The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How can one work (well) in a group?

Saft · 6 · 1004

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Bit of a stupid question and I realize that..but I'm looking for some sort of advice now that I have email confirmation of the project group study that is going on this term.  I am meeting the people in the group (of four) tomorrow but I am rather worried that something will go wrong.  I don't want to give off the impression that I'm some sort of unhelpful weird person that will result in them being annoyed.  I want to do well with this project, I also see this as an opportunity to broaden out more into connecting, although how i will be doing this I haven't really given much thought into.  But my question is, how does one work well in a group? Are there any key points that I should take into regard in working with others?

Thank you.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was very recently in the same situation, Saft. I have always soloed my school projects because I can concentrate better without other people talking and trying to do their part in front of me. For a course called Freshman Foundations, we had to work in a group of five to complete a project. At first, I was totally lost and felt overwhelmed. This totally went against my grain. However, it wasn’t as bad as I’d feared it would be.

First off, we elected a group leader, one who would organize all that needed to be done and who would get each person doing a part. Our topic was recycling. I forget the exact assignments, but it basically went like this: The leader decided that we needed to cover how to recycle, why we should recycle, what happens if we don’t recycle, and so forth. The leader then asked for a volunteer for each part, and we each picked which part we wanted to do.

Then, we each worked on our own part by ourselves, then combined the pieces when we met up again. Don’t think of it as working in a group. That can just sound scary for people like us, those who struggle a bit more in social situations. Think of it as a group organizing solo parts. Don’t look at the subject like one big topic that you all have to work on, but instead only focus on one part and do it as a single person. At first, the general topic of recycling overwhelmed me. Then I got my one, small part and it was relatively simple.

If I were you, I would just get together with whoever the leader is, and get one part to focus on and do it on your own. Looking at a whole pie can seem like quite a thing to tackle, but if you cut it into pieces and share them with others, you can get a lot done. Don’t see it as a group eating a whole pie, see it as you eating one piece of it. Then, the big task becomes small for you. Hm, I hope this advice wasn’t utterly stupid. You should know by now that advice isn’t my strongpoint. I can only try my best.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I usually like to work alone on a project instead of in a group; that way, I know it gets completed on time.  However, we must all work in groups at some point in time.  That said, here re few tips that hve helped me out:

*Contribute to the group.  Discuss your ideas and opinions on the subject matter openly.  There might be some great points brought up that they never thought about.

*Don't take anything personal.  If the group or any group member disagrees with an idea or opinion of yours, it's normally not a personal attack.  Also, be open to others' ideas and don't have a "It's my way or the highway!" attitude about the project (not that I think you're that type :)).

*Lastly, ensure all project duties are evenly distributed among group members to ensure everyone pulls their end, and meet on a regular basis to ensure everyone is keeping up their end.  

That's about all I have for now.  Good luck :goodluck.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you, both of you. I appreciate the advice that you've taken time to give me.

As such, I owe you some sort of an update in regards to groups.  We met on Monday and I found out quite quickly that I do know the people in the group...not well obviously but I'm familiar with them and they seem nice (indeed, they've actually taken time to talk to me since the meeting.)  Anyway, I didn't input much into the meeting that we had, listened only, but we have elected a 'leader' and we have choosen our parts in the project, I'm the against the idea that the Vergina tomb being Philip's.  But they seem to be rather happy to work on this project and will actually do the work. So while we will be working in a group..we are also working on our own too.  

Anyway, I rather feel a bit of a fool for worrying about it too much but if there are any further queries on my half I hope it is okay if I post them here to ask?

Thank you again, it's appreciated deeply.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I don't like working in a group that much (maybe because I'm a maverick), but if I have to work in a group in school, I don't complain and try to do my best to contribute to the group work, because nothing else matters.

I'm currently working on a three months project with 5 other group members at school. There are some advantages and disadvantages. Bad thing is that many of my group members may be good at school, but they are a bit lazy so they wag school lessons more often than other people in my class. This is what makes them a bit unreliable. An advantage of the team work is that it is often entertaining and one person doesn't have to do all the work (because the work is separated for each person, logically).

My advice: Just be friendly, open-minded and "funny". It will improve the working atmosphere if you laugh sometimes with your group members. :D

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Anyway, I rather feel a bit of a fool for worrying about it too much but if there are any further queries on my half I hope it is okay if I post them here to ask?
Oh, there is nothing to feel foolish about. I was very worried when I was assigned my group project. If anything is important enough to you to take the time to post, then it is a valid point for consideration. I wouldn’t worry about what others may think of your threads, not because what others think does not matter, but because on this forum, we take everything that is important to people to heart, so I don’t believe for an instant that anyone found anything foolish about this thread.

And if you have more queries about things concern you, you are more than welcome to share them to your heart’s content. No one will ever complain about you wanting advice or suggestions about anything. If you made a thread asking what you think you should have for breakfast in the morning, I’m sure even then you’d get a good deal of replies. So don’t worry about others and don’t feel shy when something’s on your mind. The people of this forum will hear you out with anything.