The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT roleplay in the style of the original movie?

Ducky123 · 399 · 53529

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Oct 2 2017 on  02:52 AM
whoa already?
But wait, I never played roleplay before, I don't know rules! In what order do people post? Can they write other characters' actions or only their own? Who rules the extension of general plot? Only Ducky? What we're allowed to do and what we can't?
I know i'm not in this RP, but I'll answer the best I can.

No, your not supposed to make other member's characters do actions. You're only supposed to make your own characters do actions to them. The only things I have other's do in my posts is very very basic things, if they are really needed in my posts, maybe something like.

"Littlefoot was so embarrassed. As he looked around the group, he saw everyone else staring at him, filling him with shame. He wondered what everyone else must be thinking he was doing."

That doesn't make other peoples characters do too much yourself, and leaves open everyone else to write down their character's thoughts, or what they will say, how they will respond to what you did with your post.

There is usually not a set order for posting, and ducky said setting one up here would be difficult. Just post when you think it's time for your characters to do something, but try to wait for other's to make their posts if you can. You can always make a post in this thread if you have a question, or wondering who should probably post next, etc.

If you wanna do something major, extending the plot, you'd have to discuss it here first, and make sure the others are okay with it first. If you're unsure, ask Ducky123.

Hope I'm not stepping out of line here, or anything. Rhombus asked if I wanted to join, but I think I'll just sit back and watch for now. Don't even know what's going on, really. :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
whoa already?
But wait, I never played roleplay before, I don't know rules! In what order do people post? Can they write other characters' actions or only their own? Who rules the extension of general plot? Only Ducky? What we're allowed to do and what we can't?
vonboy explained it pretty well. The general extension of the general plot is usually something that would be discussed with the other players if it's a bigger thing. I do not intend to rule, I just tried to summarize what's been discussed these past weeks and made my first post accordingly. We decide things together and I usually ask for opinions before I make a decision :)

I have one more question concerning the first posts. Ducky started with the oasis scene but drifted quickly into the past while Lone Dragon and rhombus stayed completely in their backstories. Are we supposed to all write a post or few about how we ended up in the oasis or what?
Haven't seen their posts yet but, I guess, it's up to everyone. I remembered Sovereign (i think...) suggesting this start at the moment they all meet so I went with it  :unsure:

Hope I'm not stepping out of line here, or anything. Rhombus asked if I wanted to join, but I think I'll just sit back and watch for now. Don't even know what's going on, really. dino_tongue.gif
Don't worry, your opinion is always welcomed even if you are not a player right now  ^^spike
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Oct 2 2017 on  04:04 AM
I have one more question concerning the first posts. Ducky started with the oasis scene but drifted quickly into the past while Lone Dragon and rhombus stayed completely in their backstories. Are we supposed to all write a post or few about how we ended up in the oasis or what?
Mine did not stay completely in the backstory (though it mostly was) as the post established that he was heading in the direction of the hills, and hinted at some of his survival skills.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I did suggest starting at the oasis but these first posts didn't really make it a major focus. I thought we'd begin with the conflict over the food but at the moment it doesn't seem like it. I can also go with Ducky's idea of finding Aquarius in the cave, though but I thought we'd begin together at the oasis. :unsure:

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, thank you. Now I undestand.
I will wait till the time when my character introduces his dark person.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Yes, I did suggest starting at the oasis but these first posts didn't really make it a major focus. I thought we'd begin with the conflict over the food but at the moment it doesn't seem like it. I can also go with Ducky's idea of finding Aquarius in the cave, though but I thought we'd begin together at the oasis.

I believe we were supposed to start at the oasis but I'm probably in the wrong there :oops When I first made my post I read through the overview very quickly and overlooked the oasis part. I was just a little to excited to begin  :p
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Did I misinterpret the previous discussion? I understood it as a "we start in the oasis but postpone the main conflict until we've caught up"  :unsure:

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That was my impression too but seeing how others started, I might as well follow suit. I'll post my first message later today.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I think my post might have brought about some confusion. My intent was to have my character near the oasis. Admittedly this was not made clear by my post, but that is the plan.

The only thing I'm really confused about is the timeline. How long after the wave could this realistically take place? Because it seems to me like this would have to be weeks or even months later for this to make sense, unless the oasis is really close to the shore.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think now we are all confused.  :confused

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Perhaps it would be best to set everything in stone now, then, to avoid further confusion. We should be asking:

-Where are we right now?
-How close are we to the oasis?
-How far is the oasis from the ocean?
-How long ago did the tsunami hit?

I think everyone knows roughly where they are in the days following the tsunami; I simply think getting our timeline and exact location stated clearly will be enough for everyone to get their bearings. For example, you might say that the main party (if there is a main party) is at X. Knowing that, someone else can see that if the tsunami happened Y time ago, then given it's been Y since the tsunami, and the party is at X, then their character should be at Z, Z being their character's own time and place.

If this is confusing, I'll try to reword it. Trying to write on my phone.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, the start has been rather chaotic and the points Fyn raised are quite urgent. In the end, if no one really wants to start from the oasis at all, we may drop that idea and go on from where the major focus in our first posts are. Either way works for me. But if we go on with my idea, it's a good question where the oasis, and our starting point actually is. Ducky didn't show it on the map. :unsure: I'd imagine it being rather far inland, perhaps two to three days from the Big Water. That's just my impression, though.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Snik,Oct 2 2017 on  01:49 PM
Well, thank you. Now I undestand.
I will wait till the time when my character introduces his dark person.
Slash has a back story too...I'm thinking of showing occasional flashbacks of my sharptooth's life before and during the tsunami. I don't know if I'm allowed to do that though since I'm not a main character but an antagonist. Could I do that?
Then I'm thinking of occasional posts of him surviving at the same time period as the flashbacks happen while the protagonists are surviving until the first encounter.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
I believe our original starting points are on the map if we want to try Sovereigns idea. As I said before my post was probably the confusing starter because I forgot that we were supposed to start at the oasis however since the RP has gone the direction it has here is what I make of it.

Ducky is at the oasis.

Fyn is near the oasis.

Jorrdy starts close to the oasis.

I don't know where Rhombus is but that means the he could position Buko near the oasis.

And me and Sovereign have just entered the cave together which is further away from the oasis. So we could still potentially do a meet up of one group there while Aquarius and Rinen travel there. This scenario would mean that the Great Wave has only just hit unless we decide to make the previous posts as full on flashbacks while for the others not affected by the wave they would probably already be converging on the oasis. I don't know about Darkwolf though as she has posted yet.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, the big issue here is that if the wave just hit, I'll need to retract my post and wait this one out, as my character's backstory involves those who fled the disaster. I'll stand by and see what happens.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I'd really like to know if the tsunami just ended at the start of the RP or it has been about a week or less since it happened...
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll try to reply to all questions once I'm at home. Quoting people is a pain on the phone ....

------

Alright, here we go!

Perhaps it would be best to set everything in stone now, then, to avoid further confusion. We should be asking:

-Where are we right now?
-How close are we to the oasis?
-How far is the oasis from the ocean?
-How long ago did the tsunami hit?
Very good questions. The way I see things is this:

1. Roughly around the starting point I indicated in the map
2. I'd say it's about a week or two of travel. That way they'd be pretty hungry and tired once they arrive. Opinions?
3. I'd imagine it lying further inland. If I were to extend the map, the ocean would bend towards the north, therefore retreating from the oasis which I imagine to be roughly east of where we start
4. I was mostly looking at Aquarius' backstory when I decided for my character that she would start the day after the tsunami, allowing the Lone Dragon to have this "rough entry" into the story with Aquarius being battered and heavily injured. I know it clinched a little with other backstories which depended a little more on the after-effects of such a catastrophy.

If you are generally unhappy with the current timing, please let me know and I will suggest changes in both the timing and the backstories of those who would no longer match

yeah, the start has been rather chaotic and the points Fyn raised are quite urgent. In the end, if no one really wants to start from the oasis at all, we may drop that idea and go on from where the major focus in our first posts are. Either way works for me.
I would be fine either way, although it'd probably be easier to keep the current situation as it is. You guys probably spent much more time writing your posts than I did (~30 mins) and it'd be sad to see the work go to waste  :confused

Please give me feedback on this so I know where everybody stands and plan accordingly :)

Slash has a back story too...I'm thinking of showing occasional flashbacks of my sharptooth's life before and during the tsunami. I don't know if I'm allowed to do that though since I'm not a main character but an antagonist. Could I do that?
Yes, that sounds like a good idea to me :yes

I believe our original starting points are on the map if we want to try Sovereigns idea. As I said before my post was probably the confusing starter because I forgot that we were supposed to start at the oasis however since the RP has gone the direction it has here is what I make of it.

Ducky is at the oasis.

Fyn is near the oasis.

Jorrdy starts close to the oasis.

I don't know where Rhombus is but that means the he could position Buko near the oasis.

And me and Sovereign have just entered the cave together which is further away from the oasis. So we could still potentially do a meet up of one group there while Aquarius and Rinen travel there. This scenario would mean that the Great Wave has only just hit unless we decide to make the previous posts as full on flashbacks while for the others not affected by the wave they would probably already be converging on the oasis. I don't know about Darkwolf though as she has posted yet.
Well, here comes the confusing part. I honoured Sovereign's idea by giving this short, direct-into-the-action, opening at the oasis. However, I did not intend to have any actual action there until we've caught up with the formation of the two groups who then reach the oasis (+ fastrunners possibly stalking), just a mere intro into the scene as well as the RP in general as it was me who made the first post. I think it is up to everybody else whether they'd like to add such a short intro to their initial posts (those who made one already anyway) and those who have not written anything yet may write one when they do. However, I'd leave that up to you really (all of this is assuming we keep the current storyline too)

Technically, one of the fastrunners may actually hang around the oasis at start if that is your wish. I would really suggest to have at least some time between the formation of the two groups and the fight at the oasis between those two groups so they'd at least develop some crude relationship however bad that might be (looks at Aquarius and Rinen) ...

Well, the big issue here is that if the wave just hit, I'll need to retract my post and wait this one out, as my character's backstory involves those who fled the disaster. I'll stand by and see what happens.
Yeah, your backstory was the one not fitting in with my initial idea :(

I'd really like to know if the tsunami just ended at the start of the RP or it has been about a week or less since it happened...
That's now up to discussion I guess. My assumption was it happened the day before we start :unsure:

----------------------
okay, here's everything I need your opinion on now:

keep current storyline/start at oasis/something else?
  • Sovereign: either way works
  • Ducky123: prefers current situation but is open to anything
when did the tsunami happen?
  • Ducky123: the previous day
How far away should the oasis be from our starting locations?
  • Ducky123: 1-2 weeks of travel towards the east, depending on starting point.
  • Sovereign: ??? 2-3 days from Big Water
Anything else? Let me know! I hope we can clear all uncertainties asap and I apologize for creating these uncertainties in the first place!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry if the oasis part became the confusing or problematic part. I thought it would be a natural, easy way to begin the story but it seems like it has created a lot of problems too. :sducky At this point, removing the oasis intros from our posts is still possible if people want to do so. However, that would require other ideas on how we eventually meet. At the point when we start (in the small groups), it seems believable for the tsunami to be a very recent event and if we keep the oasis idea, the tsunami could have happened a week or two before our common meeting. That would mean that there's about two weeks for us to learn to coexist in these small groups or just wander and struggle to find food in the broken coast in case of the fast runners. These are just my ideas, though.  :p

As for Hypnobrai's idea, it could actually be a really good idea if the characters who are not involved with our Gang immediately to write occasional posts about their whereabouts to build their characters slowly and to give us an idea about their motives and potential acquaintances.  :yes

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
This all sounds good to me, my character is very flexible as her woes started far to the south due to habitat loss, independent of the disaster. I am almost done writing her post, so I'll have her catch sight of the oasis at the end of it and cautiously start moving in that direction.

Actually, I don't think the tsunami would have had to be so recent in order for Aquarius' backstory to work. I think he was injured in a large wave caused by rocks falling into a lake (correct me if I'm wrong), which could easily be separate from the oceanic tsunami.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This seems fine to me, and I honestly don't mind waiting to post until we reach the appropriate point on the timeline. Goodness knows I'm doing enough writing as it stands right now  :lol

So if it's alright with you, I'll sit back until it's appropriate to introduce my character. I'll probably start my posts right at the point where the refugees of the tsunami reach the nesting grounds. Until then, let me know if you'd like me to play any miscellaneous characters or anything of that sort.