The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Web-Safe Resolution Standards

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well my projector can go up to 1400x1050, but I like to keep it at 1024x768 for a comfortable reading level.  This shouldn't be a problem when browsing websites because 1024x768 is the web design standard.  You're not supposed to make any website that won't be able to display nicely on a 1024x768 resolution, but many websites are doing that now. :anger

Go ahead and look at any of my websites on a 1024x768 resolution.  Do you have to scroll horizontally in order to see all of the content?  Of course not because 1024x768 should be your standard.  Web designers are supposed to design all their websites on a 1024x768 resolution so they look decent on that resolution and larger one's too.  I'm running into MANY websites where I have to scroll over horizontally in order to see everything. :bang Geeze, that's what happens when a web designer thinks he knows best and strays away from the standards.  It just pisses me off because I NEED to use 1024x768 on my projector so I can comfortably read what's on the screen. <_<

I know Petrie can sympathize with me because he uses 1024x768 too.  I'm just wondering how he lives at that resolution with so many web designers breaking the rules. :neutral

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, all things considered.  I think this comes from those that are inexperienced with web designing. (Or in quite a few cases, those who have a nice ego.) Plus, a good number of people who make a website, have ONLY their computer to make a good assumption of what's acceptable.

I see just fine with my resolution, which is 1280x1024.  Anything else, and the Desktop Icons just don't look right to me. :P:

We also need to value the fact that some may want to put MANY icons onto their Desktop for one reason or another.  Which of course means a certain size resolution. :D

To some, it's just a feel of everything, and when you have to design it differently because of how you feel, major problems arise for others. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry Pokeplayer but that's not it.  I'm not looking at websites that have been designed by a rookie.  I'm looking at larger websites that have been professionally designed with a $20k+ design price tag.  It's conceited individuals that think they know best that screw up the system. <_< There are standards and rules for a reason.

And even rookies should be able to design websites according to standards.  Just dumb down your resolution to 1024x768 when you're making your basic design.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Correction...my laptop screen is at 1280 x 768 (its a widescreen).  People are making things for widescreen monitors and that's why people don't follow the 4:3ish standard of 1024 x 768.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I almost want to do another resolution poll.  I'm really curious how common 1024x768 is anymore.  Many computers at the end of the CRT days were switching over to 19" screens, which work great on 1280x1024.  As of the LCD days, especially fairly recently, 19" - 21" screens are pretty standard, giving most systems resolutions significantly higher than 1024x768, such as 1440x900 or even 1680x1050.

With LCDs, working in the native resolution is very important!  The only LCDs that are 1024x768 will be 17" 4:3 models, and perhaps some 19" 4:3s.  Even my second monitor, a 17" LCD, has a native resolution of 1280x1024 and it's a very low-quality monitor.

To me, this almost looks like 1024x768 is starting to become obsolete and therefore maybe ought to not be the standard in the near future.  As the world moves to widescreen, perhaps 1440x900 or 1280x800 ought to become closer to a new standard.

That being said, 1024x768 websites are very functional on nearly every screen size and will probably be around for a long time until nearly all of these monitors disappear from the world.

I'm a fan of being able to design by ratio whenever possible.  In the LBT game I'm coding, the resolution dictates the scale of every 2d graphic in the game.  The position and size of every 2d image are all percents and ratios and scales beautifully, looking the same, no matter the resolution.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well let me just say this Action....the standard web-safe resolution was 800x600 just a few years ago. :p I admit that I don't use 1024x768 at all except for my projector.  Nowadays if you're a respected web designer you don't design a website so it won't work with the current web standard.  Go ahead an look at eBay, nationalgeographic.com, or any other major website and it'll work with 1024x768 perfectly.