The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Metroid (all)

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Metriod Prime was Sweet but I never had my hands on the others for the Wii.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Anyone still into the Metroid Prime series will be pleased to know that Nintendo have announced that Prime 1 and 2 will be reconfiged for the Wii! In line with their Gamecube-Wii conversion titles like Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin, MP 1 and 2 are going to be fitted with the MP 3 control interface and re-released on Wii. I dunno myself, I'm a fan of the Prime series but I've already got them for GC and the games work just fine (except #2 is 60Hz only and my TV is too old to run at 60Hz dino_laugh.gif). I'm questioning whether it's worth getting them again just for the control mechs... dino_confused.gif I guess the biggest influencial factor for me will be the pricing. If it's any more than say 20 quid, I doubt I'll get it...
Yea i heard about that. I'll probably end up getting MP1 because i don't actually own it, my brother does, and he took it with him. If i end up loving MP1 enough with the new controls, i might have to get echoes as well.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
so new news regarding the Metroid Prime remakes. It turns out that a trilogy pack is going to be released near the end of August in North America for $50 USD, with both Prime 1 and 2 having the updated controls. I'm still unsure on whether or not im going to buy it or not, but i like the idea of not having to buy 2 separate games for MP1 and 2.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So a while back i said that after MP3, i was afraid there might be another metroid drought (where theres no metroid game for a long period of time. Last one was 8 years in between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime). Thankfully i'm wrong as Nintendo announced a new Metroid game comming in 2010 this morning at E3. A found a video on youtube that has the trailer for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYi1foGfgpY
I wasn't really to sure what the game was at first when watching the trailer until one of the people said "Any objections lady?". Anyone whos played Metroid Fusion will understand. It looks like the game itself will be set when Samus first gets her power suit, it also looks like theres a seen with mother brain shooting the hyper beam from Super Metroid, but i could be mistaken.

So whats your thoughts about this?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So a couple days ago, i bought Metroid Prime Trilogy and i just recently beat Metroid Prime. Despite beating the game over 5 times, i actually had lots of fun playing through it again, especially with the wii controls. Also, to my surprise, there has been quite a bit of minor changes to the game. Heres all the changes that i noticed:

-Log Book: The creatures list seems to be a bit more organized (with bosses down at the bottom of the list). Also, some of the pirate logs have been removed, most noticeably, the one called "Metroid Prime". The log stated that the Pirates found Metroid Prime somewhere in the mines, eventually captured it and studied it. It later got away. The reason why i never understood this log was because the chozo locked it in the cradle (impact crater). So how did it get out, and more importantly, how did it get back in? So i guess Retro removed it due to inconsistency. Also, in the options menu, the gamecube has been switched to a wii, for obvious reasons.

-The door to the plasma beam has rubble in front of it and needs to be destroyed by a power bomb. Im guessing this has to do with the sequence breaks that ive seen, where you would be able to get the Ice, Plasma, and gravity suit early (before even fighting Thardus).

-A very minor change, in one room in magmoor caverns, some of those fire turret things have been switched around.

-After the Omega Pirate has been defeated, the surrounding areas now have Fission Metroids (instead of having Fission Metroids only in the impact crater).

-Meta Ridley: Perhaps my favorite change, is that they gave ridley a couple more attacks. Now when he stomps the ground throughout the fight, his feet will light on fire and causing a shock wave to emit when he lands, it either needs to be jumped, or be far enough back. Also, when he is at 1/4 health and is stuck on the ground, he will sometimes jump into the air and land towards you, causing the shock wave. He will also sweep the area with his flame breath (twice when he starts to get lower health). And lastly, the time interval that he keeps his mouth open before his charge attack has been reduced, probably beacuse of the aim-free lock system thats been implemented. I actually found Ridley to be harder then Metroid Prime now, i ended up losing 4 energy tanks in that fight, and that wasn't even on hard! (i usually only lose 2 energy tanks on hard). If anyone wants, i was thinking on making a video of this fight, to show you the changes.

-Metroid Prime: very small change. Some of the ruts that you need to morph ball in the escape his charge attack have been removed. Subchamber 3 now has the middle one removed, and subchamber 4 only has the middle rut.

Thats all the changes that ive found when playing though the game, now im on to Metroid Prime 2.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about getting the Metroid Prime trilogy, even though I own the first two on Gamecube. Is it worth it?

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I enjoy the Metroid series almost as much as Zelda I've played a handful of the 2D games and enjoyed them although I didn't like Fusion so much since it was a bit linear and I love the Prime trilogy I only own Metroid Prime 1 but I've rented Metroid Prime 2 and 3 and they rock.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Aug 29 2009 on  02:21 PM
I'm thinking about getting the Metroid Prime trilogy, even though I own the first two on Gamecube. Is it worth it?
do you own the 3rd one? if you don't, then its a definite yes, as its the same price as the 3rd one, plus you get the other 2, with wii controls, which is awesome. I guess it all depends on how much you love the games. I've beaten all 3 games at least 5 times and im still having fun playing through them again.

enjoy the Metroid series almost as much as Zelda I've played a handful of the 2D games and enjoyed them although I didn't like Fusion so mush since it was a bit linear
Yea, I absolutely love the Metroid series. I even like it more then zelda (though its really close). I agree with Metroid Fusion being to linear, Super Metroid I believe is the best metroid game, with metroid prime coming 2nd.

Anyways, if your a really big metroid fan, then I highly recommend the game, even if you've played them before.

*Random Metroid Fact* the original concept for the NES Metroid was the combination of both Mario and Zelda. It had the platforming elements of mario, with the open world design of zelda.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just saw the trailer for Metroid Other M ,it was epic.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just saw the trailer for Metroid Other M ,it was epic.
I too fell for this trap  :bestsharptooth Then again, I was also excited that Metroid was't going back to the drought days of the 8 years between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion/Prime. Turns out it was after this game we would have to wait 7 more years for Samus Returns to get released.
That being said, the main gripes I had with the game are with how the story was executed, given that Sakamoto had complete control, and clearly not much experience, over the writing and voice direction. On a high/conceptual level the story seemed like it could actually be interesting. Also doesn't help that Samus says "baby" like 500 times  :PLoofah

Anyways, randomly deciding to revive this topic due to Metroid Dread almost releasing (still feels weird to say after all those rumours back in the day haha). I really enjoyed Samus Returns. The melee counter was pretty neat and allowed enemies to be way more aggressive, and the boss fights, particularly the Metroid Queen, were some of the best 2D Metroid bosses that I can recall playing. Glad to see all of that coming back in this game.

I'm also happy that the story is going the way I hoped after seeing the secret lore picture at the end of Samus Returns with the Chozo killing off one of the leaders and leaving SR388. When I saw that I thought it would be cool to have a follow up game involving that bad Chozo, and that seems to be what we're getting with this game. Also cool to finally see a sequel to Fusion too (plus that new suit does look pretty cool).

Last noticeable point is that in the Dread Report Vol. 4, it mentions this:
The Super Metroid game can be said to offer the greatest flexibility for exploration in the series. You can enjoy similar flexibility in the Metroid Dread game, depending on how you take advantage of your abilities. You might be able to find ways to obtain weapons, items, and abilities earlier than the intended timing. We encourage you to try to discover alternate routes of exploration.
That alone got me pretty hyped, and even if it ends up not being as crazy as Super Metroid in terms of sequence breaking, I'll take anything I can get haha.

So is anyone else looking forward to playing this?