The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT and D&D!

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There are not many role playing games that are done through a forum that I really enjoy. The only two I can think of are LBT ones and those that follow the formula of RPG video games. I was thinking that, maybe I could try combining the two for a new RPG here. Through the fan fiction section here, I already have a pretty big idea that fantasy and the LBT is not well-received when combined. Still, I thought I should at least try. No matter the odds, when they exist, give it a go, right?

You guys know how role playing video games work, right? A large portion of them have classes, various abilities, magic creatures, a looming evil, and so forth. Sometimes, people play these with a book, like the new pen and paper RPG I bought, Anima. Well, these types of role playing games can work on forums as well, especially: Dungeons & Dragons. However, in keeping with the spirit of the forum, I am not proposing we simply start a D&D role play here. No, I was wondering about a LBT role playing game that plays out in a D&D fashion. Totally disturbed? I don’t blame you. Still, please allow me to elaborate.

Can you imagine Littlefoot as a bard, singing songs to disrupt enemy attacks? Or Ducky as a cleric, healing wounds and banishing darkness? It’s not as farfetched as it seems. Many LBT fan fictions I’ve read have ample fighting, so this is not unpopular. Now then, you all must be thinking, “Uh, that doesn’t fit into the LBT universe at all, dude.” Well, I am a writer, after all. I can pull a few strings so it will. I mean, I did write a LBT trilogy where the gang gets powers while making it completely canon, fitting into the storyline of the movies completely and explaining why everything was the way it was. The seventh movie does leave a lot of room for mystical possibilities. Then we get to the peaceful nature of the kids, making a fighting role playing game out of character. Well, even the most peaceful kids can get down to business when their world, or perhaps just their families, are threatened.

One thing I would not have in this are weapons. This is already a stretch, so Littlefoot wielding the Sovereign Battleaxe of the Morning Star in his mouth, or Ruby carrying The Rending Staff is just going too far, really. All fighting would be based around class abilities and whatever that dinosaur could naturally do. Now, what about those of you who don’t know about D&D? Never fear! I know enough to answer any questions and can find the answers for things not known off hand easily enough. Although, I will do a lot of explaining at the start, so few questions should be needed. For those who do know about D&D, I will definitely not be using alignments. I want the characters’ real personalities used, and if someone playing Spike chooses the Chaotic Evil alignment, well, even non D&D fans know where I’m going with that. Because I would start this, I would keep the main story progressing, the Dungeon Master, as D&D and other players call it.

I feel that leveling up would make this too complicated. Slight increases in strength and wisdom and whatnot is too hard to keep tabs on when role playing on a forum instead of using pen and paper with an RPG while being in a room together. I mean, really, can you imagine how complicated leveling would be through the forum style?

Cera, angered by the foul beast who had knocked Littlefoot out, rubbed her front foot back and forth on the ground. He taunted her with a Fire Ball that almost hit her, so in a blind rage, she used her Feral Chrage ability and dashed at him with full speed. He barely felt the attack, laughing at her weakness, and, having grown bored, summoned a Wood Sprite. Cera increased her durability and braced for the attack. The Wood Sprite fired a forceful beam of Radiant Dust, which filled Cera’s nostrils, and her sneeze knocked her back a great distance. She knew that little thing couldn’t take much, so she acted dazed, luring the creature in closer. When it was in range, she took a deep breath, knowing full well what pain she was in for. She reared up, using Body Slam, hitting the Wood Sprite and getting a critical hit! It faded away almost instantly as Cera took the recoil damage of her powerful attack. Suddenly, Cera began to glow and energy pulsed through her body. She had gained a level, finally! Turning back to the unknown beast with a furious glare, she Feral Charged him again, and with her new strength, managed to knock him to the ground.

That may sound like it worked well, but trying to monitor multiple power gains with new outcomes over several characters would just be too overwhelming, so no leveling. However, I am all for learning new abilities over time. No fun starting with everything. The heroes can learn new abilities after so many fights, certain fights, etcetera. I also do not think items would be good here either, as how would dinosaurs carry them, and even if they could, how would four-footers actually use them?

This is not one of those lighthearted types of role playing games. They are deep and intricate, and require fairly active players. Unlike many RPG’s, this kind can literally come to a complete halt under certain circumstances if a member does not post for a while. Sure, there are ways for other players to deflect the situation at times, but too much of that makes for poor storytelling. Here’s an example of how to deflect in an RPG like this:

“Mwuahahahahaha! Young swimmer, you have no hope of banishing my servant. Stop wasting your magic and let me get this over with. Come on, what do you say?”

(Now, let’s assume Ducky’s user is away. The Cera user could write something like):

Cera saw that Ducky was frozen in fear, so she didn’t even wait for her to reply. She shouted at their foe, charging up for a big attack.

Sure, that went well, but constantly deflecting like that disrupts the flow so cannot be a common occurrence.

I’ve really thought about this, and for an adventure like this to work, I really can’t see much happening with less than six players. I have myself and one friend of mine said she’s join, so we’d really only need four more recruits at the least. At least one to control significant villains, at least five to control the main protagonists, any hero player can control minor characters that come in for a time to help, and everyone, both hero and villain players, can work with minor bad guys, such as a tiny wild creature or something. The reason everyone should be able to control the common, minor enemies is because it would be too complicated and overwhelming for one player to be in charge of every conflict outside of the heroes, yet just letting the good guys do it would restrict the villain player(s) too much.

As for character abilities, I am unfortunately unable to copy directly from D&D. I do not own the books, and I have looked online for a spell and ability list for weeks, and all I can find are lists with no definitions, and I most certainly have not memorized many powers during my playtime. However, I understand class mechanics enough to create my own skill sets. Now before I seem selfish, I really think that’s the best way. In all my years as a role player, I can spot overpowered spells and I know enough kinds to create quite a quantity. If people here tried creating their own, I’d have to rummage through them to find any that are too good, and possibly have to put restrictions on some. Secondly, if two players use the same class, there will be conflict on who gets to make what abilities for it, so to avoid any mess, it would just be easiest if I was allowed to come up with abilities. I’ve played D&D for many years, so I am very familiar with the classes.

I am not going to figure everything out right now. It wouldn’t be wise to do so until I can know if people actually want to do this. I can come up with a convincing plot and keep things from detouring too long, but that will take me a while and lot of work, so I just need to know if there is a reason to continue working on this suggestion. Now I understand how unusual of an idea this is. Therefore, I will not be surprised if everyone finds this to be utterly stupid and publicly says so, so don’t be shy about saying what’s on your mind should you wish to reply to this thread. Would anyone out there want to do this? If so, just don’t get your hopes up until we have enough players.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I love D&D! I would totally play! I could probably play Spike, nobody ever seems to want to play him. But in a D&D game, he'd have good Strength and Constitution, the abilities I usually look for in a character.

(this is unless one of you two wanted to play Spike, then just let me know which characters are available)

Also, TFS, the System Reference Document, usually abbreviated SRD, is a compendium of D&D information that Wizards of the Coast puts online for people who want to play D&D and are okay with the lack of flavor.

The [D&D Wiki
[D&D Wiki is a great source of information too, especially if you're okay with homebrewed stuff.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cera I'd say is likely a barbarian.  or maybe a fighter barbarian multi class.

as for d & d the 3.5 open game stuff is at: http://www.d20srd.org/
Pathfinder (which many call d & d 3.75) has a lot of their srd stuff at: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/   if you want to refer to stuff.  

Ruby could be any number of classes, depending where the player wanted to go, druid, sorcerer, wizard, ect.  

Ducky could be a cleric as mentioned, or a less known class like favored soul, though that is maybe odder.  They are like a sorcerer version of a divine caster using charisma instead of wisdom as their main stat, among other changes.

Mr Thicknose could be a Factotum, I think it's spelled.  they have all skills as class skills, and other stuff.  They are even more scholarly then wizards and bards, but not as good at magic as those 2 classes are.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
LOL, this is kinda weird. A while ago, I had the idea of a D&D style RPG, based around dinosaurs. I even did some basic stuff with stats and character abilities (stuff like stubborn will, fearless, flight, armour plates, tail weapons, etc).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds like it could be interesting.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Would OCs be allowed? Or is it just limited to strictly canon characters? I don't think you addressed that. I could be wrong, but a quick scan and I didn't see anything.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Would OCs be allowed? Or is it just limited to strictly canon characters? I don't think you addressed that. I could be wrong, but a quick scan and I didn't see anything.

That is one of the many things I haven't mentioned yet. I wanted to see if enough people would be interested before going over everything. Since you asked about this now, though, it depends. It's important for the gang to be in this, and if we have very few players, using a bunch of original characters will make the story hard to control. Let's say we attempted this with four people total. One controls the villain, and the other three, the good guys. Let's also say all four people wanted to bring in three original characters they created to add to this. So looking at it then, we have several antagonists to worry about, the gang of five or seven, twelve OC's, and all the other minor positive/nuetral/negative characters that come in for varying degrees of roles to help/give flavor to/hinder the gang. I really believe that six players is the bare minimum a game like this should have. If that can be met at least, while I am not opposed to OC's, the number to be used would weigh heavily on how many players we have in the end. With six, we could easily have one member per GoF character, and an OC or two or maybe even three could be used if the player is certain he or she can handle it. In RPG's, everything needs a reason, so if you get overwhelmed, you'd have to kill off your character, make him sick, have him give up, decide to go elsewhere, or something, and while that works fine, doing that a lot will have an effect on the flow, so my general suggestion is to be as sure as you can about just how many characters you can handle. If we got like, ten players, oh yeah, the OC count could really spike, but I just can't see an original gathering of massive proportions if we only meet my minimum request. So the answer is yes, but the yes is undefined until we see just how many will play.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Because of the D&D reference, I feel obligated to say this, but...
"Am I getting Drunk?!"

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess we are doing fc's only then?  Still lots to choose from.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess we are doing fc's only then? Still lots to choose from.

Well, I was hoping for the gang to be the central group of protagonists in this, with non-canon characters thrown in to help the plot and increase the flavor. I fear that this wouldn't feel much like the LBT if this focused on fan-made characters. That's just my thought on this though.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
sounds like a good idea.  

What classes do you think each FC would be?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What classes do you think each FC would be?

Mm, I am not sure. The people that make fan characters know them best, so they'd make a better judge for them than I would. Pterano would most likely know what class fits best for a fan character he made, and so forth. It's partly about personality and partly about body makeup. In regards to personality, it would be hard to see Spike as a bard. In regards to body makeup, it would be hard to see Ducky as a fighter. When it comes to fan characters, I believe their creators know what's best for them. With the main characters though, I think different people can reach different but logical conclusions on who would be best at what.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Everywhere I've rped FC means Feature Character not fan character.  Those are called Original Characters.  Guess I should start spelling out both words instead of using the initials.