The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Beating What You Thought to be Impossible

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ever played a game where you were at a part that you just believed to be utterly impossible all because of how hard it really is to beat, but then you suddenly beat it with hardly an explanation except for your shear determination to win?

Talk about them here.

Lately, I've been having such an experience.  You see, I was hardly considered to be good at the games of the past, back during 8-bit, and the Virtual Console on the Wii is proving that I still struggle with them.  It wasn't until 16-bit hit that I actually got good at games.

The only games I beat before the 16-bit era were "Mickey's Mousecapade" and "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out".  Though winning against Tyson was THE luckiest thing ever for me, because I NEVER could beat him again. :P:

It was a struggle, but after putting in so many hours, it was like a huge wave of relief hit me.  Sometimes, I feel like I have to faint and pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

The feeling though, is just something grand.

--------

Well, talk about yours. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The feeling though, is just something grand.
I felt the same way when i beat Zelda II. Now i never thought that i would ever beat that game. Honestly, the amount of practice needed to beat the game is absurd, especially the temples. Plus, getting a game over makes you lose all your exp, making you have to grind all over again to level. Eventually though, my brother and I spent a whole weekend playing the crap out of the game and we finally beat it. Other than beating Super Mario World for my first time, i don't think i've ever been so relieved after such an accomplishment. I've beaten it around 3 times now.

Also, passing Panic Attack on RB2 expert drums was something i thought i would never have been able to do. I never thought i would get this good at RB drums.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Yeah I've had experiences like that. Final Fantasy 7 is a prime one for me. I've fought some boss battles and just couldn't win and got frustrated. I put the game down and walked away from it and returned to it some time later and clocked it first time on return :D

Resident Evil 3 was another one. The fight with Nemesis in the courtyard on Hard Mode was a mountainous struggle. I stupidly selected an option earlier in the game which meant that Carlos doesn't appear and destroys Nemesis's rocket launcher before the fight starts so I had that to deal with as well. Having screamed at the screen having failed time and time again, I put it down and left it. Again, some time later, tried it again and I walked all over him hardly taking any damage at all :D

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is gonna sound bizarre, but it's true.  When I was five, I could not for the life of me get past the first Bowser battle in the original Super Mario Brothers game.  Well, before I woke up one morning, I had a dream that showed me how to defeat him.  Since it was a Saturday, I was able to play Nintendo the moment I got up.  I wanted to see if this dream had given me actual help while it was still fresh in my mind, and sure enough, I defeated Bowser :D!  It sure was a gratifying feeling to have, knowing I finally got past that coyote ugly monster :p  :lol.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
There were quite a few times where I got that feeling. Probably the most recent one for me was just barely beating the final boss battle in Guitar Hero III on expert. Oh my god! The Devil Went Down to Georgia is so unbelievably hard alone on expert, but on top of that the boss was freaking ridiculous! I tried over and over and over and over and over AND over, but I couldn't beat him ever. Then one day, I guess by sheer luck, I barely beat him! My fingers felt like they were going to completely fall off, but I didn't care :D

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I feel the same way when I Played the Mario Party Series.  Truth is certain Mini-Games needed some serious button mashing but my fingers were to slow at the time I always have to ask my sister to do them since her fingers were equipped for them. For example Mini-Games like Domination (Mario Party 4)  :bang I couldn't do that on Normal Level; I use to only mash up to 50 to 70 Whomps while the Normal Level Cpu mash up to 70 to 86.   :D But those days are over, all of a sudden I could mash up to 113 to 115 a Hard Level Cpu Player can't go that high.  Thank goodness I don't need my sister for everything.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Probably the most recent one for me was in Sonic Rush, in which the last chaos emerald stage was brutal. Seriously, they made getting the last chaos emerald next to impossible. There were mines all over the place, and you had to time your jumps just right. I was so lucky to have gotten it.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For me, it was the second battle against Nightmare in the original Devil May Cry game.  God, for about a year or two, I couldn't beat it, and then I came back and owned it!

Also, various points in Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Mine that I remember off the top of my head was the 1st fight against Kratos (after the rogue angel Remiel) in Tales of Symphonia. It took my friend and I about 10+ tries to finally kill him.

We were adequately leveled but the fact that Remiel was capable of inflicting massive amounts of damage very quickly was absolutely deadly, even if there was a time to heal after the battle, consuming a decent amount of healing items (and mana).

Kratos had almost 1.5x more HP than Remiel and boosted stats and spells that could devour HP. So yeah, for about 10+ times, he trashed my party.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.