The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How can skype been so faulty?

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Today's problems with Skype are just freaking ridiculous to say it very softly. First the update whenever they want, ok that's fine. But I spent like 15 minutes trying to log-in again.

And then there are problems with some of my contacts suddenly go as like they were never my contacts to start with and I have to add them all over again so I have many contatcs duplicated.

Also, unlike MSN, I cannot add a friend to a chat group because he doesn't use Skype. So skype is also elitist somehow.

And today, I was chatting with Nick but I thought he was busy since I received no answers from him for over an hour, then I changed status to buy some bread and suddenly all of his replies appeared from nowhere.

Can be Skype be this faulty? Why Micro$oft forced us to use that lame program with the excuse of their "newer and better techlogies"? MSN never gave me any of these problems :anger .

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I've been having some problems with skype as well. Like you said, sometimes someone might send me a message but it won't appear until much later. Also, do you have a problem where, whenever you try to go to your profile, it signs you off? It's been happening every time I click on my name recently.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
skype has had its issues for me as well. in terms of loading then reading people as busy or offline when they are not. hopefully those issues will get fixed. perhaps by adding time feature where you can say be off for 5 10 15 or 30 minues if you need a break for chores or dinner
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 It is funny because it was much better before the last two or three times it updated. So it seems every update just makes it worse.

Well, the loading screen is totally different one, but I already figured it out.

@bushwacked: Well your problem with signing me off has not happened to me yet. But it might explain what it happens to some other contacts I have :( .

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I've had so many issues with skype, I can't even remember all of them. I finally got fed up and started to research other video chat options. Surprised to say, Google plus provides a very reliable service in that department. It's what I use now whenever I talk to my husband :smile
Google plus is very hard to navigate though... everything in that place feels like it's hidden in a secret room :rolleyes:

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, I still think nothing can be worse (or less faulty) than skype. I was even considering re-installing Pidgin. My only issue is that if I do that, I will no longer be able to join the rpg group chat.

Let's hope skypË won't be installing any new updates soon, as with any updates it makes things worse :lol .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure if pidgin can connect to msn, I know amsn can since that is what I use.

Skype sounds useless or worst.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, Skype did it again! This time I cannot even connect :anger .

It says there is a problem and that I try connecting again, I tried again many times, I even changed the password as requested by them and nothing works!

So I am now using Pidgin. at least for today to see if Skype decides to work again.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
When I downloaded windows 8.1 it started to work properly again for a while. But lately while I was talking to Ducky123 it started doing this thing where, if I navigated navigated away from the page and had it running in the background, I appear offline and his messages don't register. It's pretty annoying.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ohhh, it truly is... :bang

Wonder why you're the affected one, not me  <_<
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've been having issues with Skype for sometime. Sometimes I don't see messages people send me until I log out and log back in, making it hard to have a proper conversation with someone. Almost everyone, save for one or two, don't see me online at all, even when my status is Available. And most bizarre of all, it randomnly blocks people. One time, it blocked a friend I was talking to in the middle of the conversation. Unblocking them helps, but then the program will reblock them.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Personally I hate Skype. I try to use Google+ for any video calls I need to make. Skype pirates high bandwidths without you even knowing it, eventually causing your web browser to crash and severely slowing down your computer. They do this by supernoding, or using your bandwidth to literally direct hundreds of calls. Google refuses to do this, hence, they're my preferred video calling service. But yes, on top of that, Skype is fraught with plenty of errors including the ones Chiletrek has already mentioned. They're just so blegh for me. The only reason I use them is because MSN has been merged with it, and some of my contacts only use that, but I avoid it whenever I can.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I've been having all issues DarkHououmon has except for the blocking people one... maybe that one is pending in Skype's to-do list against me :rolleyes .

I hate how Micro$oft forced the merging of MSN with their Skype, because MSN never had any of these problems at all.

Piding allows to use multiple accounts, but it would be great if I could still participate (somehow) in the group I have in Skype. If that happens, then Skype can say good bye since I don't make any videocalls.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Yeah I mean the main thing preventing me from outright deleting it is that several tour companies use Skype to interview potential candidates (since face to face interviews are rarely conducted in that industry these days) so yeah... I kind of need it but meh, if I didn't, I wouldn't even be using it.  :anger

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I use amsn.  The only main problem I see with it is I can't be in the group chats that some, like the elder scrolls rp, do.  But if skype has all those problems others are mentioning, I'm glad amsn has only that 1 problem.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Kor,Dec 2 2013 on  04:48 PM
I use amsn.  The only main problem I see with it is I can't be in the group chats that some, like the elder scrolls rp, do.  But if skype has all those problems others are mentioning, I'm glad amsn has only that 1 problem.
The issues I am experiencing with Skype started when I merged Skype and MSN, but oddly have spread to other instant messengers as well. MSN on Pidgin sometimes doesn't work properly, with messages not showing up when they should. And aMSN has similar issues as well. Uninstalling and reinstalling said programs does nothing. Neither does changing internet providers. Yahoo is somewhat affected, but not to the same extent. The only messenger I use that isn't affected is AIM. There is ICQ but I currently can't use that.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I have a new one... yay!

Since the time MSN stopped working until today, I did add some new contacts. But, since today Skype was acting very stupid again, I installed Trillian, that is when I noticed that even if the account is the same, it seems I cannot get to see the contacts I have added while using Skype.

Am I missing something here when setting-up Trillian and/or Pidgin? or it is that all contacts you add while using Skype are Skype-only contacts? like "thanks to Skype you are talking with him/her so you will not see him/her with other programs" ?.