The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

1.6tb SSD

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
You'd have to sell your house to afford this puppy, but just the fact that it's out is very encouraging.  It uses the SCSI interface because it was a prototype and never really intended for release.  In fact the makers refuse to divulge the price.  I guess it's not for sale.  But they DID make a 1.6tb SSD.  Geeze, I thought it'd take a few more years for SSD's to even BEGIN to surpass regular hard drives, but I guess I was wrong.  I'm guessing in 5 years most members here will have computers powered by SSD's. :p

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Digital technology.... it never ceases to amaze....

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The rate and speed at which it progresses can be amazing indeed, and how far it can progress as well.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Are there any tests of longetivity of ssd cards?  I know usb has so many read/write cycles before they give up the ghost...what about ssd?  Do you know Austin?  I just think too many read/write cycles will kill these flash memory type storage devices faster than their metal counterparts.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Are there any tests of longetivity of ssd cards? I know usb has so many read/write cycles before they give up the ghost...what about ssd? Do you know Austin? I just think too many read/write cycles will kill these flash memory type storage devices faster than their metal counterparts.

They can't be 100% sure because they can't really test it in real life, but according to their models you'd have to fill and delete this SSD at it's highest read/write speed for 260+ years before you saw any signs of degradation.  I can't wait till hard drives go the way of the dinosaurs. :D  :yes  :smile