The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Screen Time Experiment - Land Before Time characters

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Slow and steady (almost) wins the race for Spike.  :SmugSpike

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
Well, here we are in the final five films!  I can definitely feel that finish line coming up in a few more weeks!

The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration

Sue's Boyfriend and Bron's flashbacks with his deceased mate from the first movie were both added at the last minute after I initially considered not including them.  This was because the voice for Sue's boyfriend was not credited, and Littlefoot's mother played no part in any of the sequels due to her death in the original film.  However, I decided to include them because I thought it would be too cold to exclude them.

We actually have a movie where Topps is on screen for less than a minute (not counting the 4th film, where he was completely absent)!  He only appeared in one scene, and the only thing we see him do is sleep (and cheer for Littlefoot in Cera's dream).

The Sharptooth Pack was split into three because combining them like the Fandom did would have been utterly ridiculous, so they are divided into three slots.

Bron amazingly got JUST enough screen time to breach the ten-minute mark.  This slotted him in between Littlefoot's grandparents at a respectable #7.

Petrie has unfortunately been gaining a habit of ranking #5, which he has now done in FIVE of the last six films.  Also, he has now lost to Spike five times (this time, by only ten seconds).  Their battle for fourth place on the overall series rankings is nowhere near over, even though we still have Great Day of the Flyers eventually coming up.

And now, the top three!

It appears we have made a return to seeing our most common combination of characters make the top three.  Ducky was able to easily burst ahead of Petrie and Spike to win her fourth Bronze medal.

Cera had a slightly bigger abundance of screen time than Ducky as she took over leadership of the Gang in Littlefoot's absence, ensuring her fifth Silver medal (her first since Secret of Saurus Rock).

As for Littlefoot, he again had no competition.  It was known from the beginning that this film would be an easy Gold for Littlefoot because we once again have a prominent Longneck theme and plot.  This is the sixth time that Littlefoot surpassed the half-hour mark, and he now has nine Golds out of ten films.

Now we begin to delve into questionable territory with the remaining films, beginning with The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:00:25 PM by DiddyKF1 »
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm surprised that Shorty has so little time. Always thought he was around a lot more.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This one was just pure awful.  I had such a hard time tracking down certain Tiny Longneck characters, especially the twins Rocky and Dusty.  Mama Swimmer was also very difficult to track down during the Creepy Crawlies musical number.  Those numbers are thus composed just from frames in which I can CONFIRM they were in.

The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses

We have a new record for lowest screen time for any character in any film, as Ducky's siblings were on screen for just two seconds, only appearing in two shots where an exhausted Ducky and Spike return home after visiting the Tiny Longnecks.

Quite bizarrely, a number of characters ended up with surprisingly lower numbers than I expected.  I wasn't very surprised to see the Threehorns pretty high up.

Topps, for the first and possibly only time in the series, has the most screen time outside the Gang, coming in at a personal best #6.  We can definitely see how the film put a big spotlight on the Threehorn family, and as we know, they will do it again in the next movie.

For once, we have a film where #5 isn't Petrie!  Having placed at #5 in five of the previous six movies, it's very refreshing to see the Flyer in a different position!  In this case, Ducky and Spike were the two who fell by the wayside.

And now, the top three!

Well, well, Petrie ended up taking his second medal! :)petrie The Flyer ended up stealing a couple scenes during the first half of the movie, particularly from Ducky and Spike, and this allowed him to take the Bronze.  As I mentioned, this is the first time since Stone of Cold Fire that Petrie isn't #5, and I'm sure you all know he is poised to post BIG numbers in the next movie. :)petrie

Cera was without question the one destined for Silver.  She was the main focus of the subplot, as we see her become jealous of Tria "stealing" a lot of time away from her father.  Cera now has six Silver medals (and her second in a row), and she is still the only character to win the Silver more than once.

Littlefoot built up yet another considerable margin, having seven minutes more screen time than Cera.  The Longneck takes his third Gold in a row, performing his third hat trick, and he now has a total of ten Gold medals. :)littlefoot

Up next, Petrie searches for his BIG moment in the Bright Circle, whilst his siblings look to finally avoid last place in The Land Before Time XII: The Great Day of the Flyers!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:51:50 PM by DiddyKF1 »

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Are Rocky and Dusty listed as the same character because there was not a single frame where they were separated? :D

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Are Rocky and Dusty listed as the same character because there was not a single frame where they were separated? :D

I couldn't really make up my mind on those, but knowing that they were twins, I decided to give them the same treatment as Dinah and Dana from the sixth movie.

Rattymon

• Chomper
    • View Profile

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
Oh my gosh why am I seeing this until now??

You have such dedication! It is truely a time consuming project to embark upon, and it's really cool to see the results side by side!

For the most part, Littlefoot seems to be taking the lead, he is the main character after all.  It really depends on the movie, but I don't think there's a Cera centered film. Keep up the great work and good luck to you!
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This one I managed to nail quickly because a few of these were done weeks ago during the early stages of the project.  This was one of the big ones for me, and the rest of you made it clear that this would be the one to keep an eye on.

BTW, before I bring the results up for the 12th film, I want to thank you all for your kind words regarding this project. :)petrie This has been a massive undertaking, and I'm happy to see so many of you interested in this!  I know this was conceived as an idea just for fun, but given how time-consuming it can be, it's no easy task.  I'm even ecstatic to see that this project made the front page for the forum this month!  It shows that I've succeeded in my intended goal of building a productive start to 2023 after the Stone of Cold Fire voiceover project faded into obscurity.

Fittingly, the showcase for Great Day of the Flyers popped up just as I started working on this one!  Thank you all for your support, and keep it going!  I'll especially need the good luck considering what the next film is ...

Now, here are the results for the 12th movie!

The Land Before Time XII: The Great Day of the Flyers

If there's one thing we can notice immediately, from this point on, the movies will be in widescreen, as the series had just made the transition from fullscreen to HD widescreen.

I was honestly surprised that neither Mama Swimmer nor Grandma Longneck ended up in last place, even though neither of them had dialogue while Mr. Clubtail did (in TWO scenes).  They just did a better job at looming in the background than he did.

Big shocker: Mama Flyer did NOT make the top ten.  I thought for sure she'd get into the top ten, but she ended up with much smaller numbers than I anticipated, and thus Tricia exceeding five minutes effectively ruined any chance she had of getting into the top ten.  Nevertheless, Mama Flyer did score a personal best in both screen time and rank, as she previously ranked no better than 13th (which she did in Journey to Big Water).

Topps and Tria ended up in a tie (quite fittingly).  I placed Topps above Tria, though, because he was in more scenes (even if a few of them only lasted a few seconds or so).

As we expected, Petrie's siblings do indeed finally avoid last place.  Even better, they broke the ten-minute mark and ranked at #7.

Ducky and Spike were mysteriously absent from the final scene of the movie.  The last time we see them is when the Gang start running after Tricia after hearing her cries for help.  As such, their screen time numbers suffered in comparison to the rest of the Gang, and Ducky ended up with her new personal worst film rank at #5, her first time outside the top 4.

EXTRA big shocker: Littlefoot did NOT make the top three!  :littlefootscared  We have just seen something which I think none of us saw coming.  Not only does Littlefoot fail to reach the 20-minute mark, he ends up a personal worst #4, and to make matters even worse for him, he even lost to Cera! :cerasmug :littlefootscared

Oh, how the mighty have fallen ...

Yet another big shocker: although Cera finally defeated Littlefoot, she has suffered her second loss to a one-off guest character.  The Threehorn could only settle for her sixth Bronze medal, whilst Guido achieved what Ali pulled off in the 4th film.  He built up a 43-second margin over Cera right at the end to win the Silver in his one-and-only movie appearance!  :feelsgoodman :ceramad

Even though Cera was a secondary focus character due to her getting a newly-born sister, her defeat by Guido was really due to the slow-paced scenes of the Gang following a sleep-walking Guido during the third quarter of the movie.  His time on screen during his sleep-flying and his run-in with the Sailback Sharptooth also boosted his numbers so much so that Cera could not keep ahead of him.

And, of course, the moment that EVERYONE saw coming; Petrie is a Gold medal winner! :)petrie  But wait, it gets even better!  He not only won the Gold, but he pulled off something that even Ducky wasn't able to do while beating Littlefoot in the 8th movie.  He ended up winning by a margin of more than five minutes!  He practically delved into Littlefoot territory with his screen time and showed us why this was truly a Petrie film.  I now have proof why Great Day of the Flyers deserves its name.

We even saw Petrie do something he NEVER would have done at the beginning of the series, which only further boosted his screen time.  He showed true bravery (previously uncharacteristic of him) by rescuing Guido from the Sailback Sharptooth, initially unaided as he led the rescue effort before his friends followed him in.  He did it again when he willingly abandoned his flying test to help Guido rescue the newborn Tricia from certain death.  He did both of these heroic acts despite knowing full well what the potential repercussions were, shown when he overruled Littlefoot's suggestion of staying in the Great Valley and resting up for the Day of the Flyers, and he even ignored his siblings' frantic worries that they had to finish their flying test or else everything could fall apart, knowing that the precious life of a newborn hatchling was far more important.  Honestly, that is just so original for him.  Petrie is a BIG winner in this one with superstar screen time numbers! :)petrie

We now have three different characters whom have won a Gold medal, as Petrie joins ten-time winner Littlefoot and Big Freeze winner Ducky.  I'm fairly certain, though, that chances of that list growing are probably next to nothing.  Meanwhile, Cera is the ONLY remaining character to have placed in the top three in EVERY film thus far.  She now takes over the lead in total medals won, winning 12 medals in a row whilst Littlefoot stays at 11.  Despite this, Cera still has NO Gold medals, and you can imagine this is beginning to drive her insane. :ceramad

Up next, I shall spend the next few days torturing myself with the worst film in the entire series; The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends.  Uh, ... wish me luck. :opetrie

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, my only surprise was that Guido actually managed to get on second place. Wow! :GuidoAAAAAHHHHHH :feelsbadman :feelsgoodman

Since Cera (and her family) has subplot here, like in previous movie, I expected her to be high, even above Mr. Importance Littlefoot, since it's only movie where the latter hasn't nor main plot nor subplot.  :littlefootangry :cerasmug

Good luck with XIII!
Remember: You have to count each yellowbelly individually! They are too great and important to be counted as one! :PLoofah
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 08:19:01 PM by Sneak »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And Petrie finally gets the top prize!  :)petrie  Truth be told, this film has quite a few surprises in the results.  I had expected Petrie to take 1st place, but to see Littlefoot completely knocked out of the top three is quite something to see.  It is also interesting to see Guido pick up second place for screen time in this film. 

I wish you the very best of luck with the next film... just remember that you are in the final stretch unless Universal makes a surprise announcement about a fifteenth film in the next week or so.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Rattymon

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I didn't expect to see Littlefoot get knocked out of the top 3, but Guido to make it in!  :feelsgoodman  :littlefootoh

I'm not entirely surprised Petrie got the gold, though!  :petrieooohh

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
I agree, wasn't expecting Littlefoot to have less count then Cera, and even she made it!

And of course this is where Guido gets introduced, so big applause for him
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
My God!  This was just pure insanity!  The number of animation errors and the absolute stupidity of the Yellow Bellies!  I so nearly lost my sanity doing this one!  I could bash on this all day if I could!

But no, seriously I hate this film so much!

But guess what?  I survived!  I survived the worst film in the LBT series without losing my mind!  Having to watch some scenes up to 12 times was just unbearable, but the nightmare is finally over!

The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends

Mama Flyer went from being one of the more prominent adults in Great Day of the Flyers to being the least prominent character in Wisdom of Friends, being the only character who didn't even make it to 30 seconds. :(petrie

Voice actors were leaving left and right, including Kenneth Mars and Tress MacNeille, and thus the screen time for the valley adults suffered tremendously.  Kenneth Mars had been forced to retire after being diagnosed with what would ultimately be terminal cancer.  All the lines that could have been given to him were handed over to Miriam Flynn (Grandma Longneck) instead.  As a result, Grandma Longneck smashed everyone who wasn't a Gang member or Yellow Belly, but still failed to reach the five-minute mark.

It regrets me to say this, but one of the Yellow Bellies actually defeated one of the Gang members, as Loofah (the leader of the Yellow Bellies) just managed to beat Spike to take a place in the top five.  Thank the Bright Circle none of them made the top three, though ...

My goodness!  Petrie is on a roll!  Whoever would have thought that the Flyer would win three medals in a row!? :)petrie He surprised me big-time by surpassing the 20-minute mark to secure his second Bronze!  He's probably gotten very confident after his Great Day of the Flyers victory!

Cera's Gold medal drought continues, as she is forced to settle for her seventh Silver.  I knew from the start that she'd be in the top three, and honestly, I also knew that she'd have no chance at going for Gold. :cerasus

After shockingly failing to place in the top three in Great Day of the Flyers, Littlefoot performs another monstrous comeback, beating Cera by nearly eight and a half minutes to win his eleventh Gold medal. :)littlefoot This was yet another pathetically predictable Gold by Littlefoot, to be honest.

So now that the worst LBT movie is out of the way, we've got just one more to go!  Get ready for the grand finale of this project (aside from the eventual reveal of the full series' screen time results), coming up probably this weekend.  For the first and only time in this project, we will have the full Gang of Seven in the fold in The Land Before Time XIV: Journey of the Brave!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Really, I think I know the top 3 overall by now.  However, I might end up being quite surprised. (I know I was through a number of these.)

Honestly, I'm glad you survived the worst one.  I mean, I would consider watching the 13th movie to be the equivalent of torture. :sducky

Now, for the final one.  Let's see where they end up.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Cera is doomed to be in Littlefoot's shadow forever.  :yum  :cerasus

I'm surprised why sharptooth leader has so more screentime than others in the pack. o_o
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 09:45:41 AM by Sneak »

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This is it!  All 14 films completed!  I'm sure many of you are excited to see where all the characters stacked up for screen time throughout the 14 films! :)petrie

Before I can do that, though, we must first take a look at the results for the final movie!

The Land Before Time XIV: Journey of the Brave

Mama Flyer continues her trend of being among the least important characters, taking last place for the second time in a row, not beating a single character for the rest of the series after Great Day of the Flyers where she had her most prominent appearance.  This is just a low blow for her. :(petrie

We were certainly expecting some mixed results in this movie, and honestly, I couldn't predict where ANYONE was going to end up (except the top two, of course).  It is often said that the Sharpteeth in this movie deserved more screen time because there should have been room for more action, and these numbers show just that, but I guess the filmmakers wanted to keep the flow of the film going and not slow it down.  It was a good decision, but one that really cast a shadow on what could have been, much like what happened to the first movie.

Chomper made it into the top ten, but Ruby did not.  They both just barely edged out Bron, but certain characters were more prominent than the two kids who joined the Gang in the TV series.  Honestly, it's very sad the Sharptooth and Fast Runner duo ended up this low.  They deserved a lot more, considering fans were anticipating more to their backstory, but instead we only saw them accompany Grandpa Longneck and Topps' search party, and they really played next to no purpose in the film other than being the ones to indicate that their friends had left the Great Valley.  If there is ever a 15th film, Chomper and Ruby should really be put in the spotlight a lot more.  These numbers, I must confess, have left me very disappointed. :areyouserious :RubyAngry

Etta's numbers were much bigger than I anticipated.  Her role in the second half of the movie really brightened up the otherwise gloomy mood that had resulted from Littlefoot's breakup with the Gang and the subsequent sandstorm.  As much as I despise country music, her voice actress Reba McEntire did an incredible job bringing life into this Flyer, and she is probably one of the best one-off guest characters in the series.  She also delivered a double whammy with the series' final musical number, as McEntire not only sings the version sung by Etta, but also the version in the ending credits.  She just dominated the latter half of the film and definitely deserves my praise.

Surprise, surprise!  Ducky does not win any medals following Great Longneck Migration. :duckysad To think that the lovable Swimmer only scored ONE top 3 result AFTER her win in Big Freeze is just baffling.  It would appear that a certain Flyer was on such a massive lust for screen time that he simply couldn't be stopped anymore. :petrieLOL

And now, here are the top 3 for the final movie ...

You would think that Petrie would settle down after winning big time in Great Day of the Flyers, but OH NO!  He just had to keep going and going! :)petrie He was helped in this film by his scenes with the Diggers, earning him precious seconds worth of screen time that allowed him to keep ahead of Ducky and Spike.  This effort was enough to reward him his fourth medal in a row (his third Bronze in the last four movies)!  I never would have thought that Petrie would have such a fantastic run late in the series, but honestly we must give him credit.  This shows how much he's changed throughout the franchise.  For most of the first half, he was just there, barely doing anything and just allowing others to take bundles of screen time away from him, but after the 10th film he had had enough and took matters into his own wings.  He proceeded to beat Ducky and stand on the podium in EVERY single film that followed, including a much-deserved Gold for his heroic deeds in Great Day of the Flyers!  I think Petrie deserves a round of applause for his mind-blowing late series run!

Cera successfully ranked in the top three in all 14 films.  Yet despite this, she did not win a single Gold medal, losing to Littlefoot in all but one movie, and in the one film where she did beat him, she was bested by Petrie. She was only ever in either 2nd place or 3rd place. :ceramad The Threehorn ended up with her eighth Silver medal in this installment, and it's pretty obvious why she easily beat everyone who wasn't Littlefoot.  We see the two clash from time to time, culminating in a heated argument that results in Littlefoot leaving the group in anger.  It was a lot tamer compared to the first movie where they got into a physical altercation in which Cera won and got Littlefoot banished from the group, but even so, this breakup in the last movie was still a nasty one.  Cera was simply a character who was never meant to compete for most screen time in a movie, and she will have to accept the fact that she will forever be in Littlefoot's shadow. :littlefoot:) :ceramad

And, of course, Littlefoot decimates the competition to win his twelfth Gold medal, but not only did he make it 12 Golds out of 14, he set a NEW RECORD!!!  For the first and only time in the entire series, a character breached the 35-minute barrier, smashing his own record of 34:36 from the first movie, meaning it took more than 27 years for that record to be broken!  The original five main characters got so much screen time in this movie that I knew they would all surpass 20 minutes, making this the third film in the series where that has happened, but Littlefoot was just on a whole new level, reaching previously uncharted territory with his screen time in this movie as he sets out to rescue his father from a volcano. The little Longneck was just everywhere it seemed, and thus he left everyone in the dust on his way to his twelfth and final Gold medal. :littlefoot:)

With all 14 films done, I will now get to work on preparing for the posts regarding the final overall results for every character in the series!  I must ask that you relax, though, as there were so many characters that it may take a while for me to get them all ready for the final posts.  Tune in this weekend to see the final results of the project! :)petrie

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Congratulations on completing this project!  :)littlefoot  I can't imagine how many rewatches of the films it took to get these recorded times, especially with how chaotic some scenes can be with multiple characters on screen at once.   I eagerly look forward to seeing the completed totals, and seeing what surprises they may contain.  :yes

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No big surprises in last film for me.

Congratulations with finishing this big interesting project, Diddy!  :celebrate
You rule! :D

Rattymon

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm looking forward to see the overall totals!  :^^spike
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 03:05:46 PM by Rattymon »