The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land Before Time fancomic

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm currently working on a short fancomic taking place before the Land Before Time TV Series. It will tell the story of how Chomper met Redclaw, and why Redclaw is hunting him and his leaf-eater friends down.  This story is unofficial, not canon.

So far I have only gotten the cover colored. This picture, however, is incomplete, the comic has yet to have a name. But I figured I would post the incomplete picture now anyway.

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Inf...comiccover2.jpg

I will update as soon as possible with the completed cover. I will update when I can with a new page of the comic. Expect page 1 soon.

EDIT: Comic cover has been completed.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
very cool. Only thing is i never did like photo bucket but ahh well canmake a exception for this i think. I like slibe my self for this my gallery would also work well maybe mirror at a couple places lol.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I'm going to be uploading the pages onto Photobucket.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Hmm. Not bad. Not bad at all, but like everything, it could use some work, which it will receive, not being finished yet. Keep it up, and hone those skills. We could be looking at a solid comic project here.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, the black lines of the color borders shouldn't be so broad. They kind of resemble the color borders of an image from a coloring book (no offense). If at all possible, you should use a thinner art tool for the black lines.

The adult sharpteeth should probably be more like the typical character design of sharpteeth in the series (unless you want them to look different for some reason).

Lastly, the shadowing could be more subtle and could use some fixing. From what I can guess in the image, the sun is angled to be somewhere far behind them and it looks like they're up on a slanted piece of land or something, like its reaching the tail end of the day or if its still morning, so the shadows on the side of the characters in the image that we're looking at probably should emcompass that entire side with a little sun driving away the edges of the shadows

Is there any particular reason the two sharpteeth at the top of the landscape only have two toes?

Um, that probably sounded brutal, but really, there's nothing about the image that's an eye-bleeder, really. It could just use some workin those areas.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,May 6 2007 on  11:08 PM
Well, the black lines of the color borders shouldn't be so broad. They kind of resemble the color borders of an image from a coloring book (no offense). If at all possible, you should use a thinner art tool for the black lines.

The adult sharpteeth should probably be more like the typical character design of sharpteeth in the series (unless you want them to look different for some reason).

Lastly, the shadowing could be more subtle and could use some fixing. From what I can guess in the image, the sun is angled to be somewhere far behind them and it looks like they're up on a slanted piece of land or something, like its reaching the tail end of the day or if its still morning, so the shadows on the side of the characters in the image that we're looking at probably should emcompass that entire side with a little sun driving away the edges of the shadows

Is there any particular reason the two sharpteeth at the top of the landscape only have two toes?

Um, that probably sounded brutal, but really, there's nothing about the image that's an eye-bleeder, really. It could just use some workin those areas.
I agree with WR.  Also, could you at one point explain HOW they got off that island?  It would be interesting to see how they got off of it. :)

Anyways, this is looking good so far.  Keep it up! :^.^:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The borders aren't being created by a pen tool. I am enlargening the work area in MS Paint and moving the image to create the border. The borders are not really that big on their own, but they do become broader when I combine the image with another one.

This is the first time I'm trying to make comic-like pages, so it'll take some practicing before I get it right.

If you are referring to using the LBT style, I chose not to use that style for my comic. LBT is a tough style for me to draw in, so I chose to draw them in my design so it would be easier for me.

Shadowing? I'm not using shadows for the comic pages. I don't typically see shadowing in the movie series or TV series, so I felt it would make more sense if I leave the shadowing out.

I must admit I am horrible at backgrounds. That is why the background is very simple, for now anyway. For what I have planned later on, I'll have to do more than just slap a simple ground for a background.

Oh and about the "two toes thing", that depends on the angle itself. Perception. Front and profile views of the feet do show all 3 toes. But when viewed from the side, only 2 toes are visible. It wouldn't make sense to show all 3 big toes in a sideview.

But anyway thanks for the critique. I'll work on thinning up the borders for the next page.

I agree with WR. Also, could you at one point explain HOW they got off that island? It would be interesting to see how they got off of it.

I have not really planned, initially, to explain how they got off the island as I could not come up with any theory I like. I am at a good part where they could explain how they got off, though, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
seems pretty interesting, keep up the good work!

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Perhaps the tide went down, or an earthquake "magically" opened up another land path. If the 13th movie explains how Chomper and Ruby got to the Great Valley, i am sure that we will learn how Chomper got off of the island.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Page 3: http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Inf...Tcomicpage3.jpg

This has got to be my least fav page so far. I hate how Chomper's mom and Chomper himself turned out on this page. And I also made a typo. It should say "Sharpteeth should never befriend a leaf-eater!" not "Sharptooth should never befriend a leaf-eater!"

And I just realized I called the female sharptooth "Goldeye" instead of "Goldclaw". Nuts.

Note: Goldclaw and Sly were the names I gave Chomper's parents in Out of the Shadows.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Really great!  Are you using Photoshop?  If not you really should.  With this program, you can take real screenshots of the movies and alter them in such a way that they look completely realistic!  With the advanced magic wand technology, you could completely get the entire character without any of the background getting onto the picture.  I have photoshop on my mac but I don't use it too much because my mac can't connect to my wireless network.  I'm trying to get it onto my pc though.  If you are not using Photoshop than what program are you using?  Are you making these on a mac or pc?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm using a combination of MS Paint and Photoshop. MS Paint is mainly used just to fix the black lines before I color, for adding in the black borders, and to fix any white space I come across after coloring. And I use it to add in the dialouge.

Photoshop CS2 is where I do the coloring and resizing.

I use a PC.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Good job Kacie :)
I like the way you are working with the faces of the characters. Chomper really looks very distressed at the idea of his parents' intention to go to the Great Valley. Speaking of idea, I like the idea of showing some family intern conflict about Chomper's befriending leafeaters. While we have very often discussed the problems Littlefoot and the others might have to explain their friendship with a predator to their folks we never paid much attention to the reaction of Chomper's folks to his befriending leafeaters.
This may be because we already saw some reaction in LBT 5, a reaction however that was very much under the impression of Littlefoot saving Chomper under the eyes of his parents. While Chomper's parents would not see the leafeaters as a thread to Chomper's safety (as which Chomper might perhaps be regarded by the folks of Littlefoot and the others), they might well see them as a thread to Chomper's sharptooth identity (translated as becoming "weak" and "hesitant" into the jargon of the sharpteeth). LBT 5 does show that there is some concern about this (in the sharpteeth subtitle during the song "Friends for Dinner"). You are making the whole conflict more interesting by not just making it Chomper vs. his parents but also making one of Chomper's parents more tolerant than the other.
Anyway, back to the comic:
I can't quite agree on that one. As far as I'm concerned the lines are quite thin (not too thin) already. Perhaps one might even make those lines which are very close to the eye of the viewer compared to other lines in the picture (e.g. the lines of the parent's leg in the second panel of the first page) a bit broader (but this is just a suggestion of which I don't really know if it would be an improvement).
I know nothing about how to create shadows with photoshop, but if it doesn't take too much trouble I think it would be an improvement. Even if the character's themselves would not be shadowed I guess it would look better if we saw their shadows on the ground.
Speaking of the ground, you claim to be horrible at backgrounds. Having seen your art at deviantart I must disagree with you on that one. The backgrounds in the pictures in which you used a background are quite good. I assume the sharpteeth in the comic are supposed to be in a very arid country. I think it could be made much more interesting if you scattered a few rocks and boulders, or possibly some skeleton or whatever else one might expect to find in such a wasteland. It would probably be some work, but it would also be some improvement.
One thing that really strikes me is the way you used colored airbrush lines to ascribe the text-bubbles to the characters. I know hardly anything about photoshop so far and it is probably tricky to create a text-bubble with a sharp white "pointer" as we know it from most comics. Still I think it would be a lot better if it was done that way, or at least if the colors of the airbrush lines would be identical (preferably white) rather than one for each characters.
There is one thing I noticed about the talk of the Sharpteeth. They mention the "Mysterious Beyond". I wonder if anyone but the residents of the Great Valley would even use that term to refer to the lands outside the Great Valley. It is the land they have been living on all the time. I doubt they would use that term.
In general I suppose Sharpteeth may have some terms the leafeaters wouldn't know about (but this is a topic for an own thread).
I'm looking forward to see the story continue Kacie  :yes

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Looking very good.  I pretty much agree with what's been said in terms of future ideas for plot fillers.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One thing that really strikes me is the way you used colored airbrush lines to ascribe the text-bubbles to the characters. I know hardly anything about photoshop so far and it is probably tricky to create a text-bubble with a sharp white "pointer" as we know it from most comics. Still I think it would be a lot better if it was done that way, or at least if the colors of the airbrush lines would be identical (preferably white) rather than one for each characters.

The reason why I do it that way is because I do not know how to use the "pointers" yet. The different colored lines were inspired by a webcomic I saw upon which, at one point, the artist had used different colored "pointers" for each individual character.

Speaking of the ground, you claim to be horrible at backgrounds. Having seen your art at deviantart I must disagree with you on that one. The backgrounds in the pictures in which you used a background are quite good. I assume the sharpteeth in the comic are supposed to be in a very arid country. I think it could be made much more interesting if you scattered a few rocks and boulders, or possibly some skeleton or whatever else one might expect to find in such a wasteland. It would probably be some work, but it would also be some improvement.

They are just at the point where there isn't really anything at all. But in the next couple pages I'll start putting in more things, as I would have to for what I have planned.

There is one thing I noticed about the talk of the Sharpteeth. They mention the "Mysterious Beyond". I wonder if anyone but the residents of the Great Valley would even use that term to refer to the lands outside the Great Valley. It is the land they have been living on all the time. I doubt they would use that term.

I could not come up with a good name for what they might call their land, so I stuck with Mysterious Beyond. I didn't see a problem with it.

Anyway there are 3 more pages coming before I have to scan in some more pages I recently drew.