The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

VHS to AVI

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, how do I make it possible to convert VHS videos into .avi format?  Well, I'll just tell you now that it does cost you a bit.  It's a rather nice price and is well worth it in the end.

First, you need the two most important components.  A VCR that is hooked up to a TV, and a Computer to make it possible.

Here's mine:

TV and VCR/DVD Player:

My Computer:

Considering all things, they're both okay and can get the job done.  The TV is a TRUTECH and the VCR/DVD Player is a MAGNAVOX.

I'm sure a number of you know my computer is custom made.  Here are the components from memory:

1 TB Hard Drive
4 GB RAM
500 Watt PSU
Windows XP Lite SP3

Now, next you need the Converter and Installation Discs to do so with.  Here's what I used, and it cost me a nice $50:

When starting out, you have to install the Discs in a special order.  For me, first the yellow and then the blue.  The red one is optional.  It's just Bonus Material for those video editing fanatics.  Oh, and it works ONLY on XP.  Don't ask me how they messed that up. :rolleyes:

Now, the big thing is that you need wires to connect the Converter to the VCR.  Here's the ones I use:

You can pick up these wires at any store that sells Electronics.  The one on the left is your basic S-Video Cable.  The ones on the right are the Gold Version of your typical Video/Audio Cables.  They are quite common and can go for a nice $10.

Finally, in some cases it may be difficult for your computer to detect the equipment.  If you do not have the proper USB support, you just need a HUB to get around it.  This was the case for me, and here's the HUB I use:

It's a 4-port and doesn't need to be connected to the computer to work.  If memory serves me right, it cost me $25.

In the end, I spent just under $100 for the equipment needed.

In the next post, I'll show you what the program looks like to get it done.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey pokeplayer, just a question:

Would you prefer this post in After Midnight like it is, or would you rather have it in the Computers and Electronics section of the board?

I'll keep it here unless you want it moved, in case there is anything you would rather not have made super public. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jul 9 2009 on  09:14 AM
Hey pokeplayer, just a question:

Would you prefer this post in After Midnight like it is, or would you rather have it in the Computers and Electronics section of the board?

I'll keep it here unless you want it moved, in case there is anything you would rather not have made super public. :)
Yeah, move it.  It's probably best.

I've still got a few last pictures to take and edit.  So give me a little time here.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
From what I've seen so far, I think I prefer ripping from DVDs. I find it easier. Just pop it into the computer, get the right program, and rip and that's it. Even if I wanted to rip from a VHS, I could not for two reasons. The price (I need to avoid spending too much money) and the fact that all our VHS is in the shed and it would be extremely hard to get them because they are way in the back and the shed is stuffed to near full capacity, with very little room left.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 9 2009 on  10:39 AM
From what I've seen so far, I think I prefer ripping from DVDs. I find it easier. Just pop it into the computer, get the right program, and rip and that's it. Even if I wanted to rip from a VHS, I could not for two reasons. The price (I need to avoid spending too much money) and the fact that all our VHS is in the shed and it would be extremely hard to get them because they are way in the back and the shed is stuffed to near full capacity, with very little room left.
Mine are all on a shelf.  You seriously can't beat that convenience.

Anyways, on to the rest of this guide.

Now, after it's done installing, you go into the program.

As you can see from the Icon, it's called Studio Launcher.  Double-Click on it and this screen pops up:

Click on the Quick Start Button and wait for it to load.

When it's done, this is what you'll get:

We're not going to get into this yet, but know that this is the typical Edit Screen.  You simply use it to Edit your video.

I first go to the Capture Screen:

Now, here's where some real work comes in when you first install it.  You have to set it up for it to Capture the video and audio from the Converter.  You simply use the Settings Button and it's rather easy from there.

You can also set the Quality of the video you are going to be capturing.  With a simple click of a button, you can make it Good, Better, Best or Custom Quality.  Remember, the higher the quality, the more space the Captured Video File will take up.

When everything is set up and ready, you hit Play on the VCR and when it's at the spot you want to start capturing, you click on the Start Capture Button.  A pop-up will appear and you just hit Start Capture.

Now, while it's capturing the video it is very important to LEAVE IT ALONE!  Any interference could lead to problems like skipped scenes or the audio being out of sync.

When you have captured all you want to, click on the Stop Capture Button and go to the Edit Screen.

When it's done converting the scenes, it'll look like this:

Now here, there's plenty of things you can do.  You can add effects, add text, add other audio or even capture a screen shot.  However, for the sake of this guide, we'll just put the scenes we need into the bottom screen to be converted.  Make sure to put them in order.

After that, you click on the Make Movie Button:

Now, here's where variety and convenience REALLY come into play.  You start out with their version of AVI, which makes a simple 4 minute video a whopping 835 MB.  At least you can change it easily.  I've got all sorts of codecs to work with.

Here's what I usually have:

AVI
DivX
iPod Compatible
MPEG-1
MPEG-2
MPEG-4
Real Media
Sony PSP Compatible
Windows Media

The DivX is what I usually go with, and it easily makes the 4 minute video into around 8 MB.  However, as you can see, there's a ton I can do with this, and for my own purposes, I can go with a different format for whatever reason needed.

AVI takes up the most space, (Making a normal LBT video be at least 16 GB.) but holds a nice amount of variety.  It holds Full Screen DV, Full Screen MJEPG, Medium, Small or Custom.  The bigger the size, the more space it takes up.

DivX is your normal, typical .avi format.  Anyone who's seen .avi format pretty much knows it.  This program though can change the size of the screen, thus changing the amount of space it can take up.  Small, Medium, Full Screen or Custom are your basic options here.

iPod Compatible is quite the amazing little feature.  If you have an iPod that supports video, you're golden in easily getting a movie the watch right on it.  That's the main purpose of it.  You have the choice of either Small File Size or Full Screen.

MJEPG-1 is for those who want to give their video a more nostalgic feel.  Here, I can make it Video CD Compatible, VHS Quality, Small or Custom.

MJEPG-2 is where things start to get more high tech.  This program was making HD before HD became something big.  Here, I can make it DVD Compatible, SVCD Compatible, or go HD.

MJEPG-4 is for when you want to send files through e-mail.  Here, you can make it Very Small, thus making the 4 minute video only 2 MB, or higher.  You can go all the way to HD.  Yes, this makes it possible to send HD files through e-mail.

Real Media is for when you have Real Media Player as a video viewer and want a rather small file size.  Surprisingly, a 4 minute .rm video is under 1 MB.

Sony PSP Compatible.  What can be said about the Sony PSP?  Video and games wherever you go.  Imagine getting a whole movie onto it.  Plain and simple, right?

Windows Media makes the file .wmv.  Rather self explanatory there and we pretty much all know it.  However, with this version, there's a wide variety of HD to present with.  I could go crazy with it.

And from all this, you can choose to put it as a File, a Disc or a Tape. (Last one is if you have the equipment for that.) Of course, I just use the File.

When you have it set up, you hit the Create Button and you are done.

And that is how I make VHS into AVI.

Quite a bit I go through, huh? :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I don't understand why you would spend so much money to spend hours upon hours of time getting low quality copies of ancient movies when you could spend $0.14 on a blank DVD instead.  I mean if you've got like 1,000 kids movies that you don't want to re-buy on DVD but there really wasn't a reason for you to do this.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've always wondered how to do that. Just about how I pictured it. Thanks for the explanation.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 9 2009 on  03:20 PM
I don't understand why you would spend so much money to spend hours upon hours of time getting low quality copies of ancient movies when you could spend $0.14 on a blank DVD instead.  I mean if you've got like 1,000 kids movies that you don't want to re-buy on DVD but there really wasn't a reason for you to do this.
Well, there were several reasons for this.

You see, when I've got a movie, I've got a movie.  I don't want to go buying the same movie again.  If I've got it on VHS, I don't really see a reason to get it on DVD since I just want to watch the dang movie and nothing else.  Only reason I would buy a DVD version of a movie I have on VHS is if my VHS copy looks like total crap.

On top of this, let's face one fact, they will die eventually.  Well before I even die myself.  I was on a mission at the time to preserve my VHS copies of the LBT Series I had fallen back into at the time.  I was afraid that part of me was going to die without it.  I realize today that was a stupid belief, but that's what I believed at the time.

Another thing was that I had only 2 ways of buying stuff at the time, Cash and Check.  I hadn't moved on to Debit Card and effectively using my Checking account at the time, so this was bought with pure Cash.  Of course, this led to me not getting the on-line rippers and ones I did find at the time for free left me with disturbing watermarks that I just didn't approve of.  Magic was among the best, but I didn't know the trick into getting around the Trial Offer at the time that I now do know.

It wasn't until recently after this that I got my Debit Card and was ready for on-line purchasing of better, cheaper and more reliable products.

Those were my reasons for getting it back then.  They probably don't full justify me, but it's my excuse anyways. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i believe a lot of people use this method for recording video game videos as well, so there is no unneeded noise or setting up a digital camera in front of your tv.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
i believe a lot of people use this method for recording video game videos as well, so there is no unneeded noise or setting up a digital camera in front of your tv.

You could just get a DVD recorder.  You can get them for around $50.  Then you can rip the disk onto the computer and get an avi file.  VHS is just obsolete.  Sure you *can* use it but it's harder and it yields lower quality results.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
You could've put the $100 to better copies of the film... VHS degrades too you know.  I can understand the stuff that never got a dvd release, but that's few and far between these days.