The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
What the topic says people!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. To be released sometime next week. (PC, XBOX, PS3)

I've been keeping my eyes on this game for a while, and still haven't made up my mind whether to buy it or not. The trailer looks promising, and so does the gameplay.
However, I haven't played any of the prequels, so I don't have any experience with the franchise and don't know what to expect. (maybe that's a reason itself, get it and find out. :p)
What I like about the trailer and articles about the game is the setting in a not too distant future in a "cyber/modern" world (and the whole "Human augmentation" concept and how humankind have created their own evolution. Well, the rich ones anyway, hence why the poor is pissed.)
Story sounds quite intriguing, including the above, and the transition in and out of third person contra first person looks kinda cool. Another thing to mention about the gameplay is the freedom to choose how you play. Attack straight on, stealth, a little bit of both or hacking. Kinda like Crysis.
Protagonist Adam Jensen gives a bad ass impression. :p

I'm still torn. The game looks interesting but I wonder if it's worth the money, being a game franchise that I'm unfamiliar with.

Spill the beans folks, what's your thoughts and are YOU getting this game?
And if so, spice things up by explain why. :)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I've been interested in this game for a long time as well. I think it's the freedom; being able to choose exactly how you want to play always gives games a lot of replayability. Also I think it has branching storylines, which is always nice :D If I wasn't saving my money for Gears of War 3, I would definitely buy it.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I've never really paid my attention to the Deus Ex Series despite how much praise it got. That's mainly coz I haven't really been much of a PC gamer until recently so I don't know much about it. Still, the recent spate of trailers released for the Human Revolution have grabbed my interest. I really liked the "3 ways to play" trailer (found it on Steam but I'm sure it's on YT somewhere). My impressions is that it is a faster paced Metal Gear Solid. It almost reflects the sneaking setup of Splinter Cell Conviction in terms of gameplay. But, the sneaking mechanics seem to be backed up with Crysis 2's idea of having tactical options available (excuse the pun :p) and choosing how you would like to tackle the situation. 1. Pick the loudest, biggest explosion inducing gun possible and go to town (Aggressive). 2. Go in softly-softly only taking out essential sentries and using vents, cover and stealth tactics to arrive unnoticed (Stealth). Or 3. Utilise dropped equipment, sniper nests, computer hacks and re-programmed gun placements to turn the tide and advance to the goal that way (Adaptive).

The game mechanics seem pretty smart but I guess that's all for discussion once I get my hands on it. Sadly, that's gonna have to be on the wishlist for a while since finances are again at rock bottom. Still, a purchase I plan to make at some stage. If it's got my interest thus far, I doubt I'll be forgetting it in a hurry. ;)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
lillefot this is a good time to get a Game Fly account so you can try out the franchise and it's really cheap to. I think it's 9.95 or 14.94 for the gold account per month and you can rent as many games as you want. So you can get the whole franchise of this game.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just a reminder to you guys: Deus Ex pretty much started that stuff for shooters. Do it your way gameplay, nonlethal playthrough, detailed storyline depending on your choices, RPG elements, etc. I recommend you give the first game a spin.

IMO I'll be buying this game. Alex looks more like a "I'm gonna kill everyone" badass, something that doesn't match very well with JC's cool and collected attitude that showed he wasn't extremely violent by nature.  I'm wondering if the factions and philosophical elements will remain in the third game, as compared to DX 2 which let you play as a freelance mercenary and there was literally no development to change the way you thought along the gameplay. DX1 was like that: It familiarized the "bad guys" and the "good guys" with you, then turned everything upside down just for you to decide along the path. Lillefot, the story things you mentioned are a common themes for DX. Rich VS poor (through the use of an engineered virus), Dystopian future, augmentations, etc.

As long as they make the story strong enough to merge with the gameplay and actually challenge the player's mindsets and beliefs, it will be a pure deus ex game

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well it if looks like it;s worth dropping 63.74 on than I will get it or I might get it.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I already have this game preordered  :D It's 12. So it's release is today in America  :celebrate I'm looking forward to playing this game as soon as it arrives. I'm new to the whole concept of more freedom ingame as I'm new to Next Gen. I just never thought it worth the money. Until I got my PS3 and TR:U  :)
Excited for the release  :yes

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hm, seems that the majority is praising this game.
So yeah, I think I'm gonna buy it. I need something new to entertain me and I don't play that many FPS shooters. (though this uses TPS as well)
Might have to wait though, for like Littlefoot1616, my wallet's life bar is at red.    :rolleyes:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not sure if I'll buy it. I had never played any of those games.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I haven't either. So not sure if I will get it.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I make it easy for you. If you like any game by Bethesda, you'll love DX3

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Eh not good enough for me to drop that kind of money. I need to see ratings and reviews for me to waste that kind of money.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Eh not good enough for me to drop that kind of money. I need to see ratings and reviews for me to waste that kind of money.

As much as I like to make my own mind up on things, I do like to see what reviewers say about new releases. Gamespot and IGN are my 2 main sources I go to and they rated them pretty well (between 8.5 and 9 outta 10 me thinks). Their gripes with the game were the usual stuff: occasional frame rate dips, screen tearing, animation clipping etc etc. More specifically they mentioned the game's AI can be a bit dim at times i.e. you can violently takedown an enemy 3 feet from another patrolling bad guy (literally slam him into things or the floor making a ton of noise) and they'll completely ignore you. The other thing they whinged about was tedious boss fights. Given the game's "choose how to handle a situation" mechanics, the fact that they lock you into a mano y mano bullet volleying contest kills the concept of choice. Aside from that, the flaws and nit-picks of the game didn't distract from the meat of the experience and can be overlooked. Oh yeah, and they moaned about long loading times between gameplay sequences.

Having never played a Deus Ex game ever, I'm pretty keen to try this one out. Just as soon as that money tree in my garden starts flowering :p Failing that, there's always rentals.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I'll have to wait another WHILE before I can buy this, as I was told I'll be recieving my paycheck NEXT week instead of this one

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Not going to play the game, but man do I want the promotional sniper rifle for Team Fortress 2. That thing looks awesome, and its specs are even better. B)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Bought it. Waiting for it to appear in my mailbox tomorrow. :P:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/22/deus-ex-...olution-review/
Interesting article, fun to read.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I couldn't wait for my copy so I went and bought it at the mall (last copy) I am blown away!  :wow I never knew you could have that much control in a game. I'm used to playing games that have one straight path through to the end game but there is so much freedom! I've been playing since yesterday, taking breaks every now and then, played a total of 14 hours, and I don't even feel very far in the game. Never have I played a game with such realism (well as far as realistic as a game set in the future can go). The graphics are amazing! The gameplay is amazing! Albeit I'm mediocre when it comes to first person shooter games like this. This is going to take a while for me to complete but that's great. Haven't played a lengthy game in a while. I give this game 5 stars so far  :)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I finally got around to playing this game (and buying it for $30) and I gotta say, I really like it. The gameplay blows the first away, but the storyline is a little more tight and predictable, and just not as special as the first. This game is WAY more easier to play than the first when it comes to playing nonlethal and avoiding enemies. Adam Jenson isn't as bad as I thought he would be compared to JC, but I think his girlfriend is too weak of a plot device as compared to JC's struggle with the world around him. The game still covers philosophy, it's just not as evident and frequent as it was in the original. I also love the argument sections of the game. They aren't robotic, they change each time you initiate them and the characters have their own viewpoints. It's just a pleasure to just own a guy in an intellectual discussion and get something really neat out of it. Currently I'm playing hard mode, and been playing nonlethal, although in my next playthrough I'm just gonna go Rambo.