The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Blanking the Slate

Serris · 921 · 84966

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
"Junko! Keep me covered!"

At the sound of Metheun's voice coming through her transceiver, mingled with the sound of gunfire and screams in the background, Junko swung the barrel of her sniper rifle around. The scope came to rest on Metheun as he dragged someone back towards the alley's exit. "Who's that?"

"No idea, she just ran up to me and I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth..." Metheun struggled with the figure for a second. "Stop it!"

Junko clicked her tongue impatiently. "Alright, fine. Just get them out of here!"

"This isn't a picnic for me, you know!"

She turned her attention back to the targets as Metheun disappeared backwards. She caught sight of a Purifier trying to get to Aaron, who'd managed to take cover behind a dumpster, and pulled the trigger, her bullet splintering the side of the Purifier's skull.

--------------------------------------------------------

Axel cried out in pain as Anne hauled him back into the club, his arm wrapped around her muscular frame for support. His left leg dragged behind him, trailing blood. It burned as though someone was stabbing it with a red hot poker.

A few club goers had noticed the group enter, and as more people pointed them out to their friends, the number of eyes resting on Anne, Axel and Rose grew.

Gritting his teeth, his gaze numbly registering the attention they were drawing, Axel tightened his grip on Anne's clothing. "Got... got to get out of here..."

"What the fuck's going on?!" A bouncer stopped dead in his tracks then backed away before they could stop him, shaking his head. "I'm calling the cops."

Shit! "Anne, get... get us out of here..." Axel groaned as the bouncer disappeared into the crowd, his breath hitching in his chest. His body started to shake from the shock of the situation. "Forget the others, we can't... we can't let the cops see us..."

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
rose gasped, in ragged breaths, as she clutched her shoulder ' we're ... in.. no.. condition.. to run.. for all the cops know, we were simply in the wrong place, at the wrong time.,.they don;t know us.. from adam or eve.. my shoulder is kiling me ' she squuerzed at the  area and stared glumly at the blood that stained claws. ' damn.. whoever shot me got  me good.. i'm starting to go numb '
 she heard a buzz .. Marita was checking in ' status report guys.. are we good or not? come in.. someone answer me..' maritas voice was insistent." soren? Anne? rose? anyone?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren quickly slid behind a concrete column as he heard the gunfire ring out. He looked around and saw nothing but the crowd panicking and running for cover. It was then he saw the flash of a silver retreating into the side entrance of Dobson's Alley. He immediately recognized the figures as Anne and Axel.

"Shit!" he muttered. He saw Aaron pinned down by a sniper. He scowled, wondering if he should just leave the Purifier to be die. He had no connection to him...except Rhaegson was likely to have his balls mounted as a trophy if he wimped out.

He dashed out of cover, raising his SMG and letting loose a volley of bullets towards the roof, hoping that he had either hit them or forced them to take cover.

Aaron coughed up some blood. "Gotta say, you're ballsy but fucking stupid!" He then grabbed the Human by the front of the shirt. "I'll be okay! Get Metheun!" The German Shepherd slumped over, dead or unconscious.

He peered out from behind the dumpster and saw the Metheun backing away from the group with one hand wrapped around...oh hell no...Flora's neck and the other brandishing a large handgun. He sighed as he lowered his weapon. There was no way he'd hid Metheun without shooting Flora as well.

He then heard Aaron's radio buzz. He reached into the man's pocket and pulled out the radio. He pressed the talk button. The dumpster rang as a bullet smashed into it.

"Yeah, Marita. It's Soren. The whole situation just got bricked. All the Purifiers are with us are dead. Metheun took Flora hostage. I think Axel, Rose and Anne got shot and are hiding in the club. And I'm hiding behind a dumpster because I'm getting shot at."

----------------------

The ache in Anne's back grew even worse. It was then that she realized the wetness on her back wasn't from Axel's leg wound. She had been shot by the snipers.

Despite the wounds, she waved off the bouncers as she half carried, half dragged Axel and Rose to the entrance of the club.

She could already hear the sirens of both the police and the ambulance crew arriving.

(OOC = Brick [Verb, slang] – to render an electronic or mechanical device completely useless. By extension, to render a situation utterly hopeless.)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Several of the men were spilling out into the streets in order to secure the area. One of them took a position in the alleyway under Emilena's roof, which allowed her to drop onto his head and make short work of him with a quick neck-snap.

Reloading her SMG, she strafed around the building so she could get a bead on Soren's position. She saw them hiding behind a dumpster and wondered why they weren't booking it when a sniper shot rang off the roof of the building above her. Oh. Climbing the fire escape as quietly as she could, she sighted a single sniper hugging the lip of the building and shredded them with a close-range salvo of silenced submachine rounds into the abdomen.

"Soren!" she growled into the mic. "On my mark, cross the street and let's blend into the marketplace district! Anyone who wants to live should come with you..." Borrowing the corpse's sniper rifle, she sighted the sniper guarding the other side of the street and plugged them between the eyes. "There, go now!"

Meanwhile, Flora was quickly doing whatever Metheun's body language was commanding. Her mind was racing and her instinct was to claim she was an innocent bystander, nobody for him to worry about...but something told her they'd just kill her for seeing too much. "I admit it, I was with the people trying to kill you!" she stammered to Metheun as he forcibly led her away from the shootout. "So don't kill me! I've got way too much useful info to just kill!"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
great , just fucking great ' so the whole thing went sideways in a major way .  not only does half the team get plugged, but the ward i'm responsible for gets grabbed in the process. i don't need to tell you Soren how bad the situation is, not just for me and Rose personally, but for us as a whole. we need to get Flora back immediately. get anne , Rose and anyone else who is injured out of harms way and  then chase down methuen. bastard was far more important than we knew, considering how many friends he brought with him." marita said her frustration evident in her voice. ' i'll try and see if i can latch into any phones or networks he uses.'
_
 rose griopped her injured shoulder, her face contorted in pain. 'gods' she swore, as as the sirens for the police and medics got louder and louder. the dancing was still going on, so everything sort of blended together in a cacophony of noise and sound. ' blood trickled from beneath her claws, as she tried to put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. her arms were starting to tingle from loss of blood, and her arm was getting heavy.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As they passed through the front door of the club, being given a wide berth by the clubbers who noticed the state they were in, Axel tried to urge Anne along, limping painfully beside her. "If the cops see us, we're fucked," he gasped through gritted teeth. The whining of the police sirens grew ever louder, signalling this was only moments away from happening.

The trio emerged from the club and started to stumble down the street. Not realising Anne had been shot too, Axel put his full weight on her as he scanned their surroundings for something to escape with. Someone waiting in line for the club stared as they passed, then elbowed the person he was with. "What kind of dance competition did you say this was?"

Sweat greasing his hair, Axel's breath caught as he recognised a car parked further up - the same vehicle Marcus had been driving as he'd driven them up. "There! Come on!" Moving as fast as his leg would allow him, Axel reached the driver's door and pulled it open, relief washing over him when he saw the keys were still in the ignition. "Lucky someone didn't take this for a ride..." he muttered, glancing over his shoulder at Anne and Rose. Axel's eyes widened when he saw the blood spreading over Anne's top. "Ah shit! You're shot too!" He swallowed, panicking as the sound of sirens filled the street - the cops would be here any second.

He punched the wheel in frustration. "Get in! If I use my other leg I can drive!"

-------------------------------------

Metheun jerked Flora back, his arm tight around her throat. "Keep quiet and maybe I won't. My ears are ringing like a fucking church bell."

Pulling her around the corner, out of range of any bullets the remaining Purifiers might send his way, he switched his hold on Flora. Pushing her in front and twisting her arm behind her back to stop the girl from running, he shoved her towards an exit of the alleyway. A dark vehicle stopped in front of them with a screech, and the rear passenger door popped open. Metheun shoved flora towards it. "Get it."

--------------------------------------

Junko saw Metheun and the prisoner move out of range as her ears picked up the approaching sirens. Peering through the scope down into the alley, it looked as though all Purifiers were either dead, or well on their way there. Whoever had taken out her operative on the roof, it appeared they weren't making themselves visable, and Junko didn't have enough time to hunt them down.

She signaled to those near her and spoke into her receiver. "Move out. We're done here."

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"I'll be fine!" Anne replied. She clenched her teeth as the action of speaking made her chest feel like it was on fire.

She hauled Rose into the backseat of the SUV and shut the door. She winced as she did so, sending electric jolts of pain through her back and upper body. Anne looked in the rearview mirror and saw the flashing blue lights of the police cars as well as the red and lights of the medics.

The Shetland Pony grabbed hold of the the passenger's seat and used it to help prop herself up. "Go now!" Her voice was starting to get raspy as she further weakened. Her fingers loosened their grip on the headrest as she finally slid into semi-consciousness, her drug and adrenaline-fueled intensity having burnt itself out.

------------------------

"Are you fucking serious!?" Soren snapped into the phone when he finally stopped running. He and Emilena had blended into the crowd at the marketplace district. A street vendor selling some questionable looking electronics looked at him but then ignored him. Realizing his outburst, he lowered his voice.

"You better not be hinting that Flora's 'manager' will send a bunch of thugs after us!"

He then silenced his smartphone's mic and turned to Emilena. "Can you believe this, she wants us to go get Flora and Methuen! I can understand Metheun but Flora?"

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Flora quickly did as she was told, climbing into the van and trying to will her heart not to thump so hard it burst out of her chest.

-------------------------------

"She's good as dead already," Emilena said, knowing that Soren had likely come to the same conclusion. "They're going to milk her for info and dispose of her. Her only shot is being traded for a healthy celebrity ransom, we're certainly not going to be the ones to save her."

She purchased a soda from a vending machine. "You know, Soren..." she said in a low voice. "This might be our chance to cut and run. Our Purifier guard is dead, we could easily be dead as well. If the others are as wounded as it sounded like, they might be in police custody before we get an opportunity to do anything else."

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
he'll send thugs alright Marita said " but not after you guys> no, Me, rose and Marie will be the targets. In short, we're boned if we dont get her back.' Msrita sighed. " We will likely have  hours, days at most, before they find us abnd extract payment for our failure. By which, I mean 3 bullets , into the base ofd our skulls> So, you guys can go after Methuen, but Flota is part of hunting him down> Its not your fault, and I'll wager Bailey wont mess with you. Its our fault , and our price to pay. I think it best for now, that we disperse. I'll try and get a lock on Rose, Axel and Anne, by hooking into thier phone network or failing that, finding Annes horn frequency Hopefully, they wont be in police custody, or being operated on in some backwater , low tech , office. Good luck , guys " Marita said
_
 Rose murmured as she hit the seat "  Go, AXel.. Just.. get us out of here.. Cops will ask too many questions." She grimaced, blood  trickling down her arm from the wound in her shoulder We really botched this whole thing up, didnt we?' she said, her fave stained with tears , tears shed from the pain of being shot.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As she was pushed into the back seat of the vehicle, Flora found herself sitting next to a solid man who looked as though he'd never smiled a day in his life. Metheun slid in beside her and slammed the door shut. "Go. The others'll meet us there," he said to the driver up front. Looking across at the man sitting next to Flora, Metheun nodded. The man pulled out what looked like dark glasses from his pocket and placed them carefully over her eyes, revealing that they weren't sunglasses - the device prevented any light from getting in, rendering her blind.

Metheun reclined back in his seat, idly looking out the tinted windows as the car pulled away. "I don't need to tell you to behave yourself, right?"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Axel pressed down on the gas with his good leg, starting to drive away just as, in the rear-view mirror, he saw a group of police and medical vehicles stop outside the club. His heart hammered in his chest as the lights gradually grew fainter, expecting at any moment to be pulled over.

When they turned the corner, he felt himself start to relax a little. Holy shit, we made it out... Trying to focus, Axel realised Rose had spoken. "Botched it up?" He let out a hysterical laugh. "We're alive, they're dead, and nobody's stopping us from leaving! I think that turned out pretty fucking great for us!" He winced as a burning sensation shot up his leg. "Goddammit! Well, pretty great." Axel hoped the others got out alright, but right now, he couldn't worry about them.

He looked across and saw the terrible state they were in. Anne especially, who seemed to be teetering on the edge of passing out. Fuck... what do I do... They needed help, that much was obvious. But having to go to a hospital gave him a bad feeling. They'd be vulnerable, and if it was discovered they were there... Axel tightened his grip on the wheel. He didn't know anyone who could help, and another glance at Anne told him they didn't have time to waste.

"There's a hospital about... I dunno, a half hour away, I think," he said to Rose. "I'm taking us there." He twisted slightly, grimacing at the pain it caused, and rubbed Anne's arm. "Hey, don't... fuck, I don't know, don't fall asleep or anything, ok? We'll get help soon." He started feeling a strange buzzing in his leg, and a wetness as blood began to pool in his shoe. I hope we get help soon... Swinging a hard left, ignoring the traffic light, Axel sped them towards the freeway.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren bit his lip. He looked around and made sure no one was listening. Luckily, there were too many people around the shopping district to care. He didn't really care for any member of the group...except Axel and, maybe Anne. Rose...well, he wanted to keep on Marita's good side.

He pondered Emilena's idea. He had fled from a horrible disaster before but this time, he had a vague feeling he wasn't going to be so lucky this time. That and he didn't want to lose his best friend again.

The Human sighed and ran a hand through his head. "I want to...but I can't get around the thought of leaving Axel behind. That...and I have a feeling I'm next on their list." He scowled. "And if so, I'll take their lives to hell with me."

-------------------

The noise and lights of Seryet City gradually began a haze as Anne drifted in and out of consciousness. She could barely make out Axel's touch on her arm and his words but one thing stood out: hospital.

Taking a breath that stopped short and made her cough slightly, the mare spoke. "Guys killing...Purifiers, augments. What if...we're next? And...leave, piss off Purifiers?" The wound on her shoulder started bleeding again as she coughed. She grabbed a handful of tissues from the box and placed them on her back, pressing herself against the door in an attempt to apply pressure and stem the newly restarted flow of blood.

As much as she didn't want to work with the Purifiers, working on the street taught her that the more people you pissed off, the shorter you lived. Metheun and Black's thugs already wanted them dead. Dumping the mission and risk having Rhaegson and his goons on their case as well didn't sound like something the Shetland Pony mare was interested in.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Running away isnt an option Soren. if you run, there will be at least 4 groups wanting your head, well all our heads. Black's groups, metheun's, Rhaegson's and Baileys, all of whom will shoot first and ask questions later. So getting Flora back will ensure Bailey isnt pissed at us and Catching methuen will ensure Rheagson won't kill us for botching  this job. The fewest groups that want our hides, the better. But we have no real good options at this point, really. Methuen got the drop on us, and nicked Flora and  we are now no closer to finding out what he knows than before.  Which is not a great position to be in, in fact its about as bad a spot as we could be in. Our list of enemies is growing, and the only way we are going to get out of this alive is if we stick together and get  Flora back.  Go search the alley, its possible Methuen might have dropped something as he ran off. a wallet, a card, a phone number written on a piece of paper. Anything that could be a clue." Marita said
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Flora nodded. "I'll be a veritable angel. Hell, I'm glad to be away from those bastards, they were twisting my arm to get me to work for them. Did you know one of them was a lesbian and used to molest me? Would stick her tongue in my mouth and everything. I felt like a slave, of the Sally Hemmings variety."

Of course, Flora still loved Rose deep down, but she figured that channeling her well-remembered disgust she once felt would hopefully maybe put her on her captors' good side. Rose would never have to know what hateful things she'd said.

-----------------------------

"Could you cut your radio before we keep talking?" Emilena growled at Soren, nettled at her private comments being broadcast. She glanced around. "Also we might not want to hang around in public for much longer." She racked her brain, running through a list of her and Lily's old hideouts, and realized one was nearby. "Follow me. I got a place off the street."

Thirty minutes later, she tiptoed through the graveyard of an old church. Fishing a weather-beaten mop handle from the hedges beside the church wall, she prodded a cloth ladder in the outdoor rafters until it unraveled and provided passage to the church's bell tower. "There's some canned food under the mattress, and we can't be here on weekends, but it's a place." Sliding a cheap solar-powered laptop from a cubby in the attic boxes, Emilena positioned it so the setting sun would power it. "And if you need internet, get it now because this thing doesn't work at night."

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Metheun glanced around at the girl as she spoke, his eyebrow cocking in mild amusement. "They're terrorists, honey. They turned a city into a bloodbath. If they did force you into helping them, I'd count yourself lucky if all they did was rape you." He shrugged. "Anyway, we'll find out what you know when we arrive."

He started to lean back in his seat again, then paused, rolling his eyes at Flora though she couldn't see him. "Actually, that reminds me. I should let him know we've got a guest on the way. He hates surprises." Metheun pulled a cell phone out of his pocket and flipped it open. He hit a few buttons then held it up to his ear.

"Hi. Yeah, it's me. Yeah, I'm fine. Yes, of course it worked. It worked perfectly." Metheun paused. "Well, alright, not perfectly, exactly. A few got away but tracking them down should be easy. The main targets are dead, at least." His eyes flicked to Flora. "Actually, there's something I wanted to let you know. We caught one." The corner of his mouth curled. "I don't know, she ran right up to me. Right. Okay. See you soon." Metheun hung up and slipped the phone back into his pocket.

"Get us back as quick as you can," he called up to the driver. "He wants to find out what she can tell us." Metheun glanced down at his shoes, and grimaced. "And I need to clean my shoes. They have fucking blood on them."

---------------------------------------------

The car screeched to a halt outside the entrance of Peace Hospital. The vehicle bounced up onto the sidewalk, knocking down a trashcan and forcing a pedestrian to dive for safety. Inside the lobby, a doctor heard the commotion and ran outside. As he approached, the driver's door swung open.

"We need help!" Axel cried out, trying to pull himself out awkwardly. His left leg felt as though it was on fire; the jeans covering the limb were almost entirely soaked in blood. "Someone attacked us, my friend's... fuck, she's looking really bad!"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the doctor took a single glance at Axel's bloody leg and pulled out a walkie talkie' This is Dr Mishi. i have an injured driver and passengers in need of immediate stabilization and treatment foir gun wounds." he radioed and went to help Axel get out of the van. '; How many are with you? He asked in a calm voice.';
_ Rose clambered as best she could of thge her side off of the van, her wounds obvious to even a casual onserver '  he got Shot in the leg, and me in the should,. but our friend here  has the worst of it she  in a strained voice. Mishi opened to the door to reveal Anne leaning against the window. I Need 3 stretchers' MUshi radioed "Coming doctor' he heard the reply " We have a shetland, a dog and a rat  here ' Mishi said a scowl covering his baboon face.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren scowled. "I didn't turn my radio on." It was then he realized that Marita could remotely access the radios and turn them on and off to listen in on conversations. He had suggested that as a backup in case they were captured or something. That being said, he decided that it wasn't a "need to know" thing for Emilena.

When he arrived at Emilena's hideout, he looked over the place and watched the setting sun through a crack in the dilapidated church's roof. He then pondered Marita's last command to him.

The Human fished out a can of flaked catfish salad and sat down on a wooden beam. He hadn't eaten since lunch and his stomach was growling.

It was then that he said something he never figured he'd say to the Lanthae cop who had nearly gotten him thrown in jail. "Thanks, Emilena. But I can only stay for the night. I've got to see if Axel is okay."

---------------

Peace Hospital's ER was a flurry of activity as nurses, doctors and orderlies tended to the trio of badly injured patients brought in by car. Of course, given its location between the Oilworks District and seedy Circuits neighborhood (so named for its high concentration of suspicious electronics shop) there were a significant number of overdoses as well as victims of violence.

As Anne was in the worst shape, the staff began stabilizing her so they could quickly x-ray her and then get her into the OR to be treated.

Rose was next as her shoulder wound had a high chance of causing her to bleed to death. Axel was the lowest priority as he had been shot in the thigh, luckily no vital blood vessels or the bones were hit. That said, it was still a through-and-through gunshot wound.

Axel was put in a room as a nurse and doctor examined his wound and took his vitals as well as his personal information. Tellingly, they didn't inquire as to how he got that injury.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Oooh, try using toothpaste!" Flora piped up. "Sounds crazy but it's amazing at cleaning shoes. I think it's the bleach."

Once the car arrived at its destination, Metheun's enforcer forced her out of the car with unneeded roughness, and Flora did her best to follow his orders. "Are you guys cops?" she asked. "Can I enter the witness protection program?"

-------------------

Emilena nodded, she was too tired to argue. He didn't seem to want the laptop, so she checked the local news. "Black's body has been found, but every news site has a different story on how he died so they don't know anything." She grumbled when the laptop turned itself off as the sun slipped under the horizon. "I didn't see anything on our most recent excursion, but they'll no doubt have reports on that one by morning. At least we're the only two who didn't enter the club, so we don't have to worry about the security footage."

The others weren't so lucky; just another reason to leave them to their fate. But for some reason, as Emilena crawled over to her sleeping spot, she wasn't 100% convinced to ditch Soren and go her own way after this. Why would I do anything else? He's risking his life for people I don't give a shit about... she yawned.

Despite her exhaustion, it was a very long time until she fell asleep. She couldn't help but spy on Soren while he was still awake. I'm just...making sure he's not slitting my throat, she told herself.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Thank you Mr. Jackson." The doctor slipped a pen back into his pocket as he finished jotting something down, then made his way towards the door. "Someone'll check in on how you're doing in a little while."

Axel nodded as the man left the room. "Yeah, sure. Thanks." He had no idea if they (whoever they were) would be looking for him, but if they were, he wasn't about to help them by giving out his real name. With a sigh, Axel leaned back in the bed and pulled up his gown, revealing the wound in his thigh. It didn't look too bad now that they'd sewn it shut, and the morphine wasn't unwelcome. Still, it'd probably leave a scar. I just keep getting prettier.

He'd remembered to grab hold of his cell phone before his blood soaked jeans had been removed, and he turned to look at it now as it lay on the bedside table, turned off. Part of him felt the urge to try and call one of the others, to see if they'd made it out - but he knew how risky that could be.

Axel had no idea what he should do next. Would the Purifiers come after them because of what had happened? Would whoever they'd been looking for track them down? With the cops still after him, a future in Seryet City was looking increasingly bleak. His head hurting, Axel picked up the TV remote and hit the ON button. The TV mounted in the corner of the room flickered to life.

" -and in other news, the leader of Brennan Synthetics, Richard Brennan, has been reported missing." A reporter filled the screen, his expression solemn. "He was last seen two days ago leaving his residence in Upper Greenford at approximately 6 o'clock in the afternoon, alone. This news comes just days after Brennan Synthetics announced its closure, following the bizarre and tragic incident in which 78 people possessing Brennan Synthetic augmentations died, after the technology appeared to malfunction. Earlier this week, hospitals were flooded with citizens demanding their augmentations be removed. Many stated they didn't feel safe anymore, with this incident standing on the shoulders of the Lanthae massacre last year."

A female reporter sitting on the left spoke up. "Investigators have reported concerns regarding Richard Brennan's safety. Earlier this morning, Edward Coxon, the ex-owner of Focus Biological, a genetic augmentation company which closed its doors 40 years ago, and a close friend of Mr. Brennan, spoke to us to try and reach out to his missing friend."

The image changed to an old man. His wispy white hair looked disheveled, and his suit appeared as if he'd thrown it on quickly. His left hand trembled, and as Axel watched the screen, he thought the old man seemed so thin that a light breeze would blow him away like paper. Coxon cleared his throat and looked directly into the camera and spoke, his voice surprisingly clear in spite of his appearance.

"Richard, I beg you. Please, no matter how dark the situation seems, there is always hope. We can all recover from this. Seryet can recover, and to do this we all need to stand together, to work together. With this comes strength." He paused, blinking. "You are part of this strength, Richard."

Losing interest, Axel turned the TV off. He leaned back and gingerly probed his wound.

-----------------------------------------------

The car had stopped in the gravel driveway of a large, expensive-looking property. A guard stood to either side of the marble steps leading up to a set of imposing wooden doors, the main entrance. The long driveway stretched behind them, ending at a tall metal gate, hefty trees dotting either side of the path.

Metheun stepped out of the car, rolling his shoulders. As he adjusted his tie, he motioned towards the guard holding her arm. "Witness protection?" he smirked as the three of them made their way up the steps. "Sure. Whatever you say, honey." As they neared the entrance the doors swung open, revealing a nervous looking butler. They stepped through into an airy entrance hall. A carpeted stairway wound up to the second floor.

"Thank you, Felix. That cold sore's looking much better, by the way," Metheun said as the butler closed the doors behind them. He started for the stairway, speaking over his shoulder. "Take her into the meeting room. Make her comfortable, I'll be back soon. Felix, find toothpaste!"

Flora was led through a doorway to her left. A long table filled the next room, a fire crackling away on the far side. The guard led her down the room to the chair at the furthest end of the table and pushed her down into it, the fire warming her back pleasantly.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In a room a couple doors down from Axel, Rose glanced at the heavily bandaged shoulder that the doctors had spent nearly an hour operating on, to re set the bone, and clean out floating bone chips. she had given the name of Rosemarie to the doctors , which had been a name her parents had considered naming her, before settling on Rose instead. she had been told not to move the shoulder until a sling could be put in place " How are you  doing , miss?' a nurse asked as she came in. " better. Really just came out of the anesthesia a bit ago, you guys gave me too much.' Rose said.' Shoulder doesnt hurt nearly as much." Well, it was a pretty complex surgery. you broke your clavicle, there was damage to the muscle, and quite a few nicked blood vessels. hence the level of blood loss. To say nothing of the number of  bone chips we had to suck up. other that that, it was a clean hole." the nurse said, and she put in a fresh bag of iv fluid  to the IV that was feeding into Rose's left arm." Do you want to watch Tv while we wait for the doctor? the nurse asked. " yes please" rose nodded, and the nurse turned onto a news program that had a debate about augments- are they safe? was the question being asked." someone sure screwed up on designing those augments" the nurse said in passing. all those people dying because their augments failed. i'm sure there wont be much money coming to the victims families though. those companies usually shut their doors after a fiasco like this."
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Anne muttered something incomprehensible as began to come out of her drug induced fog. All she could feel was a dull aching in her back that seemed to cover her entire body.

"Ah, Ms. Mare, I see you're awake." It was standard procedure for patients with no identification to be referred to by their species. As Anne didn't have her wallet with her at that moment, she had no name other than "Ms. Mare". And she really didn't feel like giving them her actual contact information.

The mare said nothing but moaned as her eyes cleared. In front of her was a plastic pitcher of water along with a specimen jar containing the bullet that had been removed from her. Her horn implant was placed inside a plastic bag that was labeled "patient belongings. Two IV tubes ran into her arms and there was a helpfully labeled button to dispense painkillers. Internally, she chuckled. It appeared to be an older model that she could interfere with using her horn and dispense as much narcotics as she pleased. Of course, she dared not do that with the dour-looking Capuchin Monkey watching her.

"So what happened?" she said, her voice rough and weak. She used her left hand to try and pick up the cup of water but ended it up spilling it on the sheets. The nurse helpfully assisted her in drinking the water.

"Well," the nurse said. His accent hinted at his Peruvian origins. "Your right clavicle and scapula were completely shattered by a rifle bullet. And the right subclavian artery was severed. To be honest, you are very lucky to be alive. We had to replace those shattered bones with a titanium sponge structure and use osteointegrating nanomachines to meld them with your regular bones. "

Anne said nothing as she absorbed the information. She already was an Augment; some nearly unbreakable titanium sponge bone was nothing major."

"How long will it take before I can get back to normal?" she asked.

"A week for light exercise but maybe two or some months for total normality."

The mare blew some air our her nostrils. It seemed like she wasn't going to be doing too much to help the team.