The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Venatione Venatus

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm stunned. Probably the overload of action :DD

There's nothing to critizise but a bunch of things to praise :yes You're so talented, I can't wait to see how this battle will go on and who's going to win it (I have a guess but shhhhhhhhhh)

I'm more worried that Ducky dies alongside Spike  :boohoo
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks David!

And here's the next chapter!  :wow I seriously hope its alright.  :( I read through it thoroughly because I wanted to get it absolutely perfect...I think I've got it as well as I can, but if you think its not so, good please tell me. The writing style that is... :cry

Chapter Twelve: A True Friend and Guardian

Chomper was exhausted. The battle had drained him of his strength, but fortunately, it seemed that Pyron was more than capable of dealing with Yuti himself. They were now both leaping over some of the luminescent rocks in the corner, scratching and kicking and clawing and biting… It was a fairly evenly matched battle, but that’s only because Chomper had no idea what Yuti was thinking…

Yuti aimed a kick at Pyron, who ducked and brought his whole body around for a counter. Yuti leapt backwards to avoid it as she had been doing all this time – deliberately leading him away from Chomper.

“It’s a calculated risk,” she thought. “But there seems to be only one guarantee to this fight – this one will continue to defend the other. That’s my advantage…”

She raised her eyes to the cave ceiling and saw what she was looking for - stone teeth – the most sinisterly wicked ones you could ever imagine, with serrated, sharp edges that could slice through anyone’s skin…

Pyron charged at her. She kicked out again and this time she made connection, her foot catching Pyron in the chin and sending him cascading into another luminescent rock. She then wrenched a murderous looking stone tooth out from the ceiling. She could feel the power of it in her hand, its sharpness and evil almost whispering to her. Just one stab…

However, she didn’t head towards Pyron, who was struggling to get to his feet, but Chomper, who was weak-willed and struggling to stand at all.

Holding it like a javelin, she sprinted full pelt towards him.

“Here goes…” she thought.

Chomper had seen everything, and was frozen to the spot, powerless to do anything due to his exhaustion as death approached him ever-faster. He couldn’t believe it – it had finally come to this…

Pyron finally stood up and saw what was going on. His eyes widened in abject terror.

“No…” he thought desperately. “Not Chomper too…”

Images were going through his head, of his parents being crushed to death by the rockslide, and his powerlessness in that situation – it had burned, engulfing his whole heart in fiery grief. And he had been very close to losing someone else that same day. His sister. But in that situation he hadn’t been powerless – he had been able to do something, and therefore had done it. Never again would he lose another. Not today at least, when he could do something…

He was dashing towards Yuti before he could stop himself. This was all part of her plan – he knew what she was thinking, but if he hadn’t done anything then, he never would have forgiven himself…sinister plan or not, he still had to do something…

“Hang on Chomper!” he yelled, aiming at Yuti with a powerful flying kick…

Fastbiters didn’t get their name for nothing. They were fast, and could bite. Nycha quickly avoided the teeth and claws of her foe, another fastbiter, and, balanced expertly on her toes, considered her options.

Well, she was a fastbiter too. She had the same range of options. Her enemy fastbiter charged at her again, and Nycha took a timed leap directly over him, causing him to blunder in an attempt to change direction. Nycha however, was faster, and twisted round first, sinking her claws into her rival’s back, sending him thudding to the ground in a pool of his own blood where passed out from the pain.

There was only one enemy Sharptooth left.

Lini was jaw-to-jaw with Torq as they wrestled, their toe-claws sinking into the cave-floor and leaving large cracks in their wake. Nycha didn’t hesitate and immediately leapt onto the dark sharptooth’s back, clawing and biting.

Torq howled in rage, and proptly grabbed her by her head-feathers and flung her to the ground with a bone-rattling thud.

“END OF THE LINE PEST!” he snarled, but before he could do anything, Lini had rammed into him again, sending him head-long into the cave wall. There was an unpleasant thud and his eyes glazed over, before he sank back down to the stone floor, unconscious.

“We did it!” Lini crowed, helping Nycha to her feet and hugging her tightly.

“Yeah…” Nycha replied, a small smile creeping onto her face as she wiped a trickle of blood from it. “Yeah, we did…”

Lini smiled back.

“You see, you can always find something to put a smile on her face,” she said. “You just need to look more often.”

“I know…” Nycha sighed. “Listen…Lini…I’m sorry I’ve ever seemed aggressive towards any of you. I just…feel the need to be on my guard constantly. I don’t suppose Pyron’s ever told you what happened to us?”

Lini shook her head.

Nycha nodded. “Well, it’s a long story,” she sighed. “But I feel the weight of it every day – what I did, what I could have avoided, but didn’t…” she sniffed and began to well up.
“I just feel that everything’s my fault – and blaming other people…as bad as it sounds…it makes me feel better…”

Lini walked forward and hugged her again.

“Come now,” she said, as the tears continued to flow silently down Nycha’s face. “In some cases, it really doesn’t matter who’s to blame. I don’t think you could be…and even if you were, you shouldn’t dwell on the past. Just accept you made a mistake and move on!”

Lini bit her lip.

“I’ve done many things in the past that I regret,” she continued slowly. “But I’m a new person now. As it hurts me to think it, I don’t dwell on the past. And you shouldn’t either. Look forward to the new life you have now with the pack, because we’re your family now.”

Nycha nodded, smiled and wiped her eyes as Lini released her.

“Thanks…yeah…you’re right.” She took a deep breath. “You’re right. It still might take me a while to get used to Chomper, but I’ll try.”

“I suppose that’s all we can ask,” Lini beamed. “Now…let’s see how Seizon’s getting on.”

Seizon was getting on fantastically.

Even as Nott staggered to his feet, Seizon, spurred by the light skywater, was charging him again, bringing his claws round to strike his foe in the face, before twisting round and slashing across his back.

“Too slow!” Seizon teased, as Nott attempted to bite him, missed, and got a kick in the face instead. He staggered backwards, shaking his head as though he’d been awoken from a deep sleep.

“Seizon…” he muttered. “Come on…give me a break!”

“Yeah,” Seizon replied, a mad grin taking over his face. He flexed his arms. “Your legs!”

He pelted forward again, performing a mighty slashing uppercut that sent the rival dinosaur careering onto his back.

“And now the finale!” Seizon declared jubilantly.

“Uh…Seizon?” Al queried. “Shouldn’t you just give it a rest now? You’ve easily won.”

“Yeah…” Saureen agreed, looking slightly ill. “Surely you should…?”

“No way!” Seizon yelled back. “He was set to kill us all – time he had a taste of his own medicine!”

He charged, swinging his ferocious claws as he went.

“Do you think he’s actually going to try and kill him?” Saureen asked, aghast.

“I dunno…” Al frowned. “I mean – we’ve been knocking his cronies off the edge…probably shouldn’t have gotten carried away – but they had a chance of survival…this seems…deliberate…”

Seizon was just about to sink his claws into Nott when a small, feathery something literally dropped out of nowhere in front of him. He skidded to a halt.

“What…?”

The something was a sharpbeak, who now peered up at Seizon good naturedly.

“Hello Seizon,” he said.

Seizon growled.

“Who are you?” he demanded. “And how do you know my name?”

“My name’s Ichy,” the sharpbeak replied. “And I work with your stepdad.”

Seizon’s expression changed instantly.

“Xal?” he said. “What does he want…?”

“Wait a minute Seizon,” Al interrupted, as he and Saureen walked over to see what issue was. “How can you believe him if you’ve never seen him before?”

Seizon shrugged.

“Who else could he be working for?” And without waiting for an answer he turned back to Ichy.

“So…what news from Xal?”

“Well,” Ichy explained. “He told me to tell you to return to the Fanged Forest at once!”

Seizon’s face fell.

“What? Is that all? That’s what we’re doing anyway!”

“Oh really?” Saureen remarked coldly. “And what about your little detour, eh?”

“Oh yeah…” Seizon muttered. “Buuuuut…we weren’t following a direct order then. Besides, now the Cave Network is his for the taking!”

Nott groaned.

“Oh, this is great!” Ichy said brightly. “Well, gather the pack and head home.”

“Has Xal got any news about the status of the Great Valley?” Al suddenly asked.

“Why do you want to know?” Saureen asked.

“Well…Seizon said Xal’s revolution would involve the Valley,” Al replied. “I’m merely interested…”

“No news as of yet,” Ichy told him. “But that’s my next assignment.” He grinned broadly as he took off. “Because he knows he can trust me more than that blind old groundscraper…oh, in other news, he’s amassed an army. Once you return and the Ambassador tells us everything we need to know, we’ll be ready for the revolution…where is he anyway?”

“Oh snap!” Seizon looked wildly around. “I completely forgot about Chomper and Pyron! Umm…”

He suddenly noticed Lini and Nycha clamber up through the hole that led into the caves.

“Is the fight over already?” Nycha asked a little disappointedly, looking around.

“Yeah…” Seizon nodded. “But…have either of you seen Chomper or Pyron down there?”

“No…” Lini replied.

“Ah…well, we’ve got to find them!” Seizon declared. “It’s vitally important that we leave this place straight away! The revolution is upon us!”

“Ferox…”

“Mother…?”

Ferox got to his feet unsteadily when his mother approached him, an urgent look on her face.

“We need to get of here,” she said.

“Huh?” Ferox was confused. “Out of…where?”

“Out of the Fanged Forest,” Tyra replied. “Xal is dangerous.”

“What do you…?”

“He’s got a whole army of thugs, Ferox!” Tyra was ferociously adamant. “That’s what he’s using them for… thuggery! Besides, Saureen’s mission for him involved her entering the Great Valley!”

Ferox’s expression changed at once.

“WHAT?” he yelled, and Tyra quickly told him to quieten.

“Her and Seizon’s mission involved entering the Great Valley and retrieving another Sharptooth from inside it – kidnap, essentially - he’s only their age,” she then explained.

Ferox frowned.

“In…the Valley?”

“Yes,” Tyra replied. “The one that has made the so-called ëconnection.’”

Ferox’s eyes widened considerably.

“I wasn’t aware he even lived in the Valley…this is curious…Xal never told me about that this.”

“Exactly,” Tyra continued. “He’s a dangerous, manipulative liar, and he has you eating right out of his claws. I don’t what he plans to do next, but judging by how things are going now, the use of kids as weapons, hired thugs and the kidnapping of the kid that rumours have been circulating about recently, it can’t be anything good…”

Ferox nodded.

“Yes…” he said slowly. “Yes…I do believe you’re right. Well, first thing’s first, we need to get to Saureen!”

“Quite,” Tyra agreed. “And we need to go now!”

The two set off at a jog, but alas, their path was suddenly blocked by two Piercers.

“Going somewhere?” snarled a cold voice behind them. They turned to see Xal striding towards them, cold fury etched in every part of his face, flanked by a maliciously grinning Gigas and more Piercers.

“I trusted you, Xal,” growled Ferox. “I can’t believe you’re using my daughter like this…without even telling me!”

“The kids were safer out of the way of the spiked longneck, Ferox!” Xal snapped back.

“Maybe,” Ferox agreed. “But I thought they were going to find a sanctuary, not go charging into the Valley, the realm of Ulciscor!”

“They made it out safely,” Xal snapped. “But you two aren’t going anywhere.”

“No disconnected individual has the right to command anyone!” Tyra declared. She turned to her son.

“Ferox…find her!”

Ferox, so desperate to find his daughter, didn’t even twig onto to what his mother was saying or planning to do. He just sprinted off, leaving the forest that had been his home for almost all his life.

The two nearest Piercers attempted to intercept him, but Tyra got their first and slammed her heavy body into the carnivores. One Piercer was rammed into the ground by her hard skull, and she swiped the other with her tail, sending into collision with a nearby tree. By this time, Ferox was out of sight.

“If I may offer my opinion Xal?” Gigas suddenly spoke. “We cannot afford to send a search party after him now.”

“I know…” Xal spat, his eyes pulsating with fury. “But this one is no longer amusing me…kill her now!”

Tyra just smiled. She knew she would irk him enough for him to give this command.
“Consider this, Xal!” she said. “Downfalls occur due to actions – if you’re actions weren’t sane enough to begin with, you will become a victim of your own!”

She had said what she wanted, which is why she stood still as Gigas and the Piercer’s savagely attacked her, buying Ferox time to be out of their range. Soon, the old tyrannosaur’s blood was leaking across the forest floor, and the Piercers were feasting. It appeared cannibalism was part of this new world too, if necessary.

And murder.

Later, Xal was pacing around the forest, coming to terms with the loss of one of his most loyal and unwavering supporters. Still, it was a necessary loss – one that would secure his victory and prevent any weakness within his forces.

A Piercer began to approach him.

“Yes?” Xal asked briskly.

“I feel I should report sir,” the Piercer replied. “That we’ve spied a lone Sharptooth heading this way.”

“If its Ferox,” Xal snapped. “I want him incapacitated and brought to me!”

“But it’s not,” the Piercer replied. “I just felt I should inform you sir – Redclaw’s heading for the Fanged Forest.”

Yesterday had been so dramatic within the Valley - there was a great shift in power and murder on their soil. Now however, it was relatively calm. The dinosaurs of the Valley were working in their segregated herds, not daring to speak out, or complain, or discuss with each other anything less mundane than the weather. They could feel the icy gaze of the Bludgeoners upon them, knew how their tails were itching to swing down upon them if they so much as whispered any promise of treachery…

News had quickly spread amongst the four-footers of how Tria had ended it with Topps, and it was somehow spreading towards the two-footers as well. When asked why, all she replied was, ëNowadays, it would never work.’

Many of the Valley now didn’t see much of Ulciscor. He mostly stayed at the Rock Circle or the Thundering Falls, pacing and no doubt dreaming up military strategy in his head. And, under surveillance from his loyal Bludgeoners, he kept his parents close to him as well.

Grandpa and Grandma Longneck had said nothing to each other since the death of Kosh, or to anyone else for that matter. It seemed that old spark had completely been drained from them since their son had made them his prisoners. He kept making strange remarks to them as he paced, almost daring them to say something. And one day, when Ulciscor had left them for a drink, and the Bludgeoners had accompanied him, Grandpa turned to his wife.

“Arianna…” he muttered. “I’m sorry…but we’ve got to do this.”

Arianna (as she was known) turned her head towards her husband slowly.

“I don’t know what you mean Aster…” she muttered.

Aster was trembling, but his eyes were determined.

“I remember when he first hatched,” he said croakily, obviously beating around the bush.

“What about…?”

“With the first three falling victim to nest-raiders and predators,” Aster continued, not looking at his wife. “We’d thought we’d struck lucky with this one – he became a very strong and independent young longneck. We were overcome with love for him. Where did we go wrong?”

“Aster,” Arianna said seriously. “We are not to blame. Sometimes, things change an individual’s mind pattern-”

“I think we did go wrong!” Aster insisted, tears now falling freely from his eyes and onto the ground. “But now is the time…now, for the sake of us and our sanity and the entire dinosaur world – we put our mistake right.” He turned to Arianna.

“We kill him. Now.”

Arianna just stared at him.

“What…?”

“We’ve got to…”

“No we haven’t!” Arianna insisted, placing her neck against his to stop him charging blindly at his son.

“Come to your senses! His Bludgeoners will slaughter us before we even make it to him, and even then, we’re no match for him! Besides…since when did stooping to his level become a reasonable thing to do?”

Aster went limp against Arianna’s form and the tears continued to flow.

“I’m sorry…” he whispered. “But…we just got it so wrong…how could this happen?”

“I think you’re forgetting dear,” Arianna whispered, resting her head against his. “Where we also went so right. Our youngest – our only daughter, a heroine through and through. She brought into this world and protected our wonderful grandson. Even to this day, I feel her spirit is still shining down on all of us.”

She gazed up into the sky and the Bright Circle, still shimmering brightly, like she knew Saura would be, now in a better place.

“And Littlefoot has inherited that from her. As strange as it sounds, I think he will be the one to save us all.”

“But he’s not here…” Aster mumbled glumly.

“I know,” Arianna replied. “But with Ulciscor here, anywhere is better.”

Littlefoot gulped as the water below churned and frothed.

“Anywhere is better than here…” he muttered, as Kai’s tail lowered him onto another column. He had to carefully avoid the spikes.

Just as Littlefoot thought he had settled on this stone column, he suddenly realised a problem.

“Err…Kai?” he said.

“Yes, kid?” Kai turned back to him.

“I don’t know if I can get across here…”

It was true – the chasm with the water was extremely wide, and all of the columns were widely spaced out. They clearly hadn’t thought out their crossing correctly.

Kai considered briefly.

“We’ll have to think of something else…” he said.

He turned back to where Spike and Ducky were ready to clamber on.

“Now…” he thought. “Now…surely…is the time!”

He lowered his head. Spike clambered on.

He began to move his head back…

It seemed to happen in slow motion.

Kai had ëaccidentally’ moved his head back too far, causing Spike to slide down towards the spikes on his neck. As he corkscrewed to avoid it, he ended up slipping off his ride entirely, and began falling into the fastwater…

“SPIKE, DUCKY!!!!!” came four terrified screams. Kai just watched them fall, a mad glint in his eye.

“Yes!” he crowed internally. “It’s finally over…”

But then, to the surprise of everyone, Spike caught with his mouth at a vine sticking out from the walls of the chasm before he hit the fast water. Ducky managed to grip on tight and was prevented from falling too.

“Hang on you two!” Littlefoot yelled at them. He was relieved they hadn’t fallen in – but they still had to work out a way to rescue them.

“Please hurry!” Ducky whimpered, as Spike grunted into the vine.

“Damn…” Kai thought. “Now what?”

But he had no more time to think about this when there was a mighty rumble of water and the level began to rise. The tide was coming in far away at the Big Water, but the fastwater was getting dramatically affected by it. Soon, even the mighty stone pillars would crumble away, as nature reclaimed its territory…

Chomper, dazed and confused, sat up to see what had happened.

He saw Yuti lying, even more dazed, a few feet away. Pyron’s kick had sent her flying into one of the crystals and the perimeter, knocking her head against it. At least that would slow her down.

But the bump to her head was the worst of her injuries. There was no sign of the stone tooth.
So…?

Chomper turned his head to the side. What he saw made his heart freeze in his chest, creating an uncomfortable cold sensation that soon swept over his entire body, paralysing him with fear. No…no, he could not be seeing this.

Pyron was standing up, shoulder’s slightly hunched, head slightly lowered, eyes half-closed, as though concentrating. There was a slight frown on his face. The reason? Well, it seemed he had the stone tooth.

It had impaled him in the chest.

“PYRON!!” Chomper yelled, forgetting his exhaustion completley, jumping to his feet and running over to his friend.

Pyron looked at him and smiled.

“Hey, Chomper,” he croaked. “Looks like I-”

The rest of his words were stemmed as a torrent of blood erupted out of his mouth and splattered onto the cave floor. He swayed slightly.

Chomper grabbed his shoulders tightly, holding him upright as he swayed. Yuti was getting to her feet, no longer charging at them, just observing.

“It’s admirable,” she thought. “That he would go this far to protect his companion.”
Yuti had seen it all happen before her eyes. She had been on the verge of stabbing Chomper when Pyron had charged full-pelt at her and kicked her hard across the cave. At the same time, he had taken the full brunt of Yuti’s stab – straight into the chest…which, in the long run, had been her plan all along. Always take out the strongest one first…

[Turn on some sad music now!]

Pyron gazed at Chomper, sadness in his eyes.

“Sorry…” he muttered.

Chomper shook his head fiercely.

“Don’t…!” he gulped. “Please…don’t…apologise…”

Pyron just smiled sadly back.

“Why…?” Chomper began to sob, the tears dripping onto the blood on Pyron’s chest. “Why did you do it? You knew it was a trap…”

“Yes…” Pyron agreed. “Yes I did. But I guess I felt that you had so much more to give to this world yet. I’ve…” he smiled weakly, tears welling up in his own eyes now. “Served my purpose.”

“Don’t talk like that!” Chomper sobbed, holding Pyron close to him. “You’re…you’re my best friend! I can’t do this without you!”

Pyron’s eyes widened at that.

“Your best?” he whispered. “And what happened to all those in the Great Valley?”

Chomper had no answer to that. The tears just continued to fall.
“Chomper…” Pyron muttered. “Please…take this stone tooth out of my chest.”

“But…”

“Chomper…” Pyron gazed up at him, pure and honest intent on his face. “Please…do it.”

Chomper obeyed, even though he had to close his eyes as he did so. There was a horrible grating sound of harsh stone and flesh and organs, and Pyron gave a horrible strangled cough as it was wrenched out, more blood dribbling down his chin.

Chomper gave a hearty sob again and once more held Pyron close to him.

“I’m so glad you said that actually…” Pyron whispered, his bleeding mouth smiling and his eyes swimming with tears. “Because…if I’m going to be completely honest Chomper…you’re my best friend too…”

Chomper tried to smile, but the signs of shock and grief were still running down his face.

“Before I met you,” Pyron murmured. “I was almost as lost as my sister. I worried for her constantly, and felt as though I had no future. You opened my eyes to new possibilities of a family life amongst the pack and so many others. There was so much more you could give me…I just had to see it. From your perspective and how it worked for everyone. It gave me so much hope, and…” Real tears were now falling down his face.
“…joy.”

“Yeah…” Chomper sniffed. “But what good is that now? If you go now…”

“That’s true,” Pyron agreed. “But at least I’ll die in the knowledge that I went protecting its memory and its originator. That’s what’s important here.”

Chomper just stared at him and his satisfied smile with the tear-stained eyes.

Then Pyron’s legs gave way. He tottered backwards, and Chomper was left holding onto him as he lay like a graceful dancer. But all he felt was terror as he looked down into that sadly smiling fast-biter’s face.

“Chomper…” Pyron whispered. “Please…don’t let your dream die. It’s still possible, I know…a world where leaf-eaters and sharpteeth can live in harmony. And I know you’re the one who can make it happen. Only you, with your wonderful values and dreams. Oh, and please look after my sister. She needs guidance. Goodbye Chomper, and thank you for being…my brother…”

And then his head leaned backwards, his mouth and eyes remaining half-open, but seeing and moving no longer.

Chomper took a moment to stare down at the empty shell that just minutes before had been the bravest Sharptooth he had ever known, before gently placing two claws on his eyelids and slowly closing them, giving Pyron the appearance of sleep. Then, he broke down. The poor young Sharptooth collapsed on top of the fastbiter’s chest, sobbing uncontrollably, the salty tears mixing in with the gentle trickle of blood.

Yuti still watched him from her standing point, wondering whether she had done the right thing. Had she been too hasty?

Chomper’s initial sobs soon began to die down, but he remained face-down upon his companion’s chest, his breathing still throaty and hoarse.

Yuti eventually spoke up.

“Is this a first for you?” she asked gently. Chomper didn’t even comprehend the fact that she was, for once in her life, talking gently. He had suddenly remembered…
Yuti…

Yuti, not waiting for a response from Chomper, continued.

“Is this first time a friend of yours has fallen victim to another Sharptooth during a turf war? Or a joint hunt? It’s a very common feature of a sharptooth’s life I’m afraid…”

Chomper still said nothing. It was almost as though he had stopped breathing.

“It happened to me,” Yuti continued, not even aware of what was going through the other sharptooth’s mind. “I was very young when my parents were killed right in front of me by a rival gang of sharpteeth, a few days after a titanic earthshake split the land in two. That’s the way of life…”

“Shut up.”

Chomper had spoken, not in a way that particularly conveyed any emotion. It was just a short, snappish order. But he did not look up or say anything more, and so Yuti, ignoring the danger, continued.

“And that’s how you continue through it,” she explained. “Life…change what you can, accept what you can’t. You’ll soon move from such times and people who-”

“SHUT UP!!”

Yuti fell silent. This time, the order had been hollered. And there was real emotion behind it now. One full of grief, sorrow, anger, and…
…revenge.

“You…know…nothing…” Chomper seethed, now beginning to rise to his feet, blood pounding in his ears. Yuti could still see tears falling in a cascade like sky-water onto the stone floor and on Pyron’s body, but there was more behind it now…

“You know nothing about Pyron…” Chomper hissed. “You don’t know how amazing and brave he was…what he did for me is…incomparable. Impossible to forget. You hardly knew him…but you still killed him…you killed him when you didn’t even have to. And I can never forget that either. So now…”

Chomper looked up, and Yuti had to take a step back. Gone was the young scrawny Sharptooth who seemed to have no fight in him whatsoever. Gone was the slightly gawky grin. That had all been replaced by a Chomper with burning red eyes fuelled with rage and blood and anger, eyes that made you want to run and hide. And from his throat came a low, terrifying, guttural growl, one that made its infamy from twoclaws across the world. This is what Chomper was, no matter how hard he tried to escape it. A Sharptooth. And making a Sharptooth furious is a very dangerous thing to do.

“SO NOW!!!!” Chomper roared at the top of his lungs. “NOW…I’M GOING TO KILL YOU TOO!!!”

~0~

:cry  :cry
In sincerely hope there are a few tears going round here, otherwise I haven't done my job!  :unsure:
Ah, poor Pyron!!! In light of what you have just read, let's take a few moments to reflect.
We haven't known him for that long, and nor has Chomper, as it happens. What is it, about three days??? And yet they somehow already have this connection. Incredible how it works sometimes, isn't it?
Just so you know, I didn't just kill off Pyron because he was voted as being the most sorely missed character.  :p I always knew Pyron would be written out, the first stage in a series of changes for the pack and how it connects to Xal and the upcoming war. And look how its changed Chomper!  :wow That sort of fury doesn't come lightly. Because I knew he was doomed when I first created him, I developed the character of Pyron to be an incredible and loving brother-like individual, so it was more of a blow when he died, destroying Chomper's innocence and whatnot in this fic. He's only a kid! Not an old one like Kosh was...and this was really the purpose of the Cave Network storyline - to have Pyron open up to Chomper and then die...
I seriously hope I haven't put most of you off this fic by writing him out!!  :blink: Pyron was fantastic, but there's still so much more to see in this fic, concerning Ulciscor, Xal, what's happening with the gang, what will happen next with the pack, etc! So stay tuned!
One more question - who absolutely hates Yuti now?  :lol

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
NOOOOOOO! PYRON!!!!  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry

I hate you for that, Dosu! And I hate Yuti for that too! GET HER CHOMPER! :anger

Grandpa, don't suggest killing, otherwise I'll get suspicious of where your evil son got it from. Liked the names you picked for them, by the way. :yes

So much death and depression in this chapter... now I'm even more depressed than I was before. :o Tyra's gone, too. I'm really hating Xal now, too.

NO! DUCKY! SPIKE! AAHHHHHHH! *Goes crazy and hits head on the wall 10000 times* :lol

In other words: a very action packed and emotional chapter, Dosu. I get more jealous of your writing skills every day. You're so gooood...

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
*flails madly* NOOOOOO-OOOOO-ooooooo!! *bangs keyboard, sniffles due to horrible cold*

You.. now I have to draw Pyron! You've destroyed me, Dosuuuuu!

*deep breath, calms flailing*
Well, I can definitely say this chappie was elaborately constructed. In light of the fact that you KNEW you were going to kill Pyron off (I swear I'm this close to finishing Yuti off meself! Outta my way, Chomper!!), this passage was an entertaining and heart-wrenching read, much more than Kosh's death for sure.
Couple things I noticed and liked: Seizon's fight going fantastically, and the names you chose for the grandparents: Aster and Arianna (I know someone named Arianna as well, lol)
one other thing. You used to word 'cascading' to describe Pyron being thrown against a stone column or one of the crystals. Careening would probably be a better choice as cascading has to do most often with liquid.

A great read, YOU EVIL THING!! :smile
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
You used to word 'cascading' to describe Pyron being thrown against a stone column or one of the crystals. Careening would probably be a better choice as cascading has to do most often with liquid.

Yeah, you're probably right... :slap  :lol I'll remember that for next time!

Well, glad you 'enjoyed?' it.  :p The names for Grandma and Grandpa just sort of came to me, as name's sometimes do...Kai, for example, who everyone wants to kill!  :lol
Though not quite as much as Yuti. Do I detect a few tears?

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Lol I did enjoy it! It was a fast-paced and emotional read :)
... and if this is the beginning of it, then I cannot help but wonder who else you'll kill off :o

No tears yet... I'll keep you posted :smile
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know how to express the feelings I had when I read this chapter :blink:

You made me crying a bit about Pyron's death and I was smiling at the same time because I liked the chapter so much. You're capable to do everything... The action scenes are incredibly tense and make me bursting of excitement, the emotional scenes are... awesome (in lack of finding a word fitting better) and everything else is simply awesome as well.
VV is the first story that succeeded in making me cry! I'm sure that, in five years, VV will be still under the top 10 fics of the GoF! Atm, it's undefeated no. 1   :exactly

Now my comments, feedback etc. to single parts:

I never thought the headline would mean what it means... Pyron as a true friend and guardian... I should think about headlines instead of just reading them and switching off my thoughts :P:

Yuti was right that Pyron would defend Chomper with everything he has.. Pyron's thinking is really well-placed :)

WHOO!!! Lini and Nycha made it as well :celebrate

“I just feel that everything’s my fault – and blaming other people…as bad as it sounds…it makes me feel better…”
:lol
Nycha finally came out of her shell. I see she makes progress but how will she take Pyron's death? Will she blame Chomper for that? :unsure: Boy, I see myself crying at the next chapter again already :angel

Go Seizon!
So we see Ichy again... not the best moment to appear though.. Seizon's about to decrease earth's population by one further individual after all...
“Oh really?” Saureen remarked coldly. “And what about your little detour, eh?”
^^
Only problem's: Where are Chomper and Pyron!

RIP Tyra :cry At least Ferox made it!
Redclaw's heading towards the Fanged Forests?!? Well, that's going to be interesting!

I see you gave Grandma and Grandpa name's as well. Well, I personally find it a little confusing simply because I'm so much used to Grandma & Grandpa or the names somerandomfangirl gave them (Thunderfoot & Tosa). Overall, you wrote their dialogue very well though ;)

“Anywhere is better than here…
If only you'd know, Littlefoot...
Well, Kai, nice try :nyah
The situations though sounds as if it's gonna be worse than it already is  :unsure:

So here we are now. The scene that will be recognized as the most emotional, most dramatical, most tragic, saddest, most heart-breaking and simply BEST death scene! It probably outweighs the famous death of Littlefoot's Mother :exactly
I don't know how you managed to write this without crying your heart out yourself, Toby. And I don't know why it is so well-done but it is and that is what counts!
Pyron saves Chomper's life with his sacrificial action and dies. Pyron acts like a true hero, modest and awaiting his death with dignity. Chomper is still believing Pyron could make it although it was obvious that he wouldn't.
I was surprised when Chomper announced that Pyron's his best friend (never tell that Littlefoot!) and Pyron returning the favor was simply amazing. How you described Pyron getting weaker and weaker and having a last talk with Chomper at the same time is simply wowofying (yes, I invent words :smile).
The point where Chomper collapses is probably the climax of the whole scene. It was the point where my eyes started watering and I'm sure I'm not the only one  :lol
But Yuti's still there, too... Chomper's emotions and reactions to Yuti's (quite unexpected) speech were true, expected and so much understandable...
The last four lines... they make me so tense and excited about the next chapter as well as everything else :lol:

I LOVE your story Toby! It's a pleasure to read and review it!

K.E.E.P  I.T  U.P!!!

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, thank you!  :lol: And so now we have the next chapter...enjoy...

Chapter Thirteen: Blood and Water

Talk about a role reversal. Yuti could only stare in mingled horror and surprise as Chomper’s rage took over him completely. What had happened to Chomper, the so-called friendly Sharptooth? Yuti didn’t know of this reputation of course – is she had, she probably would never have believed what she was seeing.

Chomper let out a loud, penetrating roar, one that seemed to glean off the crystals around the side of Headache Cave and rattle Yuti’s skull – in an ironic twist of fate, she was the one with the headache now.

Chomper was now charging full pelt at her, the fire in his eyes still burning brightly. It was incredible. Just a moment ago he had been exhausted to the point of collapse. Andrenalin, sorrow and rage were really something. And Yuti wasn’t sure she could fight them off.

Chomper collided with her, sending her careering into the air and landing with a thud on the ground. Her head smacked into one of the crystals and her vision was momentarily blurred as wet blood began to trickle from the back her head…

“Wait Chomper!” she cried out in her fear. “Please…” she grappled around for something Pyron had said before he had passed away. “Think about your dream…you can’t succeed in it if you go around killing…”
But Chomper only seemed to take this as a taunt. It rang through his ears like her continuously laughing at him and only served to fuel his anger more. Growling furiously, he charged her again, kicking her across the cave again, until she scrambled to her feet and backed up against the wall.

“Consider this for Pyron!” Chomper snarled. “Because he also had a dream! One to be whole again…and you took it away from him…”

He charged for a third time, his jaws opened wide.

Then he sunk his teeth in.

Yuti screamed in pain as she felt Chomper’s powerful serrated teeth tear into her arm, piercing through flesh and sinew. The blood began to cascade in a torrent onto the cave floor, a dark red puddle that began to grow.

And then it happened, a moment so unbelievably out of Chomper’s character, he still cannot believe he actually did it. With a great wrench of his neck, Yuti let out a horrific scream, the sort that sent chills shooting up your spine as you could imagine the torment the screamer was going through…and then Chomper retreated from her, her severed hand held tightly in his mouth, still splattering blood onto the floor, though not nearly to the extent of Yuti’s stump of a forearm.

She gave a hair-raising screech and her knees gave way, causing her to collapse into a sobbing heap on the floor. Chomper’s eyes widened as the whole reality of the situation hit him. He, Chomper, had just torn someone’s hand off…

Chomper stopped dead in his tracks and promptly dropped the severed body part onto the ground. The sound of the flesh hitting the stone was unnerving, as was the flecks of blood that still gathered around Chomper’s lips.

“Uhh…uh…” Chomper was at a complete loss for what to say. What could he say? He was replaying the moment in this head…what was he thinking?? What would Pyron have said to what he had just done…?

He staggered backwards slightly as the tears began to form in his eyes, but he blinked furiously to stop them forming. He wasn’t going to cry in front of this murderess…

Except the murderess was now looking at him with a combination of abject terror and pleading. Not surprising as Chomper had just shown exactly what he was capable of. With a sickened feeling, she realised it could have just as easily been her head…

She gazed at her still bleeding arm stump, a horrible disfigurement, which only served to make her feel even sicker. She would never look upon those same fingers again, which gave her a horrific sense of loss…though considering the loss she had just given this one, she sort of deserved it.

“I’m…I…” Chomper swallowed. As much as he hated to admit it, her blood tasted quite nice. SHARPTOOTH BLOOD TASTED NICE??? What was he, some sort of cannibal? Shaking this horrific thought off, he spoke again…

“Yuti…sorry…”
“Sorry???” Yuti practically screamed at him. “No, Chomper…don’t be…” her eyes were swimming with tears. “I’m the one who took something away from you…you have every right to be angry…”

“But tearing your hand off??” Chomper swallowed again.

“Whatever works…” Yuti breathed. “It wasn’t even life for a life. Seriously…I would have been ready for it…”

“What…?”

“I mean it Chomper!” Yuti howled. Her unwavering gaze was fixed onto Chomper’s eyes – fearful, but as red as the blood around his mouth. Yuti drew a shuddering breath.

“What have I made of myself?” she demanded of him, fresh tears sliding down her face and mixing with the blood that gathered around her. “I just serve as Nott’s professional thug, beating, torturing and killing victims for my own pleasure and his…” she gulped. “I tell you – Pyron wasn’t my first victim.”

Chomper gazed back at the still, vibrantly orange body. A flame of anger ignited inside him again, but it was then almost extinguished by a torrent of grief and guilt. After all Pyron had done for him, his first action following his death was to maim someone…but if he felt guilty for that…he turned back to Yuti. He could not imagine the torment she was going through.

Yuti shook her head.

“What’s done is done,” she said. “So, Chomper – please, finish it. I know I was begging you to spare me earlier, but I’ve come to my senses now. Finish the job Chomper – kill me. Please.”

Chomper swallowed, his mind ticking over. He gazed down at the severed hand he had dropped to the floor. The fingers lay limp and dead – the muscles were no longer spasming.

“Well?” Yuti demanded. “Didn’t you say you were going to kill me anyway?”

Yes, she could argue that, Chomper thought. He had indeed, moments before, screamed out his intentions to slaughter her – an eye for an eye in that sense. But now he had calmed down slightly, that anger had been replaced by grief and he was certain he couldn’t bring himself to kill anyone. Maybe he was still different to other sharpteeth after all…

“If you won’t do it,” Yuti insisted. “Then I’ll have to find a way of doing it myse-”

“No!” Chomper suddenly yelled, surprising both Yuti and himself. He didn’t even know why he was defending her – he utterly loathed her. She had killed Pyron! But still – seeing Pyron lie in his arms like that, his life running out as quickly as his blood, had made Chomper realise how fragile life was, and it was something many would have to hold on to at all costs.

Chomper knelt down beside her.

“I’ve just seen one death today…” he said forcefully, trying his best to stop tears from forming again. “I don’t want another one. Just leave Nott, Yuti – leave your previous life behind. Find something to-”
That was as far as he got. He was suddenly aware of something cold and wet gathering near his ankles and tail, this time not blood. He looked down – and gasped.

Water was beginning to seep into the cave, and the whole place was flooding. It was, for now, only up to Chomper’s ankles, but he had a sneaking suspicion that soon the entirety of Headache Cave would be submerged. He remembered what him and Pyron had discussed the previous night, and how the level of the water in this cave may have corresponded to the tides. Well, now it seemed to be high tide.

Yuti, to his slight relief, was now getting to her feet to prevent her head being submerged, but already the water around her was beginning to cloud over with a red stain. Chomper didn’t need to know what the red was. But all Yuti did was gesture to usefully sized opening in the cave with her head.

“You can climb out through there,” she said. “It’s how I got in.”

“Wait,” Chomper said, sniffing back a few tears. “There’s something I’ve got to do first…”

So saying, he turned tail and quickly waded over to the body of his fallen companion, which was now beginning to float gracefully above the waters. Chomper grabbed hold of Pyron’s arm, and gently pulled it towards him. But now he needed to get out of here – the water was already up to his torso and rising fast. Chomper could smell salt within the water, and realised Pyron’s assumptions were correct – this did indeed correlate with the Big Water. He wished he could have told him so, but he knew of course, Pyron would never hear him again…

At the same time, as Chomper struggled his way towards the exit, he couldn’t help but notice that Yuti’s attitude had indeed changed. She too was attempting to get out of here, and not suffer nature’s wrath. He hoped that this was a sign his half-finished speech had gotten to her…

As the two of them clambered out of the tunnel and onto the relative dry of a higher cave (but with water still inching in around their feet) Chomper, still holding tightly to Pyron, turned to his foe.

“Well…” he said, his mouth dry. “What will you do now?”

Yuti shrugged.

“I’ll probably just leave this whole place as best I can,” she replied. “Keep travelling until I’m sure I’m nowhere near any of you. You mostly likely won’t see me again.”

Chomper nodded. “Right, well…”

“I’m so sorry…” Yuti blurted out, her own eyes tearful now. Chomper’s however, hardened.

“You should have thought have that before…” he growled, holding Pyron’s body close to him. “I don’t want another death on my hands – it doesn’t change that fact that we’re mortal enemies. Just leave…”

Yuti, saying nothing more, nodded and quickly sprinted away.

Chomper closed his eyes. Had he been a bit brutish sending her away like that? No…she had murdered his best friend…well, one of his best friends. And the reason for sparing her was nothing to do with anything he felt towards her. It was for him, and how he knew Pyron would have felt about his best friend being a killer…

He couldn’t hold them back anymore – Chomper let the tears fall freely down his face, filled with sorrow-filled sobs as he hugged the body of his friend, knowing, no matter how hard he cried, no matter how empty he felt, that comforting hand would never pat him on the back, the kind, calming voice would never be heard again…

Chomper didn’t know how long he spent there, holding onto his deceased companion, but soon he felt a sudden swaying sensation around his chest…he opened his eyes.

The water level had now reached his chest. He gasped and quickly panicked, attempting to move but only ended up thrashing about. Just calm down, he told himself, just try and tred water…

But he wasn’t sure where to go now. With a mammoth effort, he began to stride this way and that, the water sloshing about him as it rose above his neck, but now he was beginning to lose control about which way he was moving. He desperately tried to swim, but felt Pyron’s arm slip out of his grip and float away…

Even as he desperately thrashed to try and retrieve the body, he found himself getting swept along by the current, maybe even further into the network.

“So this is it then…” Chomper thought, closing his eyes and resigning himself as the water continued to throw him around. “For me its end of the line. Goodbye Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike, Ruby…Saureen, Lini, Al, Seizon…Nycha. Mom and dad…and Pyron, I may have lost your body – but I’ll be seeing you soon…”

It was an incredible transformation. Before, the water had been frothing and gushing. Now, its movements were indescribable.

A monstrous torrent of foaming water, carrying with them the strength of a hundred herds boiled and crashed around the giant fast water chasm, slapping against the sides and causing Spike’s attempts to cling to the sides via a vine very difficult. Ducky was clinging to him like a limpet to a rock, her whole body paralysed with fear.

Littlefoot had been desperately trying to think of a solution when suddenly, the stone column he was standing on gave way, and he began to slip straight into the fast water himself. However, he was quickly grabbed out of harm’s way and placed back onto the bank by Kai. After being placed down, Littlefoot immediately leapt to his feet and ran over to the edge, along with Cera, Ruby and Petrie, to gaze down in terror at the formidable trepidation their friends were now in.

“Kai!” Littlefoot panted. “We’ve got to help them!”

“No time…” Kai grunted, hoisting himself off of the collapsing stone column and onto the bank. His front leg accidentally knocked into Ruby, sending her flying over the edge, screaming as she fell. She too managed to grip hold of a vine growing out of the edge of the canyon walls, and she was able to maintain a firmer grip on it than Spike with the use of her hands. But she still couldn’t move from where she was, with the fast water sloshing around her. This action of Kai’s had actually been an accident this time, but he couldn’t say he cared about the result either way.

“RUBY!!” came the startled cry of her fellows. Littlefoot turned to Kai.

“Come on!” he yelled in earnest. “You’ve got to-”

“No I don’t,” Kai snapped back. “Just leave them Littlefoot, come back to the Valley with me – you can do so much better than them!”

Littlefoot could simply not believe his ears.

“WHAT??”  he screamed, cold fury and numb disbelief sweeping through his entire being. “How can you even say that?”

“Littlefoot!” Kai yelled back impatiently. “We’ve no time to argue – you don’t even realise your importance! I have specific instructions that concern you and your link to supreme authority over the entire Valley!”

“What??” Littlefoot repeated. What was wrong with this guy? Had he hit his head? Like, severely?

“Instructions?” Cera yelled angrily at him. “Are you saying you’ve been planning something with the Valley and us from the beginning?”

“Yes, actually!” Kai spat back at her. “And no sub-standard whiny little lumpheaded brat is going to mess it up for me and my leader!!”

“You’re insane!!” Littlefoot screamed at him. “I would rather drop dead here than go anywhere with the likes of you!”

“Be careful what you say kid,” Kai hissed. “And I know about this so-called friend of yours – the Sharptooth.”

Littlefoot’s eyes widened.

“Yes…” a pained expression crossed Kai’s face. “And of course I would have killed it the second I saw it. I can’t believe you, of all people, would go around making friends with non-longnecks…and a Sharptooth!”

“Yeah?” Littlefoot snarled. “Well, they’re far better than you – you don’t even begin to compare!”

Something inside Kai’s fragile brain snapped. His eye developed a twitch, and with a murderous snarl, he swung his neck down, smacking straight into Littlefoot, Cera and Petire and sending them tumbling over the edge.

“SO BE IT!!!!” Kai roared, before turning tail and striding away.

The relief of having Kai finally leave them wasn’t even felt due to the formidable danger all of them where now in. Petrie quickly caught an air current and began to hover by the fast water, but Littlefoot and Cera weren’t so lucky. Unlike their vine grabbing companions they had landed straight into the water with a resounding splash. They were immediately swept away and it was only Ruby’s quick thinking that saved them.

The wall of the great chasm was covered in moss, lichen and vines, like the one she was currently gripping, and now, with a stroke of inspiration, she promptly bit through one nearby. It dropped, spinning and snaking away, towards the water, but Ruby quickly gripped the other end tightly in between her toe-claws, allowing it to be churned about by the water, but still be in one place. It was this that Littlefoot and Cera quickly grabbed onto.

“Thanks Ruby!” Littlefoot gasped. Cera’s thanks were muffled by gurglings and coughs.

“Don’t thank me yet…” Ruby muttered, having already seen a flaw in her plan. The churning waters were jerking the other end of the vine about, making gripping it difficult – it was even more difficult now it had the weight of two of her friends on the other end. Two of her largest, she might add. Already, she could feel her toes straining and going numb as she attempted to hold onto them.

“Petrie!” Ruby yelled at him. “Quickly – tie this vine around my ankles!”

Petrie, who had been watching the scene unfold before him in horror, quickly looked around and nodded.

“Sure – me got it!” He zipped forward and began to do as Ruby instructed, tying it tightly and securely, so that Ruby had little trouble it keeping Littlefoot and Cera steady.

“Excellent!” she said.

“Thanks…” Petrie murmured. “Now what?”

Ruby frowned. That was a very good question. They were all out of immediate danger but were resigned to gripping on vines. She needed to come up with something else.

She looked down at Littlefoot and Cera.

“Cera, Littlefoot!” she called. “Take the end of this vine and bring it towards Spike. Then hold on tight as Petrie ties it round Spike and Ducky. That way we’re all hanging onto the same vine. Then, I will try to climb up using the one I’m holding and I’ll pull you all up too.”

“You can’t do that!!” Cera gasped. “You’ll never be able to carry all our weights with your feet!”

“Once you get to this chasm wall,” Ruby replied. “You’ll be able to climb yourselves!”

“But how are we going to get over there?” Cera asked. “We can’t move in this fast flowing water!”

Ruby nodded down to large boulders flowing past them.

“Some of the remnants of the stone columns,” she explained. “Hopping on those will be able to give you some leverage. But remember to keep a tight grip on the vine in your teeth!”

Seeing no other alternative in sight, Littlefoot and Cera began their rock-hopping. It was much harder than ordinary hopping on rocks, considering they had to keep hold on the vine in their teeth and the rocks were moving as fast as the water. They kept on slipping off, and, in having to keep a tight grip on the vine, ended up straining their jaw muscles and necks, resulting in considerable aches.

Ruby too was feeling the strain. The vine was digging into the flesh around her ankles, cutting off the blood supply and making her feet numb. Her main worry however, was that it would come loose.

Littlefoot and Cera eventually made it towards Spike, managing to stay there by slamming clumsily into the rock face and gripping tightly to jagged rocks jutting out of the side, ignoring the stings as they cut into them. Petrie promptly took the end of the vine and began to loop in around Spike’s middle, Littlefoot and Cera still gripping tightly at whatever part of the vine was being threaded through their teeth. Remarkably, nobody lost their grip and the vine didn’t break, and eventually, Spike was tightly secured, as was Ducky, still on his back. Petrie had realised too late that the vine was restricting her arm movements, but at least she wouldn’t slip out. In his mind, it was more like a seatbelt really.

“Sorry Ducky!” he said.

“That is OK!” Ducky gasped, attempting to free her arms.

And, convinced he was safe, Spike let go of the other vine he had gripped between his teeth. The whole lot of them sagged into the water, but despite the buffeting, didn’t get swept away.

“OK!” Ruby called down to them, both relieved and her astonished her plan had worked. “I’m going to start climbing now – once you get to the wall yourselves, start climbing too!”

And so she began to hoist herself up using the vine she was gripping in her hands. This was easier said than done, considering she was dragging all of her friends along with her, not to mention the fact that she couldn’t get any grip of sorts on the wall using her feet, considering her ankles were tightly tied together and growing numb. Sweat slipped off her brow and into the churning waters below, and she was grunting as she took the strain on her legs. Littlefoot, Cera and Spike attempted to paddle towards the wall to make Ruby’s job easier, but to little avail. Even when Cera quickly clambered onto the rock face and began to attempt climbing, Ruby was already exhausted.

“Come on!” Petrie urged, flapping around below her. “Don’t give up, we almost there!”

Ruby looked above her. The bank couldn’t have been much higher than four metres up, but she couldn’t feel as though she could make it. She could feel the pulling down of all of her friends as she attempted to pull down on the vine she was gripping too. Eventually, all of this action could have only one possible result.

The vine snapped.

It was the vine attached to Ruby’s ankles that finally gave, and it sent Cera, Littlefoot, Spike and Ducky tumbling back into the fast water, and this time without an anchor. At the same time, Ruby lost her grip on the vine she was holding, and, with the remnants of the snapped vine still tied around her ankles, she fell, knocking into Petrie as she went, sending him into the fast water and getting his wing membranes water-logged, preventing him from taking off.

The gang yelled and gurgled as they were swept along by the merciless current, terror gripping them and consuming them into a dark hole of dread. It seemed this was the end of them too – Even as they seemed destined for a watery demise, Littlefoot remembered what he had said to Kai: “I would rather drop dead here than go anywhere with the likes of you!” Did he regret saying that?
Not really. Littlefoot gritted his teeth in defiance as the water cascaded above and around him.
He still meant every word…

Sometimes, the height of a battle can be its most docile point.

Redclaw knew this for a fact. He crept slowly through the forest, every sense alert, trying to pick out something other than the eerie silence. Somebody was watching him closely…

Redclaw barely had time to react when the massive bladeback charged out of the trees at him, headbutting him into a bush. The twoclaw quickly staggered to his feet as Xal bit hard into his shoulder. Howling, Redclaw attempted to retaliate with a return bite to the shoulder, but Xal just bit harder and lashed his opponent across the face to prevent the bite. Not to be outdone, Redclaw kicked out at Xal’s hindquarters, causing the bladeback to grunt and stagger. Redclaw took the opportunity to ram into him, but Xal quickly lifted his out of the way, and taking advantage of Redclaw now being the off-balanced one, slammed his lower jaw down across his head, sending his crashing to the ground in a daze. Xal then stomped his foot down onto Redclaw’s neck to prevent him from getting up. He smiled triumphantly.

“You fool,” he hissed. “Did you really think you could come wandering into the heart of my territory and not pay the price? I suppose you’re after some sort of vendetta?”

“You’re the one with the vendetta!” Redclaw snapped back. “Listen – I’ve just woken up from a coma, and all my followers have abandoned me. I’ve got nothing else left and no other place to go.”

Xal laughed humourlessly.

“And you think you’re going to get refuge and shelter here? You, one of my greatest enemies?”

“Perhaps you’re forgetting the advantages?” Redclaw growled. “We have greater enemies – Ulciscor and the entire Great Valley…”

That was an interesting point. Xal considered this briefly, and as he did so, a gang of drooling Piercers began to gather. Redclaw suddenly became nervous. He didn’t much fancy his chances with them. But he had to do a double take when a certain tall emerald green Sharptooth began to stride to join the gathering.

“Gigas…?”

Gigas looked down at Redclaw, equal surprise in his complexion.

“Ah…Redclaw. I did hear there was an intruder in the forest. I didn’t realise it was you…”

“You are aquainted?” Xal was immediately alert.

“Yes…” Gigas suddenly gained a faraway look in his eyes. “Our paths have crossed before…then again, Redclaw has earned his fame throughout the area for his knack for spreading terror…” he smiled malevolently. “And now, alas, his followers have all abandoned him – left him for dead, it seems?”

Redclaw gave an angry snarl.

“Quiet!” Xal snapped at him. “Well Gigas, Redclaw has come here requesting to form an alliance to help win our revolutionary war against the leaf-eater’s world. I personally think it would be a-”

“Why not?” Gigas interrupted, shrugging. “Release him to me, and I’ll get him enrolled in the Piercer Platoon.”

Xal’s eye twitched. Having his authority undermined like this over something he considered a serious matter had clearly irked him big time. He looked Gigas hard in the eye.

“I’m not sure that’s wise,” he snarled. “This predator is a very great threat and foe. We should tred carefully…possibly dispose of him. If he is allowed in our army, my fear is that he will betray us…”

“Who’s he got to betray us to?” Gigas challenged. “I have every good reason to believe his followers have abandoned him, otherwise he wouldn’t have come in here himself. And he is against many of those in the Valley we oppose. If we allowed him, he could become a powerful ally. And by enrolling him, we have automatically gotten rid of one of our great enemies.”

Xal considered this.

“Alright,” he relented. “He may join us, but keep him under close scrutiny.”

“Will do.” Gigas gave a curt nod. “I’ll ensure the Piercers keep him secure…” his lip curled slightly at the last word. Redclaw gave Gigas a look that clearly wished him a painful death as Xal stepped off of him and walked away without another word.

Noticing Saurus Rock in the distance, Kai began to feel a slight regret about sending Littlefoot into the cascading waters. Ulciscor wouldn’t be too happy his nephew and heir was dead, but if he explained to him what Littlefoot had said, Ulciscor would probably understand.

In both of their views, any leaf-eater who defended sharpteeth was almost as bad as one, and should probably be purged as much as sharpteeth should. Any vile stain on a perfect world must be eradicated, a fact Ulciscor taught him a long time ago. Kai smiled to himself. Besides, if Littlefoot wasn’t willing to continue his uncle’s ways, maybe that would leave the throne of the Valley to him…

Chomper wasn’t sure how he had managed to remain conscious as the water threw him around, sending him under several times, but he had just let it, no longer feeling or caring, until suddenly, to his surprise, he felt someone grip his arm.

“Chomper!”

He opened his eyes and to his mingled surprise and delight, Lini was hanging precariously off an unsubmerged rock in what looked like the cavern they had slept in the previous night, her tough but gentle clawed arm gripping his upper arm tightly. Nycha was standing behind her, grabbing hold of her tail to prevent her from falling in.

“Careful…” she murmured. “You got him?”

“I think so…” Lini replied, swallowing slightly. “Hold on Chomper!”

With her help, Chomper began to climb to join them, but then a loud splash of water from behind him made him slip, clinging dangerously onto the edge as he looked to see the source. To his horror, Torq was swimming behind him, his ugly demonic eyes fixed upon him, his jaws opened wide…

He sank his teeth into Chomper’s leg. Chomper cried out in pain, as he was slowly dragged towards the water. Torq said something to him, but with all the grunts and gurgles, it was largely inaudible. Though Chomper did hear the term ëlittle biter’ mentioned…

Suddenly, Torq received an almighty kick in the face with a sinister sickle-shaped claw, leaving a deep cut imbedded in his hide. He yelled out in pain and jerked his head backwards, releasing Chomper but slamming his head into another rock lower down than the one Lini and Nycha were on. He slid slowly down the rock and back under the water. Nycha, who had aimed the kick at Torq, looked at the bubbles where he had vanished with satisfaction. Then she helped Lini hoist Chomper onto the rock.

The whole situation had made Chomper giddy with disbelief. Nycha had just saved him from Torq AND help pull him to safety. And there wasn’t even a Seizon around to impress with her valour. Nycha, it seemed, had had a change of heart, and if that were the case, Chomper didn’t want to think about how she would react when she heard what had happened to her brother…

He was snapped out of these thoughts when Lini spoke.

“OK,” she said. “Now let’s go join the others.” She helped Chomper climb up to the gap in the ceiling and out into the brilliant sunshine. Chomper squinted forcefully. He hadn’t seen the sun for a while, and the dazzling quality of it reminded him of Headache Cave…

Headache Cave…

Seizon, Saureen and Al greeted him enthusiastically, patting him on the back – the way you do. It wasn’t much, but Chomper wished this greeting would last forever – or at least, a lot longer than it did. That way he could put off answering the dreaded and horrible question that was sure to come…

And it did come. Once the group of now six had settled themselves on top of the Cave Network, the question was asked. Unsurprisingly, it was Nycha who asked it. She turned to Chomper, and, despite the fact that her eyes were no longer full of contempt and rage, despite the fact that she spoke as innocently as the other two girls would, and despite the fact that she gave him a small, uneasy smile before saying it, the three words she then spoke cut through Chomper like that fateful stone tooth.

“So – where’s Pyron?”

It had been asked. And he would have to be the one to answer it. He swallowed again. The five pairs of eyes were upon him.

“He…well…” he began to stutter. But then the image came, Pyron lying on his back with a hole in his chest, and with it the true reality of what had happened, and with them both the tears. The tears began to cascade in a waterfall down his face and the racking sobs whimpered through his throat like a wounded animal.

The other five were shocked to see this transformation, and it was only a matter of time before the horrible realisation began to dawn on them too. Nycha was the first one to attempt to speak.

“He’s…not…?” The words quavered with abject horror and shock. The increase of Chomper’s sobs confirmed her worst fears.

Nycha stood still for a very long time, not looking at the others as they all exchanged looks, but with her eyes fixed on Chomper.

“You…” she suddenly said hoarsely. “You…you…filthy…sap-sucking fiendish…SON OF A TAR-PIT!!! DIE YOU MONSTER!!! I HATE YOU!!!!” She had gotten louder and angrier as she had continued, until she was practically screaming in anguish, baying for blood.

Chomper honestly didn’t care what Nycha wanted to do to him now, but even so it took the combined strength of Lini, Al and Seizon to stop the fiery, angry and tragically crushed fast biter from leaping on top of Chomper and tearing him apart.

Saureen meanwhile, walked around them towards Chomper, the grief and pity apparent in her eyes. She quickly wrapped him in a tight embrace as Chomper wept into her shoulder.

“How did it happen?” she whispered, rubbing his back tenderly.

“It was Yuti…” Chomper sobbed. “She lured us to a cave full of crystals and shiny stones, and she used them as weapons…Pyron saved me…” He broke down again, and Saureen hugged him tighter, a few tears of her own leaking out of her eyes.

Lini, Seizon and Al will still trying to restrain Nycha as she screamed and fought to get away.

“Nycha!” Lini insisted. “You can’t blame Chomper for what happened…”

“I DON’T CARE!!!” Nycha screamed at her. “I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU ALL…”

With that said, her body suddenly became limp, and she collapsed on all fours, tears cascading down her face, crying and wailing even harder than Chomper.

Saureen released Chomper, wiping her eyes and allowing Lini to take over for her, as she decided she needed a word. Beckoning Seizon over to a more isolated spot, she took a deep breath before starting on him.

“You know I blame you for this you know?”

Seizon looked aghast.

“Me??” he yelped. “What did I-”

“ëOoh, let’s go nab this massive death trap for Xal!’ That’s what you did!” Saureen seemed quite angry. “It was unnecessary, as Ichy told us and now, as you can see, it was a fatal mistake…” The tears began to bubble up behind her emerald eyes again. “It’s your fault…your fault, Seizon, that Pyron’s dead…”

Seizon considered this briefly as he gazed at his pack.

“Yeah…” he nodded. “I think you’re right…I’m so sorry…” he put his arm around her. “I hope this’ll be a lesson to me…”

“It won’t bring him back though, will it?” Saureen hissed.

“No,” Seizon agreed. “But it could prevent something like this happening again. In the meantime, I need to take responsibility for this…” He slowly walked towards Al, who was attempting to console Nycha to little effect.

“Al,” Seizon said. “Come back with me into the cave. We must find his body.” He turned to Chomper and smiled slightly. “In our Sharptooth cultures, its tradition to bury those who have passed away.”

They eventually found the wet and bedraggled body of Pyron, which Al tenderly carried out of the Network and out of range of the flooding. They were now determined to be as far away from the cave as possible. Nott had done a runner whilst they were all distracted in rescuing Chomper. A cowardly flight, as Seizon said, not something associated with Pyron.

In a small oasis a distance east of the cave network, the six of them began to dig a shallow grave. Nobody spoke as they dug, and there was no signal to stop digging. They all seemed to know when the grave was deep enough. Satisfied, they all stepped back.

“Chomper…?” Seizon queried. “Would you like to do the honours?”

Chomper glanced uneasily at Nycha, thinking she would skin him alive if he went anywhere near her brother’s body. But Nycha just shrugged. She had become very stoic following her outburst, not saying a word to anyone. Her grief now seemed to be beyond tears.

And so, Chomper gently took Pyron’s body in his arms, and placed him in the grave they had dug. Chomper was glad he had thought to close his eyes beforehand. He did look peaceful lying there.

“I think we should each say a few words,” Seizon continued. “As we say goodbye. Pyron – you were a formidable asset to the group. Loyal, hard-working, and helped maintain our morale. You will be sorely missed. Goodbye and thank you for what you’ve done. Also…” he cleared his throat. “I hope you’ll forgive me for deciding on this whole cave trip. It was foolish of me, I’m sorry…”

Admitting his part in Pyron’s death seemed to be a dangerous thing to say in front of Nycha, but she didn’t react.

Al stepped forward.

“Farewell my friend,” he said. “You may be gone, but your spirit will within us for a long time, as will your heart and values.”

“Pyron,” Lini said, tearing up slightly. “You’ve shown us what the true value of friendship is and we will all miss you dearly. I’m so glad we got to know you. Goodbye.”

Saureen too was crying silently.

“I would ask you to forgive Seizon for his recklessness,” she said. “But I know you would anyway, Pyron. You were kind, brave and always looked for the best in people, and built up their characters in that. As long as this pack still exists, I’m certain you will never be forgotten. Goodbye…”

Chomper swallowed slightly.

“If it’s the same with you,” Chomper said. “I’d like to say my words later…on my own.”
“Yeah…” Nycha suddenly spoke up. “Me too…”

“Certainly,” Seizon nodded. “But I think we should cover him now.”

And so they all moved as one to rebury him, and as they did so, the sky-water began to fall. Seizon said that this was a good sign of nature continuing, as they should, but Chomper saw it simply as a sign that even the weather was mourning the great loss.

He didn’t know why he had decided to leave his ëfew words’ for later, but he felt it was most likely that he would feel a horrible sense of closure if he had said them too soon. He waited until night had come, and everyone was settling down. He knew he should try and sleep too of course – he hadn’t had a wink of sleep last night, but this would, he supposed, be a good opportunity to say goodbye.

Except there was already someone else at Pyron’s grave.

Chomper could clearly make out Nycha’s silhouette, standing by the grave, speaking something under her breath. What with the volume, and the fact that she was weeping at every breath, it was difficult to determine what she was saying, but Chomper did catch a few words.

“Sorry…”

Sorry? Did this mean Nycha blamed herself for what had happened to Pyron? It seemed ridiculous to assume, and yet, Chomper remembered how Pyron had told him how she blamed herself for failing to meet up with standards of the tetrarchy. Chomper suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of sympathy for her, and wanted to walk over to comfort her, but Nycha was now walking away from the grave, and back to her sleeping spot, which was a distinct distance away from the rest.

Chomper stepped forward.

He could clearly see the freshly dug mound of earth and the place where Pyron was buried. It would be a while before that mound blended in with the rest of the earth. It was some comfort to realise that Pyron was leaving some sort of a visible legacy on the world.

But perhaps there was a more permanent way?

Chomper now noticed something small at the head of the grave. It was a small, tuft of something that looked like a plant, but as Chomper looked closer, he realised that it was, in fact, a feather.

Relatively small, but a beautiful lilac colour that seemed to shimmer in the night. Chomper knew full well who that feather belonged to. It could only be Nycha’s. The mental image of her plucking a feather from her own head and placing it on her brother’s grave was such a touching one, that Chomper had begun to tear up before he had even spoken.

“Pyron…” he murmured. “One of the closest things I’ve ever had to a brother. Words can’t emphasize how much you meant to me, or how much I miss you now…”

Plop. The first tear fell onto the earth. It would soon be followed by more.

“I hope,” Chomper went on, sniffing. “That wherever you are now, it’s become a better place. One where you never have to fear being good enough before a horrendous panel, where you never have to fear your life. Such a world you do deserve.”
Chomper wiped his eyes. He needed to be stable of mind to do this.

“But I know it’s the entire pack you’ve had an effect on, not just me. And there will be an individual who is even more lost without you than me.”

He knelt down to the grave and reached forward for the feather. It was soft, smooth and pleasant to touch, and he carefully caressed it in his fingers, careful not to break it.

“Your own sister,” he said. “If only you could have seen her before she heard the news.” He gave a sad smile. “She was a different person, trying to improve and have a change of heart. If that’s possible, it’ll be something to work at.”

As Chomper straightened up, Pyron’s dying wish came back to him.

“Please look after my sister. She needs guidance.”

“I’m not about to let you die in vain Pyron,” Chomper promised. “I will her give her the guidance she needs. Given that you were a brother to me…”

He gazed over at the sleeping fast biter.

“She’s my sister too now…”

I hope you're up to the challenge, Chomper.  :blink:

Well, I hope you enjoyed, and you found this chapter almost as tragic as the last one?  :confused Apologies for the slightly excessive gore at the beginning of this chapter, but hopefully Chomper's transformation gave you something to think about...at the same time, this chapter has a fitting title - how many times is blood mentioned???  :wow

And yes, there's the blame game too - Nycha blaming both Chomper and herself for what had happened, and Saureen blaming Seizon. Let's hope he learns his lesson this time... :lol

Apologies also for my lack of physics knowledge - I don't even know if Ruby's escape attempt was even possible!  :oops  But then again, it didn't work... :p And in case you're worried, I haven't just killed off the gang - but stay tuned, it'll be interesting to see where they end up.

Kai's an evil monster as usual, and Redclaw has now swollen Xal's ranks! What do you think of that?

And one more thing - do you want to say a few words of farewell to Pyron too?  :cry

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
*le gasp* Chomper... you... what... the... AHHHHHHHHH!

Saying that, I don't blame him after what happened to Pyron. Yuti did sort of deserve having her hand bitten off. :o

KAI YOU LITTLE @$%?!&!!!!!!

I'm only really just starting with physics, so I can't really say much on Ruby's escape plan. It was a good idea, though, and the vine did snap in the end... How are they going to get out of that one now? I have a feeling I might know where they could end up, but I won't say anything. :p

Screw you, Kai, again. :nyah

Y'know, I actually had a feeling that Red Claw might join Xal. I know they hate each other, but then there's Ulcisor and the war against the Great Valley... I don't see how Red Claw can resist. :P:

Seizon, I do also blame you. Don't overestimate yourself and get one of your friends killed again, or else I'll have to zap myself into your world and strangle you. :lol

Pyron's burial was so emotional... :cry I'm interested to see the interaction between Chomper and Nycha that is to come...

Another amazing, emotional and plot-twisting chapter, Toby! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. This just get more and more tense as it goes on...

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
:lol So many things remain to be seen! Thanks, glad you liked.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
An update :celebrate

This chapter was a good mixture of action and emotional scenes :lol
Gonna point out why and making comments on anything I feel like commenting on it :P:

First, as in your previous chapter, the title fits so well :wow Blood and Water... let it 'melt on your tongue' :smile

Whoa! Chomper  finally shows his killing abilities (though he haven't killed Yuti). I seriously thought he'd end her life though... eye for an eye, right? ;) The talk they had after that was well done:)

But then the water level rises, uh oh...
You wrote a wicked scene there :lol Kai's been too much of a jerk and the results are... good on the one hand (they finally got rid of him) but really bad on the other hand (they're dreaded of drowning). If you dare to kill off Ducky... :mad

So THAT'S what Redclaw's up to... joining... Xal's forces  :bang Interesting.. wonder if Xal's worries will come true or if Redclaw means it :)

I almost forgot Ulciscor's Littlefoot's uncle...
Kai smiled to himself. Besides, if Littlefoot wasn’t willing to continue his uncle’s ways, maybe that would leave the throne of the Valley to him…
Kai you evil thing!!!

TORQ!!! Well, biting Chomper was probably the last thing he did... Well done Lini AND Nycha!
Nycha, it seemed, had had a change of heart, and if that were the case, Chomper didn’t want to think about how she would react when she heard what had happened to her brother…
point one: Great!
point two: uh oh...
So Nycha HAD to ask and she's getting angry :unsure:
Saureen hugged Chomper awww :cry
Ah, finally someone got it's all Seizon's fault.. :( Dawn you, Seizon!
And they'll go find Pyron's corpse? Nice :smile

Nott had done a runner whilst they were all distracted in rescuing Chomper. A cowardly flight, as Seizon said, not something associated with Pyron.
NOTT IS A COWARD!!! Now every dinosaur knows it :DD

So they'll bury him.. that is a nice idea, man :)
Seizon admits his fault in front of everyone and Chomper and Nycha want to tell Pyron their goodbye alone...

Whoa! Chomper's speech is deep :wow It's difficult to accept someone as a sister who beated you not long ago...

Can't wait for the next one :D So keep writing you evil thing!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This was a nice transition and I know this shouldn't be funny, but for some weird reason, I found the phrase "sharptooth blood tasted nice" to be funny... :o

Wow... just wow. I would never have pictured Chomper doing that, like ever, to like anyone. Even if Yuti did something horrible - which she didn't mean to do, anyway. In a way, it's... oddly satisfying that he can stick up for himself but on the other hand it's frightening to see what's he's capable of. Chomper coming to terms with his sharptooth lineage has got to be one of the most challenging fanfic subjects ever...

And Nycha was nice... for a few seconds this time :(

My words to Pyron - I really admired you for the short time that you were around. You had so many good qualities and you definitely helped to break down the misconception of evil sharptooths for me.
You will be missed.
J. R. R. Tolkein

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I haven't commented n this in a really long time, so mind as well get back i nthe swing of things.

I've really liked looking at Chomper's transformation so far through this. He's growing close to the pack ,and learning that some of them aren't bad. Also, he did something he'd never believed he could have done, ripping someones arm off, and almost killing them.

So, we've got two large, strong, evil forces that should be colliding soon. They might talk about how evil, or unwashed the other side is, but they're both the same, really. (minus the c anabolism. Seeing that in the Great Valley would be... wow. :lol) The good guys are gonna have a monumental task getting this sorted out. o.o

I'm really looking for the the Gang and Chomper's pack meeting up. (Sorry, can't shut up about that. :p) It's usually the part I wait for the most in these fanfics. When flatteeth and sharpteeth characters meet, and seeing how they interact.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, the next chapter is when things get moving again.  ;) You may not have to wait long for such a meeting.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Chapter Fourteen: Al’s Revelation

“Hey, if you don’t mind, there are people here I’d like you to see.”

The female spiketail opened her eyes blearily to see Tetsugaku standing in front of her. The male rainbow-face had that same old mysterious smile playing about his lips, one that she knew meant he knew something she didn’t. It was an irritating habit of his, made even more by the fact that, due to an accident she had had several years ago, she couldn’t remember a thing about her previous life herself. Still, Tetsugaku and his mate Hoshia had been very good to her, first saving her life from the still unconfirmed causes of the accident, and providing her with hospitality, shelter and food. She shouldn’t complain.

“Sure,” she replied, yawning and rising to her feet. “But who are they?”

Tetsugaku’s smile grew wider.

“Kids,” he replied.

The spiketail frowned.

“What exactly do you want me to meet kids for?”

“Well,” Tetsugaku explained. “You see, Opal, they too were involved in an accident.”

Opal’s eyes widended.

“Oh!” she breathed. “Are they alright?”

“Yes,” Tetsugaku replied. “Don’t worry – Hoshia is with them now.”

Opal breathed a sigh of relief.

“What happened to them?” she asked.

“The fast water,” Tetsugaku explained. “They had obviously fallen in somehow and were heading for a watery demise. We managed to fish them out though! And their memory is still intact…”

Opal nodded. “Good…good…so where are they?”

“I shall take you to them,” Tetsugaku promised.

Littlefoot munched on some groundstars slowly, pondering his situation. OK, so on the one hand, him and his friends had just been saved from almost certain death, by someone who was, at least, a familiar face. The female rainbow-face, who had now introduced herself as Hoshia was standing, calmly smiling as they ate. It seemed there was barely anything more to it, but questions exploded in Littlefoot’s head like volcanoes and he was unsure what to ask first.

To content himself, he gazed around at their surroundings. They were in a smooth, unremarkable cave with a beam of light coming through an opening nearby. His friends, like him, were tucking into the green food, virtually unscathed and unperturbed, although Ruby did grimace slightly as she shifted from foot-to-foot. That vine can’t have been pleasant on her.
The last thing Littlefoot remembered was being partly submerged by the frothing fast water, choking on the rapids. Then, he was here, alive, well and dry…

“How did you manage to save us all?” he demanded of Hoshia at last. Hoshia just chuckled.

“Well…that would be telling wouldn’t it?”

“Hmmm…” Cera grunted in annoyance, pausing in her eating to glare reproachfully at Hoshia.

“Just to let you know,” she snapped. “We’ve got quite a serious issue on our hands. First off, our friend is missing, and secondly, we’ve just been in the company of a nutter who wants to kill us and was messing with our Valley…”

“Yet your problems are one less because we’ve rescued you,” Hoshia replied, calmly, still smiling. “And given the current situation, knowing how we did it isn’t really important, surely?”

Cera, unable to find a counter-argument, just ducked her head back down.

“Guess not…” she muttered. “And…thanks for saving us.”

Hoshia smiled. “You’re welcome.”

“So, what we do now?” Petrie asked, unsure.

“Well…” Littlefoot pondered. “I don’t think we can go back to the Valley…”

“No,” Hoshia agreed, suddenly serious. “Right now Littlefoot, there is no worse place for you to go than the Valley.”

“But why?” Ducky asked. “What has happened there?”

“I’m afraid I’m not the best person to explain it to you,” Hoshia replied. “I’m afraid the situation is extremely complicated. You must find shelter – people you can trust. Because you can’t fight this battle alone.”

“Battle?” Ruby looked horrified. “What sort of…?”

“All will become clear to you,” Hoshia spoke over her. “Once you go to the Rocky Heathland, near the Land of Mists. Currently, its where Old One’s herd resides.”

“Old One?” Littlefoot’s face brightened. “Oh yeah! We know her herd, that should be fine…” he frowned slightly. “But what’s this all about?”

“You will find your answers,” Hoshia promised. “But I cannot disclose too much here. It would stunt your sense of purpose, and horrify you to the core. Meeting with Old One’s herd is the best thing you can do now – it’ll enable you to save the Great Valley, and you’ll find your friend…”

“How do you know all this??” Cera gasped. “And if you know all of-”

Hoshia held up a hand to silence her.

“We keep a close watch on the goings-on of the world,” she said.

Littlefoot simply shrugged and gazed around at his friends.

“Are we agreed?” he said. “Rocky Heathland?”

They all looked uncertain. All of this was moving too fast for them, and they were having difficulty processing it. But then Spike beamed, and stalked determinately forward.

“Nice one Spike!” Littlefoot crowed. “And the rest of you?”

Slowly, the other four nodded.

“Rocky Heathland though…” Ruby murmured. “It’s quite a perilous journey…will you be coming with us, Hoshia?”

“I’m afraid not,” Hoshia replied. “Tetsugaku and I have things we must do. However, we have also picked out the perfect person to accompany you – your last companion, as I am aware, was…how should I put it? Murderous…”

Right on cue, Tetsugaku strode into view, an adult female spiketail in his wake.

“Hello, children,” Tetsugaku smiled. “Meet Opal. She shall be accompanying you to the Rocky Heathland. Opal, this is Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike, and…?”

“Ruby,” Hoshia affirmed.

“And Ruby!” Tetsugaku finished brilliantly, a broad smile on his face. “They’re lovely kids, and kids, Opal is a lovely individual. I’m sure you’ll get along fine.”

Cera wasn’t so sure. It wasn’t as if she had taken an immediate dislike to Opal, it was just that being introduced to someone so suddenly was a little bit unorthodox.

Opal seemed to think so too, as she just grinned sheepishly at the kids.

“Hi…” she muttered. She had no idea that these kids were Valleians…she didn’t even remember her role as once leader of the Great Valley, and of course, she had no idea that one of them among the group was her own son. But sometimes, you have to allow fate to take its course, which is what the rainbow faces were expecting.

“Rocky Heathland?” Hoshia questioned.

Opal looked round at her.

“Yes!” she suddenly exclaimed. “Yes…of course!” She turned back to the kids.

“I apologize if any of my geographical knowledge is poor,” she said to them. “I have spent many years living here since a nasty accident caused me to lose my memory – but I’m hoping that now I have my strength back, I can take a walk back down memory lane and see if that comes back. I shall be accompanying you to join Ancient One’s herd.”

“Old One…”

“That’s right…” Opal frowned. “Sorry…won’t happen again.”

“Excellent!” Tetsugaku exclaimed, clapping his hands together. “Well – no need to dawdle. You can exit through there.” He gestured to the opening in the cave.

So the group of seven headed out, with instructions to head East towards the Rocky Heathland. They were still puzzled as to what they would find there, but they trusted the rainbow faces. And, Littlefoot reasoned, even though Opal was a companion who was a little unsure of herself, anyone was better than Kai.

“Mr Threehorn?”

Topps grunted in response. Dorian Thicknose licked his lips and continued.

“According to what I heard a Bludgeoner say, we’re scheduled to be released within the next several days.”

Topps opened one eye blearily.

“A bit of a short sentence for a couple of ëviolent’ dinosaurs who tried to wipe out the greatly esteemed leader,” he remarked, standing up and pacing.

Dorian shrugged.

“I’m not really sure why it is,” he replied. “But it’s got to be better than being imprisoned in the caverns?”

“Speak for yourself,” Topps replied bitterly. “When they release that stone at the front, the light will blind us. And even then, outside in the Valley is just as a prison as it is here…”

“That’s a very bleak outlook, my friend,” Dorian replied.

“Yeah?” Topps grunted back. “What else have you come to expect from me?”

He continued to pace.

“Tria left me…” he snapped eventually, slumping down again. “She said our little rebellion was too poor an act of judgement to survive in Ulciscor’s Valley.”

“I am aware of that,” Dorian replied. “But…”

“But?” Topps snapped. “I’ve got nothing else to live for. All is lost. I thought I’d been given a second chance with a family. But I failed…”

“Is that what you thought last time?” Dorian asked quietly. “Since when was Topps Threehorn a quitter?”

“I have tried, Thicknose,” Topps replied bleakly. “I have tried…”

“Tried, have you?” Dorian challenged, now pacing himself. “It’s just that…well, last time you were inclined to believe you had lost your entire family to unfortunate circumstances, what did you do? Cast your mind back.”

“I…” Topps hesitated.

“You set out to find a paradise Valley by taking a leading role in a mixed herd, something that went against your values. And not only did you attempt it, you accomplished it!”

“Hmm…” Topps nodded. “But look what’s happened to that paradise Valley now…”

“Maybe so,” Dorian agreed. “But before that – once you’d found the Valley, something returned to you. Your youngest daughter, Cera.”

Topps eyes widened as he remembered that euphoric moment all that time ago when he had seen Cera sprinting towards him through the long grass, a small piece of his life that had returned to him all that time ago. Oh, what a joyous moment that had been…but now…

“Cera’s gone,” he sighed. “I don’t know where she is…”

“But if she’s not in this Valley,” Dorian continued. “That can’t be too bad, right?”

“No…” Topps admitted. “I guess not…”

“What exactly was it that motivated you to continue pressing towards the Valley, even when you thought all was lost?” Dorian asked.

“Hmm…” Topps pondered. “I don’t know…I guess I thought that I could…start afresh…have a new life, away from the guilt and pain…”

“Whatever it was,” Dorian continued. “You got greatly rewarded for it in the form of Cera returning to you.”

Topps looked at him, puzzled.

“Do you believe its fate?” Topps asked. “That Cera coming back to me was a reward for my persistence?”

“It’s possible,” Dorian nodded. “I don’t really know what to believe about fate. But your persistence with that girl, attempting to save her from all the trouble she got herself into served you another reward, in the form of your childhood sweetheart coming to the Valley.”

Topps was once again brought back to the happy time he had seen Tria come towards him for the first time in years. But then the frown returned.

“But she’s left me…”

“And think,” Dorian pressed, ignoring him. “Of the beautiful baby you spawned with her. I don’t know if fate is real, but perhaps if you persist with protecting everyone in the Valley the way I know you can under this harsh realm, maybe you will be served with great bounties as a reward. Even if not, the Topps Threehorn I know would never back down from adversary, especially as it’s trying to take from him the things he loves in life. It’s an expansion of your caring side people can’t often see.” Dorian smiled. “But you can show it to them.”

Topps glanced back at him, and, in spite of everything, smiled too.

“Yes…” he murmured. “Yes, you’re right. Thank you Dorian.”

“My pleasure,” Dorian replied. “And remember – there are always others who have it worse than you. Think of the old clubtail who should be with us now. And the longnecks.”

Topps nodded.

“Yes…Ulciscor’s their son. No wonder they kept it quiet. I guess it’s them who need to most help out of all of us.”

“You did WHAT?”

It was an unearthly yell, and Hyp was curious as to what would make Ulciscor so angry.

He and Mutt had come into a small swampy area on one side of the Valley in an attempt to escape the watchful gaze of the Bludgeoners. They, as two-footers, had been suffering severely under Ulciscor’s terrifying regime of apartheid and labour. They had been unable to see their friend Nod, and were covered in many cuts and bruises as signs of their essential slavery. But Hyp had insisted to a trembling Mutt that these were nothing more than badges of courage. A Bludgeoner that had overheard the conversation had been impressed, believing this fighting talk to be in the name of Ulciscor, when in reality, it had been dead-set against.

Now, in the swampy area, they had found an ideal hiding spot amongst a tangle of vegetation which they could now use to eavesdrop on Ulciscor, who, to their surprise, had been right in front of them, completely oblivious to their presence, suddenly furious at a new-comer, a strange looking longneck with spikes all over his body. They had assumed it was Ulciscor’s dislike for far-walkers that was the reason, but obviously, it was far deeper than that.

Kai had just informed Ulciscor of his actions against the gang at the fast-water.

“You blithering fool,” Ulciscor snarled, cracking his tail like a bullwhip in anger. “You were assigned to protect my nephew, not send him plunging to his death! I trusted you Kai. You have always been useful to me. To think…”

“You don’t understand!” Kai was distressed, determined that Ulciscor understand. “He was dead set against leaving without the heir and the rest of them. They all wanted to stay and rescue the heir too.”

“Then you should have just killed them!” Ulciscor snapped back. “What’s the problem?”

“That’s what I tried to do!” Kai snarled, cracking his own tail now in his frustration. “But can you imagine his reaction? I told him of his purpose, and how he could have inherited the Valley if he had left his so-called friends. But he wouldn’t listen!”

“Well, he always would have been difficult to persuade,” Ulciscor agreed. “My sister and parents will have given him a corrupt and liberal upbringing, telling him it’s OK to mix with different species…” his face curled in disgust. “And sharpteeth…”

“I’m inclined to believe he made up his own mind about sharpteeth,” Kai replied bitterly. “When I told him I would have killed his Sharptooth ëfriend,’ once we had found it, he replied that he would rather be friends with it than go anywhere with me…”

“WHAT???” Ulciscor looked appalled. “OK…” he shook his head. “Your actions were understandable, but in future, persist. Perhaps he was resourceful enough to survive, but in that case, we must make sure he doesn’t try to escape his destiny. I’m inclined to believe he will try to find Bron. In which case, we must find Bron first. But of course, right now we need to begin our programme of…” he smiled. “Sharptooth extermination.”

Kai grinned a soft, evil grin. “I am ready,” he affirmed.

“Good,” Ulciscor replied, beginning to walk away, inclining Kai should follow him. “It’s good to have you back Kai. Running the Valley on my own was proving difficult…”

Once they were out of sight and earshot, Hyp turned to Mutt.

“Did you hear that???” he exclaimed.

“Yeah…” Mutt replied. “Umm…what?”

“Littlefoot must be the nephew Ulciscor was talking about!” Hyp continued excitedly. “He told us, the day he took over, that Littlefoot’s grandparents were his parents…and we already know his dad…”

“So…?” Mutt still didn’t follow. “They’re not in the Valley?”

“No,” Hyp replied. “They must have left to find Chomper…and that spiked weirdo went with them.”

“Did he kill them?” Mutt asked aghast.

“I’m not sure…” Hyp replied truthfully. “But…with knowledge like this, it means Ulciscor must have most of his private meetings here. If we can spy on them and get information…”

“But Hyp!” Mutt exclaimed. “What if we get caught…?”

“It’s a risk we’ll have to take…” Hyp insisted. “Sharptooth extermination…must mean many Bludgeoners will be in the Mysterious Beyond tonight, killing…it’ll mean less will be around to notice us having meetings…”

“Hyp!” Mutt was quite distraught now. “What are you suggesting?”

“I’m suggesting,” Hyp continued, a malicious grin spreading over his face. “That the time has come for a new rebellion.”

Seizon insisted that any sky-water that fell, no matter how small, was a good sign, but it did little to stimulate the pack. As they continued to trek East towards the Fanged Forest, hardly any of them said a word to each other. Pyron’s death had left a hole, not just because of how he had tried to hold the group together, because it now spelled out for them just how vulnerable they were. Was it even Seizon’s fault?

Lini gave great sigh as she looked around at the once heartened group, emotionlessly eating at the meat of the swimmer they had brought down earlier. Chomper didn’t seem to have any qualms about eating a leaf-eater this time, and Lini wasn’t entirely sure why that was. Maybe it was Saureen’s influence. Ever since Pyron’s death, Saureen had tried to fill the role of what Pyron had been to Chomper by always being by his side and consoling him whenever he needed it. She seemed to be doing a good job, but Lini could tell she still blamed Seizon for what had happened, not an easy thing considering how strong their bond once was. Seizon currently didn’t say much to them, as he continued to probe at flesh in the swimmer carcass. It was obvious he was deep in thought, possibly about his own responsibilities.

Even more worrying to Lini was Nycha. She had taken an extremely isolated role in the pack, sitting and sleeping apart from the others, and only speaking when spoken too, which wasn’t often. She had been an outsider before, and without Pyron, she was even more so. Lini had tried to talk to her earlier without much success – it was worrying to think about what may be on her mind.

And so, in an attempt to put her mind at ease, she had gone to talk to Al.

Out of everyone in the pack, Al seemed to be the least on-edge. It was obvious he was very saddened by the loss of Pyron, but his calm mentality didn’t seem shaken at all. He was currently, like Nycha, sitting apart from the group, clearly deep in thought, and Lini was curious as to what may be bugging him now.

“Hi,” she said cautiously as she went to sit next to him.

“Hi…” Al replied, still clearly thinking.

Lini was at a loss for what to say next, but she didn’t have to, as Al then spoke up.

“I can tell you’re worried about how the group might be able to stay together,” Al said. “And if so, maybe you should try and enforce it staying together.”

“I have been…” Lini replied, sighing. “So far, no luck.”

“I understand it’s hard,” Al said, turning to her and smiling in a comforting way. “But your attitude is extremely caring. If there’s one individual this can all open up to, it’s you.”

Lini smiled at that, and Al continued.

“Who are you the most worried about?”

“Nycha,” Lini said at once. “She just can’t seem to open up to many people, especially following what’s happened…and maybe Chomper as well…”

“That’s very true,” Al agreed. “But I think it’s important to keep an eye on Seizon too.”

“Why Seizon?” Lini asked, puzzled.

“He’s contemplating,” Al replied. “Contemplating on his role in all of this. Wondering whether Xal’s doctrine is accurate and who he should listen to. And my main worry is that he’ll continue to blindly follow Xal.”

“Why is that worrying?” Lini asked. She was confused. Al had hardly ever spoken of Xal before. “What makes you worried about Xal?”

Al paused, biting his lip as he considered continuing. Finally, he spoke again.

“Lini,” he said. “If I tell you something, do I have your word that you won’t repeat it to anyone? Especially not Seizon?”

“Sure…” Lini replied, leaning forward earnestly. “What is it?”

Al gazed up at the sky, his mind ticking over. Then he began.

“Remember when we saw Redclaw the other day? Just before we headed into the Cave Network?”

“Yeah?”

“And how Screech and Thud had said they no longer worked with him?”

“Yes…?”

“I know they were speaking the truth,” Al explained. “Because I know they now take their orders from someone else. To be more accurate, two other individuals. Two sharpteeth. One called Shark, and the other called Zyro.
They lead a community of sharpteeth, which generally resides in a large oasis to the north, and are determined to make life better for all of the sharpteeth under their care. Yes – this is allegedly what Xal wants, but Shark’s doctrine finds no reason to include elements of revolution and bloodshed or dominion over flatteeth in it.” Al suddenly smiled as his eyes glazed over.

“He’s fantastic,” he continued. “He is kind and considerate…always ready to approach a Sharptooth or Sharptooth family he thinks may be in need. Struggling with food, or territory, or whatnot. And Zyro is his right-hand man. In size, he’s smaller than Shark, but he works amazingly as well. And he can offer protection to troubled sharpteeth – almost like a bodyguard. They claim he’s agile enough to take down leaf-eaters in an eye-blink. Something that’s apparently useful, as they always try to kill their prey in quick and painless ways – generally food for others’ benefit, not theirs.”

“How do you know all this?” Lini asked, but she had a feeling she knew the answer.

“Shark and Zyro took me into their community,” Al explained. “Shortly after my parents were killed. They gave me food, shelter, hunting training…everything I could have asked for. And they didn’t try to get me to join some horrific revolution or war either. They were all about peace.” Al shrugged slightly.

“Having said that though, they had an ideological war against the biggest bully in the land. I’m talking of course, about Redclaw. Shark was always attempting to reach out to sharpteeth to help them escape the tyranny of Redclaw, because sharpteeth generally can’t find refuge in places like the Great Valley. This angered Redclaw, because he likes to have victims, as it were. This eventually came to a head when Redclaw directly attacked Shark about a Cold Time ago. The battle ended in a draw, and rendered them both comatose.”

Lini gasped.

“So that’s why…?”

“Yep,” Al nodded. “Shark was the reason Redclaw was comatose. This left Screech and Thud a little lost. In a rather sensible act, they pledged to join the Great Sharptooth Community. Zyro, who’s now acting leader with Shark in a coma, agreed. But they weren’t well liked, as you can imagine. Many of the sharpteeth in the community had been terrorized by those two throughout their lives. They even thought they were being betrayed. That’s why Zyro offered them a chance to redeem themselves.”

“What was that?” Lini asked.

“Espionage,” Al explained. “This is when Zyro began to discover the problems with Xal.”

“Problems?”

“He was a mysterious individual,” Al continued. “All that Shark had known about him was that he was involved in the Battle of the Great Valley several years ago, and ruled over a humble residence known as the Fanged Forest. Shark had even at one point sent a messenger to ask Xal if he wanted to be part of the Great Community, but he politely declined. But following Shark’s battle with Redclaw, Zyro began to notice strange goings on within the Sharptooth realm. Xal seemed to be rallying individuals to his cause, something that hadn’t happened since the battle. During that battle, the forces on both sides had been huge and had terrified the population. The longneck whose name I can’t place who was in charge of the Valley at that time was a monster, but it was feared Xal and his allies were going about the wrong way of dealing with him, becoming almost as dangerous. It was clear that both these forces were being mobilized, and, unless kept in check, would bring about perpetual bloodshed.” Al swallowed hard. “Things came to a head a month ago when Zyro had received word that following an attack by one of the radical longnecks on the Fanged Forest, Xal had dispatched two kids to go into a dangerous mission to the Valley. The kids were, obviously, Seizon and Saureen, and the mission involved retrieving Chomper…”

“Do you know why?” Lini asked earnestly.

Al shook his head.

“I’m afraid not,” he said. “But it must be something to do with his familiarity with the leaf-eaters. And Zyro was worried about this, and therefore requested that Screech and Thud tail Seizon and Saureen. They obeyed, possibly wanting to make a fresh start and a good impression on everyone around them. But they were aware that tailing the two of them would be difficult, as well as failing to be noticed. They are, after all, unpopular…”

“So…what happened then?” Lini asked, though she had a feeling she knew where this was going.

“I stepped up to the challenge,” Al replied. “I knew Seizon was going around, gathering a pack. It was to be comprised of sharpteeth my own age. It seemed the perfect opportunity. I could get information from inside, as a member of the pack, without Seizon being any the wiser, and relay the information to Screech and Thud. At first, Zyro wasn’t too keen to have a kid on the frontline of what was, despite his best efforts, inevitably becoming a war, but…I convinced him.”

“So…you’re a spy?” Lini asked, shocked. “For Zyro?”

“Basically,” Al replied. “When Seizon and Saureen entered the Valley to get Chomper, I informed Screech and Thud of their movements, which is why they had a run-in with them just as they left the Valley. I was unhappy to be moving towards the Fanged Forest because I knew it would be far away from my contact. Zyro had positioned the community around Threehorn Peak, so he could watch events unfold for the Valleians. But…I’ve lost contact with them.” He looked troubled now.

“So…I think that means the Valley’s been taken over, and Zyro’s been forced to flee. I doubt he would have abandoned me, though Screech and Thud I’m not so sure about…”

Lini still didn’t say anything, so Al continued.

“You have to be aware,” he said. “That I don’t seek to harm you guys. If anything, I want you safe from whatever hare-brained scheme Xal has for Seizon and Chomper and the rest of you.” He took Lini’s hand.

“Zyro’s safe,” he said. “Although he will fight if he has to, he wants to prevent war, and I’m sure he’s planning something that, in the long run, will benefit us all.”

Lini nodded.

“OK…” she said. “But Al…please give me time to digest this knowledge. I promise I won’t tell anyone.” Her head was indeed buzzing, but what he had said seemed legitimate. His secret was safe with her.

“Thanks,” Al nodded. “I just hope Zyro reaches us soon.”

The Rocky Heathland was a strange, fairly flat and neutral place. The horrific weather patterns in the Land of Mists didn’t occur here, and it was currently a resting place for two mighty herds that had now joined.

Old One reflected on this as she squatted down to rest her weary bones. It seemed that the merger with the previous herd hadn’t worked out – the residents of the Great Valley hadn’t been happy when one of their own had been nearly killed due to a misunderstanding of their culture, and to be honest, she couldn’t blame them. However, her current co-leader seemed to be trustworthy. He was, in fact, the son-in-law of her longneck kin in her Valley.

Bron stood beside her, scanning the horizon at the peaceful members of both of their herds, a smile creeping onto his face.

“Well,” he said, turning to face Old One. “It seems the merger has been a success.”

“Thus far…” Old One replied. “But yes, it may yet work.”

“Normally I find herds with common grounds tend to be best to merger with. Our common ground seems to be the Valley,” Bron replied.

“Yes,” Old One nodded. “Perhaps one day, such a visit may be in order.

“That would be good,” Bron agreed. He didn’t much fancy staying in this area for very long. Maybe he was more paranoid than he thought, but being here brought back memories. Once upon a time, he had been here as a kid, and had met the love of his life.

And her brother…

Oblivious to his step-father’s troubled mind, one small green longneck was crouching low to the ground.

“OK…” Shorty muttered to himself. “And…”

He erupted out of the grassland and on top of a pine cone that was sitting there, waiting for him. It was instantly shattered under his weight, and he stepped back with satisfaction.

A lilac-tinged female young longneck looked on.

“Impressive,” Ali chuckled. “You’ll have no trouble with the test of strength I see.”

“Quite,” Shorty agreed, flicking some on the debris away. “That Big Longneck Test is going to be a cinch tomorrow, I know it.”

“So we’re agreed,” Ali said, walking towards him. “Tomorrow, we both vow to pass.”

“Got it!” Shorty nodded.

“Hey kids.” Bron was walking towards them, looking, with some concern at the horizon.
“What is it d- Bron?” Shorty asked.

“I’d prefer you to come back to the herd now,” Bron replied.

“How come?” Ali asked.

Bron gestured to the figures moving along the horizon.

“Sharpteeth,” he explained.

Bron had once told his son that sharpteeth only hunt in twos and threes, but this was something else. There were at least forty-odd sharpteeth gathering along the horizon now, but they weren’t looking to attack the group.

One Sharptooth seemed to be the leader of the group, and he now stood before the rest, his scales an amazing collaboration of silver and blue, a fan shaped crest between his eyes, considering his issues carefully.

“What our task is now,” the sharptooth explained. “Is one I must do alone. I will attempt to communicate with these leaf-eaters and explain our position to them. Attempting to collaborate with leaf-eaters is something only one Sharptooth has ever managed.” He smiled slightly. “However, I’m hoping I can too…Thud, am I right in thinking that Chomper left the Valley with those two kids from the Fanged Forest?”

“Yes, Zyro,” Thud replied. “I saw him myself. Al had told us what Seizon was doing directly beforehand.”

“Right,” Zyro nodded. “I’m not too pleased with you abandoning Al in the company of Xal’s stepson, but I suppose, given what Ulciscor was doing at the Valley, we have little choice. But we will go back for him. And Chomper too.”

“So I should think!” a dark green Sharptooth growled. “I cannot believe I wasn’t told sooner that my own son was being targeted by Xal!”

“I’m sorry for that,” Zyro said calmly. “But we will get him back. Right now, I must attempt to negotiate with the leaf-eaters.”

“How will you do that?” a small Sharptooth asked.

“Linguistics,” Zyro replied. “In my time, I have picked up the ability to speak in their language. Until now, I haven’t found any reason to use it, I shall now however.”

“Wait a minute…” Screech’s nose suddenly picked up a scent. “Oh no…”

“What?” Zyro asked quickly. “What is it?”

“I smell ëem too!” Thud exclaimed. “It’s those Valley kids we used to chase around…”

“You mean Chomper’s friends?” Zyro asked.

“Yeah…” Thud replied.

Zyro’s face brightened.

“Oh, this is excellent!” he said. “They must be coming to join their fellows. This’ll work to our advantage.”

“You think?” Screech asked, unconvinced. “They won’t be too pleased to see us…”

“Believe me,” Zyro said, beginning to stride towards the longneck herds. “Once they hear what I have to say, they’ll be very pleased to see us.”

~0~

And finally, Zyro is introduced! First impressions everyone? And then we've got Shorty, Ali, Bron, Old One, Hyp, Mutt, Tetsugeku, Hoshia and OPAL. Wow...talk about getting things moving! I hope you enjoyed this or else I haven't been doing my job!  :lol

And I don't how many of your saw Al's own personal revelation coming, but there it is! Zyro is now one of those people set to be a glimmer of hope with all the horror of Xal, Gigas, Redclaw, Ulciscor and Kai!

Oh yes, and dear Topps and Thicknose...thoughts people!!!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Awww, so the Rainbowfaces are not Dr. Who and companion? :(
jk very nice to see them again, and know their names :yes

Aha! So we get to meet Opal - somewhat forgetful and dazed, but Opal nonetheless, I look forward to her realization of Spike as her son :3 mum-and-son bonding! Wheeeee!

Zyro seems like a good chap, definitely look forward to reading more about him. And it's nice that Thud and Screech are acting the good guys.

Once again, a bit of a mournful chapter, but still an amazing read :yes
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
I keep on forgetting to mention these things!

Zyro's species: Cryolophosaurus ellioti

Shark's species: Carcharodontosaurus saharicus

:lol

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
So, Opal's alive, eh? Can't wait to see how that goes with her and Spike! :DD

And it's good to see those rainbow faces again. Though I do wonder just how they got the gang out of there... but I suppose that'll be telling, wouldn't it? :p

Gah. Ulcisor, you really ought to just fire Kai. He's an absolute... er... I'll get back to you on that.

Mutt, you sneaky little thing, you... Hey, I'm a two-footer myself, so I'll join the rebellion with ya! :lol

Well, Zyro seems to be an interesting guy. I look forward to seeing what he has to say.  Oh, and I see Chomper's dad is there at least. I'm just going to assume that his mother's there as well. :yes

“What is it d- Bron?” Shorty asked.

Was Shorty about to call Bron dad then? If so, I found that really cute. :wub And it's nice to see them and Ali, too. I don't think yours is the first fanfic I've seen in which Bron's and the Old One's herds merge. I do look forward to seeing how things will progress with them...

Damn, every single chapter of yours is so great, Toby! Can't wait to see what'll happen next. Keep it up! :DD

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks!!  :lol: And yeah, the rebellion needs more members!  :lol

Glad you liked - I've just realised this chapter is rather family centred - Spike and Opal, Littlefoot and Ulciscor, Topps' woes, and of course Shorty and Bron.

Thanks, I will keep it up!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow! You really got things moving :DD So many new characters and so many new side plots. It won't get boring for sure ;)
Tetsogaku... wonder where you picked that from :lol Japanese by any chance?
Anyway, looks like he is the male Rainbowface we all know from 'The Stone of Cold Fire', eh? Opal we know already but... she's alive!? You better don't tell Ulciscor...
Loss of memory sounds like she'll be interesting!

Is Hoshia japanese as well?
So they gonna meet Ali, eh? ;) *jumps around in happiness*
I shall be accompanying you to join Ancient One’s herd.”

“Old One…”

“That’s right…” Opal frowned. “Sorry…won’t happen again.”
Nice name.. Ancient One :DD

Another new plot.. well, it's the first time we hear of them! Dorian Thicknose tries to prevent Topps losing hope and he does a good job at that :yes

Sharptooth extermination :unsure Uh oh...
Nice idea you had with Hyp.

So this is Al's Revelation about... He's a SPY! Though a friendly-minded one working for the greater good of all Sharpteeth.
So now we have three forces.. very interesting :wow
Now this is funny: While Redclaw joined Xal, Screech and Thud joined Zyro. So they work against each other, technically!

Bron as well? Gee! :D You insane thing, merging Ali's and Shorty's herds together, eh? :DD Oh, this is going to become awesome.. I know it, deep inside me!

So you wanna know what I think of Zyro? Well, he seems alright with good purposes. He he's able to speak leafeater?! :o

Toby, you left everything on a cliffhanger you evil thing! :lol: You should better upload fast :lol

Oh, and I see Chomper's dad is there at least. I'm just going to assume that his mother's there as well. in-yes.gif
Uhm, I rather think it is really Al's dad (yeah, he's dark green like Chomper's father)... If what you said is right, Al would be Chomper's bro :confused