The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

One Long RP...

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm in, too!  Dante, and Syler are in on this!  Kireek, too, as a bad guy.
Ressentiment+Bleeding Heart....This should be interesting...

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Hmm. Combat/action-adventure... I'll think about it but if I join here's who will be present (all from Twilight Valley, I did not create them solely for this RP):

Allies:

Deimos (he is a sharptooth, if that is not okay I'll change his species)
Ovius (Fast-Runner)
Hadros (Swimmer)

Enemies:

Red-Eye
Dromaeo
Procella

On a side note, what's the tech level?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Glad to have you aboard Serris! As for the Tech level, sticks, stones, and axes will be allowed.

And now the show can begin, although with the current lack of FC's being played, I suppose they can be used as needed. So let the games begin!

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Mar 10 2009 on  11:12 AM
Glad to have you aboard Serris! As for the Tech level, sticks, stones, and axes will be allowed.
I assume by "axes" you mean Stone Age weaponry. I guess fire is ruled out.

Are poison darts and a blowgun or sling launched stones acceptable?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess if stone axes are then all forms of stone tech would be, including wood technology, wood & stone knives, spears, and so forth.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Actually, I'll replace Hadros with Raptix (Fast-Biter).

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I hadn't considered fire to be a weapon, but if anyone can form it into a weapon without setting the rest of the valley on fire, then sure. As for rock sling launchers yeah those are acceptable, as are the poison darts and blowguns.

And as a side note, when the need arises, I will be giving away plot points as the RP progresses.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ok, guess I'll look at an rpg book I have of low tech stuff and pick out what Mim, or any other char I may use, may have.

Edit: I looked in it and found more then I thought of.  I suspected they had access to at tech level 0 (stone age) baskets, clay pots, but forgot about needles, some armor, shields, spear throwers, the same equivalent for javelins, boats, swords, gourds to hold water, rope, clothing, thread, shovels, adze, bow drill, spindle, short bow,

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I gave the dinosaurs in my fan fiction crude stone weaponry (spears, knives, war hammers, axes). I also gave them calabashes, fire (started by using flint).

I'm not sure if giving them the other tech is a good idea (clay pots and baskets might be okay).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't forget hollowed out gourds to hold water and similar, that is certainly stone age tech.  Unless the gm wants to put in limits.  I'll think it over and list what, besides gourds, that Mim may have.  Maybe some crude clothing she wears during the cold times, and snow shoes made with bent branches and some woven plant fibers.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmmm....these new ideas have made me think a little. Having stone aged items such as using a cracked open stone or fruit like a coconut as a bowl would be fine. As stated before, weapons are alright including stone axes and spears.

When I was developing this story I was thinking of using armor but abandoned the idea, as it just wasn't practical, or useful as everyone who would be fighting would most likely be using their claws.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Gurps low tech does mention stuff like wooden shields, cane armor, that they list as stone age tech.  The equivalent could exist in lbt.  up to you, I just put out some of what the Gurps book had listed to give some folks a starting point to think about.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmmm....well after two and a half days of deliberating, I've come to a decision...I'm holding a poll! :DD Seems I can't post a poll...or maybe the I'm just having internet trouble again...I dunno.

Either way the poll would've looked something like this:

Weapons, should they be used?

1. yes

2. no

It was that simple...so just let me know what you all think!

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Personally, I don't see why not. Even Chimpanzees have been known to use weapons. And if these dinosaurs are in the Stone Age, then why wouldn't they?

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 For some reason, I cannot see LBT dinosaurs waging a war in the ways we humans can do. I agree they could use tools and even levers if that can help save an unfortunate dinosaur. It is my thinking that the only way we can see battles are like those in the movies, but not a war between entire valleys unless they are due to a huge migrations and intrusion of foreign species that have happened in our world (due to the seek of surviving only), specially since our own intervention in the planet.
 I think LBT dinosaurs fight only by instinct, a war can be kind of implausible, but still it is intriguing and interesting if well done I agree with that, but I am not comfortable with the idea to make them use weapons like we could do, and even thoug, LBT has taught us that there are always means to reach a solution by understanding... we don't get to see that much against sharpteeth, but there are exceptions, like Chomper and his parents.
 In the fanfic this rpg is based on, there is a big conflict, but it is a war of will and the natural weapons of the body.
 That is my opinion, but I will respect the GM's decision, after all it is GVG's rpg.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I do understand that, but the stone age, can mean a variety of different things in terms of billions of years. And when I think of weapons and dinosaurs I tend to remember that most dinosars had their natural weapons on their bodies to begin with like teeth and clubs on their tails and spikes on their backs.

Now while I do understand that some dinosaurs didn't have any weapons to speak of, most of the docile plant based ones stayed in massive herds emphasizing the 'safety in numbers concept'.

I'll leave the 'poll' open for others to comment on, but I as a regular player vote no.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally vote for something in between.  Improvised weapons, yes.  By that, I mean tree branches and suchlike.  Dante's tree branch sword is a good example.  I mean, even dinosaurs, especially ones as smart as the LBT ones, would be able to figure out that something like a branch to the head hurts.  Therefore, yes to things that are lying around, but nothing like blowguns.
That sound okay?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Improvised maybe for some who have no natural weapons, like the staff from a treebranch, or if it's shorter treated like shortstaff or sword, depending on how it's held.  Not sure about weaving baskets, spear with a stone tip, but a branch could have been found that is broken off at a point or could be broken off if the branch isn't to thick.  

As for polls you maybe have to start a new thread to do a poll maybe.  Maybe ask Nick22 since I think he's an admin in charge of rp's, or any other handy admin about that.

I'm not sure about all out war sort of thing.  Up to the gm but it seems a bit alien to the lbt way of doing things.   Though they have fought before, not in an ordered military sort of fashion like humans do.  It seems usually to have been to drive off the sharpteeth, & the sharpteeth not being in a huge group since that would mean more mouths that would be competing and less meat each one would get.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about all out war sort of thing. Up to the gm but it seems a bit alien to the lbt way of doing things. Though they have fought before, not in an ordered military sort of fashion like humans do.

In the fanfic this rpg is based on, there is a big conflict, but it is a war of will and the natural weapons of the body.

I can assure all of you here that there will be no 'war' so to speak. There will be fights both virbal and physical, but no all out war type fighting. And chiletrek is right about that statement.

Improvised maybe for some who have no natural weapons, like the staff from a treebranch, or if it's shorter treated like shortstaff or sword, depending on how it's held. Not sure about weaving baskets, spear with a stone tip, but a branch could have been found that is broken off at a point or could be broken off if the branch isn't to thick.

I do suppose improvised weapons would work for certain occasions, but things like blowguns, sheilds and such will be forbidden. However using such things as leaves to carry items like berries and fruits, and hollowed rocks for carrying water will be allowed.

As for polls you maybe have to start a new thread to do a poll maybe. Maybe ask Nick22 since I think he's an admin in charge of rp's, or any other handy admin about that.

I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks Kor! :yes

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay...this one is more for me than anything else. But I am introducing 'Plot Points' into this discussion thread. We don't need to follow them in any particular order, but for the moment I'll only be naming three at a time...just to keep it easy.

ï Cyrix's Neglect- Cyrix begins to spend more time with Mim, and begins to spend less and less time with his nephew.

ï Grown-up's distrust- The elders in the valley begin to distrust Longtail more and  more, fearing that he is the one bringing Bleeding Heart and his fastbiter cronies into the valley. They begin to isolate him from Littlefoot and his friends.

ï A never ending storm- At some point a storm cloud taking the shape of a hurricane storm cloud appears over the valley and unleashes severe weather from rain to lighting, and even mud slides and sink holes. This only further causes the valley residents to distance themselves from Longtail.

Again these don't have to follow a particular order, and if you all have any ideas of your own feel free to discuss them here.