The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Darkness or Light in LBT fan fiction

Serris · 23 · 2414

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
This is also a poll on your LBT fan fiction, do you think yours is light or dark.

If it comes to LBT stories I do think that they can be improved if they include some degree of "dark" matters. [...] It is a thin line though that separates LBT stories with an LBT like degree of dark elements (e.g. the Pterano incidence, the death of Littlefoot's mother, the (rather lighthearted) execution of sharpteeth in LBT 6 etc.) from stories featuring LBT characters combined with a degree of violence and brutality that turns the story into a very different genre.

There is not (and never will be) an agreement where exactly that line between a "proper" and an "improper" degree of dark stuff in LBT stories is running. This always depends on the minds of authors and readers. There are just a few things which we can be quite sure would not have been in any LBT movie

This is Malte's quote on light and dark themes in writing.

What exactly is do YOU feel is too "dark" for LBT fan fiction?

I personally think Out of the Shadows is one of the best dark fics I have read. Obviously, Mr. Grosvenor is not gonna make a movie out of that (as much as I would like that fic bought to life on the screen).

And even my own fic; I don't think it's a dark fic as there are a few comedic moments but they are tempered with a atmosphere of high tension and some violent and dark scenes (the beating, then execution of 2 dinosaurs in Chapter 7 is a good example).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The one I'm writing now is light the next one will be dark.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Well, my fanfiction has both dark and light themes, but I chose dark because that's mainly the theme I am going for. And that's what it mostly has. Or maybe to clarify it a bit more...my fanfic has more mysterious than anything...

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
my fanfics are... wait a second, i don't have fanfics! but i would make a mix of light and dark, and that makes brown!

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Me neither, I don't have any fanfictions. Yet.  :wow
But my RP is both, hence why I voted... both.  :)
I can't see LBT with just dark. Nope, no way!
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I wold consider A Jedi's Destiny both, but for the sequel, long streches of lightness where emotional problems are the worst things going on, punctuated by fierce combat and darkness.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Personally my fanfic would have to be classified as Dark, solely for the fact that in chapter nine...a sharptooth does literally lose her head!

But all things considered I was intending to make it dark from the beginning.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, Nimrod will nag me because I haven't writted anything yet (anything that could be called a chapter, just ideas here and there), but my story should have both dark and light scenes. Because the balance can help a lot (even the new serie of Battlestar Galactica has light scenes to help calm the viewers).

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I haven't been around to write much in the way of LBT fanfics.  However, whether it will be light or dark to me depends on how long I would want to write it.  If I wanted to write something as long as a novel, it would most likely have some dark themes to it, especially to keep the reader enthralled.  The lighter ideas I'd have would probably fit better in shorter stories.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Mine is both, but more towards the dark side.

There is a comedic scene involving Deimos and an exploding seed pod.

BUT

There are also many scenes of intense combat. In fact the chapter I'm working on now features a torture scene 6 pages and an extremely large battle (ala Lord of the Rings).

There is also a scene (chap 7) where a dinosaur gets his neck snapped and another dinosaur gets dropped from a great height.

AND there are a lot of sharptooth deaths (some quite violent).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, I think Serris' fic has a pretty modest amont of violence for a mostly "pure" LBT fic.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I tend to write mostly dark stories.  I have started my very first LBT fanfic but do not intend to post it on FF.net until it is completed.  I hate leaving readers hanging 'cuz I get writer's block :bang.  I anticipate having it completed in no more than a year from now.  Anyhoo, it is pure LBT and is mostly dark.  However, as in the rest of my stories, occasional comic relief is a must.  My fanfic is certainly an example of how I would like to see future LBT sequels return to: suspense and tough dilemmas.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Currently, mine is purely light. However, as time progresses, I will add a few dark elements that will be a little unrest as to what I have in mind. Lets just say that some people might not like the ideas I have in mind for some characters.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Seeing as BOSE is all about the battling struggle of denizens of light verses the dwellers of the dark...I guess they equal each other out!  :DD

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Oct 13 2009 on  10:01 AM
Seeing as BOSE is all about the battling struggle of denizens of light verses the dwellers of the dark...I guess they equal each other out!  :DD
Are you the author of Battle of the Sacred Essences?  :blink: