The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Any one intrested in a little colabaration project

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Apr 9 2007 on  01:45 PM
Simply amazing what you can do with a computer these days. :)  I'm surprised you got all that done in so little time.
Well so little when you think in terms of days its only 3 or 4 days time frame. corse ive spent upwards of well uh 6 to 7 hours a day hehe oddly the body went crazy fast over all i do have suprisingly little time in it compaired to some of my models. The helmet i did for rubies took me on the order of 90 hours. Found my old log file from a plug in for max that tells how many hours a given user has in a project. at any rate got another update going in to another post heh.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
well he grew some arms :)

The arms are currently the same shape and dont have a elbow join but with a bone i should not need a joint. At the moment they have the pivot in the shoulder so i can pose them that much.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
heheh chomper tends bar!

Ok not really i just put the block there to hide the fact he has no legs yet i didnt want to be distracted by that when i was checking my work to this point. As you can see i added fingures to his arms to make his hand i simply flattened the end of his arm and widened it just a tiny bit.

I want hounest comments at this point (ignore his current cheeks and the weird shadow on his nose i may have to remake the entire snout cause of that flaw.) Basically other than what i pointed out i want to know if any thing looks off or odd.
At some point in a model you really need a fresh set of eyes to point weirdness out as you start to fail to see various thing. It is sort of like the painting a light blue wall snow white after a while all you see is white and end up with this big light blue splotch heh.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
How accurate and 3-D can the program you're using get?  Are we to expect a blocky picture or will his body take on a more rounded shape once you've got all the major body parts complete?  I think we have to know what to expect out of the program before we can really give constructive criticism...for all I know I could tell you to do something the program cannot render.  :blink:

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Apr 10 2007 on  07:56 AM
How accurate and 3-D can the program you're using get?  Are we to expect a blocky picture or will his body take on a more rounded shape once you've got all the major body parts complete?  I think we have to know what to expect out of the program before we can really give constructive criticism...for all I know I could tell you to do something the program cannot render.  :blink:
more accurate that my comp can currently handle. The body etc has had no smoothign done at all yet. Also thes are mor draft type renders. He will look some oen polygonal untill i can find some one to make a texture for me for him as well i just suck at textureing. As is hes colored in sections any shadow shadeing etc is just because of litghing. At the moment hes about 6500 to 7500 polys when mesh smoothed at this point he would be 65k to 70k maybe even 100k polys. Soon as i get done with my morning sesion on him ill do a quick and dirty mesh smooth along with a more properly set up render.

At any rate max 2.5 can get in to crazy high poly counts and take it just fine. Till i can get this model to my main comp and worked ona  bit there i wotn even get close to the finished counts and detail potential.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
Woa, novaflare...this is certainly the best of your work that I've seen so far. :) I'm not sure how much proper criticism I could give since I'm horrible with most everything computer-made and wouldn't know where to start. :huh: Looking great though, it's interesting to see the process thus far and I'm really curious to see how this evolves. :yes

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Akiko,Apr 10 2007 on  01:18 PM
Woa, novaflare...this is certainly the best of your work that I've seen so far. :) I'm not sure how much proper criticism I could give since I'm horrible with most everything computer-made and wouldn't know where to start. :huh: Looking great though, it's interesting to see the process thus far and I'm really curious to see how this evolves. :yes
Im working on his legs today mostly. Removed the old cheeks from his jaws goign to rework that tomorow and i got rid of the odd shadow and the sharp line on his nose. Also did soem minor reworking on his arms seperated in to 2 parts for arm one for hand added a small sphere for elbow (mostly to keep the hole from opening up when his arms are strait also did same for his wrist. Then i set up groups for his arms so i can rotate entire arm at shoulder or his lower arm and hand or just his hand. I could at this point do a simple animation of a wave or some such.

On the agenda for secound sesion today finish legs and create feet set up pivots in each part group them etc. Tomorow ill start the day off rounding out his torso giving him a belly buldge and work on defining his chest a bit. After that its mostly clean up and deviding polys to get more verts to work with to smooth him out. Some skewing to get rid of the current mostly perfect symetry so he takes on a more natural apearance. Then im gona need to find some one to create a proper texturemap for him. I may be able to get away with simplly cutting up various screen caps of him kacie sent and the one action sent me.

Not the perfect option but if i cant find a textureing person then it will do as a close 2nd best.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
only update for to day prob but as you can see ive refined his body and started on his legs. Other things to note ive redone his ssnout a bit as well as his head. Added some bulk to his arms in general as they were to peg like. comments welcome as always

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Very nice job. Chomper is getting ever better and better. I'm very curious for the final Chomper and all the possibilities the program you are using is offering for him.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 11 2007 on  11:39 AM
Very nice job. Chomper is getting ever better and better. I'm very curious for the final Chomper and all the possibilities the program you are using is offering for him.
With plugins i can do pretty nearly any thing with max 2.5 up to some complex animations (my skills in animation dont exist yet though). Animation is something i want to learn by doing with chomper.

Now ill need to at some point import in to max 8.0 when i get main comp up and running then there is no limits

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: novaflare,Apr 11 2007 on  11:26 AM
just chomper in wireframe
just did a qoute on my post to make iteasyer to add the images of chomper in wireframe hehe

So for those who might wonder what he looks like under the surface here is is

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
just a update to explain the lack of new updates to the chomper renders. Got a new job yesterday so all my time has been spent working on him in the mornings and has cut down on time to make renders of the progres.

Things ive added or changed
Finally got the ey problem figured out. His eyes have a shape more like the ones in my forum acatard here instead of the really horrid round spheres heh. I still need to blend them in to the head though. Also redid the head a bit moving verts split it down the middle and reatached the 2 halfs. Added benifit besides the smoothign it out a bit it also skewed the symetry enough to looks more natural. If i had made a before and after render of the head youd see a diffrence but not know where what or how big and that was the goal. So all in all friday the 13th turned out to be my lucky day lol

I am off work tomorow so ill have more time to spend in max and will have some new renders up tomorow. I plan on making his feet tomorow maybe some blending and general smoothing out of the eyes gettign them to be less angular and more curved up to the eye peak. Once i got his feet inplace ill render front and side veiws as well as perspective.

Things to do after feet and eyes.

I need to make him some new and more proper hands his current are not what i want they just dont look right and never will only option remove and replace.
After that ill need to wait to do things like make him animateable vs just poseable. My laptop wont even handle mxax 4.0 so will need to get him on the main comp and loaded in to max 8. At this point ill need to redo some work on him as hes going to get a bit messed up when i load him in to max 8. Cant be helped and undestood that it would happen from day one. Thats just how things go when working with programs like 3d max. I mostly expect some areas where faces are flipped or are rendering as faeted body parts not where they should be etc. That will be about 8 hours of work to correct.     It will how ever be worth it. Max 8 can do some fantastic things as per rendering and animation that max 2.5 just can not do.

There object were done in max 8.0 in 2005 by me (i have them for sale there but if one of you has a use for them let me know and ill email em to you) http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm...blExternal=TRUE

Looks carefully at the black blades on the mace and the brass rings around them and note the refectiongs of them in each other as well as the wood handles reflection.

That is not somethign you can do in early max versions. Ill be able to make chompers eyes slightly glossy or give his skin a more textured look in the render useing bump mapping.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ok im going nuts here chompers head is all wrong and i need to remake it. Unfortunatly screen shots with any angle to them at all are not helping. What im gona need to do his head is strait on shots from right or left, top down, and strait on from frount and back. They can be ruff sketches or screen shots or full color art.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
unfortunatly i think that chomper will be put on hold untill i can get him moved over to my main computer and my main computer is back in shape for running things like max etc. Simply put the laptop at this point just can not handle the model. The model is just to high in poly count and even old max 2.5 is choking on this junker. Max 2.5 just does not have the tools that i need to do what i need to do. I cant for example get the accuracy i need to position verts right. I have a couple more things i want to try but i think it will end up being to much for this laptop to handle.

I could probably do it on the main comp even in its current state but that would require me to go off line untill the project was done or try to change every thing over when i want to go online.

Ill still need various views of chomper Best would be large scale sketches (basically line drawings) with his mouth open eyes are something that will be very important. The way im thinking of doing this is to place the various views in the sketches as view port bgs then moving verts around to match the outline.

Views needed front on, top down, side Ither side will work. Back i sort of need but can live with out perspective would be a big huge bonus.