The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If We Hold On Together

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I do as well it was a very awesome and addictive chapter to read. It was well written and kept me very entertained.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh, I'm mad as shit right now... forgot to save progress of about 2000 words, guess how motivated I am right now to write that again?  :bang

Sorry but no update today, I'm not feeling like it   :neutral
Inactive, probably forever.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear it! Having lost a chapter before (and an 8000 word one at that) I can attest that it is an extremely unpleasant experience, and more than enough of a demotivator. Hopefully you're back on your feet soon!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear it! Having lost a chapter before (and an 8000 word one at that) I can attest that it is an extremely unpleasant experience, and more than enough of a demotivator. Hopefully you're back on your feet soon!
Thanks, I'm trying to beat this by working on Shorty's dark Past for now... it#s just so frustrazing since I had a pretty vivid writing style that day after reading your short story  ^^spike

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ugh, I'm mad as shit right now... forgot to save progress of about 2000 words, guess how motivated I am right now to write that again?
that s*cks...

after this happened dozen years ago, I have a rule:
save your progress each (some) minute(s)/paragraph(s), and save it in different file.  And have at least two more such backup files.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I absolutely agree with Snik. Google Docs is my personal preference because as long as I have internet, it autosaves, plus it can download stories as word documents.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I absolutely agree with Snik. Google Docs is my personal preference because as long as I have internet, it autosaves, plus it can download stories as word documents.
Here's the irony... I usually use that one but, since I got a cracked version of WOrd a while ago and didn't have internet when the idea came up, I started writing on Word and continued to do so... now I regret it :lol:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, guys, I'm not particularly happy with the one scene I had to rewrite but it still gets the same point across I think... I hope I'll be able to do better at chap 5 which I will have to recover completely... and since that one was highly dialogie-heavy...  :rolleyes:  You know how these always have a life of their own... :lol

Anyway, here ya go!

Chapter 4

As the Bright Circle once again rose on the following day, introducing a new day that appeared to be just as promising as the previous one, Cera and Littlefoot were the first to arrive at their usual meeting spot in the middle of a thick forest where most grown-ups couldn’t disturb them. Both of them had gotten an unusually early night’s rest so they had been up at the first sign of the approaching day. The Bright Circle had barely risen above the peaks of the Great Wall yet, clear skies and warm temperatures being perfect conditions for another day of hardcore gaming in the Valley if the weather didn’t change significantly - it had been raining for long enough the previous days as it was. However, the others had to join them first.

“Uuuuuuuuuhhhh… first they have to go early in the day and now they’re sleeping in, letting us stand around like a dump ol’ boulder!” Cera ranted to nobody in particular, constantly on the move, impatience gnawing at her mood.

“I’m sure there’s a reason why they had to go yesterday…” Littlefoot explained while eating some of the leaves that Cera had shaken off a tree earlier. The Threehorn seemed to have lost her appetite by now though. “And… it’sch schtill early…” he added with his mouth full of treestars which rendered his words of low quality though.

“I hate standing around doing nothing, it’s so pointless!” Cera continued though she sounded less angry now, reluctantly taking a few more bites.

“I know, Cera… but we can’t change that right now,” Littlefoot sighed, swallowing his current mouthful of food. “Well, I just hope that Ducky and Spike aren’t in trouble.”

“Well, if they are, they might not play at all today…” Littlefoot and Cera jerked when Petrie suddenly entered the clearing, gliding down from the crown of a tall tree where he had apparently been listening, though for how long was unknown.

“Petrie!” Cera shouted as soon as she had figured out that there was no threat lurking in the bushes, just Petrie landing with a soft thud on the branch of a tree above her. “You better stay up there… for your own safety!!!”

“Me scare Cera, me scare Cera…” the Flyer teased, laughing at the face Cera made as he said these words, fully aware of the risky nature of his actions.

“Gee, if that was wise?” Littlefoot mused to himself though still audible. “Anyway, I think you have a point, Petrie… oh, and hi.” He quickly greeted his friend while Cera met the Flyer with a stinging glare.

“Uhh yes, hi all,” Petrie chuckled. “So Ducky and Spike last to come?”

“Seems like it…” Littlefoot quickly answered.

“They better move their fat butts right into this clearing quick so I can make fast work of them…” Cera grumbled, her teeth gritted.

“Cera, enough now!” Littlefoot warned her – the Threehorn’s attitude once again reaching a potentially dangerous level.

“Humpff!” Cera turned away from Littlefoot and Petrie demonstratively.

“So uhh… what if they no can play today?” Petrie wondered, slight worry mixing into his, otherwise, cheerful mood.

“I don’t think that’ll happen, Petrie,” Littlefoot assured though he was just as uncertain. The whole scene the previous day had been highly curious and unusual in many ways – Littlefoot could almost smell that something was off as he had a sixth sense for these things sometimes. But his nature told him to assume the better of the available options. “They’ll be here soon, I know it.” He didn’t sound optimistic about it though.

“Me sure wish me knew what was reason…” Petrie sighed.

“Yeah, me too…” Littlefoot agreed, continuing his meal until he had enough.

Meanwhile some distance away…

Blinking her eyes, the girl was greeted by the warm rays of the Bright Circle, immediately blinding her blue eyes.

“Oww, I should not look into the Bright Circle like that, oh no no no…” Rubbing her eyes to get rid of the stinging sensation they were giving her, Ducky reluctantly got to her feet, knowing that there were few things more effective in waking her up than seeing light. Her mother knew all the tricks to get Spike and her out of the nest each morning. Therefore, Ducky was all the more surprised to realise she had woken up on her own.

Suddenly, a strange feeling sent a shiver down her spine. Ducky was so used to the usual morning routine that not waking up according to it made her feel uneasy. As soon as the blinding effect of the Bright Circle had disappeared again, the young Swimmer cast a look around.

“Spike is sleeping, no surprise… my siblings are over there at the rotten log sleeping… and my mommy is right here… sleeping too, yes she is…” That in itself was highly unusual but there was one thing catching the young one’s attention even more than that. “The Bright Circle is already high up in the sky, I sleeped-ed in, yes I did!” And with that realisation also came a second, much more important one. “My friends are waiting already, oh no!”

The fact that her mother was still sleeping despite having the most predictable waking rhythm of any dinosaur Ducky knew momentarily forgotten, Ducky was beginning to panic, knowing how mad Cera got whenever Spike didn’t get up in the morning. They needed to hurry… now!

“Spike!” Ducky yelled as loud as she could. Making noise was another trick that usually worked to get her to wake up permanently though Spike was in many ways a tough sleeper. The Swimmer noticed her siblings stirring in the distance but would Spike rise too? Much to her surprise, she didn’t have to yell a second time. Groggily, Spike opened his eyes with a confused expression on his features. Ducky wasted no more time.

“Get up, we need to hurry!” Ducky ordered, jumping from one leg to the other impatiently. “We sleeped-ed in, yes we did, and we must hurry now!”

Spike tried to protest weakly while some of their other siblings were also beginning to express their displeasure with their sister in the distance but Ducky couldn’t care less right now.

“You can eat breakfast later, now come on!” Ducky demanded gruffly, jumping onto the Spiketail, hopping up and down on his back to make him get up.

With reluctance and also a slight flavor of anger, Spike got moving, out of their nest towards their usual meeting place.

“Cera will be so so mad, yes she will…”

In her hurry, though, Ducky had completely forgotten about her mother who was still sleeping at the nest safe and sound…

Well, in response to your comments about chap 3... I think it's pretty clear I made you jump to the wrong conclusion :lol That meeting was so totally not important! It was just me trying to fill some space with familiar things as an introduction before we move into unknown territory. If it is a common request, however, I can make a spin-off once I've got the main storyline finished. I plan on writing some more chapters about the time after the story comes to its end (due to time restrictions, that is)

But... anyway, I hope you like the developments and wish me luck with that next chapter... I'd be happy if I can keep the events roughly the same since I don't remember what exactly happened, just roughly. Hadn't done proofreading n stuff like that yet which is usually when I get to read my own writing and really start memorising the new events that I've added. Especially when the story wrote itself again :p

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Enjoying this story so far! Hmmm, what could be happening with Ducky and Spike's mom? :blink:

This writing prompt is turning out to be really interesting! I'll be contributing something too, though I doubt it will be terribly exciting :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Enjoying this story so far! Hmmm, what could be happening with Ducky and Spike's mom? blink.gif

This writing prompt is turning out to be really interesting! I'll be contributing something too, though I doubt it will be terribly exciting dino_laugh.gif
Right, I mustn't forget to include the prompt in the next chapter, thanks for the reminder  :DD I already forgot it the first time I wrote it  :bang Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying it and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with even if it is much shorter :)

Can't promise yet whether I'll get that chapter done tonight but I'll try, okay?  :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Chapter 5:

After a while, the silence between the three friends was beginning to get very awkward – not to mention that Cera’s mood dropped further the longer she was forced to sit around, boring herself to death.

“So uhh, what you guys do for rest of day anyway?” Petrie finally spoke up to break the almost dangerous silence between them.

“Pissing off Tricia, do you ever listen?!” Cera snapped at the Flyer above her.

“Me do but me forget things,” Petrie replied, chuckling nervously.

“Say Cera…” Littlefoot, who had been deep in his thoughts until now, spoke up curiously. “Why are you so mean towards your sister? I’d love to have a sibling I could play with when you guys can’t play, you know?”

“Threehorns are mean, you should know that by now!” Cera declared defiantly, raising her tail high up in the sky.

“Well, me think you too mean too many times…” Petrie muttered under his breath though Cera heard him.

“What’dya say, Flyer?!” the Threehorn snarled viciously.

“N-nothing…” Petrie stuttered, instinctively preparing to take flight.

“That’s what I thought!”

“Well, how’d you like being pestered by Tricia if she were your older sister and not your younger sister?” Littlefoot interrupted his friends’ quarrel.

“SO what?!” Cera shot back angrily.

“You be bully just like Hyp!” Petrie accused from the top of his tree, Cera getting to her feet in agitation.

“Say that again, beakface!”

“Guys please!” Littlefoot sighed deeply. “Well, I’m not sure if I wanted to be your sibling, Cera, older or younger…”

“Who’d want a flathead as a brother anyway?!” Cera retorted furiously, pacing around.

“Hey!” Now Littlefoot began to take Cera’s bad mood personal, rising from his usual position at their meeting place too.

“Humpff!”

It was only until much later after she and Spike had covered quite some distance from their nest already that Ducky’s mind began to calm down enough to allow productive thinking again. It was only then, now that she wasn’t sleepy anymore, that she began noticing just how odd some things which were happening around her ever since the previous day actually were…

“Hmm, our mommy did not wake us up this morning, no she did not…” the Swimmer noted, trying to calm her nerves. Cera had been unusually snappy as of late and their late arrival surely wouldn’t be helping at all. “First my mommy is so tired from a meeting that she goes to sleep way before the night time… and now she is sleeping in, something must be wrong!” It was that moment when Ducky realised for the first time, that these two most odd events might have a connection after all. Though what did it mean? Was her mother really just tired and needed to catch some additional sleep? Ducky knew too well how it was like to be sleep-deprived after going on so many nightly adventures in her short life already. It wasn’t rare that she’d sleep through most of the day after such a stunt – and Spike was sleeping at every given opportunity as it was… but she had never witnessed her mother drawing apart from her tight sleeping schedule before.

“Something must be wrong, yes it must!” Ducky was beginning to feel the shiver down her spine return to her despite the day being warm and humid. It would probably be nothing but she just couldn’t choke back a small but significant pessimistic part of her mind which rarely made itself known to the young girl as it was. That alone was a worrisome sign; she had to talk to Spike about it!

“So uhh, what me was trying to say earlier… after me think a lot of time, me go visit Guido to spent rest of day, what ëbout you, Littlefoot?” Petrie spoke up again after a short break of Cera steaming and them exchanging a series of gestures in the Threehorn’s direction while she wasn’t looking.

“Well, like I said…” Littlefoot gestured. “I was pretty bored. That’s why I said I’d love to have a sibling, y’know? I ended up having to listen to stories of my grandpa that I’d already hear a thousand times!”

“Sound like fun…” Petrie commented.

“Oh, would you stop whining about not having brothers or sisters already?!” Cera ranted all of a sudden. “Actually, you have Shorty, isn’t that your brother now?”

“A brother who I see once a year? We’re not even related!” Littlefoot argued. “And, anyway, I’m not treating him like shit unlike you do with Tricia!”

“My siblings sometimes mean too…” Petrie mentioned but nobody really listened to him.

“For the record, I actually supervised her while she was headbutting rocks to test her strength, okay!?” Cera shouted, aggressively jumping towards the Longneck, almost as if she was going to enter a fight. “And now shut up, will ya!?”

Littlefoot indeed went silent for another few minutes, appearing thoughtful and concerned.

“Spiky?” Ducky spoke up unusually quiet as the Spiketail continued to hurry towards their meeting place. Upon hearing his big sister addressing him, he slowed down his speed a little, looking back to the Swimmer who was sitting on his neck with a concerned expression.

“I am a little worried about our mommy, yes I am…” the girl admitted hesitantly, looking at her brother expectantly, knowing that he’d have an answer. He always had one after all.

Spike fixated his gaze on Ducky for a moment before he replied in his unique way.

“Worry not, Ducky, I’m sure she just wanted to get some sleep this morning…” “Just like me…” the Spiketail added contemplatively, suppressing his anger about being woken up rough even by the standards he was used to – his family had tried every oh so mean trick to wake him up already as it was. In the end, holding his grudge never did him any good so he discarded his frustration about Ducky’s rudeness in the morning quickly. “Considering that Cera will spear us with her horns by the time we arrive… she certainly had a good reason to wake me up like that…”

“Yes, but what if something is wrong? She always wakes us up, yes she does! So why not today, huh?”

“She truly does do that every morning…” Spike would have sighed if he knew how to. As far as he was concerned if his mom wanted to sleep in instead of her usual habit of waking at daybreak then that was fine with him. Ducky’s behavior made him worry more than the actual problem though… if it was one to begin with. His sister was always happy and optimistic towards life. Seeing her in such a position of doubt and uncertainty made him feel bad for her so he tried to calm her nerves.

“I’m sure it’s nothing, Ducky. Now let’s hurry, I want to play a game, don’t you?”

“Mmh, I guess so…” Ducky mumbled, still pondering hard – the thought just wouldn’t let her go no matter how hard she tried.

“You know, Cera, sometimes I really wonder how I am still friends with you…” Littlefoot spoke up after a few minutes of silence between the three friends. The air was unusually thick as it was, literally and figuratively speaking. The rainfalls of the previous days had made the air heavy with humidity so it was unusually quiet where they were, far away from the loud, populated parts of the Valley as it was.

“While you only care for yourself and you not being entertained, Petrie and I are worrying about Ducky and Spike, you know? Just whenever you’re being nice for a while, you turn into an asshole all of a sudden again! I don’t get it; this is really not okay!” Littlefoot faced the Threehorn angrily.

“So what? That’s how I am, deal with it!” Cera huffed. “If you’re worried about them, don’t stand around here worrying! Do something! Yes! Do something and move your fat butt over to Ducky’s and Spike’s to see if there’s something wrong and don’t stand around here worrying like Petrie all day, geez!”

Littlefoot gave the Threehorn quite a stare after her rather blunt speech but he had to admit that Cera was right about one thing… as much as he hated to admit it. “I should really check back on them just in case…”

“You know what, I’ll even come along despite being an ëasshole’, okay? Are you happy now?!” Cera offered, aggressive but diplomatic all the same.

“Happy? No… but good to know you’re not completely unreasonable…” Littlefoot answered angrily. “Come Petrie…”

“Unreasonable?!” Cera spat that word out as if it was a piece of meat.

“At least I’m not getting upset about a silly game unlike you do…” Littlefoot muttered. “Now come along… unless you have something better to do!”

“Humpff! Just shut up already, do I even look like I have anything better to do?!”

Littlefoot deliberately turned away from the Threehorn without answering, taking her words quite literally. He knew Cera for too long already. If there was one thing she absolutely hated, it was being ignored. Petrie silently took off from his perch, having followed the intense argument silently lest to get himself into the focus of Cera’s bad mood again.

Without another word spoken, the sparks of electricity between the two friends almost visible, they started trotting though they didn’t get far…

Well, a little later than intended but here is the next chapter! Motivation stayed low after the loss of that chapter, unfortunately. I also think I wasn't able to recover the chapter as nicely as it was written before but at least it's about 500 words longer despite the dialogue lacking description a little(in my opinion, that is.)  :rolleyes Ducky's part got a bit longer and probably better than before but the fight between Littlefoot and Cera doesn't quite please me but oh well, as long as you enjoyed the chapter, I'm happy  ^^spike

oh, and guess what? I only noticed that I forgot to include the prompt again while posting this  :lol: Well, at least the story now officially qualifies lol.

With this chapter, I've also got a faint idea of how to name this story in the end. (Suggestions still more than welcome!!!) As always, things weren't planned when I started this, but, right now, it looks like there will be a second important theme in this story besides... well, you'll see soon enough :p

Anyway, now I can finally continue to advance the story, motivation has returned! I'll start working on chap 6 right now, maybe I'll get that one done too before it's getting too late ^^spike

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This chapter was awesome as usual. The argument the gang had about siblings was well thought out. I really enjoyed reading this chapter a lot great job on it.

The Wasp

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Man you've got me hooked. I love this story already.

I wonder what's making Cera so upset. She's gruff, but not usually that mean. And I'm kinda glad Littlefoot is sticking up for himself a bit, he's passive by nature but when pushed he can fight back. I hope whatever is going on with Ducky and Spike's mom isn't too serious as well. This is all very intriguing and I can't wait to read more.

Rock on man!

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Gotta say, I've been enjoying this so far, can't wait to see where it's going. :D

Hoo boy, Cera knows her swearing words in the last chapter and so does Littlefoot. How old is the gang in this story, have they reached "teenager status" yet? Seeing them swear like that kinda makes me think they do as I started to use words like that when I hit that age. xD

If you imagine them being in that age, the swearing does make sense, especially when it's an angry Cera talking. If they're still as old as we see them in the movies...well, artists have freedom. :D

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Same here this story is very good you're doing a amazing job with it. Looking forward to chapter 6

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Same here this story is very good you're doing a amazing job with it. Looking forward to chapter 6
Thanks again :) Glad you like the story.

That's great to know! Though you got me hooked with your fanfiction too ;)

I wonder what's making Cera so upset. She's gruff, but not usually that mean. And I'm kinda glad Littlefoot is sticking up for himself a bit, he's passive by nature but when pushed he can fight back. I hope whatever is going on with Ducky and Spike's mom isn't too serious as well. This is all very intriguing and I can't wait to read more.
Cera is in a very bad mood because
1. she's still somewhat mad at Littlefoot because they got into an argument during the game the previous day (off-screen though, I didn't think it would do the story any good to do more than just a mention since it'd be continued on the next day anyway)
2. Ducky and Spike are making her wait (Cera surely isn't a character who has a lot of patience...)
3. she's Cera duh  :lol She just loves getting herself into fights.

As for their mother, we shall see soon enough what's going on, anybody having guesses already? I won't confirm them either way but I'm curious :p

Gotta say, I've been enjoying this so far, can't wait to see where it's going. biggrin.gif
Thanks  ;)

Hoo boy, Cera knows her swearing words in the last chapter and so does Littlefoot. How old is the gang in this story, have they reached "teenager status" yet? Seeing them swear like that kinda makes me think they do as I started to use words like that when I hit that age. xD

If you imagine them being in that age, the swearing does make sense, especially when it's an angry Cera talking. If they're still as old as we see them in the movies...well, artists have freedom. biggrin.gif
Yes, the language was a bit rough in the last chapter, I'll admit that though nothing too extreme or was it? As for your question, I'd say slightly older than in LBT 14 (that's where I'd place the story anyway, leaving Ruby and Chomper out because I had no real purpose for them). What do the others think? If the language is too rough, let me know. I just think that an argument is hard to write in a realistical way without using such words occasionally, especially with the restriction of keeping swearing words LBT-ish (I can hardly have Littlefoot call Cera a b***, can I?  :rolleyes: )

Ahem, anyway, I should have the next chapter ready soon, just need to revise what I've already got since I uhh... got carried away  :lol:

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry for missing the last chapter. I've been pretty busy lately but let's see. Both of the scenes overlapping the two chapters were interesting and the brewing argument between Littlefoot and Cera was written well. I must agree that Cera got angry quite quickly but she had her reasons. Even if the argument had gone rather far, it was nice to see it calm down somewhat. But I don't think we've seen the last of their bilateral problems...

Ducky's mom seems to have a hard time but the reason is still unknown. Ducky's concern is understandable but so is Spike's hesitancy to worry. We'll see which one is right... Anyway, good job on these last two chapters.

The Wasp

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jan 21 2017 on  08:33 AM

That's great to know! Though you got me hooked with your fanfiction too ;)

Cera is in a very bad mood because
1. she's still somewhat mad at Littlefoot because they got into an argument during the game the previous day (off-screen though, I didn't think it would do the story any good to do more than just a mention since it'd be continued on the next day anyway)
2. Ducky and Spike are making her wait (Cera surely isn't a character who has a lot of patience...)
3. she's Cera duh  :lol She just loves getting herself into fights.

As for their mother, we shall see soon enough what's going on, anybody having guesses already? I won't confirm them either way but I'm curious :p

If you imagine them being in that age, the swearing does make sense, especially when it's an angry Cera talking. If they're still as old as we see them in the movies...well, artists have freedom. biggrin.gif
Yes, the language was a bit rough in the last chapter, I'll admit that though nothing too extreme or was it? As for your question, I'd say slightly older than in LBT 14 (that's where I'd place the story anyway, leaving Ruby and Chomper out because I had no real purpose for them). What do the others think? If the language is too rough, let me know. I just think that an argument is hard to write in a realistical way without using such words occasionally, especially with the restriction of keeping swearing words LBT-ish (I can hardly have Littlefoot call Cera a b***, can I?  :rolleyes: )

Ahem, anyway, I should have the next chapter ready soon, just need to revise what I've already got since I uhh... got carried away  :lol:

Thanks! A new chapter is up in the thread if you want to check it out.

I can only hope she's not dying because that would be a real kick in the head. Somehow, I sense that something else is up with Cera. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no excuse for her to act like that. Reminds me of LBT 1 Cera.

I don't mind the swearing. I think it's appropriate given their age and that they're older. I'm glad you made them bordering on their teen years. One of my biggest qualms with the show and the movies is that they just remained the same age.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If the language is too rough, let me know
*letting you know* ;)
I was surprised and confused actually when I read it.

I know there're popular famous fanfictions here with huge amount of rough swear words, but still...
What do you think, does your story so NEED in them? Especially in such big amount...

(Maybe it's just my personality. I'm some kind of "good boy" here in my life. XD not using bad words at all and feel pain when I hear them)

also I hope there's biiiiiig reason behind so that Littlefoot and Cera are acting like this... %O

The Wasp

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I say keep some of that strong language. They're still kids, but they're growing up ya know? It's what happens when you reach that age. Sometimes those words make statements that regular ones don't.