The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The World wide Mythology Trivia Quiz

Saft · 93 · 17244

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
St Brigit is an Irish saint whose hagiographies contain a number of legendary events, some of them from the pre-Christian beliefs of Ireland.

For example, St Brigit's birth is said to have occured at sunrise, her mother giving birth over the threshold with one foot inside the house and the other outside. Her father was Dagda ("the shining god") or Dubthach ("dark"). Brigit would only drink the milk of a white cow with red ears, and she filled the house with a shine that reached heaven. The neighbours thought the house was on fire, but by the time they arrived to put it out they saw it had vanished.

The question is: what time of the day is this goddess a personification of?

And an optional question: what does the reddish cow symbolise?

And another optional question: There's a diety in a major Eurasian mythological tradition which also performs the same function and is also connected with reddish cows. What's the name of the deity and in what way is she related to the Celtic Brigit?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
OK, there's nothing actually trivial about this. My mistake.

Here's the answer. The discription of St Brigit's birth is the Christianised version of the birth of Dawn. The sunrise, the birth over the house's threshold that symbolises separation of day and night, and the fire rising to heaven can leave no doubt about the function of this deity.

In Indo-European cultures, the cow was the most revered animal, a symbol of wealth, of all that is good. The cow with red ears is a symbol of the reddish light of the sky at dawn.

Another deity that is connected with red cows is Ushas, the dawn goddess from the Rigveda, India's most ancient religious text, who releases red cows out of the (heavenly) pen at the beginning of every day. Here the red cow has the same meaning as in the Irish myth.

How are these two godesses connected? They stem from two cultures, Celtic and Indo-Aryan, who speak languages belonging to the Indo-European family of languages, and when analysing mythologies of other Indo-European cultures, such as Greek culture, we find Eos, which is also a dawn goddess, and like Brigit and Ushas she is also connected with red light (Eos is called rhododaktylos Eos, "rose-fingered Dawn" in Greek), and Eos and Ushas in particular share many attributes, such as a golden attire, being white-armed, and a golden chariot pulled by two white stallions. Not only that, but the words Eos and Ushas, both meaning "dawn", stem from the same proto-Indo-European word, Heusos (where H is a glottal stop).

So, the two godesses, Brigit and Ushas, are the local versions of the ancient Indo-European goddess Heusos, or "Dawn", daughter of Dyeus, the Indo-European god of the clear sky and supreme deity. At the beginning of each day she opened the gates of heaven so that the Sun can rise, releasing the red light of dawn, and then yoking her stallions to the chariot and then riding out across the sky, the shining, burning spectacle of her appearance and of her horses and chariot heralding to the entire world the start of the long-awaited day.

I think it would be good now for somebody else to restart this game.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Roger. Here's a new question.

What mythical hero tied himself to a post while critically injured so that he died standing up, causing an entire enemy army to hold back for fear he was still alive? (Bonus point if you identify the nationality of the myth and hero)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It reminds me of the Spanish legend of El Cid Campeador, but I think I may be mistaken there for El Cid I think was tied not on a post but onto his horse after he was already dead to lead his army into battle during the siege of his town Valencia. Legend has it that the sight of the presumed death "living legend" El Cid so disturbed his enemies that they ended the siege.
El Cid by the way is a historical figure of the name Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar who lived in 11th century Spain. Still not sure if he is the one you have in mind.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 10 2013 on  03:22 AM
It reminds me of the Spanish legend of El Cid Campeador, but I think I may be mistaken there for El Cid I think was tied not on a post but onto his horse after he was already dead to lead his army into battle during the siege of his town Valencia. Legend has it that the sight of the presumed death "living legend" El Cid so disturbed his enemies that they ended the siege.
El Cid by the way is a historical figure of the name Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar who lived in 11th century Spain. Still not sure if he is the one you have in mind.
Not that the myth of "hero ties himself to a post" is unique by any stance, but that is not the myth I'm thinking of. Here's a hint; the hero is from Celtic mythology.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: jansenov,Apr 10 2013 on  09:07 AM
Is it Cu Chulainn?
Bingo! One of the most badass mythical heros I've ever read (we read "The Myth of the Bull" in class)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thor is a typical Indo-European storm god. An Indo-European storm god has the following traits:

-he is the son of the sky god and is the greatest among his brothers and sisters

-unlike his father, who is either disinterested in the everyday running of the world or is a god of elite members of society, he is the god of the common people, ensuring rain to water the fields

-he is depicted as a middle-aged man, with reddish beard and hair

-he is easily angered, and very violent

-he consumes enormous amounts of food and drink, particularly a divine substance that is the cause of the gods' immortality

-he is the physically strongest of the gods

-he drives a chariot or wagon, pulled by either horses or goats

-he has a specially crafted solid (never energetic) weapon that either returns or a new weapon is crafted for him each time

-oaks are dedicated to him, and worship and sacrifices can be perfomed at or near an oak tree

-he slays many demons, giants or other monsters, but the greatest monster is a giant serpent that causes drought by blocking the flow of waters, or guards a spring or is connected to water in some other way, usually lives on a mountain, and is killed by smashing its head and its dead body is usually covered by water

However, Thor also shows some traits that he doesn't share with the other Indo-European storm gods. For example, he will die in his battle with the serpent, and there is also one being who is physically stronger than Thor.

The question is, who?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
His son Magni? If I remember correctly he was the only other one who could wield Mjˆlnir, but I am not quite certain about this one.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Correct! Not only that, but he was also the only god who could lift the stone giant Hrungnir's foot off Thor.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry, I had utterly forgotten.
Which sea is named after a father who committed suicide by jumping into that sea from a high cliff? Whose father is it and why did he commit that suicide according to the legend?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It was Aegeus, who killed himself because his son Theseus forgot his father's instructions to hoist white sails upon returning from killing the Minotaur, so his father, assuming Theseus dead, threw himself into the sea that later became known as the Aegean.