The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Restart problem...

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm plain fed up with this machine every time I turn around. Now it has a problem sometimes wherein it will not kick into restart mode after finishing the shutdown procedure. I believe it happens after the shutdown procedure since the mouse stops moving (I know this is most likely the case, since I once had an older machine with a power button that had to be pushed to turn it off, and XP doesn't display one of those fancy "it's okay to turn this thing off now" screens, since most computers nowadays can turn themselves off...), and after the mouse stops moving, nothing. Normally, it would only take a split second of course, and the system should kick into restart mode. But, sometimes it doesn't. Oddly enough, I haven't had it happen yet when I've chosen "Shut Down," only "Restart." Doggon this is driving me crazy! Having to hold the power button to force it to shut off is NOT good for hard drives! (Another reason why I dislike them...) I don't want to have to feel like I need to check my whole hard drive (corrupted file concerns) after every occurance of this crazy bug, since that takes two hours!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
That's odd that you can't get the computer to restart....trojan or malware maybe?

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It only happens sometimes, Adam.... Not all the time. I've done scans with AVG and Malwarebytes... Nothing..

EDIT: The funny thing is, it doesn't seem to have happened with the original hard drive that came with this laptop.... Slight hardware incompatibility, perhaps?
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If the HD fits into the laptop, it's compatible.  If it happens with this new HD and not the old one, I'd suspect the HD itself.  Try reinstalling windows.  If it still restarts, it's the HD.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay Austin, thanks.  That's what I thought it was. :p Looks like I'll be using Hibernate mode from here on out, and deleting its configuration and restarting normally from now on... :p