The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

This should be released on Blu-ray

Spiketail

• Ruby
    • View Profile
If Don Bluth and Gary Goldman were to do a commentary for this movie, it would be no-holds-barred. They have a tendency to criticise their own work in their other commentaries, so I think they would be more than happy to explain the struggles they faced while making this film. Plus, as some of you already know, Spielberg and Lucas do not record (or possibly even listen to) audio commentaries, so there is a chance of Bluth and Goldman criticizing Spielberg and Lucas's more childlike vision of the film.

Yes, dino-doug, maybe they will include those pics in a promotional materials gallery. Speaking of galleries, maybe some behind-the-scenes photos could be shared as well...

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
It would be nice if this was on blue-ray huh?  

I personally don't want to get blu-ray players. Sure I could get it and still play my DVDs, but I don't see the point buying this expensive player if my DVD player gives me good image on the screen and I enjoy just my DVDs. It still works very well.

Also, now that we have downloads and can watch our stuff on on the computer and convert it to MP3s, I don't see the reason for blu-rays other then make them like test drives for something that's going to be better.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If they had to release it on Blue-ray they should at least release it on DVD as well, after all Blue-Ray is almost pointless compared to DVD. Maybe they could release a limited edition on VHS and Laserdisc  :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I do like the concept of VHS over an optical type media like DVD or blu-ray, but the better picture of DVD is what sold me there.  But I really do hate disks...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Actually, George Lucas does record commentaries. He has one for each Star Wars film.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Spiketail

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My mistake. Though I do wonder what Spielberg has against commentaries...

Was there a making-of special made during the movie's release? Maybe that could go on the Blu-Ray.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Spiketail,Aug 14 2010 on  08:59 AM
My mistake. Though I do wonder what Spielberg has against commentaries...

Was there a making-of special made during the movie's release? Maybe that could go on the Blu-Ray.
yeah there's something like that on the laserdisc

dino-doug

• Ruby
    • View Profile
What was the making-of featurette on the laserdisc like? What else was on it? Details, please! (Oh, and I edited my first post; I took out the widescreen feature, since it was apparently originally full screen; I geuss those of us with widescreen TVs have to watch the stretchy version, or watch it with the black bars on the side, which is just weird looking. And I added more people for the "Back To The Land Before Time" featurette.)

dino-doug

• Ruby
    • View Profile
You know what other animated franchise should have a Blu-ray/DVD re-release? An American Tail and Fievel Goes West! In 2011, it will be AAT's 25th anniversary, and FGW's 20th! Here's what the features could be:

An American Tail
Features:
-Full Screen (1.33:1) (Yep, no widescreen for this one, neither!)
-5.1 surround sound
-Isolated James Horner score
-"Somewhere Out There" music video featuring Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram
-Trailers
-Publicity gallery (for posters, merchandise, etc.)
-storyboards, art galleries, etc
-Games
(I don't believe there was a making of featurette or deleted scenes... If so, they should be included too)

Fievel Goes West
Features:
-Widescreen (1.85:1) (Yes, this one was actually filmed in widescreen! And it has yet to be released on DVD here in the U.S. I read it was in Australia)
-5.1 Surround Sound
-isolated James Horner score
-"Dreams To Dream" music video featuring Linda Ronstadt
-Trailers
-Publicity gallery
-Art and storboard gallery
-Games
-And if there was a making of featurette and deleted scenes, they should be included