The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Google AdWords

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well...my new computer repair website is only 2 1/2 months old now.  I've done all the SEO I can do other than backlinks (which I'm still working on), but it takes MONTHS to register all the backlinks and I have to make sure to get them gradually otherwise Google might get suspicious and penalize my site for getting backlinks too quickly.  I can't get a better ranking any time soon because of the young age of the website and the fact that I have to gradually obtain backlinks.  Because of this, I've decided to sign up for AdWords.

After a needless $5 activation fee (which really chapped my ass I must say), I'm off.  My ad now appears on the right side of Google search results for certain keywords which I've specified.  Hopefully this will go well.  I've purposefully set a low bid amount of $0.10 per click and a daily budget of $2.00.  We'll see how it goes.  Hopefully I'll get some business from this.  If not, I might up bid amount and/or the daily budget amount.  I'd tell you guys where to find my sponsored ads, but I don't want you clicking on 'em.  They cost me money ya know. :p Next thing I'm gonna do is see how much it costs for the sponsored ad slot at the top of the search results that's highlighted.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hope things work out for ya.  I hear Adwords is pretty strict. (In some cases, a little too strict.)

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Google gave me 100 bucks in AdWords credit a few months back (and I got another 100 thing in the mail a few weeks ago). I didn't like it very much. The first day was pretty good, but after that, unless I set the bids reallllly high, I got no clicks whatsoever. Another aspect was, I spent 100 on AdWords, and I made about $4.30 from my AdSense ads. Afterwards, I never had any return visits from the people who clicked the ads.

But, it was a good learning experience.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I must say, I'm not very impressed:

There's not even one keyword on there that costs less than $1 per click.  $1 per click!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  You've got to be shitting me!  Even if they do click on my website, there's like a 10% chance they'll call me and set up an appointment.  Even if they do set up an appointment, there's only a 50% chance that they'll actually show up.  And I barely get $100 out of each person!  And you want me to pay $2.75 for each and every person that clicks on my link?!?!?!  Okay, so the f****** government steals $35 per hundred I make and Google will take another $35.  Then $10 out of every $100 goes to my expenses.  So what?  I'm just supposed to only keep 20% of the money I make?  I don't think so!  Jeeze!  Everyone's got their hands in your pocket.  I swear!

I got a free $75 AdWords credit through GoDaddy.  After that's used up, I doubt I'll continue using it.  What a f****** ripoff.  If I hadn't gotten that free AdWords credit, I'd demand my money back for the $5 activation fee.  What a joke. :anger

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm paying $1.85 per click to be here on the first page:

I've blurred out the phone number and website for obvious reasons.  I'd just love to show y'all my computer repair website.  As it's my most recent website, it's also the best website I've ever made (it even beats TheLandBeforeTime.org).  But my phone number is listed on my website, so I'd prefer to keep that private if possible.  Oh, and the results only come up like this for people in the state of Minnesota so if you try to Google this same phrase, something totally different will show up. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
After a little Advanced Search through Google, I found your site.  I must say that it is quite nice from what I've seen.  Very well designed.

I had put in my own testimonial of how much you have helped me.  Seriously, I cannot express the gratitude for all the help you have given me. (Especially with the biggest problem I ever had.)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks Pokeplayer.  But finding my site through Google really isn't hard at all if you just type in the obvious.  If it took you a while to find it, I guess you wouldn't have thought I'd rank on the first page like I do for this certain query.  But anyway, I think I've found out why they charge so much per click.  In the last few days since I signed up, I've had a total of 488 impressions (meaning my ad has been seen 488 times).  Despite this, I haven't even gotten one click.  People are becoming wise to the fact that the results on the sidebar aren't usually what they're looking for.  For example, if you type in "origin of the Christmas tree" into Google, the sidebar has links to where to buy Christmas trees, which isn't what the person is looking for.  I don't think this AdWords thing is going to work out.  I guess it's back to trying to get my website to the top of search engines through regular SEO and backlinks.  I'm going to do that anyway, but I need some business NOW.  It will take months if not years to rank on the top when someone types in "Computer repair Minnesota" and other similar queries.  All the first page results have PR 3 or 4.  TheLandBeforeTime.org has a PageRank of 3, but it's taken me quite a while to get there.  Of course, I'm not really working on my backlinks for that website so much anymore......

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Very cool Austin, and nice site too. :)  Sorry if the service seems like garbage, but oh well, trial and error as you say....