The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Okay, now it's ready!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The new site for gamers is now ready!

Click on the link below and enjoy!

http://www.stuffforgamers.net/

I put nearly 2 weeks of work into it.  Due to scheduling issues, I'll be giving you guys the rest of today and most of tomorrow before I check back, giving you guys plenty of time to make suggestions before any possible major changes due to the suggestions.

Now remember, because I don't know special coding languages, I can't give my own complete custom job, (unless I go spending hundreds of dollars on a program that can do so) so big deal.  Still, I feel the design chosen will work best.

There's plenty on there to check out, so I'll see you guys later! :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Not too bad for your first site--basic, simple, nothing too confusing or flashy.  You get brownie points there.

The only thing I don't see--perhaps its just me--is the driving purpose of the site.  Why would someone want to visit your site?  I'm having a hard time defining purpose.  Whenever I made a site, I made sure there was a clear purpose.  The one I have online now - http://watershipper.googlepages.com has a very clear purpose: reviews of things involved with Watership Down, including film, televison, music, and books.  That's obvious.  Its not so clear what you want your site to be.  Maybe its still new and will grow.  That's ok.  But right now, that's what it does lack at first glance.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,May 29 2009 on  04:54 PM
Not too bad for your first site--basic, simple, nothing too confusing or flashy.  You get brownie points there.

The only thing I don't see--perhaps its just me--is the driving purpose of the site.  Why would someone want to visit your site?  I'm having a hard time defining purpose.  Whenever I made a site, I made sure there was a clear purpose.  The one I have online now - http://watershipper.googlepages.com has a very clear purpose: reviews of things involved with Watership Down, including film, televison, music, and books.  That's obvious.  Its not so clear what you want your site to be.  Maybe its still new and will grow.  That's ok.  But right now, that's what it does lack at first glance.
Well, I gave it some thought, and I've been at this all day.

Here's a new feature that I'm sure will give the site it's purpose.  Something I'm sure has never been done to such a grand scale for gaming.

http://www.stuffforgamers.net/old-vs-new.html

I will change it later to make it have downloadable files of the comparisons and so that viewers can read them at their leisure.

It will be that simple in the end.

For now, please check it out.  I'd be glad if you did. :)

Oh, and if you aren't interested already, my first comparison is Punch-Out!!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The question you need to ask yourself is "What do I want From This Website?"  Are you looking for popularity?  Why would someone search for your site on google?  And finally, is there room for expansion?  The problem with what you've done is you've invested money into a website that can't grow or expand.  You need to add features such as a forum and a place where people can upload and store things.  Go to www.filefront.com.  Do you seriously think you can compete with a site like that?  Even if you knew all the coding in the world, there's no way one person could do it all.  You need to build a team of very experienced coders and put up your own server.  Then and only then will you *maybe be even 1% close to being in competition to filefront and other related gaming sites.  I'm sorry but the truth hurts.  Unless you're willing to spend every moment of every day for YEARS and you have the drive and intelligence to do it, you're not going to get anything from this.  Not only do you need intelligence, you also need people and networking (as in social) skills.  I'm sorry but I just don't see it happening.  Honestly if you were going to do it you would have already done it by now.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jun 1 2009 on  10:30 PM
The question you need to ask yourself is "What do I want From This Website?"  Are you looking for popularity?  Why would someone search for your site on google?  And finally, is there room for expansion?  The problem with what you've done is you've invested money into a website that can't grow or expand.  You need to add features such as a forum and a place where people can upload and store things.  Go to www.filefront.com.  Do you seriously think you can compete with a site like that?  Even if you knew all the coding in the world, there's no way one person could do it all.  You need to build a team of very experienced coders and put up your own server.  Then and only then will you *maybe be even 1% close to being in competition to filefront and other related gaming sites.  I'm sorry but the truth hurts.  Unless you're willing to spend every moment of every day for YEARS and you have the drive and intelligence to do it, you're not going to get anything from this.  Not only do you need intelligence, you also need people and networking (as in social) skills.  I'm sorry but I just don't see it happening.  Honestly if you were going to do it you would have already done it by now.
A part of me is thinking of dropping the Store and going off with the affiliates there completely.  As long as I drop it completely by early August, I won't have to pay anything and I'll be fine.  So if nothing is bought by then, it's gone.

There really isn't much purpose with it.  I guess you could call it a TEST SITE before I go public with my upcoming LBT one.  You know, something I really want others to look at and make it grand.  I've got quite a bit in mind for it.

So if it really doesn't end up being a big thing, paying $8.99 a year for it (got it for that price just because it's .net) for the next 5 years isn't such a big deal to me in the end.

When it comes down to it, my main LBT site will be the pinnacle of perfection for me. :D

I can't compete with something as big as Filefront by myself, but it'll be nice if anyone visits. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
For small sites, free is good.  You don't have to worry about "selling" anything to make back the money to keep the site online.  I have a feeling that keeping the site at free status (minus the $9 domain name purchase) is your best bet.

If you're working on a LBT site, take a look at what Austin has put up.  He's done a really good job of it.  If its still around, even take a look at my old old LBT site that used to be the parent site to this forum.  That should give a couple of ideas of how a site can be done for success.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dropped the whole store early.  Decided to just forget it and let the site itself grow as it sees fit.

Of course, I'll be advertising it at any place I can.  I won't care about how many visitors I get.  It'll just be a site that's out there and others MIGHT want to check.

Who knows?  If the Old vs. New part becomes something big, I might actually do something with it. :)

Until then, no more store. -_-

Well, see ya later!