The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Multiplayer LBT RPG game

action9000 · 224 · 20763

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Not technically a bug, but after pressing W for like a minute, I reached the outskirts of the level! The physics are really different once you leave the grey rocky ground. You can't jump, for one, and if you jump from the rocky ground and land in the non-ground, you'll levitate endlessly.

Again, not a bug, just cool.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The physics are really different once you leave the grey rocky ground. You can't jump, for one, and if you jump from the rocky ground and land in the non-ground, you'll levitate endlessly.
Haha, ahh yes. ;)

Again, not a bug, just cool.
Technically it's a bug but it's not worth fixing.
Why?

This happens because my program uses "raycasting" to check whether the player is in the air or on the ground, as well as what the terrain is like.
Basically, it shoots a beam straight down below the player.  When it hits the ground, it tells me how far away the ground is.

If there *is* no ground, it tells me the distance is zero, hence it thinks you're on the ground.  This isn't an issue though because in a real, complete map, you will ALWAYS have ground below you eventually.  The concept of having literally no ground below anywhere is impossible on a real map.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As long as you have limits that keep folks from being able to get to the areas outside the map.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I've just got some idea of the possible bug in the future. If the game does not have a central server, players can easily create characters with the same names. What will happen, if such characters would meet each other in one game session? At least, that can made problem with sending private messages. :huh:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What will happen, if such characters would meet each other in one game session? At least, that can made problem with sending private messages. 
That's actually a good point. A lot of games that don't have central servers just seem to ignore the problem.

What we can do is check the names that are in the game and if the player joining is matched to one of them we can add an extra character onto their game name...like a _ or a 2 or something.

We'll see what it's like when we start getting a username system working but that's what I"m thinking.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds like an idea.  Though you'd have to decide if it'll add an extra character and that is all or a - before the extra character to make it easier to make out and notice.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Is there a way we can stop them from choosing a name that matches a real character? I just don't think players should be allowed to choose "Ducky" or "Littlefoot" for their name, since they're not. "Ducky2" or "Ducky_" are acceptable, however.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is there a way we can stop them from choosing a name that matches a real character? I just don't think players should be allowed to choose "Ducky" or "Littlefoot" for their name, since they're not. "Ducky2" or "Ducky_" are acceptable, however.
Sure.  That's actually a good idea, I like it.  Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Though you'd have to decide if it'll add an extra character and that is all or a - before the extra character to make it easier to make out and notice.
Yeah.  We'll get to that once I get a few more features implimented.  For now though, I do agree that no two players should have the same name appear in the game.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ I wonder though if perhaps it might contribute to the "atmosphere" of the game if we avoid names that include numbers or signs. Perhaps we could come up with a list of dinosaur names based on species from which the players could pick one. I am not in favor of "enforcing" particular names, but I think we should encourage the picking of names which might sound a bit like names or even dinosaur names rather than chat identities.

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 24 2008 on  03:16 AM
^ I wonder though if perhaps it might contribute to the "atmosphere" of the game if we avoid names that include numbers or signs. Perhaps we could come up with a list of dinosaur names based on species from which the players could pick one. I am not in favor of "enforcing" particular names, but I think we should encourage the picking of names which might sound a bit like names or even dinosaur names rather than chat identities.
What's wrong with just picking our own names as long as we don't use numbers or anything like that?  I would rather name my own character instead of having somebody else decide for me.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, the idea with pre-made nicknames doesn't seems very nice.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A list of some suggested names may be nice.  Names in the spirit of LBT.  Some folks have trouble coming up with names.  Though I don't think it's possible to avoid some chat sounding names, those will happen.  So names like Sonikdude, Mariorocks, SonicnKnuckles and such will occur.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just want to be iris..  :unsure: And with premade nicknames, how can one know who he/she is. You can still act as if you're everyone.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Premade names: Not gonna happen.

I just want to be iris..
Exactly, that should not be difficult! :p

I wonder though if perhaps it might contribute to the "atmosphere" of the game if we avoid names that include numbers or signs. Perhaps we could come up with a list of dinosaur names based on species from which the players could pick one. I am not in favor of "enforcing" particular names, but I think we should encourage the picking of names which might sound a bit like names or even dinosaur names rather than chat identities.
I think that should depend on the type of game the players with to play.  Perhaps we could have it as an option: "Role-play server?" when you host the game.

If the players are interested in role-playing a bit more, having the host set it as a role-play server.  These servers will have the name restrictions mentioned (no numbers or symbols).

The host can also choose a "normal" server, which doesn't have the name restrictions.

As for LBT names...I agree, perfect matches of LBT names should not be allowed, as there will be NPCs with the exact same names.

Thoughts on having the name restriction system be an option for the host?

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'd just rather be able to creat a name for my character instead of having to pick from a list.  I agree with the no munbers or symbles thing but other than that, there should be no name restrictions.  Besides that, I don't think most people will have a problem with names anyway.  You can probably program the game to not allow symbles or numbers in names anyway.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What about names with CapiTal letTers in the middle? If we're trying to keep names normal, we should axe those as well (though with my username, I'm kinda calling the kettle black).

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Jun 25 2008 on  06:42 AM
What about names with CapiTal letTers in the middle? If we're trying to keep names normal, we should axe those as well (though with my username, I'm kinda calling the kettle black).
I do not like that  :lol: I think it's easier if you enter a username and it immediatly starts with a capital, even when you don't enter it. and thats the only capital used..
And after a space ofcourse

Captain Mumbling :p

I dunno if you can do that  :^.^:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Captain Mumbling
*tries to picture what a dino named "Captain Mumbling" would look like...* :wow  :D

I do not like that I think it's easier if you enter a username and it immediatly starts with a capital, even when you don't enter it. and thats the only capital used..
And after a space ofcourse

Captain Mumbling

I dunno if you can do that
Automatically changing the first letter to a capital is simple enough.  I'm game for doing that.

There is a bit of an issue with a naming convention system, which I am concerned with:
If we are to force users to abide by our restrictions all the time it won't be an issue, but then we have the problem of potentially frustating players who don't want to make a name that meets our conditions, for example our lovely lady Captain Mumbling here, who wouldn't be able to use the two-word name.
An option is to include in the game instructions that LBT-like names are highly encouraged and numbers/spaces/symbols are strongly discouraged.  Forcefully taking away from freedom from the player seems a little unreasonable to me, especially since we don't know exactly how far the game will extend into the LBT community.

The reason I'm concerned about it is because, yes, we could simply give the host player options for names to allow in the game.
Problem:

Characters created and saved on other games may not meet the requirements.  How could this player join the game?  Would they be given the option to rename their character in order to join the server?  I suppose that would work...though I'm not usually a fan of renaming characters.

Basically, I'm trying to give players freedom while simultaneously giving more role-play-ish traits to the game design.  i'd like to give the host the option of making the server strict-named or not.  Setting up a strict-name server would force non-compliant joiners to rename that character before they could join the game.  Does this sound reasonable?

What about names with CapiTal letTers in the middle?
I'm going to allow it, in case players want to use names like McGruff or something of a similar style.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What about anti-swearing mechanism in nicknames and chat? I mean, tha part of code, that won't allow players to swear too freely inside the game? :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good idea, especially for when I'm angry with my dad once again. I'm trying to swear less when it comes to that though. Anyway I think it's a good idea coyote :) .