The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Venatione Venatus

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Haha, glad you're enjoying the darker turn this is taking...and don't worry, Kai will get his comeuppance eventually...

But what will Spike do once his secret is out?  :unsure:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This fanfiction has been submitted for the 2013 fanfiction awards. Give the author some feedback and a rating for his story in this topic.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Chapter Seven: Into the Cave Network

It was strange, Spike reflected. Last thing he remembered was taking a break during a long walk, and snacking on every plant he could reach. Now, however, he was in a desolate wasteland, feeling drowsy…
He couldn’t understand it. And even more weird, he now felt a strange sense of desperation. For what exactly? He had no idea. Possibly his friends to be back for him, as he was completely alone, but when he saw a figure on the horizon, all he felt was an increased sense of dread.
This figure was difficult to make out, but looked to Spike like a longneck – tall, sleek and iron-grey, with a pair of dark, beady eyes fixed upon him.
Then it spoke – its deep voice reverberating through Spike’s skull like thunder.

“It’s a stalemate then…” it said. “You may be hiding amongst your friends, but we know who you are now. You may inherited Omendric’s Great Valley spirit of loyalty and courage, but ultimately, it will do you no good…”

This sounded horrendously threatening, and Spike was terrified. He was rooted to the spot, as the monstrous form of this intimidator approached him…

“Spike!”

The young spiketail was suddenly plucked from the depths of his sleep as he was roughly shaken awake by Ducky.

“Come on Spike!” she coaxed. “You’ve been sleeping too long! We have to go and find Chomper, we do, we do!”

Spike attempted to make a committal grunt, but the noise died in his throat and a chill swept over him when he saw Kai striding off in the distance, calling over his shoulder to Littlefoot.
Kai couldn’t have been the longneck in the sleep-story, surely? No – different colour and shape. And yet…he couldn’t help but associate that longneck with the rude one he now saw before him. For some reason, he was worried to move. He tensed himself firmly on the ground. He wished he had never dozed off.

“Spike!” The new octave that Ducky’s voice hit expressed her concern for her adopted brother. She tapped him gently on the side of the head.

“Are you OK, Spike?” she asked.

Petrie, noticing something was wrong, flew down and perched on Spike’s nose.

“I wonder,” he said pensively. “Did you have a baaaaaaaaad sleep story?”
Spike nodded dolefully, causing Petrie to fall off his nose.
“Spike! Get a move on!” Cera, who was following in Kai’s wake, called back to him.
Getting to his feet and dusting himself off, Petrie then said,
“Me think me know just the thing to motivate you.”

So saying, he soared up into the branch of one of the tall trees, and after a few moments, something almost perfectly round and bright orange dropped down at Spike’s feet. It was such an exuberant shape and colour that it took Spike a few seconds to realise that it was a tree sweet. But it was unlike any he had ever seen before – and if there was one person who knew his food, it was Spike. After sniffing it suspiciously, he found nothing wrong with it and immediately wolfed it down.

Wow! What a taste explosion!

In all his time of munching treestars, other tree sweets, grass, flowers, berries, various weeds that grew around the place, sweet bubbles and even bits of bark, Spike had never tasted ANYTHING so delicious in his life!

Fully motivated and his sleep story forgotten, he got happily to his feet and strode briskly away, the zingy taste of orange juice still the highlight of his mouth, and it was left to Ducky and Petrie to try and catch up.

“Now, listen to me.”

Tricia looked innocently up at this stranger, who seemed to be giving her advice. Not that she was overly interested. She continued to munch on the large treestar she’d been given.

Kosh put his face closer to Tricia’s.

“You’re not going to go wandering off into the Mysterious Beyond like your sister does constantly, are you? Are you? No, you’re not.”

Tricia looked at him sceptically.

“Come on now,” Kosh said sternly. “It’s dangerous if you go walkabout. You’re getting old enough to handle the Great Valley, but it’s still dangerous out there!” he gestured.

Tricia rolled her eyes at him, but nevertheless settled down to continue munching her way through the treestar.

“Good girl!” Kosh nodded.

“Erm…can I help you?”

Tria was walking towards the two of them, a puzzled look on her face.

“Oh, hello Tria,” Kosh replied, nodding good-naturedly at her. “Sorry – but your husband needed to attend an important meeting of the council, so he asked me if I could watch Tricia for a bit.”

“Did he now?” Tria looked a bit disgruntled. “He didn’t tell me about this.”
“Perhaps he didn’t want his face torn off in front of everyone again,” Kosh suggested, smirking slightly.

Rolling her eyes but ignoring this comment, Tria then said,

“Didn’t you want to attend this meeting?”

“Nah,” said Kosh smoothly. “Other than heckling the cowards and fools I have nothing to add.”

Tria chuckled.

“Like my husband you mean?”

“I wouldn’t say that,” Kosh replied seriously. “He may be a bit heavy-handed, but his heart’s in the right place and he’s a good diplomat. He can be a really inspirational leader.”

“Funny,” Tria muttered. “So was Ulciscor…”

“Who?”

“Never mind…” Tria replied quickly. Kosh nodded, and then continued.

“As far as I’m concerned, this issue you’ve got with Topps at the moment – what’s it even all about?”

“Well,” Tria explained, sighing a little. “It started simply with me claiming he was being a bit heavy-handed with Cera. Then, he started retorting at me that she wasn’t my daughter…”

This nasty sentence hung in the air as Kosh groped for what to say next. This was something new altogether – actually arguing correct parenthood over a child who had lost her mother before arriving at the Valley? No wonder she had been so distraught.

“I don’t see how she being your daughter or not should make any difference,” Kosh informed her. “Spike is not Mrs Twoped’s true son, and yet she treats him like one of the family.”

“I know,” Tria sighed. “And yet I’m not sure Cera wants to know me after all of this. I know our arguing has been upsetting her. It’s been upsetting Tricia too!”

She gestured helplessly at the small pink Triceratops, who was carefully tearing apart the remains of the treestar, determined that nothing would remain intact.

“Have your arguments just been about who’s whose daughter?” Kosh asked.

“No,” Tria replied. “That just started it off – they’ve been about all sorts of rubbish…”

“In that case,” Kosh continued. “If you can’t find any legitimate reason for you and Topps to continue arguing, don’t! It’s time you made up – if not for your own sake, then for the girls’.”

Tria gave him another puzzled look, with a slightly sceptical smirk.

“Oh, and you’d know about raising kids, would you Kosh? Very often, they go against what you’re trying to do.”
“I’m well aware of that,” Kosh replied simply. “Tria – I’ve been a father before, but I lost my children a long time ago, along with everything and everyone else.”

Tria’s expression changed dramatically.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she breathed. “I didn’t know…”

“Not many people do,” Kosh replied, smiling sadly at her. “By the time I joined this mixed herd, I’d pretty much lost everyone to drought – or the earthshake. There was still my brother – who then went off with Pterano. But I really wasn’t the best father. I loved my kids, but I can’t believe I wasn’t able to save them…”

Tria took a forceful stride towards him.

“Don’t blame yourself,” she said forcefully. “There was nothing you could have done.”

“Survivor’s guilt,” Kosh explained. “Gets us all. But even though I think about it every day, the Great Valley is what cures me. The way I see it, it’s a symbol of new beginnings. Showing that everyone deserves a second chance. It’s me, starting over. A place of hope – we’ve even allowed a Sharptooth to live among us! It’s the sort of place with the beauty, joy and community, that NOBODY should be allowed to take away…”

Tria could see a look of righteous anger overtake the old ankylosaur now, and she felt awed. Was this really how the average Valleian felt about the place? It definitely was cohesion in action.

“I guess the point I’m trying to make,” Kosh continued. “Is that everyone deserves a second chance – including your husband.”

Tria nodded.

“Yeah…yeah. Yes…I guess you’re right.” She seemed assured. “I’ll go and wait for him outside the council meeting place and talk with him. Would you mind continuing to watch Tricia for a bit?”

“Certainly,” Kosh nodded, and Tria went off to find her husband.

“Stop!” Seizon held up his hand dramatically.

“What?” came the irritated reply of six fellows.

Seizon grinned back at them.

“I think we’ve found it!”

“Found what?” Saureen was getting quite irritable now. “We’ve only taken a detour, what were you even looking for?”

“Take a look yourself!”

The six of them looked, and Chomper had to admit – he had seen caves and caverns before, but this was something else altogether.

What was ahead of them appeared to be a small mountain, though upon closer inspection, it was more like a massive rock monument, such as Saurus Rock. This however, had no clearly defined shape, though that didn’t take away from its impressive squatness, with a wide, almost flat top and many entrances to caves here and there, implying a deep-set cavernous network within.

“I’ve heard about this!” Seizon declared excitedly. “It’s called the Grand Cave Network.”

“What it is exactly?” Chomper asked uncertainly. Despite his trepidation for heading to the Fanged Forest and the infamous Xal, he somehow didn’t think investigating these mysterious caves would do him any good either – and if he, Chomper, a great cave lover, found this place rather foreboding and creepy. Anything could be lurking in those tunnels. But then Chomper remembered the sight that had forced them to take this detour in the first place.

“It’s exactly what it’s called,” Seizon replied. “It’s a Grand Network of caves! I’ve heard various legends and stories about this place. I don’t know how many are true…”

“Oh!” Saureen suddenly had a look of realisation on her face. “This is the network mentioned in the story of the Stingy Fastbiter, right?”

Seizon nodded, an insane grin on his face. Put him in the back of a car, and who’d need a plastic dog?

“Yes,” he affirmed. “The very same. Xal always told me such legends were based on fact.”

“The stingy fastbiter?” Chomper had never heard of such a thing. Then again, most old dinosaur tales he had heard were leaf-eater ones from Grandpa Longneck. His parents had only ever told him tales of their childhood. Apart from the Legend of the Hidden Runner, he was completely ignorant of Sharptooth stories.

“Yep. The Stingy Fastbiter.” Pyron laid a hand on his shoulder. “The story of a fastbiter who never hunted with anyone, because he wanted prey all for himself.  They say he also kept shiny stones in massive quantities in places only he knew or could access.”

“Wow, that really is stingy,” Chomper nodded. “But what does that have to do with the cave network?”

“Well,” Saureen explained. “After a flyer stole one of his stones, he had to find a new place to hide his hoards. He found the cave network, but ended up drowning in the underground river that is said to exist here.”

“So, it’s a ghost story?” Chomper asked, shuddering.

“No,” Saureen replied. “It’s a story that warns you away from greed and explains the dangers of the network itself.”

“With such a collection of death traps and such-like,” Seizon continued. “It would make a perfect fortress in battle.”

“Uh…forgive me, but what are you actually talking about?” Al queried.

“I mean,” Seizon said patiently. “That we’re going to claim this place for Xal!”

So saying, he began striding off in that direction.

For a few seconds, nobody moved, but then Saureen lunged at Seizon and grabbed him by the arm.

“No!” she protested. “We’re here to get Chomper to the Fanged Forest, not try to claim territory! Xal will do that once he’s-”

“It can’t hurt to have a look, surely?” Seizon said pleasantly, and continued his stroll towards the cave entrance.

Saureen just stared after him, an expression of mingled outrage, disbelief and exasperation on her face. Lini pressed herself forward and nudged her gently.

“We’d better follow him,” she said. “Make sure he doesn’t do anything ridiculous…”

Saureen just nodded mutely.

Once they had managed to hike their way to the entrance, they noticed Seizon gleefully inspecting what way there, which Chomper realised, with a thrill of horror, was a medium-sized longneck skeleton.

“This must be our lucky day,” Seizon said, smiling at them slightly unnervingly.

“Lucky?” Chomper gulped, almost gagging.

“How is it lucky, Seizon?” Nycha demanded, leaping atop the longneck’s ribcage.

The thrill of horror that Chomper felt was replaced by a sudden wave of surprise and confusion. Nycha was…agreeing with him? Since their scrap earlier, she had acted as though Chomper didn’t exist. After that incident, openly agreeing with him on something her beloved Seizon didn’t was like Redclaw playing Swimmer Splasher with his friends…

Pushing that thought out of his mind, Chomper’s question was answered by what Nycha said next.

“There’s no meat left on this carcass. It’s a complete waste of space.”

Of course, Chomper thought bitterly. If there was any meat on it, Nycha would be estatic.

“You’re not looking hard enough!” Seizon insisted, and then he pulled a rib off the skeleton.

“Watch!”

They watched as Seizon bit into the bone, and spat the broken bit he had bitten off onto the floor.

“Take a look inside!” he encouraged. So they gathered round (Nycha determinately staying away from Chomper and noticed a strange red substance within it.

“Marrow,” Seizon said. “The underrated food of the world.” He licked a bit of it, pure ecstasy on his face. “Try some, its sensational.”

And so, one by one, each of them tried a bit of marrow, and each of their faces became estatic and blissful. Lini almost hyperventilated with the intensity of the taste and collapsed to the floor.
Then it was Chomper’s turn.

“Go on!” Seizon coaxed. “It’s not going to do you any harm.”

Chomper was reluctant. But remembering how delicious everyone seemed to find it, he realised that it wouldn’t change the longneck’s status, and he was quite hungry…

So, he took the bone from Seizon and licked some of the marrow.

Oh…wow…

Chomper didn’t know whether or not to feel guilty that he loved it so much. He supposed that that was the definition of conscience – what hurt when everything else felt so good.

“Nice one!” Pyron said jubilantly, thumping Chomper on the back. “You see? You can do it.”

“Yeah…” Chomper nodded slowly. “Yeah, I suppose so…”

“Well, that’s great,” Seizon muttered, his expression suddenly changing. “I’ve just realised something…” he threw the bone to the floor.

“What?” Saureen approached him. “What is it?”

“This longneck didn’t just curl up and die here,” Seizon explained, his eyes suddenly becoming alight with malice. “Nor did his flesh go walkies…someone killed him and ate him. Someone who decided to take up residence in this network.” He took a deep breath. “I wanted to claim this cave network for Xal. And it seems there are people to take it from…a rival pack of sharpteeth who have made their home here!”

Saureen looked agog. She gazed at the skeleton, then at Seizon, the back again.

“Umm…well…” Chomper could tell she wasn’t prepared to deal with a gang of sharpteeth. She may be gutsy, but she wasn’t exactly a fighter. He felt Lini shuffle up closer to him, possibly to provide some comfort. At least she would be better suited to a fight…

“H-how do you know Xal’s people haven’t already claimed this place?” Saureen asked eventually. “The people who ate this longneck could be on our side.”

That was a strange thing to say, Chomper reflected. Those who killed fellow dinosaurs tended to be bad guys in his book.

“They can’t be,” Seizon said angrily. “Xal would have told me. Someone else must have the claims to this place.”

“You mean me?” came a snide voice from the shadows.

Ferox blearily opened one eye.

“Come on,” Xal coaxed. “You’ve got to get up. I’m pretty sure your wounds will have healed by now.”
“Even if they have, he’ll do well to conserve his energy,” a deep blue sharptooth countered in a calm but firm voice. “Xal, I think I can look after him. I am his mother after all.”

Xal looked distastefully at the elderly Sharptooth. Tyra looked back, still calmly. She didn’t care how much of a hero Xal was supposed to be – she was still perfectly within her rights to look after her own son.

“Actually,” Xal said, nodding. “You may be right. Stay there Ferox, I have someone I’d like you both to meet.” He strode off.

Tyra sighed.

“He really loves the sound of his own voice, doesn’t he?” she commented.

Ferox smirked.

“I guess so. But maybe that confidence will lead us to victory…”

Tyra shrugged.

“Well, hopefully. I’ll just wait and see…although…” she frowned slightly. “I don’t much like the look of this one…”

Ferox opened his eyes and saw what she didn’t like the look of. His eyes widened with shock as he understood exactly what she meant…

Xal had returned with a large Slashclaw, with a venom in his eyes Ferox had never seen. He scales were emerald green, and drool was dripping of his teeth that only matched the symbol of blood reflected in his eyes.

“This is Gigas,” Xal said. “He was involved in the Battle of the Great Valley. Gigas, this is Ferox, the father of my stepson’s friend, and his mother, Tyra.”

Ferox and Tyra didn’t say a word, but this just made Gigas’ malevolent grin grow wider.

“Pleased to meet you…” Gigas said, in a voice that was more menacing that either of them could have thought possible for an individual. Ferox and Tyra were staring at him as though he’d just dropped from outer space. Xal however, didn’t seem to notice.

“Gigas tells me he can amass a large army in order to mobilize our plans against Ulciscor, Redclaw and the Great Valley,” Xal explained. “I don’t doubt him. He has a very important role in our revolution.”

“What’s that?” Tyra demanded. Xal fixed with a steely glare.

“Execution,” he replied coldly. “If there is anyone within my forces who I deem unfit, he will dispose of them – effectively.”

Gigas nodded, still smirking.

“Yes,” he affirmed. “I shall be making sure this army is flawless.”

“I trust you will find him suitable,” Xal said, his expression unreadable as he turned and walked away.

~0~

Well, there you go! Now, I'll be honest - I'm not really happy with this chapter. I think it lacks depth, though to be fair, it was interrupted by some horrific holiday. I seriously hope I haven't lost my kick, cause that would be tragic...:'(
Please give me your thoughts, and I promise I'll try and improve next chapter.  :bang

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It wasn't that bad if you ask me :)

It's a little shorter I think but the depth was okay. Perhabs you're just not so happy with this chapter because the last two ones were brilliant so this one, which is quite okay, seems worse than it is in fact.

Anyway, the talk between Kosh and Tria was quite well-done imo because did two important things at the same time: continuing the 'disputes in the Threehorn Family' subplot and giving Kosh a (very interesting) backstory.
The scene with the Sharptooth Gang was quite okay, too. Chomper gets included more and more..

I just noticed you and Sleeping-force's-inside share a character's name: Tyra :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think I've mentioned before about music, and I can imagine a climactic scene (not saying what!) later in this fic having this soundtrack playing whilst it takes place. Because I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts, tell me what you can imagine taking place to this music.  :lol:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Whoops, posted twice...
Sorry, fixed, down below is ze chapter.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oooh, you lucky things...here's another chapter, not long after the last one!
A word of warning due to this speedy update though - make sure you've read the previous chapter before you make a start on this one, just to make sure you don't read in the wrong order!  :lol

Chapter Eight: Full Scheme Ahead

Chomper and the other six looked in the direction of said snide voice to see who had uttered it. There question was answered when a stocky Sharptooth around their age, perhaps slightly older, sauntered towards them, looking about as calm as he would be discussing the weather. He was stocky and lean, with distinguished chest muscles upon a tarnished raw-red hide, with incredibly stumpy which were even shorter than Chomper’s. It was obvious what he lacked with his arms though were made up by everything else – his short, brutish snout and a head topped with vicious looking horns, not to mention immensely powerful hind-legs which Chomper noticed not even Lini could match up to.

Seizon, a look of distaste on his face immediately sauntered over to the stranger, squaring off the way you would before a fight. Saureen groaned inwardly. This was not going well at all – they couldn’t afford to go around threatening aggressors, certainly not in caves and complex and unnerving as this one.

Seizon and the stranger were eye to eye, staring each other down. The tension in the air was so thick that you could have cut through it with a bone from the longneck skeleton. Chomper chanced a glance at everyone else. They too were on edge, as though they were prepared to strike if the stranger so much as moved a muscle.

“Name?” Seizon barely spoke in more than a whisper, but with the defeaning silence he didn’t need to speak any louder.

“Nott,” the stranger replied. “Yours?”

“Seizon.”

“Well, Seizon, you’re on our turf. This cave is ours. All its advantages and blessings are ours. I suggest you get out.”

It wasn’t a request. Chomper, feeling slightly sick, could see the saliva dripping from Nott’s jaws as he delivered this ësuggestion.’ It was clear he was riled up for a fight.

“And if I don’t?” Seizon countered. Saureen made a soft little moaning sound, grimacing as she watched for an aggressive retaliation from Nott. Nott however, smiled. Nevertheless, it was a rather demonic smile that went perfectly well with the horns atop his head.

“It would be a terrible shame,” he replied, his grin widening suggesting he thought the complete opposite. “But then I would have to dispose of you. Admittedly, your skeleton would go well with the one over there.” He gestured.

Seizon snorted with laughter, the last thing Chomper felt like doing.

“I don’t think you’re in any position to make threats,” he told Nott savagely. “In case you haven’t noticed, you’re outnumbered seven to one.”

Nott was still smiling.

“Well, that’s because you haven’t seen the wonderful massed pack I’ve got living in this dwelling,” he said. A chill swept down Chomper’s spine? Massed pack? He didn’t like the sound of that. Nor, apparently, did Seizon, who had fallen silent at Nott’s words.

Then, surprisingly, Nott turned away.

“I’ll give you ten minutes,” he said. “If you’re not out of our territory after that, we’re coming to get you. That’s a garantuee, Seizon.”

He strode back off into the shadows until he was out of sight.

Seizon turned back to his pack.

“Outside,” he growled. “We need to rethink our strategy. If he insults us, he insults Xal. There’s no way he’s getting away with this.”

“I thought you’d be at the meeting.”

Topps looked up as his wife approached.

“Well,” he said smoothly. “My throat hurts. Hollering at everyone can get exhausting once in a while.”

He said nothing else. Tria knew this strategy of old – Topps was always uncomfortable with bringing things up. It would be down to her to cut to the chase.

So she did. “Topsy, I think we need to talk.”

Topps chewed these words over – he was chewing a piece of fern as well, but Tria knew better than to take that as a sign that he wasn’t listening. Her dear husband always tried to avoid any awkwardness by some sort of physical repetition. That piece of fern he was chewing on looked older than Saurus Rock and Tria knew he had no intention of swallowing it. But chewing on it prevented him from looking awkward – well, that’s what he thought anyway…

“Talk?” Topps eventually said, dropping the dry bit of vegetation.

“Yes, Topsy. We can’t solve our current problems through more arguing. Please tell me what’s on your mind.”

Topps sighed.

“OK,” he said. “I’ll try as best I can. It’s like this.” He began to pace around slightly, occasionally gazing off into the distance as he did so.

“Cera’s growing up,” he eventually began. “The Time of Great Growing is nearly upon her – I know full well that the stiffness she’s recently been feeling above her eyes are her brow horns coming through.” He smiled reminiscently. “It seemed Trinity had a sort of recessive trait in her family that made them come through quite late. It was the case for all of my daughters.”

Tria didn’t say anything. She knew they had moved into sensitive territory now, with Topps mentioning his late wife.

“Which includes Rea,” Topps continued. “I’ve mentioned her before, yes?”

Tria nodded. “She’s your eldest daughter, yes? The one who had started her own family before the drought?”

“Yes,” Topps nodded. “She has two children of her own – Dinah and Dana. Ever since arriving at the Great Valley, I have seen her only twice.” He glanced at Tria, his eyes apologetic and sorrowful.

“I’m sorry,” he sighed. “But the last time I saw her…I told her about you. And I haven’t seen her since…”

“Oh!” Tria swallowed, but tried her best to put sympathy in her tone. “Please don’t read too much into that dear! It’s probably just coincidence…”

Topps nodded sadly. “But maybe I’ve just been feeling guilty about that – and how Cera’s all I’ve got left – from the original batch anyway. I don’t know how easily I’ll be able to let her go. And I know I haven’t been the best father to her. I don’t know what she’ll think of me when she grows up. Perhaps she’ll just move on and leave me…” Tears began to leak from his eyes. It was incredible. He had hardly ever shown this side to anyone.

“You’re being paranoid Topsy!” Tria strode towards him and nuzzled him gently.

“Cera wouldn’t do that! She loves you – you’re her father, and you’re all she’s got.”

Topps looked at her reproachfully.

“And what does that make you?” he asked.

Tria smiled. “I’m glad you think I’m a worthy mother for Cera. The truth is Trinity wouldn’t want you and Cera to be alone. Remember, we all knew each other once?”

Topps nodded and sighed reminiscently.

“Ah yes! Those were the days…”

“Yes,” Tria nodded. “And as far as I knew her, she wouldn’t resent you for anything, even if Rea does. She’d be very proud of how you’ve brought her up.”

“You think so?”

“Yes! She’s a very independent young threehorn. You will have to let her go eventually, but you would have to anyway. When the time comes, she will leave us with love and continue to be strong and proud, just like her mother. And you won’t be alone. You’ll have Tricia. And-” She nuzzled him warmly again. “You have me.”
Topps smiled, and the two of them shared a threehorn embrace, which isn’t an actual embrace due to manoeuvrability in large four-legged animals, but as they held their bodies close to each other, it felt exactly how any embrace would.

Mama Flyer landed next to them.

“You’re not going to believe this,” she said. “Some idiot told us where we could find the kids and left us on a wild fast runner chase back to the Great Valley. And now he’s trying to forcibly enter via the Hidden Canyon!”

On the subject of wild fast runner chases, the gang were getting nowhere fast in their hunt for Chomper. Spike’s sniffer, as Ducky put it, was all sniffted out, and despite the heavenly treesweet he had had earlier, his stomach’s rumbling was echoing around the place and causing vibrations enough to knock Ducky and Petrie off their perches – their perch of course, being Spike’s back.

Eventually, Cera turned around to look at the hungry lad. But said lad was surprised to see her expression was not annoyed, but thoughtful.

“Here,” she said. She led him over to a stream that had been parallel to them for a while. “Drink that up, and you’ll probably find a few water-greens in their too.” Spike didn’t need any more encouragement. Nor apparentley, did Ducky or Petrie. But as the four of them began to happily munch their way through this feast, Littlefoot and Ruby came over.

“Cera!” Littlefoot exclaimed. “What are you doing? We’ve just had a break!”

“Yeah,” Cera agreed. She bobbed for some more waterweed. “But it was a tougher walk than we expected.”

“But…” Littlefoot looked behind him. The tall form of Kai, oblivious to their pit-stop, continued to stride away.

“Kai’s…”

“Going off without us,” Cera finished the sentence for him. “But like you said, he’d have told the grown-ups if we hadn’t taken him with us. If we give him the slip now, we can continue this at our own pace, without him.” She said the last word rather savagely.

Littlefoot, at a loss for words, turned to Ruby to see what she would say about this. She, to his surprise, was smiling.

“Yeah! Good plan Cera.” She picked up some water-green herself. “Admit it Littlefoot – you didn’t want him with us either.”

Littlefoot sighed, but nodded.

“OK – but we’ve also got to work out how we’re going to find Chomper. I mean, by now he could be anyw-”

A loud roar drowned out the rest of his words.

In terror, the six of them looked up as a large pale blue Sharptooth came stomping towards them. He had obviously been drawn to this stream by the promise of cool water. It was his good fortune, and their bad fortune, that there had been fresh meat here too.

With a combination of strangled gasps and screams, the six young leaf-eaters turned heel and fled. With another feral growl, the Sharptooth began to give chase.

Littlefoot was surprised how fast it could run, and before long it was gaining on them. Frantically, he began looking around for something they could use to get an advantage over their blood-thirsty pursuer.
Then…
“That tree!”

The tree he was referring to was standing alone in this desolate terrain, with a thick trunk and several branches that would be fairly easy to scramble up. But not for the Sharptooth. In Littlefoot’s experience, large sharpteeth were not adept at climbing trees.

They all took his advice and began to clamber up said tree. Some of the branches were thinner that Littlefoot had anticipated, and he felt them bending under his weight, but he continued to climb higher, hoping that the thicker branches higher up would give him a foot-hold of sorts, high enough to be out of the sharptooth’s reach. Ruby, a nimble climber, and already made it to a thick branch of safety, and was now leaning down in an attempt to help Cera clamber up too, Petrie flapping around them, warning them to be careful.

So, large sharpteeth can’t climb trees. But this one clearly hadn’t got the memo. As Littlefoot looked down, he saw the predator grip onto the thick trunk with claws larger than was originally realised and began, slowly but surely, to shin up the tree. Gulping, Littlefoot attempted to climb higher, but with the sharptooth’s weight now pinned to the tree, the whole thing was swaying and creaking. This shuddering was so intense, in fact, that Ducky lost her grip, and began to fall, with a terrified scream, into the sharptooth’s open jaws.

Littlefoot tried to reach her, but Spike got their first. Even in his climbing gait he corkscrewed his entire body around and lunged down, gripping hold of Ducky’s tail with his teeth, yanking her out of harm’s way. The only trouble now was, the position he was in rendered him completely immobile unless he were to fall into the predator’s waiting gob, along with Ducky…

The Sharptooth continued clawing his way towards them and was just in the position to inflict a devastating blow when something hard rammed forcefully against its body. It was flung clean off and away from the tree, landing with a thud and an eruption of dirt about ten metres away. The six young dinosaurs in the tree got a good look at their saviour, and the recognised the spikes at once.

It was Kai.

Despite their previous misgivings about the longneck, they nevertheless cheered as he stood in a battle stance and the Sharptooth got to its feet, prepared to take on this new challenge.

It charged forward, and with an angry grunt, Kai swung his head like a golf club, allowing it to once again smash into the sharptooth’s side. As the carnivore attempted to once again get back to his feet, Kai surged forward and reared up on his hind legs, preparing to bring the front ones smashing down on top of it.
The Sharptooth dodged just in time, and deciding it was not worth the risk for a few juveniles, began to lumber away.
The children cheered and slid down off the tree near Kai.

“That was great Kai!” Littlefoot complimented.

But Kai didn’t answer. He was not done yet.

Without warning and to the shock and astonishment of the children, he charged forward at the sharptooth’s retreating back. The Sharptooth barely had time to turn around and defend itself when Kai swung his mighty tail, adorned with their fearsome spikes, and struck the predator hard across the skin, sending him careering further backwards, the spikes having scraped across his scales, sending droplets of blood splattering across the ground as the creature tumbled.

Slightly sickened, Littlefoot yelled out,

“Kai, leave it, its running away!”

But Kai had gone deaf to any reason. Even as the Sharptooth prepared to flee, he charged at it again, smacking it around with his tail and neck, adding more shining cuts to his collection of injuries.

From his hovering position, Petrie could see that there was strategy in Kai’s attacks – he was chasing the Sharptooth towards a deep ravine nearby. Upon realising this, he gave a gasp of horror.

“This doesn’t look good!” he warned the others. In response, they all charged forward to where the fight was taking place – or, to be more accurate, the beating.

But they soon wished they hadn’t.

With no other place to go, the Sharptooth was teetering on the edge of the ravine, covered in cuts, and with an almighty shove, Kai flung into deep into the chasm.
But it wasn’t just a random fling – Kai had specifically aimed for something within the ravine. Looking down, the gang could see some of the biggest stone teeth they have ever seen jutting out from the bottom, and a split second later, the sharptooth’s limp form had fallen atop the tallest and sharpest one, getting instantly impaled.

The point of the stone tooth jutted out of the predator’s chest as blood ran all over the place. The animal gave a strangled gasp, before his head flopped back, mouth open, eyes blank and staring.

For a few seconds, nobody moved or said anything. Then Littlefoot looked up at Kai.

Kai flexed his shoulders.

“Not a bad shot, I’d say,” he said casually.

Littlefoot heard Cera retch behind him, but it was barely audible compared to the ringing in his ears. Kai had said…what?

“I suggest we get moving,” Kai continued, turning away from the grisly sight. “I also suggest you don’t lag again – lest anymore damned sharpteeth attack you.”

“And lest you kill anymore…” Littlefoot thought weakly. He took another look down at the body of the Sharptooth – it was incredible that he should be feeling sympathy for something that had been trying to eat him moments before. But with a horrible jolt that made him want to retch too, Littlefoot realised that Kai could have just as easily, if not more so, done that to Chomper…

He exchanged a look with his friends. Their expressions all said exactly the same thing he was thinking. This longneck was both insane and dangerous, and the sooner they got rid of him, the better.

“Seizon! Forget them!”

“No, Saureen, they’re getting what they asked for.”

The five other Sharptooth stood in a respectful silence as these two ësorted it out.’ Seizon was being as stubborn as a rock and Saureen was almost crying with exasperation.

“What do you even hope to gain?” she demanded. “I for one am not prepared to deal with vicious heavies beating us up if we don’t get off Nott’s turf.”

“He was bluffing,” Seizon snapped back. “I’m sure of it.”

Saureen just gaped at him.

“I don’t think so,” Al replied, speaking up for the first time. “Someone does not have the guts to square up to a whole pack unless they have back-up. Besides, do you really think he killed that longneck on his own?”

Seizon knew he was hit with an unanswerable argument, so he simply changed tack at the speed of light. Chomper had to admire him for how well he did that.

“Do you have no faith in our abilities?” Seizon demanded of them. “Quality always triumphs over quantity.”

“I agree!” Nycha said earnestly. “Our pack works as a team. We’re strong and can’t be brought down by wannabes!”

Is this what she thought? Chomper wasn’t so sure. She constantly went on about how Chomper didn’t fit in the pack. Either she had had a change of heart, wasn’t including him, or, most likely of the three, this was another attempt to get Seizon to return her feelings.

If so, it was in vain. Seizon was still trying to convince Saureen.

“Last time I checked,” Pyron said, shooting a sideways glance at his sister. “Such packs like to weed out the weaker links…”

Nycha shot him a disgusted look. This surprised Chomper – he had the feeling he was being kept out of a loop.

“This arguing is getting us nowhere!” Seizon roared, and everyone fell silent.

“Listen – I know it’s bound to be dangerous, but if we nip this menace in the bud, it’ll mean one less rival group when we begin our revolution. I need to see how big Nott’s group is before I can even think about attacking – see, I am thinking this through.”
Saureen rolled her eyes.

“I, and one or two of you are going to sneak in and spy on Nott and his ëfriends.’ If he was exaggerating, we’re good to go and if he wasn’t…well, we’ll get to that if it comes to it. So, who shall accompany me?”

He gave them a second to mull it over, then…

“Chomper!” Seizon smiled brightly. “No offence meant, but you’re skinnier than the rest of us – sneaking around should be your thing.”

Chomper wanted to protest, but he could only gulp.

“Good lad!” Seizon nodded. “Right anyone else?”

“I’ll go with you,” Pyron said at once, stepping forward.

Seizon nodded. “Right. That should be enough. The rest of you stand guard out here.”

He began to walk back towards the cave entrance. Just then, he felt a drop of water on his snout.

“Ah, sky water!” Lini complained. “We can’t stand guard out in this!”

“Why not?” Seizon looked offended. Then he gave a blissful sigh.

“I love sky water,” he murmured. “The sound and smell of it is great. I don’t know why people hate it so much.”

He turned to Chomper and Pyron.

“It makes things grow,” he explained. “Provides water to drink – it’s a sign that, even in days of turmoil and trial, the world is still continuing.”

These words of wisdom left everyone else slightly non-plussed. Seizon didn’t wait for a response, and simply strode into the cave, Pyron and Chomper following him.

“Sky water…?” Chomper muttered at Pyron.

“Yeah,” Pyron replied, shaking his head. “Never knew he liked it so much. Interesting way of looking at things, isn’t it?”

“Mmm,” Chomper nodded. “What exactly did you mean earlier, when you said to Nycha about weak links?”

Pyron looked uncomfortable.

“Sorry about that…” he said. “I was just letting my emotions get the better of me. The way she’s been treating you is…horrible…”

“Don’t worry,” Chomper shrugged. “I can deal with it.”

Pyron shook his head. “That’s not the point – me and Nycha know what it’s like to be underdogs, and she’s denying it completely. I told you earlier that she blamed leaf-eaters for the deaths of our parents?”

“Yeah?”

“Like I said – denial. Leaf-eaters are not to blame.”

“Then…who are?”

A grim expression passed Pyron’s face.

“They did it subtly,” he muttered. “But I have no doubt that it was the leaders of our own pack.”

Chomper gasped.

“Yep,” Pyron nodded. “Trying to remove the weakest links. Slowly, but surely. And ever since that disastrous episode, Nycha’s trying to prove she’s not weak. I think that’s why she’s so attracted to Seizon – to her, he’s a strong young Sharptooth, who will lead her out of her dark state of mind.” He sighed. “Even so, it’s no excuse to take it out on you. I can tell you’re struggling still – why else do you think I decided to come along to Seizon’s little spy game?”

Chomper looked up, hardly daring to believe it. Pyron smiled.

“Yeah,” he said. “You’re not on your own mate.”

At that statement, Chomper felt a warmth spread through him, and he couldn’t help smiling himself. Maybe this pack wasn’t so bad, if it meant friends could come at him where he wasn’t expecting it.

“I think it’s here,” Seizon hissed.

Chomper started. He had almost forgotten where he was, but now he saw that him, Seizon and Pyron were deep into the cave, and Seizon was peering over the edge of some sort of crevice. It was so dark, it was hard to make out what was below, but he gestured for them to keep low, and so they did so, peering over the edge as well.

What Chomper saw made his heart stop.

Sharpteeth. A whole crowd of adolescent sharpteeth, milling around Nott, who was clearly their leader. And he was talking to them loud and clear.

“There are only seven of them. They shouldn’t be too much to be concerned about, but at the same time, it’s important to keep a close watch on our bounties here. They may have fled, but just in case…”

He turned to the biggest Sharptooth there, a jet-black behemoth who’s rippling muscles spelt doom in Chomper’s eyes to every single one of them, him being larger than any member of their pack.

“Torq, I want you out on external security,” Nott told him. “They’ll have a job getting past you…”

Torq grinned a sinister grin, his white teeth gleaming.

“And Yuti,” Nott continued. “I want you deeper within the complex, protecting our riches.”

The Sharptooth he was addressing was a female with a golden snout housing a powerful-looking jaw and a white coat of feathers adorning her head all the way down to her tail. Unlike Torq, she didn’t immediately look like anything sinister, but as Chomper knew, looks could be deceiving. At Nott’s word, she gave a small bow and began to walk away from the rough-looking gang.

“Uh…I didn’t mean now!” Nott called after, frowning slightly. “We’ve got to wait to see if they make a move.”

“It can’t hurt to make sure now though, surely?” she called back. She had a sly sort of voice, one that was trying to convince itself it was right. She didn’t wait for a response from Nott, and simply slunk off into the shadows.

Seizon leaned back from looking over the edge of the crevice and turned to Chomper and Pyron, grinning, which, considering the size of Nott’s pack (not to mention the size of Torq) was the last thing Chomper felt like doing.

“I knew it!” Seizon hissed in delight. “They have got stuff stocked here – he wasn’t just trying to show off…well, as well as taking this cave from him, we’ll also get ahold of THAT too! It might even be the shiny stones that the Stingy Fast Biter lost here that one time…”

“You actually believe that story?” Chomper asked. But before Seizon could reply, Pyron cut across him.

“No, Seizon,” he said sharply. “I’m sorry – I’ve gone with what you’ve said before, but not this time.” He was genuinely angry. “We’re horribly outnumbered, and did you see the size of that Sharptooth? We’re not risking ourselves here. We need to get out as soon as possible…”

“What’s the hurry?” Seizon asked casually.

“The hurry???” Pyron almost screamed at him. “That girl – Yuti – didn’t go off to check the alleged riches, she obviously smelt that she had unwelcome guests about!”

“That’s right,” a sly voice said behind them. “I’m surprised you decided to come and have a nose around so soon, but it doesn’t matter. We’ll finish this off quicker now.”

There was a lot of commotion around the Hidden Canyon. Not only had some stranger decided to waltz in through it, but he had broken down the boulder used to keep sharpteeth out. And now, he was standing there, in the pile of rubble, blinking absent-mindedly at the perplexed and angry crowd milling around him.

He was a longneck, but a very strange one at that – he was quite squat and stocky, and there was a large club at the end of his tail, which he had clearly used to knock down the boulder.

“What do you think you’re playing at?” Topps demanded. “That boulder is needed for keeping sharpteeth out of our Valley!”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about that,” the stranger replied. “Once we’ve integrated ourselves, they’ll be no need for it – we’ll provide the best security and bring an end to that menace once and for all.”

These words sent a slight chill up Tria’s spine, and as she did so she heard a small voice whispering in her ear. It was her common sense, and it was trying to tell her something she would have known at once if she hadn’t been so psyched about making it up with her dear husband. Those words sounded sweet enough, but if you listened to them carefully, they sounded similar to something a former Valley leader had once said…and this longneck had a club at the end of his tail, just like members of a certain brigade…

“Wait a minute…!” she yelled.

The stranger fixed her with a steely glare.

“I don’t have time to wait,” he snapped. “In fact – it’s finally begun…”

Suddenly, more club-tailed longnecks – or Bludgeoners, as Tria knew them to be – where striding towards them at all angles, creating a rough circle around the crowd – and circles don’t get any rougher.

“Huh?” Topps looked around wildly. “How did they get in??”

“Entrances from everywhere!” came a voice. They all turned to see Thicknose running towards them, but he came skidding to a halt when he saw the Bludgeoners.

He looked around wildly, his face contort with horror. He couldn’t believe it – how had he missed all the signs?? It was happening again…

Everyone in the Valley had been anxious to hear of news from where the children where, so when they flyers had returned, they had all gathered near where their courier had led them. This left Bludgeoners free to come out from all sorts of various entrances without being noticed – over the mountains were the Thundering Falls came from, the Secret Caverns, the forest at Saurus Rock…it was a full-scale invasion all right, and how had he not noticed…?

But of course, after the foot soldiers, soon to come would be the…

Thicknose, not even sure what he was planning, turned and ran.

“Stop him!” one of the Bludgeoners bellowed.

“No, leave him,” the leader replied. “There’s nowhere to run, we’re all over the Valley. It’s in our control now. Ulciscor will be here soon. And if he goes out into the Mysterious Beyond, Kai will deal with him. No – this mission has been executed perfectly.”

“What shall we do with this lot then?” the other replied.

“Get them to the Rock Circle, and we shall detain them there as we await further orders.”

Ulciscor strolled calmly down towards the watering hole, gazing around with mild interest. It had been long – too long – since he had been here. He also had some people he’d like to see.
And he’d found them.

“Well, hello,” he said.

Thicknose run around and full pelt, trying to find who he was looking for. He didn’t know quite how he’d manage to head Ulciscor off, but he knew he must. He was the only one Ulciscor knew.

As he ran towards the watering hole, he saw, with a sickening jolt to his stomach, the sinister iron longneck standing there, tall and imperious, gazing at two individuals who were gazing back at him in mingled horror and astonishment.

Grandma and Grandpa Longneck had unintentionally taken the long route when heading towards the Hidden Canyon to hear news of their grandson, and had come face to face with Ulciscor himself. Thicknose skidded to a halt. Ulciscor turned around to face him, his eyes wide and curious.

“Dorian? Wow – I didn’t expect anyone from the old days to still be here…I take it you’re the only one?”

“Yes,” Thicknose spat back. “Not least because you killed everyone else!”

Grandma Longneck gave a small whimper. This surprised Thicknose – sure, hearing about death wasn’t the greatest thing in the world, but he thought she was tougher than this? Ignoring this in face of the greater peril, he said hurriedly,

“Mr and Mrs Longneck, this is-”

“Ulciscor,” Grandpa Longneck replied, his voice flat. “Yes Dorian, we know.”

“What?” Thicknose looked around wildly. “But he was in the Valley before you-”

“I’m aware of that,” Grandpa Longneck replied shakily. “But you see Dorian, this-”

He gulped.

“This…is our son.”

~0~

Now, I've had to manipulate timelines a bit here, making Grandpa and Grandma older than Thicknose and all that, but anyway...
Talk about a revelation!  :blink: Hope you enjoyed, and let me know what you think. In this chapter, things are beginning to...err, begin, and for everyone, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse! I wonder what will happen next? Well, actually, I know... :lol
For those interested, here are some new species - Nott is a Carnotaurus, Torq is a Torvosaurus, Yuti is a Yutyrannus and the unlucky sharptooth who got on the wrong side of Kai (like he has a right side) was a Deltadromeus.  

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This chapter was to say the least surprising me plus you again wrote quite some cool scenes down :)

Seizon, do me a favor and DON'T PROVOKE A FIGHT!!! SEriously, I don't wanna see any of your great Sharptooth OC's die ;) I first thought this guy might join the pack but well... it turned out to be a wrong assumption.

I bet I know where Kai and the Gang are.. Kai (as I assumed knowing his backstory) didn't just fought this Sharptooth off, no, he even murdered him in cold blood, without any need!

And sooner than I thought the unavoidingly event happened: Ulciscor took control of the Great Valley again as it seems..
And he's WHUT!?! Grandma's & Grandpa's son!?! WTF :lol

I really enjoyed this one (well, I always say that but it's really true :P:)

It's gonna be even more exiting from now on I bet :DD
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
*gawk* that's just it *gawk*

It's not often I get so impatiently enraged and you my friend, with your beautifully executed plot twists and cruel characters, have managed it perfectly.
GAAAAH!

Heh, I had a feeling you'd throw a Torvo in this story. I had a Torvo charry for a while as well, may bring him back. Lol they are quite awesome :DD

I did NOT see that-- what is-- I don't even-- WHAT IS GOING ON?! Grandma, Grandpa, how on earth?! But you're the nicest denizens in the world, how dd--?!

*faints with exasperation*
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yes, I just chuck any old dinosaur I want in. I thought - Torvosaurus, why not?  :lol

And I'm glad you liked the little twist... ;) If like is indeed the right word! And you know what say - sometimes you get bad ones in every family. Why do you think Grandpa and Grandma have kept it a secret for so long?  :lol:

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, I see what you mean
BUT STILL :bang
Lol
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
I take it this twist is making your head spin, far more than the Spike one...

There are still more revelations to come, though as far as I can be sure, none quite as explosive.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Lol no sweat, I'm pretty tough ;)
PS Carnotaurs and Torvos are some of my fave theropods, lol
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Meh, they're alright, though I tend to love a whole range of theropods. Loads of species appear in this fic.  :lol

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
And here's the next chapter! It isn't really proof-read, so apologies in advance for mistakes...also, some language gets a little more ripe in this chapter. Nothing ridiculous, but a bit of mild profanity is used later. Apologies in advance again.

Chapter Nine: Turf War

Thicknose heard, but he did not believe. This was too much, after everything that had come before.

“No…” he said shakily, as though by saying it he could make it untrue. “No way – he can’t be.”

“Believe me Dorian,” Grandpa Longneck sighed. “We have wished many times he wasn’t…”

Thicknose stared at him for a few moments, before snapping his head in the direction of Grandma Longneck, hoping she may contradict him, but she said nothing. Thicknose closed his eyes.

“I can’t believe this,” he murmured. These two longnecks were some of the most compassionate and caring individuals he had ever met. They were mellow, easy to get along with, and treated their grandson and the other children so wonderfully…how on earth did they manage to produce this monster?

Then, the monster spoke.
“I’m glad we’ve got our introductions out of the way. And you know Dorian, I have always wanted you to meet my parents – just so you could see how completely blind they were. When I declared my intentions to set this Valley straight, they ignored me and just focused on my bratty little sister.”

“Saura did more for anyone than you could ever do Ulciscor!” Grandma snarled at him. “And we are determined to raise her son in the right way-”

“And yet you let him give the slip time and again?” Ulciscor asked loftily, fixing his mother with a steely glare. She didn’t respond.
 Ulciscor gave a soft chuckle. Thicknose had heard more cheerful sounds in a smoking mountain.

“I wouldn’t worry about him,” Ulciscor said, his eyes alight with malice. “He is quite safe, in the company of my most trusted ally, the stinging longneck – Kai.”

Thicknose’s eyes opened wide in horror.

“So…that longneck I’ve been seeing around the Valley…really was Kai…” his knees gave way and he collapsed. Littlefoot and the others were in mortal danger, and it was all his fault. He should have warned them…

He turned to the two elderly longnecks.

“Does Littlefoot know he’s got a fiendish murderer for an uncle?”

“Littlefoot?” Ulciscor repeated, sounding amused. “You mean Saura even gave him Bron’s old nickname?”

“It was better than naming him after her brother!” Grandpa snapped back.

“You know Bron as well?” Thicknose demanded.

“Well, yes,” Ulciscor replied. “We were the best of friends once upon a time. But it doesn’t matter what happened it the past. It is the here and now we must focus on. The Great Valley is mine again, and I have various tasks that must be accomplished. Did you know, for example, Dorian, that the spiketail brat who lives with a family of bigfaces is the son of Ronan and Opal?”

All of these revelations were making Thicknose’s head spin.
“Wh…what?” he managed to splutter.

“Yep,” Ulciscor nodded. “I was astonished to find out too. Kai doesn’t know this yet, but when I send word, he’ll know what he has to do…”

“NO!” Thicknose bellowed. He didn’t care anymore – the shock of what had happened was making him giddy and irritational. He pelted forwards. All he knew is that he wanted to slaughter this fiend, once and for all…
A pair of tails grabbed him and held him back. Two Bludgeoners had finally caught up with him, and were restraining him expertly.

“Too slow Dorian…” Ulciscor said quietly, as more Bludgeoners appeared to restrain his parents. “Now that we’ve got you where we want you,” he continued. “Let us go and find the others.”

The skywater continued to hammer down as the four young sharpteeth stood guard outside the entrance to the Grand Cave Network, in an act that was hardly necessary. The skywater had been the only sound around for almost twenty minutes.

Finally, Saureen, evidently bored of waiting, broke the silence.

“So…how do you think they’re doing?”

Nycha gave a sniff of laughter.

“They’ve probably already been caught…”

“If so, don’t you think they’d be coming for us next?” Al asked. Nycha merely shrugged.

“Well, I’ll tell ya, if we’re made to wait any longer, I’m going in there myself,” Lini said firmly. “Seizon may like skywater, but he’s not the one standing out in  it with-”

“Ssh…” Saureen said suddenly. “Quiet a minute…I think I hear something…”

Everyone else was quiet and tuned into any sound other than the skywater…and they heard it.

Footsteps.

Heavy footsteps. Great thudding stomps that were slowly making their way in their direction. And, by the sounds of things, only on two feet…

Lini gave a muffled gasp.

“Who…?”

The footsteps had paused suddenly, as though the owner had stopped to consider something. But then they continued, getting more intense, quicker, louder…

Saureen raised herself to her full height and took a great sniff of the air, but she hardly needed to. Only one massive, two-legged individual would be in such a hurry to reach them, and the scent she got coming from the direction of the footfalls confirmed it.

“Redclaw!” she cried.

She was absolutely right. Even with all the rain, the four young sharpteeth could make out the shape of the voracious tyrannosaur running at full pelt towards them, emitting and ear-splitting roar.
“Into the cave!” Saureen yelled at her comrades. It was the easiest way forwards, and the entrance was too small for Redclaw to enter. Sure, she didn’t much fancy what lay in wait for them within the network, but anything was better than this beast, surely?

Saureen stood back to allow her friends in first, all the time Redclaw getting closer. With seconds to spare, she dived in after them, squealing slightly as Redclaw rammed his head into the mouth of the cave, attempting forcible entry, but to no avail.

“You OK?” Lini asked as she helped her to her feet.

“Yeah…” Saureen replied. “But where are Seizon and the other two?”

“They must have gone ahead,” Lini shrugged. “I hope they’re OK…”

“Well, let’s go and find out,” Al said. “They’re not likely to come to us.”

Saureen looked troubled.

“Well…alright…but I still don’t like the idea of his whole ëup to the challenge’ ethos.”

The four of them headed deeper into the cave.

“Hey, Nott!” Yuti called gleefully. “They’re right here!”

Seizon immediately sprung to his feet in preparation to battle this loudmouth and whatever backup she may be getting, but as he pelted towards Yuti, she slid expertly to one side, causing Seizon to stumble and stagger. He righted himself quickly, but Yuti was ready for him. Poised perfectly on her toes, she was already right in his face when he had managed to stand up.

“End of the line honey…” she breathed, before headbutting the bladeback straight over the edge of the precipice and into the bloodthirsty crowds of sharpteeth.

“Seizon…!” Chomper yelled, leaning dangerously low over the edge.

Pyron grabbed him back.

“Careful,” he whispered. “I need to work something out…”

In the throng of young predators, Seizon was putting up a terrific fight. More of Nott’s minions were collapsing, howling in pain than Chomper cared to count. But numbers weren’t on his side – eventually, Torq, the enormous jet-black Sharptooth who seemed to enjoy tormenting others, had Seizon in a tight headlock.

“Nice one…” Nott grinned sadistically. “I want to take out this one myself…just to prove how sad and pathetic your little pack is, rockhead.”

At that point, Seizon did probably the worst thing possible he could’ve done then. He poked his tongue out at his aggressor. What a child…

Pyron shook his head.
“No other choice…” he muttered. “Sit tight, mate…”

Without warning, he suddenly barrelled into Yuti, who had been distracted by watching Seizon, sending her also careering over the edge, Pyron following. It was the last thing he wanted to do, but he should have known Seizon’s recklessness would have got him into trouble eventually, and he needed to protect Chomper too.

Yuti plummeted on top of a couple of sharpteeth, practically flattening them, Pyron landing on top of her. He immediately leapt back to his feet, and kicked forwards, him infamous sickle-claw slashing into Torq’s muzzle. Grunting in pain, the burly behemoth loosened his grip on Seizon, allowing said bladeback to wriggle free and place a well-aimed kick into Nott’s pug-like face. He then promptly back-flipped over Torq’s head, and he and Pyron began to fight their way through the mob.

As he headed towards where the precipice lowered to a slope to join them, Chomper was amazed. It wasn’t as if he had never seen sharpteeth fight before, but that was with adults. Seeing individuals his own age was an impressive sight to behold – but it also made him feel rather inferior in comparison. His heart wrenched a little. Or perhaps that was just a stitch.

He reunited with Seizon and Pyron at the bottom of slope and congratulated them on their performances.
“Now…what?” he panted, leaning on Pyron for support.

“Now,” Seizon replied simply, failing to hide a grin. “We run like hell.”

And for good reason – Nott and the others weren’t going to let them get away so easily, and were in pursuit. So, wearily, Chomper tried his best to keep at the pace of the other two.

“We’re going out of here,” Seizon told the other two. “I’m sorry – I should I have listened. Coming here was a waste of time, we’re getting the others and fleeing.”

Pyron nodded. “Just don’t do it again, eh?”

Seizon smiled back.

To their surprise, they weren’t having too much difficulty out-running the other sharpteeth. It seemed that this nightmare was over finally, and they could get on with their current task.
That was the plan anyway, but when nothing can go wrong, that’s when everything always does.

As the three sharpteeth skidded round a corner, they found themselves face to face with another four.

“Saureen!” Seizon exclaimed, catching her before she ran into him. “Come on, other way, we’re getting out of-”

“No, we can’t!” Saureen was adamant, her emerald-green eyes wide with fear. “Seizon…Redclaw’s out there!”

“What?”

“He came after us – there’s no chance of making a clean getaway!”

Oh hell…

Chomper could almost feel the cave walls constricting him. This was it, surely. He had reached the last full stop. With a murderous Sharptooth on one side and a hoarde of ferocious little biters on the other, there was no way out…

Seizon was doing some immensely quick thinking.

“Alright…” he murmured. “There are seven of us, and heaven knows how many of them, but we work as a team – they have a corrupt hierarchy. Turn around and fight as best you can. I don’t like it much either, but we don’t have any choice in the matter…”

As one, the pack turned to face its aggressors. Chomper flexed his shoulders and squared himself up for the fight. He didn’t really fancy his chances in this fight, but Seizon was right, he didn’t have any choice. Enough of cowering – he was going to face this head on.

Nycha made the first move.

She sprung eagerly into battle, latching herself onto Yuti’s head, leaving long cuts imbedded in her hide with her toe-claws.

Despite wincing slightly, Yuti still managed to swing her head down and throw the fastbiter off, but Pyron had zipped forward too, in an effort to defend his sister, flicking his sickle-claws forward too, which clanged dully onto Yuti’s teeth as she bit into his foot, and the two began a powerful wrestle.

Lini, meanwhile, had charged into Torq, being the only one burly enough to raise a challenge to him. The two were jaw-to-jaw, Lini emitting low growling sounds Chomper wouldn’t have though possible for someone as kind as her.

Seizon and Al had headed straight for Nott, and were currently attempting to use their superior arm length to get an advantage over his ferocious jaws and powerful kicks.

Chomper found himself squaring off against a rather large, sinister looking abelisaurid), glaring at him with dark, pitiless eyes. He snapped at him, Chomper skidding backwards and desperately trying to figure out some way of fighting him. Saureen came to his rescue. She attacked the abelisaur from the side, biting and scrabbling at him with her claws. He howled and shook her off, sending her crashing to the ground where she was most vulnerable.

Chomper didn’t even wait for the Sharptooth to sink his teeth into her, but pelted towards him and sunk his teeth into his flank, not even caring as blood oozed out all over his teeth and down his chin. The abelisaur gave a bellow of pain, but unable to shake him off, Saureen took the advantage to ram into him and send him smashing his head into the hard rock wall.

Elsewhere, things weren’t going quite so swimmingly. Nott was not succumbing to Seizon and Al’s slashes at his hide, nor was Torq relenting from Lini’s attacks. Despite giving the order for most other sharpteeth to go and protect deeper within the cave, Nott and his two lethal cronies seemed to be somehow outnumbering the pack of seven.

Yuti twisted her neck, driving Pyron into the ground before springing forward in an impressive manoeuvre, ramming straight into Chomper and pinning him to the ground.

“What’s the matter little biter?” she hissed, and Chomper could smell the foul stench of blood in her breath. “Never faced a challenge like this?”

Pyron and Saureen immediately attempted to remove this savage from on top of their friend, but this was easier said than done. Nycha didn’t spring to his aid, she simply went off to batter Nott, but this was all Chomper expected from her. If she liked the company of strong types, why didn’t she just join the savage son of tar pit?

Presuming Nycha could give Seizon satisfactory back-up, Al dashed over to help with the removal of Yuti. Sje was eventually shoved into the stone wall, which cracked slightly as she slid down it.

Al’s eyes widened.

“Of course…” he murmured. He rushed over to the cracked spot and wrenched a stone tooth from the cave ceiling.

“Certain parts of the cave are weaker than others…” he proclaimed, sticking the tooth with considerable force into the crack. Most of the wall crumbled away, leaving a decent-sized hole.

“Come on guys!” he yelled. “In!”

And so the pack squashed into the hole and they began to slide down a long steep tunnel. Nott, Yuti and Torq weren’t stupid enough to follow them in, but sometimes, Chomper reasoned, as the seven sharpteeth tumbled uncomfortably downwards, stupidity is the key to a lucky escape.

Ulciscor began his powerfully deliberate march towards the Rock Circle, accompanied by his parents and an old acquaintance. Though in their case, this wasn’t by choice, as they were surrounded on all sides by incorruptible Bludgeoners, who, at the single command of this iron-grey longneck, would slaughter them in an instant.

Thicknose was at a loss for what to say. Ulciscor held all the cards – the Valley was once again completely under his control, and he had done it so easily…not to mention what Kai had in store for the kids once news of Ulciscor’s takeover had reached his ears.

He wasn’t the only one remaining silent – Grandpa and Grandma Longneck were still in shock to discover that their long-lost son had just seamlessly taken over the entire Valley, when they thought him to be dead. Or, if they were painfully honest, had hoped him to be. They had heard of tales from the Great Valley in days of old about how their son had ruled the place with terror, and knew from personal experiences with him that these couldn’t have been exaggerated. Why else would they have delayed heading west?

“Here!” Ulciscor breathed, cutting across their thoughts. They had finally reached the Rock Circle, and the Valley’s populace was standing there surrounded on all sides by Bludgeoners.

Ulciscor strode forward and stood in front of them.

“Greetings Valleians,” he said. This was a mildly strange thing to say, as he was holding them all hostage, but this was how Ulciscor worked. To him, nonsense was common sense.

“I apologize for this rather brutal arrival, but it was necessary considering how some may be determined to work against me.” He glanced at his parents and Thicknose.
“I am Ulciscor,” he continued. “And from this moment on, I am the undisputed autocratic leader of the Great Valley, as I was some time ago.”
There was instant uproar at his words. Angry mutters and cries of shock were being thrown out at Ulciscor, but to no avail. At Ulciscor’s word, the Bludgeoner’s pushed the crowd back, slamming their heavily armed tails into the ground to restore order.
“SILENCE!!” a rather sinister Bludgeon Commander with a scar down his nose hollered as he forcibly flung Hyp, who had been trying to squirm free of this security ring, away from him, sending him off his feet and crashing with a sickening thud into the grass. That soon shut everyone else up.

“Thank you, Shock,” Ulciscor noted the commander. “I understand that many of you may not be happy with this new arrangement, but you’ll have to get used to it. And…” his voice suddenly became dangerous. “As you have seen, I will not tolerate any resistance. My Bludgeon Brigade will ensure that. But what they will also ensure are sweeping changes for the Great Valley. I promise you, with our intervention, the Valley will never be at risk for sharpteeth again. Nor will the world!”

There were a few interested murmurs at this. Obviously they didn’t realise genocide was what Ulciscor had in mind.

“We are also going to ensure segregation of species,” Ulciscor continued, a trifle colder. “No four-footers should interact with two-footers, for two-footers are inferior.”

Panicked muttering spread quickly, but Shock and his troops were quick to shut them up.

“It is a necessary procedure,” Ulciscor insisted. “Both groups will be put to work in fortifying the Great Valley, and will be rewarded proportionately. Soon, this work will pay off, and we can live in paradise.”

From the murmurings that followed, it seemed everyone wanted paradise. But then someone had to heckle.

“But we already have a paradise!” Hyp protested.

“No you don’t!” Ulciscor snapped. “What you’ve got is an illusion…” But when Hyp fell silent, Ulciscor smiled. Well, his mouth did anyway, his eyes remained hard.

“I don’t want you to fear me,” he said. “I am approachable, and natural-born leader of this Valley. I am the Lone Dinosaur sworn to protect this Valley.”

The confused muttering broke out again.
“What about Doc…?”
“I could have sworn…”
“They did say bad luck…”

Tria however, was watching Ulciscor, and the slightly drunken look of euphoria on his face, almost as though he were fantasizing. She was amazed. When Thicknose had told her about the longneck’s claim to fame, she had assumed it was just a ploy to get people to trust him. But looking at him now, it seemed very apparent that he had deluded himself into thinking this was actually true. He somehow believed that he was responsible for the presence of Saurus Rock. It was incredible…

“He actually believes it…” she whispered to Thicknose as he sidled closer to her. “I almost feel slightly sorry for him…”
Thicknose stared at her in amazement.

“Speak for yourself,” he replied. “And I’m afraid that’s not the worst part…”

“Oh, and…” Ulciscor continued, gesturing behind him. “I trust you’ve all met my parents?”

Things moved quickly after that.

The Bludgeoner’s began a task they poetically dubbed ëThe Preparation of the Trees,’ in which they stripped trees of their treestars and stored them in small caves or under the ground, declaring that they could eat once they had worked. They had even split the Valley in two, a long line of logs to show where the four-footer area ended and the two-footer area began. It was like a nightmare coming true – Thicknose’s head was spinning. This couldn’t be happening, not again…
There was no sign of Grandma or Grandpa Longneck. Evidently Ulciscor had wanted them somewhere close to him so he could keep an eye on them.

“This is absolutely insane,” Topps grumbled as he waited for the Bludgeoner’s to assign them their tasks. “Who is this flathead anyway? Who gave him the right-?”

“I hate to break it to you, my friend, but he’s done this before…”

“WHAT???”

“A long time ago…” Thicknose sighed.

“Well, he’s not going to do it again,” came a third voice. The two looked up to see Kosh plodding towards them. His face was contort with determination.

“This is the Great Valley,” he said. “The most beautiful fertile land in the world, one that’s always welcomed strangers and allowed us to live in harmony. I for one will not stand while it’s abject to a complete corruption of its purpose. Maybe the real Lone Dinosaur will come and save us from this impostor eventually, maybe not. But I don’t want to wait around.”

Topps nodded.

“I like the way you’re talking clubtail,” he said. “But do you have a plan?”

“Well, these rocks we’re using the reinforce the Valley could be put to better uses, if you know what I mean…” Kosh replied, smiling slightly.

“Yes,” Thicknose agreed enthusiastically. “And whilst you’re taking care of the Bludgeoner’s here, Kosh, we’ll take down that divide.”

The other two looked at him.

“So you’re in this too, Thicknose?” Topps asked.

Though terrified at this prospect, Thicknose nodded.

“Just try and stop me,” he said.

It was as if the moment had been caught in a freeze-frame.

Dinosaurs were working all around them, the Bludgeoner’s keeping a close watch. Kosh had volunteered to roll and large rock up higher on the Great Wall where it was needed, but was stood still up there, waiting…

Thicknose and Topps were standing by the divide. It was a risky activity being this close, but fortunately they weren’t being watched too closely.

Kosh flexed himself as some Bludgeoners walked by. Then he rammed the rock with his head.

It came tumbling down and knocked the longnecks apart like skittles, before they thudded to the ground. This was the signal the other two needed – they immediately rammed into the divide, shattering the twigs and bark that made it up, and sending large logs rolling haphazardly away.

“Stop!” one of the Bludgeoner’s had managed to clamber to his feet, but Topps charged straight into him anyway, lodging his horns into his front legs and sending him once again crashing to the ground.

Thicknose had rushed over to aid Kosh with the flinging of the rocks, stopping many Bludgeoners in their tracks. Once he had run out of rocks, Kosh simply leapt down and was battling the oppressors tail-to-tail, landing well-aimed blows that many could not get up from. With Topps and Thicknose helping, the area was soon pretty much devoid of Bludgeoners.

“And now,” Kosh continued, gritting his teeth, his eyes alight. “For Ulciscor!”

Topps and Thicknose cheered their approval before racing off after him. They completely ignored the one calling after them.

“Topsy!” Tria was horrified. She knew how dangerous Ulciscor was, and yet these daredevils were challenging him anyway. She couldn’t believe her husband. Perhaps their differences were not quite settled after all.

The three-man coup was soon cut short.

Upon finding Ulciscor and charging at him, Kosh, Topps and Thicknose were met by a huge and impenetrable wall of Bludgeoners. As the massive dinosaur muscles collided, the stocky longnecks pushed back against the rebels, eventually pinning Thicknose to the ground.

“Bastard!” Topps yelled, attempting to ram one of them. Soon though, he too was restrained.

But Kosh wasn’t going down yet.

Parting the battering squad with his mighty tail, he surged right through them and to the one he wanted to get at most of all. Before Ulciscor could react, Kosh had swung around, and, with a mighty roar, landed a crushing blow with his clubbed tail right into the longneck’s side.

It was a heroic gesture, but with virtually no effect. Ulciscor had grunted in pain and staggered slightly, but had then retaliated with a ferocious slap of his own tail, throwing Kosh into the air and landing with a bone-rattling thump onto his back, where the Bludgeoners restrained him.

“Gather everyone,” Ulciscor snapped, his eyes practically popping with his rage. “We have something to show them.”

The divided crowd stood anxiously as they observed the three rebels, restrained by vines and heavily guarded by Bludgeoners. All three looked severely bruised, as though they had been recently beaten up.

“These three fiends have tried to disturb our peace,” Ulciscor spat, pacing up and down before the leaf-eaters. “They organised a thankfully unsuccessful coup against me. It was a cowardly act.”

Nobody dared contradict him. They were two worried to see what fate would befall the ones brave enough to fight back.

“Because it is early days for my reign,” Ulciscor continued. “I have decided to be merciful. Dorian and Threehorn – you shall be imprisoned, which means you shall be confined within the Secret Caverns until further notice. However…” His gaze was now fixed unwaveringly on Kosh.

“The ringleader needs a harsher sentence. One that suits scum like him, one that’ll teach the rest of you never to defy me.” Kosh just glared back.

“I have decided,” Ulciscor said, failing to hide the glee in his voice. “That you shall be executed – basically, you will be sentenced to death.”

The crowd gasped in horror and terrified mutterings quickly broke out.

“Silence!” Ulciscor bellowed. “And you will all witness it.”

Kosh was brought forward before Ulciscor, still restrained by the Bludgeoners.

“Anything to say?” the longneck demanded.

“Yes,” Kosh replied, reckless courage taking over him. “Even when you are gone, the Valley will continue forever, and so will its spirit. You will never take it away from us, for we are proud of who we are. You, on the other hand, who carries the name of the Lone Dinosaur and the Great Valley is not even worthy to speak them.” Just to finish off, he then spat on the ground at Ulciscor’s feet.

Ulciscor was livid. In a fit of rage, he flipped Kosh over onto his back with his tail, and Kosh made no move to get back up.

“Stand back!” he snapped at the Bludgeoners. “I shall do it myself.”

“Valleians!” Kosh cried. “Brothers and sisters! Never give up! Continue the struggle for everyone’s sake!”

Ulciscor reared up onto his hind legs.

Kosh gazed up at the sky, and a single tear welled up into his eye and began to fall down his nose.
“My dear Cephi, and my wonderful children…” he thought. “I shall be joining you soon…”

Ulciscor’s front legs stamped down.

The blood flew upwards as the ribs cracked.

The crowd screamed and gasped.

And then, as Ulciscor walked away, the leaf-eaters of the Great Valley were left staring at the body of the old ankylosaur, who had risked himself for what he believed in, forever lying in his final resting place as his blood continued to trickle into the ever-fertile soil.

~0~

:cry Alas, poor Kosh, I knew him Horatio...
Ahem. Now, I wasn't originally planning to kill this guy off, but when I had this coup planned in my head I realised Ulciscor wouldn't let them all get off so lightly. Needing Thicknose and Topps for later bits in both this story and the sequel, I realise the dear clubtail would have to take one for the team. :( And so, I wrote him out.  ;) And he won't be the last...I hope you like the way I right death scenes...maybe I can make you weep next time!!!  :exactly

Also, how do you like how I write battle scenes? If you have any advice on how to improve, I'd be glad to hear them! And these other sharptooth characters? Give me all of your thoughts and thanks for reading!  :yes

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Another great chapter, Toby! :yes

Aw crap, seems it's starting to be a repeat of a bad part of the Great Valley's past. Dammit Ulciscor! :bang I guess now the current Great Valley residents can now see just how bad he is, now that he's gone and killed Kosh in front of everyone. :p Don't blame him for trying to start a rebellion, though.

And I STILL need to get it into my head that Ulciscor is Grandma and Grandpa's son. :blink: I honestly feel like Thicknose.

I thought the fight scene was pretty good. There were a lot of moments where I thought 'uh oh.' No, not Redclaw too! :o

I did notice a few mistakes, but I'm sure that can be resolved with the good ol' proof-reading. It wasn't really anything major, though.  :p

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks. And I'm too lazy to proof-read sometimes... :p