The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Overheating?

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello folks.

I have an issue that I'd like to gather information about, and maybe find a solution.
Lately, my laptop computer has started to shut down without any warning.
It doesn't happen when I launch/do/whatever something special, it just happens.
Sometimes the whole thing freezes. Leaving me no other option than to press and hold the power button. And sometimes, like today, the bloody things just gives the middle finger and shuts down without any warning at all. It is as if the power went out.
I've noticed one thing though, and that is that the laptop is intensivly hot at these times.
Not that I burn myself, but hoter that it should be I am sure.

I suspect overheating, but then I must ask myself why?
I don't play games, or run massive graphic programs often.
I mainly surf the web, play music, chat and other daily stuff. Short words, I don't think I'm pushing it to some sort of limit.

Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83 GHz 667 MHz FSB 2MB L2 cache processor
Nvidia GeForce 8400 M GS (up to 1024MB)
4GB DDR2 RAM
250 GB HDD (FAR from full)

I run Vista HP 32 bit.

Is this known to anyone of you?
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like it could be overheating.  Though it could be other things also.  I think most of today's pc's do shut down when they get above a certain temperature.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My brother has a similar problem with his laptop. If the laptop feels unusually hot when it shuts down, it's likely due to overheating. Laptops can overheat more quickly than desktops. My suggestion would be to get a special kind of pack designed to keep laptops cool. My sister bought one. I can't remember the name of it. But I believe it sucks out the hot air and blows in cool air. It seems to work; Kylie's laptop remained cool after a length of time of her using it. Another thing you could do is get new fans for the laptop. Perhaps the ones in your laptop right now aren't doing an efficient enough of a job to keep the laptop cool enough.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Once again, Dark beat me to the punch..

Yeah, if this has only been happening lately, your fans probably broke. If that is the case, those are going to need replacing.

Edit: Try downloading and installing this, max it out, see if it crashes while you monitor your laptops temperature. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Also, open your laptop up and use compressed air to clean all the dust out.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It could be the fan.  If that's the case I would recommend NOT USING your laptop until it gets fixed.  Sure the computer automatically turns off to prevent damage to your processor, but if you keep making it do that it could damage your hard drive and your proessor.

It could also be your hard drive.  Sometimes hard drives in laptops overheat because they're going out.  Have you owned your computer for over a year?  If so the hard drive could be going out.  Do the following steps to see if this is a problem with your hard drive or if it's a problem with your fan/processor:

Right click on "computer" in the start menu and go to "properties".  Click "advanced system settings" to the right of the screen.  Go to the "advanced" tab and then click "settings" under the "startup and recovery" area (It'll be the lowest settings button in the window).  Uncheck the "automatically restart" box then click "ok" on the two windows that popped up.  Now next time it happens it won't automatically restart unless it IS an overheating problem.

If you get a blue screen, write down the STOP error code and what it says in the very beginning.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. Seems like fan is to blame.
I'll run a backup tomorrow and see what I can do.

Kacie: Yeah, I've been thinking about buying one of those coolers to. They go for a small money here.

Austin: Yeah, it's about 1 year and 4 months old. But if you say that my processor is in trouble, I suggest I shall look more into it. I don't think I dare taking this apart myself though. It's the only computer I got, ruining it would suck for a long time. :unsure:

I've run a recovery on this thing ONCE due to this problem. Why it happened then and not sooner/later, I don't know. I didn't lost alot (think it was nothing), but it gave me a minor heart failure.

One thing I have been doing is that I've placed a book under the laptop, keeping it slighty in air (without covering the exhaust vent). It helps. Doesn't feel warm at all.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
These things should be taken seriously.  I've had several clients who've bought brand new Dell laptops (horrible machines :x ) and taken them to me only a few months after they bought them because they were experiencing overheating problems.  Some people bring them in right away and I'm able to charge them $1.29 for a fan and $34 for installation.....but some wait till their computers won't turn on at all anymore and I either have to replace the processor (which normally costs them $140 altogether), or I have to replace the motherboard AND the processor (which costs anywhere from $280-$500).  By that time it's better to just buy a new one. :bang

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
My Dell gets warm doing pretty much the basics sometimes.  When its 80F outside, its pretty warm for a computer to be running anyway.  I bought a wire basket meant to hold papers, flipped the thing upside down and put my laptop on top to assist in airflow underneath the machine.  Laptops (brand notwithstanding) do not have good airflow so they all get warm at some time.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you have a laptop, a stand like this is a MUST have item:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook...s/3064&cl=us,en

I wouldn't even use a laptop without one.  I've never encountered a laptop that doesn't work with this (though the 24" custom Dell laptop I worked on didn't fit on it very well).  It also elevates the keyboard and makes it MUCH easier to type on.  I increase my typing speed 15-25wpm when I use one of these stands. :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I have a wireless keyboard I sit on my lap. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have a wireless keyboard I sit on my lap. biggrin.gif

Well I guess that works too. :smile

But I can't imagine having my laptop so far away I need a wireless keyboard.  I wouldn't be able to see the screen.  I'm only about 4 feet away from my 21.5" monitor and everything's so small I can barely see it.  I can't believe I used to run a 15" monitor from 7 feet away.