The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Centennial of WWI

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I find it sad that the scars of a hundred year old war still haven't fully healed. Of course, how could they? It led directly into something that was even worse.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today's 100th anniversary is the start of the Battle of Cambrai, one of the first major offenses in which the use of tanks played a significant role in warfare.

I found an article a few days ago about this battle:
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/how-476-tanks-attacking-massive-assault-during-world-war-i-23134?page=show

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today's 100th anniversary is the Halifax Explosion, which occurred in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, when a cargo ship loaded with munitions and explosives collided with another ship, caught on fire, and later exploded. With the energy of nearly 3 kilotons of TNT, it was the largest non-natural explosion to have ever occurred, prior to the invention of nuclear weapons. The devastating explosion killed 2,000 people, injured 9,000, and caused extensive damage to much of the cities of Halifax and Dartmouth on both sides of the harbor, with almost every building within 2.5 kilometers of the explosion completely destroyed.

(I wasn't sure if this should be given its own topic, but I figured it was at least somewhat related to the war, considering the kind of cargo that caused the explosion.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Next week will be the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
 yes November 11th at 11 am. theres finally going to be a World War I Memorial, although it wont be finished for a few years. Ironic that the Second War World gets a memorial before the First World war.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
100 years ago today, an armistice was signed ending the First World War. Millions of lives lost and minimal results, nobody could be said to be true "winners" of this conflict, which was sparked by dangerous nationalism and pride. Lest we forget where nationalism leads, I'd like to present a tabulated list of the dead:

Great Britain: 997,000
France: 1.39 million
Italy: 340,000
United States: 116,000
Russia: 1.7 million
Germany: 1.85 million
Austria-Hungary: 1.2 million
Turkey: Approximately 350,000

Ask yourself if such tremendous loss of life is really worth it to prove one's superiority over another. These losses are staggering, and one can easily say that a generation in Europe in particular was wiped out. Both of my cousins, two brothers from upstate New York, enlisted, and both were killed. Let's honor the dead, and never forget the tragedy that tore Europe apart for four years 100 years ago.

On an interesting side note, I do have the newspaper showing the pictures of my two cousins who enlisted. One was an infantryman, the other a machine gunner. Robert, the infantryman, had enlisted, and his older brother Peter had tried to get a draft exemption as he was needed on the farm after their father died, but the exemption was denied, so he too went over to France.

Peter, the machine gunner, died first at the age of 28 during German shelling on July 15, 1918, which was the opening date of the Second Battle of the Marne.

Robert survived a bit longer, being killed on September 6th, 1918, at the age of 25. He died during the American followup to the German retreat after the Battle of Fismes had been fought.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:04:17 PM by Pterano »

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
The First World War, justifiably referred to as the first modern war, has changed world history in the last hundred years drastically, both technically and politically. Even though the years that followed became turbulent, it was perhaps the first step towards international peace. Nevertheless, I am sure that this merciless war showed that the mutual hatred of imperialism could not continue.
All honors to the victims of the First World War. They did not fight in vain. May they be remembered forever.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
a good series to watch about the War is the Youtube channel The Great War. It's all about the first world war, I've learned so much about the war from the channel. I don't really know if any of my family served in the war. But may we always remember those who lost their lives in the war and those who survived. Lest we forget.

In Flanders fields the poppies glow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
  That mark our place; and in the sky
  The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
  Loved and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
  The torch; be yours to hold it high.