The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

These partitions

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Something that has been on my mind lately.

On my PC I have two partitions "ACER ( C )" and DATA ( D ).
Both of them are located on a 250 GB HDD.

Partitions C contains litteraly everything on this machine. Windows files, media, programs and you name it.
The only content on partition D is my ripped LBT movies 1-12, which takes up quite the memory. (43 GB to be exact)

Now, not that partition C is starting to become full, not at all. But partition D is just lying there doing nothing.
And I was thinking, what if I move all programs, media and documents to partition D, and let partition C just take care of ACER and Windows stuff?

A little bird whispered to me that peformance could increase, something I doubt.
Just wanted to know if someone could confirm this?
Who knows, maybe my little bird doesn't know what it's talking about.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can give it a try and see what happens.  It may be more convenient to have all you media on one partition also instead of 2, though ultimately it is up to you.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Performance would dramatically increase if it was two separate hard drives, but if it's a single hard drive it doesn't matter how you partition it or where you put the data.  After a HD gets filled past 50% you're going to see a dramatic speed decrease.  Whether it's on your main partition or otherwise, it doesn't matter.

If you're looking to increase your speeds, get a small crappy 120gb HD (7200rpm or faster is recommended.  If you can afford a 10,000rpm, get it).  Put windows and all the essentials for your computer to run properly on that drive.  Then use your existing drive (the one you're using now) to store everything you want.  Be advised though that if you have to format the main crappy little drive for any reason, you'll have to delete the programs that are installed on the backup drive.  There will be no file associations or shortcuts to your programs when you format.  You can make all of the shortcuts and file associations manually, but it's a nightmare.

My recommendation would be to install the programs on the backup drive in a folder called "Program Files" and also back up all of the install exe's and make ISO backups of any and all program disks you have and put them on the backup hard drive.  If you like using the default "My Documents", "My Pictures" etc folders, simply re-direct where they point to and point them to a folder on your backup hard drive.

Of course with all your data being arranged like this, you MUST have an external hard drive to back up the backup drive.  If you do this you'll notice a very high speed increase.  If you don't want to do this, then partitioning your HD won't make things any faster.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for the knowledge.
I suspected it wouldn't be that easy.

Will see what I do.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
With the speed of today's machines, I'm not sure its worth the hassle of re-backing up and re-associating everything for a miniscule speed increase.  Unless you encode video or play games, you probably won't even notice it in everyday tasks (email, internet browsing).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With the speed of today's machines, I'm not sure its worth the hassle of re-backing up and re-associating everything for a miniscule speed increase. Unless you encode video or play games, you probably won't even notice it in everyday tasks (email, internet browsing).

Oh it's worth it.  You can DEFINITELY tell the difference between a 5400rpm HD and a 7200rpm HD during everyday tasks.  The difference between 7200rpm and 10000rpm hard drives is a bit more difficult to tell unless you're photoshopping and such.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I thought Gustav was partitioning one drive, not multiple ones. :huh:

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
That is correct.

Strangely enough, my PC seems to run smoother with all Vista's eye candy online, rather than turning all of them all off. Now I run it with my own settings, using optimizer apps.  
So many things one doesn't need. Not me atleast.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That is correct.

Strangely enough, my PC

Please...a PC normally implies a desktop computer.  If you're going to ask for support with hardware, please specify whether the computer you're talking about is a laptop or a desktop.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lillefot,Jun 1 2009 on  08:30 AM
Strangely enough, my PC seems to run smoother with all Vista's eye candy online, rather than turning all of them all off. Now I run it with my own settings, using optimizer apps.  
Vista was probably enhanced to work quickly with all that stuff on since typical users of computers like the eye candy.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jun 1 2009 on  03:15 PM
Quote from: Lillefot,Jun 1 2009 on  08:30 AM
Vista was probably enhanced to work quickly with all that stuff on since typical users of computers like the eye candy.
Probably. Nevermind, it suits my needs for now. Just being curious since it has been acting slow for a couple of days. Whatever it was, it's done with now.
Did some research on my own, defraged, cleaned up and went into MSCONFIG to remove some autstarts and services... Seems to have done the trick.

Laptop, desktop, whatevertop. PC is an abbreviation for Personal Computer, right?
Well, there I go for reading nothing else than dictionaries!  :lol:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
PC is an abbreviation for Personal Computer yes, but when the non-techy people say "PC" they usually mean a desktop.

If you want to speed it up even more, disable the service called "Superfetch" and turn off drive indexing.  Both of these things waste drive rotations and give you little in return if you've got a decent computer.