The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've added a sidebar feature to my main website and I was wondering if it was a good idea.  I'll have to make my banners considerably longer and it doesn't look to hot on resolutions 1024X768 or below.  What do you guys think?  The sidebar is only on the main page right now even though I applied it to all of them.  Freewebs is being a bit buggy today.

www.landbeforetime.co.nr

Some uses for the sidebar include a mini slide show, site news, affiliates, links to new pages (so I can clean up my navbar), and I can even put a mini forum there.  What do you guys think?  Is it worth it or does it look funny?  I must say I hated it on my really old laptop that has a resolution of 1024X768, but it looks okay on all larger resolutions.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yes that works well. I've used sidebars on my own sites in the past.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like the ideas of sidebars.  Sidebars also let folks navigate faster also I would guess.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm just worried about people with resolutions of 1024x768 and below.  It doesn't look to good because it takes up the entire screen width wise.  Maybe it's my widescreen monitor trying to display 1024x768, but it looks terrible and you can't even see the background.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I did a little test with your "concerned" settings, and it does seem to take up the whole screen, though I really don't mind.  Besides, someone with half the knowledge I hold on computers knows you need the correct Display settings of your computer to make it look good and be able to navigate everything properly.

I don't think it's something to be too concerned about. :)