The Gang of Five
Howdy, everyone!

The member joining awards for 2019, 2020, and 2021 have been posted. We admins would like to thank each and every one of you who have made the forum their home over these years. It is because of people like you that the forum is the welcoming place that it is. :)

The forum supporter awards for those who maintained the forum on Patreon in 2023 will also be up shortly. Again, thank you all for what you do to keep our little corner of the Internet online!

War Of The Worlds

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://s8.invisionfree.com/AvP2000
any one here seen the new War Of The Worlds? its awsome! the Tripods looked great! and the action was awsome!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've seen it, once, but I walked out of the theater about 3/4 through it, and I don't plan on rewatching it. I much prefer the original because its much closer to the book in spirit, rather than a typical Hollywood rollercoaster.

Ten bucks says I get chewed out for saying this as well.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I found the Spielberg version of "War of the Worlds" too much stressed the horror elements (too much nasty stuff) and thereby neglected the book. While I wouldn't ever leave a cinema once I have paid to watch a movie (you got to pay a lot over here) I pretty much share your opinion on this movie WR.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My English class in junior high (grade 8 or 9, I believe) read the radio show script to the original War of the Worlds as a study, along with listening to a tape recording of the radio show.  I feel lucky to have had this experience, as it demonstrates how the story was percieved in its day.  It was very well done too, I may add. :yes

I never saw any films based on it though.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I normally don't walk out of cinemas, either, but I just couldn't take the blatant book butchery anymore. Oh, what happened to you, Spielberg?!  :cry
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf