The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What do you DISLIKE the most about TLBT?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Perhaps she was just afraid to ask. We have seen that she can be afraid on many occassions. I don't think her not asking Littlefoot (if she didn't ask at all) about his mother is evidence that she was not being very considerate or concerned.

On the other hand, it could be possible that Littlefoot didn't want to talk about it. The only one I am certain he told is Ducky (of his friends, he did tell Rooter though), but as far as that goes, the only thing she indicates she knows is that his mom gave him the treestar.

Maybe it is stuff that occurred offscreen, the things we did not see. I just don't see any evidence onscreen in the first movie of Littlefoot telling anyone. The only time I think it's indicated that his friends know what happened is the 5th movie, when I think Littlefoot alludes to his mother during the song Always There, and the others look at him sympathetically.

Though I'm sure at some point in the LBT timeline, whether it be offscreen in movie 1 or sometime offscreen during the sequels, Littlefoot told them what happened.

Anyway, as for what I told like about the movies, well one thing in particular that I didn't like was Cera's sudden change in size. She's now larger, or almost the same size, as Littlefoot I believe. I'm not sure if this was done to make her appear stronger or what, but it felt awkward to me. It's not the thing I dislike the most about LBT, but it's one of the things that annoys me. Though it's nothing that bad, just a change in character design.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the word was could have been a slip or mistake on the part of the scriptwriter as well.

gloverboy2

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i'd like to say i'm sorry for the way i acted the other day.

my brother gave mme a hard time last night. :cry2

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What I dislike about LBT are the Unsolved Mysteries the Animators never tried to explain what happen with most of the characters that strangely disappeared in the earlier movies.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I agree there are some mysteries which I would like to see a bit more illuminated (Dinah and Dana for example) while there are other elements which I think ought to have kept a bit more mysterious (the rainbowfaces).

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
*skips in*

For starters, I can't help but notice that every sequel revolves around something that Littlefoot saw/did/said/all that such. Spotlight character. It made sense in the first and tenth. But beyond that? Different characters should've had different spotlights. With some of them, it's pretty hard. I definately think that Petrie should've had the spotlight of VII for certain, then VIII should have been just Ducky (since Littlefoot had his 'side story').

From nine onward, there are bright colors and "CGI camera movements" (as I call them) that really get on my nerves. I loved the soft-toned colors of at least I to IV . I guess Grovensor had something to do with the bright colors  :p .

Villains. I'll agree with everyone else. I can't help but notice that the only villains that ARE threatening don't want to eat them :lol . And all the lame villains usually do.

Plot holes are another thing in almost every movie. You could drive a big ol SEMI through them.  

I don't mind some of the guest stars...*looks around*...okay, ONE guest star. Because "he" played "him", I officially got pulled into a world of my own =3 . I'll never forget that. Now, this is what I think is interesting. Michael York says that his life is pretty much his wife's as well.
"I would not accept a role without her consent, because where we go and what we do is Pat's life too.
(From "Accidentally on Purpose: An Autobiography")
Hmmmm...
I gotta say that VII might be a bit more "engaging" for their great grandchildren (if there were any in 2000) than such things as The Three/Four Musketeers (I was bored silly by it when I was young). Heck, any kid wouldn't understand a thing in almost every film he's in (and The Last Remake of Beau Geste is definately off that list, because not only are the jokes un-understandable, but it also has some adult elements here and there.) Maybe it's the same for any other guest star...hence why they show up.
"You know, Kris Kristopherson is a pretty cool guy, but kids these days have no idea who he is. Why don't we see if he'll take a role?" If that's the theory, BOY did it work with Michael York...at least for me =P

Then Petrie in bits of 9 and twelve, and the entirety of the TV series. I've said it before. His personality went from a pretty shiny box to bits of metal with a few wires strewn everywhere. I don't know about you, but after literally going eye-to-eye with a sharptooth, you'd think he wouldn't be scared to fly through clouds (he even PECKS one in the eye in XI) The moment imaginary friends came into play, not just Petrie, but the whole series flipped for me. It was a BLAM, even for THAT movie!

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't like that all the realistic details are not there in the sequels. And the fact that sharpteeth are only capable of growling.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
The only thing I really dislike about LBT is the songs. Some of them are really good, but you don't need to put songs in a movie to get kids' attention.

I suppose the plot holes in the sequels are quite annoying, but I don't usually think about that sort of stuff when watching a movie, especially when it's LBT. I only really realised that LBT7 had a patchy plot when Malte outlined the inconsistensies.

The use of CGI in later sequels is kind of unnecessary too. I mean, when I first saw the CGI log in LBT8 I thought it was cool, but then I was only 7 or 8 years old. :p

On the subject of Sci-Fi, I didn't mind the ending of LBT7 - as many here know, I actually really enjoyed it, being a guy who has always liked to put science fiction/crossover elements in my favourite animations - but if the Sci-Fi thing became a normal part of LBT, I'd be annoyed. It would take LBT in a completely new direction, and that I wouldn't want. I believe that it's okay for a series to have one or two departures from the norm, but it needs to keep more or less to its roots - as far as I can see, LBT has done that, and what we need to remember is that LBT7 is just one movie out of thirteen.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I really dislike adults in Great Valley being ignorant and careless all the time. Scripters could've made them a more important part of the plot. Sometimes it seems like gang's parents only remember about their kids if something bad's happening. :huh:
I'm reffering to sequels of course. Littlefoot's mother in the original LBT movie was perfect. :)

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I can't stand the end of LBT7. A crackhead monkey with brain damage could come up with some better than aliens.

I hated that log that Sarah was pushing with her dad in...9? I think it was?

Hated how Shorty tripped a T-Rex. That thing had to weigh as much as an airplane. In fact, I hate Shorty too. A simplistic cliche character.

And the last movie.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I hate how most of the sharpteeth are pushovers. Why aren't they all dead from starvation by now? They obviously can't catch a darn thing!

And most of the songs are awful. I usually just skip them whenever they come up. There's some songs I still haven't bothered to listen to all the way through, and I don't really want to listen to them either.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Films XI,XII and XIII as well as the TV series for the most part.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The log thing in LBT 9 made no sense at all.  I'm watching LBT 9 right now and moving that log would realistically take what...2 minutes?  And besides even if it did take all day to move a single log, Cera would be no help to her father.  

Now that LBT 13 finally came out, I have to say the thing I hate the most about LBT is the Yellow Bellies.  Stupid do-do creatures with butts that look like bushes.  I'd rather have Darth Maul in an LBT story than a Yellow Belly.  At least then we'd get a decent antagonist.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, this being a series I hold very dear, this is a kinda hard topic for me, but I do have a few major qualms:

1. "Imaginary Friend". It's probably the closest thing the series has gotten to having a Big Lipped Alligator Moment (A sequence in a film that has nothing to do with the plot, comes out of nowhere, is totally over the top, and is never mentioned again after it ends). The segue into the song wasn't too bad, but as soon as I saw Petrie drumming on the shells of those turtles, I knew this song was gonna blow. It just seemed a little too bizarre for them, the designs of the imaginary friends didn't really look like creatures that dinosars could devise, and dinosaurs really should never sing reggae. Plus, how as soon as the song was over, the message was pretty much void (since Mo appeared a proved that he wasn't imaginary).
Most of the other songs, I can stand to listen to. In fact with several, I really enjoy them. I know they lighten the mood of the films, but I realy don't care. I've just learned to accept that they weren't made by Don Bluth, and I've moved on with it.
The only other songs I have a really hard time sitting through are "One of Us Now" and "Friends For Dinner". The former, because it just seems kinda out of place and just doesn't sound that good, and the latter because Chomper's voice actor can barely act, let alone sing!
(Note, this is not including the TV series songs, which are an entire different matter)

2. The Yellow Bellies. These characters had some potential. Their personalities and actions were pretty funny, and the way they thought and did things on a whim, kinda reminded me of me. The only major problem I had with them was their design. It looks more akin to an alien from a Hanna-Barbera cartoon than a dinosaur. The Flintstones could have gotten away with it, but LBT has always maintained a certain degree of accuracy with their designs, so they just seemed comletely out of place. Those gigantic bellies and posteriers that make one wonder how they can stand up straight, and that whole belly-bouncing thing made me cringe. If they could have just kept a little closer to the design of the dinosaur they are based on, it could have worked.
Incidentally, one reason I think that the final film was so different was because it had a different director to the other sequels, for some reason.

Salvatore Blackheart

• Chomper
    • View Profile
in original movie littlefoot's mother looks very old. :anger

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Salvatore Blackheart,May 8 2011 on  01:28 PM
in original movie littlefoot's mother looks very old. :anger
That's not really a flaw.Although in TLBT X the mother that is seen in Bron's flashback had horrible design,she looked more like Grandma Longneck instead of Littlefoot's mother,but it wasn't that big of a flaw.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This is more for LBT fanfiction and roleplays, but GOD, sharpteeth are freaking gluttons! They just seem to eat so much and so often. I'm more of the midset that they should be more like carnivorous animals of today, in that they are built to go days without eating, and that they don't have to eat as much.

When I read of Redclaw killing an old threehorn (A creature of comparable size to him in my eyes) and finishing it off in less than a day, then wanting to find something else to eat, I just find it ridiculous. I mean, animals really only eat like 5% of their body weight at a time, and that low percentage will give them energy for a while. If a sharptooth downs something about the same size as it is, that carcass should last him for days (Weeks actually, if only the carcass wouldn't rot in that time frame).

It just doesn't make much sense to me. Someone care to explain?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I dislike a great many things about the LBT sequels, even though I love most of them overall. I'm going to list all the sequels and what was wrong with them.

LBT2: I don't have any real problems with this one, other than the incompetence of Scrut and Ozie.

LBT3: The bullies were grating and annoying. On top of that, the plot was just weak. The adults should already have been out looking for where the water was blocked, Daddy Tops was absolutely in the right to regulate the drinking turns they had agreed upon even though the film made him out to be the bad guy, and the "sharing is caring" moral was just too blatant.

LBT4: This is probably the best of the sequels and captures the spirit of The Land Before Time the best. It has the group out of their own in dangerous territory, a loved one is at risk of dying, and the Ali actually made a good addition to the group. However, Dil and Itchy were completely unnecessary as villains as the conflict of finding the cure for Grandpa Longneck was enough. More than enough, actually.

LBT5: Not a great sequel, but not a bad one, either. However, the new director's surreal style really bogs the rest of the series down, starting with this one.

LBT6: LBT and Western Movie-style themes do not mix. The folk song about the Lone Dinosaur, ending with the gang going "YEEHA" just about broke my brain.
Littlefoot's new voice sucked. He sounds like a freaking girl.

LBT7: Pterano was too obvious, the whole subplot with the Rainbow Faces was unneeded and inane, because the frikking rock turned out to be utterly useless, and that twat who was voicing Littlefoot still sucked.

LBT8: The other Spiketail was annoyin on Jar Jar Binks levels and Littlefoot's current voice at the time still sucked.

LBT 9: The last LBT Thomas Dekker took part in! HUZZAH!

LBT10: The whole thing was a mess.

LBT11: Littlefoot shifts blame. Enough said.

LBT12: Never saw it.

LBT13: Littlefoot preaching proverbs. I need to lie down for a while.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Error you said Land Before Time 14 when that was suppose to be a 13. And a lot of these sequels where god awful I do admit that whole country theme in Land Before Time 6 was kinda horrible. And the country pop song was eh okay not great. Movie 13 just was so god awful that I had to drink something to get through it. But most of the sequels where okay I liked some.