The Land Before Time > 1988 Theatrical Release

Tell Your Story About LBT

<< < (2/35) > >>

action9000:
I was a bit of a dinosaur fan as a kid, especially of the "main" dinosaurs known at the time: 'brontosaurus', triceratops, Tyranosaurus, diplodocus, etc.  My mom caught onto this pretty fast, and she bought book after book after computer simulation after movie about dinosaurs.  I first watched the original LBT as a child, perhaps 5 or 6 years old.  My Mom showed it to me for the first time.  It actually didn't have very much of an impact on me at the time, but I didn't Dislike it.  

Enter LBT 2: My mom bought it for me soon after it came out, and I immediately fell in love with it!  I must have watched it countless times, when I was between about 7 and 11 years old, and I never grew tired of it.  The same went with LBT 3. I never got into LBT 3 Quite as much as a child, but I still wanted to watch it sometimes.  My Mom also got me LBT 4 when it came out, as I loved the first 2 sequels.  I just couldn't get into LBT 4 as much as 2 and 3 for whatever reason.  I think I expected more adventure, and more time in the valley of Mists than there actually was.  I  guess I just expected more cool hazards and fun stuff to happen in the valley of mists, and I wasn't a fan of the "grandpa gets sick so let's find a flower to heal him" story.  

By the time I was 13, I basically stopped watching the LBT movies, except on very rare occasions.  A few years pass where LBT has little to no effect on me, aside from the very occasional viewing.  I think I watched one sequel Once between the ages of 13 and 17.

When I turned 17, a turnaround came about.  My girlfriend at the time and I plugged in the original LBT, because we both enjoyed it and haden't seen it for years.  This rekindled my interest in the series, and I started watching the sequels 2 through 4 on VHS on a fairly regular basis.  Eventually, I started surfing the Internet for LBT-related items; music, sheet music, collectibles, artwork, and forums.  That led me here, novemeber of 2005.  I steadily found and watched the remaining LBT sequels on DVD. I didn't particularily enjoy the Grosvenor sequels (5 onward) at first, because of the radical change in style of animation, voice actors, etc. but it eventually grew on me, and I watched them all regularily for some time.

And here I am. :P:

I don't often watch a LBT movie nowadays, but may once again, in the near future :)

Highsoar:
My parents took me to the theater to see the first one. I had to be about 7 since it came out in 88. Mom got the tape of the original but it was before the case type containers, it was just a box type cover (it's gone now :( ) The first tape wore out after a while and we had to get a new one...that was when the post office was selling them with the stamps.

I recall quite a bit of the Pizza Hut thing...I once had Ducky and Spike puppets and got Littlefoot later on but the darn things got lost in moving :( I also had two storybooks but am down to one now.

I had most of the sequels at one point but no longer do...I've thought about taping them off Cartoon Network but have never gotten around to it. I still have, I believe, 2,3 and 7 plus the sing a long.

Malte279:
My Dad, my sister and I went to see the land before time when it was released over here in 1989. I must have been five years by that time. Funnily enough the only clear memory I still hold to that day is not of the movie itself, but to something I saw en route to the cinema. A commercial sign on a wall. The sign was in the shape of a blue and golden four-pointed star with the lower point being longer than the others points. The sign was attached to building's wall of dark grey / silvery stone. I have absolutely no idea why this star stuck to my memory rather than anything else. The movie itself must have an impression too though as in the years to come lets pretend land before time games were among the most popular games I played with my best friend back then.
The cinema in which I watched LBT for the first time has been closed several years ago, but the building still exists (an issue of protection of historic monuments prevents any major changes being made on the old cinema building). The blue and golden star too is gone, but the building and the wall on which it was attached are still there.

novaflare:
I was 16 was at my friends house who was 13 at the time his little sister had just had her bday the day befofre and had just turned 11. I stoped by me and matt had plans to go do some hikeing in  the woods down by my place. But his dad had decided quite spur of the moment to take them to the theator to see this new "bluth film"  Being that i was a bluth fan any ways and his dad knew it he says hey why dont you come aloong. So i did. Chances are it would have ended there but then shortly before nuumber 2 came out i read who was doing the voice oers. Noticed most were not the same people. I had already read about various things about judith barsi like how she was a ocomplished adliber and a bit of a line theif and every one loved her in the cast. So i wondered why she did not do ducky for number 2. I dug deeper. Need to remember in 93 94 the net was still a very young place. Months of searching later in every thing from telnet gofer space to aols search and meta crawler i found out that she had been murdered. At this point i re watched the original land before time while waiting for number 2 to hit the shelves.

Land before time went from being a simple movie to a almost video memorial in my eyes and still remains as such today. So even if a given movies story is a bit lacking il still watch it because of that.

Digi-Dragon:
How'd I get into it? ... Man, I don't even know...

Well, the movie came out before I was even born, so I know I didn't see it in theaters... I only have it as a recorded-tape instead of a bought one, and there's a show for toddlers on before it. My brother saw the original at a friend's house when he was maybe four or something (he was born the year LBT went into theaters), and then he recorded it or asked my parents to when it came on television. I don't remember much of seeing it the first time, except that I always laughed at Petrie, and I was sobbing when Littlefoot's mother died. I remember seeing it many more times with my brother, and apparantly I loved the series a lot, because we would always play pretend with an old "friend" of my brother's (AKA girl who would hang around with him and had a crush on him). I wanted to be Cera, but the other girl always claimed that role, so I was Ducky instead. My brother was Littlefoot and we'd always have adventures about being chased by sharpteeth and such. I would "talk" to Spike even though we had no one to play him, and I would sometimes make comments for Petrie.

I don't remember a specific time before getting LBT 2, but I remember after that my brother would sometimes be Chomper as well, most often in a scenerio where he was older and could talk (you have no idea how thrilled he was when we got LBT 5). LBT 3 came along and there was no big change. We got the Sing-A-Long Songs and I would watch it every day until I had memorized most of the songs on it.

When LBT 4 came around, I was estatic because the Apatosaurus/Brontosaurus type dinosaurs were my favorites, and I loved seeing a female one. When it came time to play pretend again, I wanted to be Ali, but my brother told me I couldn't because he was Littlefoot. I didn't understand him at the time, but after another viewing or so I did. :lol

We first watched LBT 5 at my grandmother's house, and I was singing the songs constantly (along with crying at "Always There"). We sang "Friends for Dinner" and "Big Water" in the car ride home (for two days) until my parents told us to be quiet. At this point, I was extremely obsessed. We got LBT 6 and my obsession intensified. At this point, I was expecting a new movie every year, and when 1999 rolled around and I got no LBT 7, I was disappointed.

Somewhere between 6 and 7, my brother stopped playing pretend. It was understandable, as he was eleven and had friends of his own, but I was a naive little girl and wasn't good at making friends. I wasn't atheletic, so I spent my time in my imagination, playing anything with the few kids I could and using the television to cultivate my creative side. Sadly, no one I played with knew of LBT.

When LBT 7 unexpectedly hit shelves, I went to get it, but a little half-heartedly. My obsession was waning, and when LBT 8 came out it took me at least a month to pick it up. I wasn't even keeping track of releases, and school work pulled me away from LBT 9, which I still have to see.

I saw LBT 10 at Blockbuster one day and wanted to rent it because of the word 'Longneck' in the title. I remembered Ali, my favorite character from when I was younger, and figured she'd be in it. I was very disappointed to learn she wasn't, but pleased to find Littlefoot's mother hadn't been forgotten.

I heard of LBT 11, but I was now in the dreaded Junior High School and therefore had no time to watch old children's cartoons, as I thought. By the time I could've watched it, my interest was gone, and the movies I owned, 1 through 8 and the first Sing-a-Long just sat discarded on my shelf like most of the other movies from my childhood.

Well, it was actually only a week ago when I can say I got back into LBT. I admit I'd heard of the series, and I'd wikipedia-ed LBT 12 when I was bored one day (a habit of mine ever since discovering the website), but I merely sighed because I figured the series was only being milked now and had lost all the messages of the old ones, and the characters of my childhood. I was looking through the Digital Cable Guide last week (another habit of mine), and decided to see what was on Cartoon Network while I was gone. I grinned upon seeing one of the movies would be on (LBT 5, I think), and then saw the series would be before it. I shrugged and looked at the summary to find myself squealing for joy like a little child. My old obsession with Ali had paid off, because the episode that would be coming on was the one she made her re-appearance in. I set a tape and decided to see if the series was worth my time. When I got home from school and watched it, I found myself slightly disappointed, but also wanting more. I took out my old tapes and began to view them, and set another tape for the next morning. It was only by chance that I happened upon this website while searching for a place to listen to "Always There", and here I am.

I'm hoping when I get enough money (ie during the summer), I can go and buy the rest of the movies and perhaps get DVDs of ones I already have. Needless to say, I'm quite obsessed with the films again, and Littlefoot's mother's death still makes me cry. :DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version