The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Seeking the aid of an audiophile.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Actually, the 202s are $35 MSRP. Newegg just tends to sell stuff cheaper.

And remember, I'm not an audiophile. My V150s ($13.89 on Newegg, $19.99 MSRP) do a pretty decent job on the road and in the home, in my view. I'm just looking for something that, in comparison, will do a great job. And circumaural ones, because I like them better for no real reason.

As for looking more, meh. Newegg usually has the best deals, and I'm lazy.

Looking here, you see that the 202s and XD300s are the only 5-star rated headphones under $50 (including shipping, so the 205s and 250s are out). So that's what it comes down to.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In the past I have found some fantastic headphones for $40 (Canadian, in a retail store) which I would probably still have if they didn't meet unfortunate accidents. :(

Some of those $40 units are close enough to my Sonys that if I wasn't concerned about mixing, I'd love the $40 units for listening, even at home in a quiet environment.  If you're willing to go in the $40 retail price range I'm sure you could find something you'd be very happy with. :yes

[EDIT] just saw your last post.
Actually, the 202s are $35 MSRP. Newegg just tends to sell stuff cheaper.
Makes sense.  Buying stuff online is generally cheaper as long as you can live with the shipping.  Newegg does seem to have some sweet deals :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
My last question for Schmucky: how do you listen to music?  What do you use?  If you use a portable dap player, what bitrates are you using and file type (mp3, wma, aac)?  If this is what you will be doing with these headphones over 75% of the time, it will change what type of headphones I'd recommend.

CD/Lossless - open-air style ($40 or higher) or closed style ($70 or higher)
MP3 (at 192kbps or higher) - open-air style ($30 or higher) or earbuds (higher than $15)
MP3 (at 160kbps or lower) - earbuds (any kind)
itunes Music Store AAC (128kbps) - earbuds (any kind)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
MP3 (at 192kbps or higher) - open-air style ($30 or higher) or earbuds (higher than $15)
In a perfect world where sound transfer in and out of the headphones is NOT a problem, I would agree.  I tend to consider my environment when making a descision about closed vs. open-air.  If you're riding in a car, chances are your fellow passengers don't want to hear your music throughout the entire ride, nor do you want to have to crank up your volume so you don't have to listen to your fellow passengers throughout the entire ride, which would end up disturbing the passengers again...and around we go. :p  This is where closed-air is nice.  In closed air, sound escaping the headphones isn't really a concern.  

Unless you need/demand the extra precision from open-air (unless you're pretty picky about creating a completely realistic sound experience, which isn't even possible on headphones due to their nature), I'd actually recommend closed-air.  The benefit of open air is a more natural sound stage for you.  Debatably, it's worth going open air for, but I'd say you need to consider the practicality of open air before you start worrying about setting up a bit more natural sound stage.  Closed-air, while it doesn't exactly simulate a live show sound, nor does it sound anything like listening on speakers, it creates a nice immersive sound because it helps eliminate outside distraction.

Again, personal preference based on circumstance.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ Exactly why I wrote "or earbuds". ;)  Nature of the headphones, you don't have to crank earbuds that loud either.  The reason I didn't recommend closed is because of price, and you only realistically want to spend a lot if you're going to stay with cd/lossless, not lossy.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I can't offer much more because I don't know how you encode audio (lossless, mp3, wma, aac, etc. with what settings).  Until I get that, and if that's what you do with all your audio, its hard to recommend phones.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
I use MP3s, at 192kbps for all of my stuff except comedy/spoken word (not necessary IMO) and (legally) downloaded music that's set at 128.

Anyway, I can't stand earbuds, and I'm pretty much set on an around-ear pair.

And again, more than $50 (AFTER shipping and tax) = nay-nay. Money is a big factor.

So really, unless you can find a good reason (or deal) to get something besides the 202s or 300s, any other options might as well not exist.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Alrighty then, my honest opinion is to stick with what you had before...Sony V150...whatever they were they'll do fine with a library of compressed music.  I don't think I'd try a Sennheiser...you wouldn't like listening to those 128kbps encodes on them.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Oct 22 2007 on  03:50 AM
you wouldn't like listening to those 128kbps encodes on them.
Well, if that's the only thing I won't like, it's not much of a problem, the 128s make up about 7% of my collection.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Ok well you asked for my opinion and I gave it.  One thing I will recommend is whatever you buy test them extensively and I'd suggest trying out the clips in the "Sound Test" at the top of this forum.  If you're going to spend hard earned money you might as well buy something that can decently play those clips.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Oct 23 2007 on  05:35 AM
Ok well you asked for my opinion and I gave it.
And for that, I thank you. Thanks also to everyone else who posted.

Based on the stuff dun been posted, I've decided on the 202s.(and because they're cheaper. lawl D:)

If they end up not good for my usual music, oh well. I'm sure I can still find use for them, and maybe get the 300s later.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Ok, sounds like a plan.  One more thing about Senns....they sound better with age, so as soon as you get them, don't put them on to listen to because you really should do a small burn-in period to free the drivers.  Pick a couple of your favorite albums and put the volume at a comfortable level for you (with the headphones on) and then turn it one notch higher.  Leave them for a couple of hours just playing music you like for a couple of hours.  Then come back and start listening. ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
they sound better with age, so as soon as you get them, don't put them on to listen to because you really should do a small burn-in period to free the drivers. Pick a couple of your favorite albums and put the volume at a comfortable level for you (with the headphones on) and then turn it one notch higher. Leave them for a couple of hours just playing music you like for a couple of hours. Then come back and start listening.
I agree, Petrie.  This is actually true with any new speakers/headphones.  Never a bad idea. B)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Drivers...? When I hear that, I think of programs to run hardware. Are those headphones connected to the computer via USB, or does drivers mean the inner working of the headphones?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Most headphones are dynamic-driven speakers...and they're not big but should be freed up because its likely from assembly line to packaging, the headphones have never played a single note of music.  If they've been on a shelf or in storage for a very long time, you need to free the speakers up from the state they've been in so they can move as music plays.

If you've ever cranked speakers up quite loud and actually watched them vibrate, the process is exactly the same and to get the parts moving so they can faithfully reproduce music.  Without the burn-in they're going to sound either a.) flat or b.) very bright and tinny with very little bass

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Alright, got my headphones today (well, yesterday), which is nice, because I ordered them the day before.

I left them playing, as was recommended, and then played some musics.

(NOTE: May not have a clue as to what I'm actually saying)

Immediately noticed was the clarity. With the 150s, everything was slightly distorted by the bass, and the vocals were often a little drowned out. The 202s have better balance, so I can hear every part of the song.

Here's how they stacked up against my regulars:

Metal(Metallica): Good enough that I'm not in any rush to replace them, but they lack the "power" I always felt from the heavier stuff. Needs moar bass, IMO. As I said before, though, I can now hear the vocals clearly.

Hip-hop(Beastie Boys): Again, the voices are clearer. Unfortunately, the sweet spot between clear vocals and bass-y beat here seems to be somewhere in between the 202s and 150s: The voices need to be a slightly lesser priority than the bass, but they're equal on the 202s. The 150s simply overdo the bass.

Video Game - Traditional, Classic(Sonic 3 & Knuckles): Well, there's not much outside of the music itself either way, but somehow, the 202s just seem to sound better.

Video Game - Traditional, Modern(Metroid Prime): A little bass action going on sometimes, but not so much that the 202s can't handle it. Just like the classics, it sounds better with the 202s for seemingly no reason whatsoever. :/

Video Game - Rock, Modern(Sonic Adventure): I might have just listed this as rock, but there's something definitively video game about the tracks. Anyway, these don't seem to be bass-heavy, but the 150s somehow overdid it. The 202s bring back some order to make them better.

Video Game - Orchestral, Modern(The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess): Clearer sound, no bass distortion, with classic acoustic instuments(this was the bonus music disk that included the game's orchestral tracks)… C'mon, obviously this was going to be better. This is some good s***, I tell y' what.

Orchestral(The Land Before Time): My goodness. And here I thought this was beautiful before. If I had any reason for second-guessing my purchase, I can't remember it after listening to this. The sound with the 150s was already great, but with the 202s, I was blown away. Absolutely fantastic.

I must say, I'm pretty damn satisfied with my new 'phones. Slightly dissappointed with the lack of heavy in my metal, and the "too far right, too far left" hip-hop miss, but everything else sounds great. Also, I haven't tried fiddling with the equalizer yet, so there's still a very small ray of hope.

(REMINDER: Lingo guesswork. Don't be suprised by any confusion you may be suffering.)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Video Game - Orchestral, Modern(The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess): Clearer sound, no bass distortion, with classic acoustic instuments(this was the bonus music disk that included the game's orchestral tracks)… C'mon, obviously this was going to be better. This is some good s***, I tell y' what.

Orchestral(The Land Before Time): My goodness. And here I thought this was beautiful before. If I had any reason for second-guessing my purchase, I can't remember it after listening to this. The sound with the 150s was already great, but with the 202s, I was blown away. Absolutely fantastic.

Senns will shine on stuff like this as I've said over and over. :)  I'm not surprised you were "blown away" by the difference.  Sounds like you've made a good purchase.  You can muck with an equalizer as you see fit if you think you want to hear more bass and less of what's being said in the song.  Your call.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Sorry to gravedig this topic, but it has suddenly become relevant again!

So about a month and a half ago, the left phone in my 202s stopped working. Can't tell you why, as I don't know myself. I suspect electricity of some form gone afoul.

Well, going back to my MDR 150s was kinda lame, and I guess I complained loud enough for someone to notice, because I got a new set of headphones for Christmas. And not just any set.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16826106328

Holy fartsicle! There's a conspiracy, someone's trying to get me to become an audiophile, I just know it!

I don't yet know how good they are, as I'm currently going through the burn-in period Petrie recommended. I did wear them, though, and they seem really comfortable (seem, because I don't yet know the effects of extended use)

Doubtful anyone's gonna read this post anytime soon, considering Christmas and all, but meh. More later, when I actually use them.