The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Epic Battles.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Alot of people say epic battles can't be in animated children's films because they would 1. scare children or 2. be too violent, but this was proven wrong because they're is such a scene in "The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" (if you want to see the scene, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR2oDW2BO9w) so if Lion King 2 has a scene depicting an epic battle then why not Land Before Time, the closest they've gotten to one was the scene with the raptors in LBT3 and the Sharptooth vs Littlefoot's Mother fight in the original film but those didn't involve all the GV residents and a HUGE amount of sharpteeth, so basically it would've been cool to see a scene like that in a Land Before Time film.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
An epic battle would sure be interesting, but it would have to occur for a good reason.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
There was one. It doesn't get more epic than Littlefoot's mom vs. original sharptooth. I bet there hasn't been one since because they knew it wouldn't compare ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ What Sky says.
The reason is difficult to come up with because the dinosaurs of the land before time don't think in human terms. For example it would be totally senseless for large Sharpteeth (not to be confused with the smaller raptors who need less food individually) to form any real "army" and trying to attack the leafeaters in large numbers. Between sharpteeth and leafeaters it is the circle of life / the food-chain rather than the kind of personal animosities that often play a role in human conflict. Sharpteeth would not benefit from causing any large scale massacre with corpses rotting away before they could eat them and with a much higher than necessary risk of some of them being among the corpses.
As for the leafeaters, while concepts of ownership are not utterly unknown to them (that is my treestar!) the kind of human ideas of power and ownership of land etc. don't seem to be very far developed. The racism between some kinds might be a cause for a larger scale conflict. In any case one should make VERY sure that the reasons are well explained or else it will degenerate into violence for violence's sake because it is felt to be so entertaining. There are many LBT fanfictions including all kinds of battles (and yes, with Old Threehorns I am responsible for one), but unless there is some good explanation some of them just read like the authors satisfied their lust for blood and gore (sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's what the stories I was refering to sound like) at the expense of any real story.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
That is not Sky but Caustizer who said that.

Epic battles are cool but they cannot be a Big Lipped Alligator Moment; they need to make sense in context. For example, it makes perfect sense if the fan fic TWV were a movie but not in LBT IV.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Darn me :bang
I'm very sorry Caustizer. Obviously I did not look careful after seeing the new Avatar drawn by Sky.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I believe that there already was an epic battle between Littlefoot's mother and the sharptooth, but I know your definition of an "epic battle" is more warlike and probably involves more than two beings. I have to agree with Malte on the possibility of any sort of modern-style warfare in LBT without some sort of outside influence. It just doesn't really add up. The few fics that do have some sort of a Sharptooth army usually make the sharpteeth a fair bit more intelligent then they are portrayed in the series, or, in the case of my fic, having the fast-biters and smaller LBT carnivores perform a locust-like sweep into the Valley, or just a hit-and-run style attack for food. I would also like to add that the only reason the two prides in the Lion King 2 fought in a modern style was because of the slightly more civilized and structured nature of the two prides. Since the story was basically Romeo and Juliet with lions, Simba's Pride and the Outlanders basically acted as the houses of Montague and Capulet.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
not really my definiton of an epic battle can also be a duel but I'm just saying it would be interesting to see a Troy-style scene in LBT but nowhere near as graphic.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Serris,Nov 8 2009 on  11:51 AM
That is not Sky but Caustizer who said that.

Epic battles are cool but they cannot be a Big Lipped Alligator Moment; they need to make sense in context. For example, it makes perfect sense if the fan fic TWV were a movie but not in LBT IV.
I like to think of the entire LBT 13 as a Big Lipped Alligator Moment.

What about the locusts swarming the Great Valley at the beginning of LBT 5? That involved a lot of participants, a conflict, and a clear winner, though it was only epic in the same sense as the First Battle of Bull Run.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As I said, it needs to make sense in context but since the LBT office is closed... the only place you will see epic battles in LBT are in fan works.

On a side note, anyone besides me find that the music in the video clip sounds vaguely like part of the Halo main theme?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Nov 8 2009 on  11:54 AM
Darn me :bang
I'm very sorry Caustizer. Obviously I did not look careful after seeing the new Avatar drawn by Sky.
It's okay.  This new avatar is not Sky but actually a different character named Glide.  He's Sky's nemesis - mainly because he doesn't approve of Sky trying court his sister Star.

He's one of the more interesting characters in Far Away Home

Caustizer.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Aye, but it was drawn by Sky, wasn't it?

That involved a lot of participants, a conflict, and a clear winner, though it was only epic in the same sense as the First Battle of Bull Run.
Err... with the minor difference of more than 900 people being killed and more than 2500 wounded (many of whom were maimed for the rest of their lives) in this battle that is considered minor by comparison with the later slaughters of the Civil War?
No, I really don't see anything comparable to the monster of human warfare in LBT.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Nov 9 2009 on  04:18 AM
No, I really don't see anything comparable to the monster of human warfare in LBT.
Me, neither :exactly.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Nov 9 2009 on  11:15 AM
Me, neither :exactly.
Same here. And I, for one, am glad for it.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Caustizer's avatar has the hallmarks of Sky's style and I believe it was drawn by Sky.

--------------

Outside of fan fic, there is nothing comparable to Human or even Chimpanzee warfare.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sky drew my avatar for me... and I thanked him numerous times for it.  A part of me misses the good old Guardian Tank, but the new one is much more LBT-ish.

Caustizer.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think your new avatar looks pretty badass, Caustizer. :)

Getting back on topic, there's pretty much no way conventional war would work in LBT without some sort of outside influence, especially considering that most of the characters are peaceful herbivores who have no need for combat, other than for defense against predators.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Err... with the minor difference of more than 900 people being killed and more than 2500 wounded (many of whom were maimed for the rest of their lives) in this battle that is considered minor by comparison with the later slaughters of the Civil War?
I was referring to the fact that one side turned it's tail and fled relatively . The First Battle of Bull Run would not be considered epic, as you mentioned in your post, and neither would said scene from LBT5, despite it being the closest candidate, IMO.

I am not supporting the concept of warfare or suggesting it should be introduced into LBT, and I hope you didn't take my post as such.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
Epic Battles in Children's media?

See (or read):

1. The Hobbit - has an animated movie, and a live action film coming out in the next few years or so. (It was written to be a Children's book)

2. The Chronicles of Narnia - has many film adaptations including an old animated piece for Lion Witch and Wardrobe, and the Disney's live action masterpiece films for this series

3. Redwall - This entire series is loaded with epic battles! Has a whole animated series based off of three of the books. And it has a movie adaptation coming out in 2011 sometimes.

And countless other pieces of fiction. There has always been a source of violence, bloody or toned down in certain children's media. You just have to look around you :)