likes the Land Before Time movies, that by itself does not signify anything about them one way or another. Also, keep in mind how popular and long-lasting a series this was. I don't think it is truly abnormal to have heard of it, at the very least. Now, are there some abnormal things associated with the series, such as being obsessed with a character? Maybe. Even so, I don't think that makes one better or worse, unless it becomes an unhealthy obsession. How one defines "unhealthy obsession" is very much open to debate; I don't have much to say about that.

Another cliche I don't like is how crashing cars ALWAYS seem to explode in movies. Having seen cars crash before, I can tell you that explosions are the exception and not the rule when a crash happens. And thank goodness.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess whether "unhealthy" or not in case of an unusual interest depends on whether it is your personal interest and you just stand for it (as in not being shy to devote your time to it, not hiding it, and not denying it when being asked about it) or if you are taking efforts to ram it down everybody's throat.
There is a Trekkie at my university who is seriously overdoing it. Printing Star Trek logos on his thesis papers (however unrelated the topic is to Star Trek), using space ship console images for a background in power point presentations (again, no matter the topic), wearing Star Trek uniforms, giving professors the military salute, and always trying to imitate a speech pattern of science fiction movies and military language... that is really an example of where I think it get's unhealthy. One must be able to distinguish between real life and ones hobbies (a point I included in my signature as well).

Another cliche I don't like is how crashing cars ALWAYS seem to explode in movies. Having seen cars crash before, I can tell you that explosions are the exception and not the rule when a crash happens. And thank goodness.
For all I know (never tried obviously :p) one could drop a burning match into a car tank and all it would do would be extinguishing from lack of oxygen. Unless gas / petrol is leaking out or a gaping whole in the tank allows for more oxygen to get in there is not much of a risk and in both cases the result would be more likely to be a big fire with high flames but without an actual explosion (which would require expanding gases to be contained).

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
A cliche I am not fond of is the good guys always beating the bad guys.  There are plenty of historical examples of really bad people who won wars, or came to power in repressive countries.

One of the reasons why Claw Valley is my favourite faction in Twilight Valley... because evil is so much more interesting then good.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Noname,Mar 18 2010 on  01:44 AM
I also don't like the whole "different is better" cliche. No, it is NOT always better! Some people who are different really ARE worse off than those who are like the social norm, and often for a good reason! In any even, even if one is "different", they are usually not better than most people, even if the might be just the same as them in more ways than people give them credit for. Of course, in fiction, this often translates as "born with a curse" or "I have powers that I never asked for and everyone fears me because of it."
I think it more or less depends on the situation. Sometimes being different is bad and social norm good, but then in some cases this may be reversed.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Mar 18 2010 on  08:36 AM
Quote from: Noname,Mar 18 2010 on  01:44 AM
I think it more or less depends on the situation. Sometimes being different is bad and social norm good, but then in some cases this may be reversed.
Well, it looks like we all have a grasp of the obvious, don't we?  :lol

I'll admit that saying "some differences are good and others are bad" isn't a very deep statement on my part. Another cliche is how whenever criminals, terrorists, or someone along those lines tries to get through security in a movie, they ALWAYS do it, whereas the few times it happens in real life are the exception, not the rule.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Mar 18 2010 on  09:17 PM
I know, they even proved it wrong in Mythbusters once....although, I can't recall what they got instead of an exploding car, I think the car just caught on fire and that was it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: MrDrake,Mar 20 2010 on  11:27 PM
I know, they even proved it wrong in Mythbusters once....although, I can't recall what they got instead of an exploding car, I think the car just caught on fire and that was it.
If cars blew up that easily I would never get behind the wheel.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The only car that I know of that exploded so stereotypically was the Ford Pinto. There's a whole sad story behind that infamous model; the Ford engineers KNEW it was unsafe, but they thought that it would cost them less in settling lawsuits than it would to fix the problem. Not only didn't they consider the human cost, but they didn't consider the cost to their reputation.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
:o  Wow. That is a sad story. Sadly, I'm unsurprised.

Another cliche I grew tired of. Demonization of the military. Seriously, Hollywood? Step off. These are the people who are standing between us and being take over by someone else.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Another thing I don't like? Criticism of organized religion in many movies, especially ones that don't get the facts straight, like the Da Vinci code. If someone is going to criticize something, the very least they can do is to make sure they know what they are talking about first!

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sick of new always being portrayed as evil while old-fashioned is always portrayed as good.

Chomper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
i wish that in some movies and games they would have the main character wrestle with their personal demons, God of War 3 is a good example.

Kratos is anything but a hero, he is self serving, and mercilous. I do like however, when you think he is going to kill someone he saves them. I also like how they made the olympian gods corrupt and evil, and not the wise beings in greek mythology.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Black being used to represent evil. Or darkness being attributed to evil. I mostly wear black shirts so I guess that makes me evil  :lol

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
^ Intriguingly, from watching the Musketeer films, black seems to be the "good guy color", since the Musketeer uniform is black...and white and gold. The "bad guy" color appears to be red (The Cardinal's Guard) and white (Milady DeWinter)...
Until the fouth movie where the Musketeers were wearing blue instead of black.
Ewww DX . Not right. Not right.

NOT D'Artagnan's color...oh well, he never wears his uniform, anyway, the old living-in-the-country-with-a-family coot XD

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Mar 20 2010 on  11:34 PM
Quote from: MrDrake,Mar 20 2010 on  11:27 PM
If cars blew up that easily I would never get behind the wheel.
If this was the case, I would not even be sitting here typing this post :blink:.

I really hate how many movies, particularly horror films, have so many sex-crazed male characters and slutty female characters.  The worst part is when there is a character who is known to be a virgin and he or she is picked on by the trashy characters for their virginity <_<.  Seriously, when was it ever a crime to be a virgin :huh:?