The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Harry Potter fans: rank each movie

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Now, you don't have to count Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2 as separate movies. I just prefer to, as I preferred one over the other. Mine are as follows:

1) The Deathly Hallows part 1- It's just perfect in every way. I just love the darkness and mysteriousness of it. <3 The tale of the three brothers gives me chills every time I watch it. :oops

2) The Prisoner of Azkaban- This is one of the few movies that I actually think was done better than the book. I am always super intrigued when I watch the climax of the film, with Sirius, Lupin, Snape, and Peter Pettigrew. Also, the part when Harry looks for Peter Pettigrew on the map is one of the creepiest and most suspenseful parts of the movie and one of my favorite scenes, even though it wasn't in the book.

3) The Goblet of Fire- It's a little choppy and the book is SOOOO much better, but they really did a great job with the movie with what they had and stayed well within the time constraint.

4) The Half-Blood Prince- Again, choppy. The fight scene could have made the movie a million times better, but I was pleased overall with this one.

5) The Sorcerer's Stone- The one that started it all. :DD This one is great, and they are just SOOO FREAKING CUTE!!!!! <3 Especially seeing how they grew up from this one.

6) The Deathly Hallows part 2- It was great, but I actually didn't find it as good as part 1. Most people I say this to disagree with me though. :(

7) The Order of the Phoenix- Now this is the choppiest movie of them all. It's the shortest (if you don't count Deathly Hallows part 2). While I thought the climax scene was done amazingly, there were lots of parts that were left out from the book, like when they visited St. Mungo's Hospital, which I would have really liked to have seen.

8) The Chamber of Secrets- Now this is kind of my own fault, but I have seen this one WAAAAYY too many times. >.< Also, at times I think it's a bit boring. It's actually the longest one. Idk, I just don't like it as much as the other films.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
1) Deathly Hallows part 1. OK, so I tend to rate the movies on how close to the book they were.  :lol: Some of the lines on this, I could tell, were directly quoted from the book. I agree, the darkness and consistency and soundtrack were very good, and The Tale of the Three Brothers barely had any omissions from it. I also like some of the scenes they added in (minus the dancing scene in the tent, but I'm going to pretend that didn't happen... :x ) particularly at the beginning with Scrimgeour talking to the interviewers, and Hermione modifying her parents memories. They even included a few subtle moments between Remus and Tonks! And the place they chose to end it was climactic as well...

2) Chamber of Secrets. Obviously if you've watched it too many times, it starts to lose its effect, but I still think its a good rendition of the book. Kenneth Branagh was a good choice for Lockhart I think, and the skirmish in the chamber was done well, not to mention Harry's discussion with Dumbledore was largely uncut...

3) Prisoner of Azkaban. Once again referring to actors. David Thewlis really did seem like a very genuine Lupin. Trying to imagine Lupin as anyone else just doesn't work. I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't include all of the Quidditch matches in it, but I suppose there are some things you have to cut out.

4) Deathly Hallows part 2. Not as good as the first part, I agree, but all the same, quite good. Still, it is the shortest film of the series, and there was no reason why stories couldn't have been elaborated more! The Prince's Tale, whilst good, could have been better. Included a bit more about Severus and Lily, you know? Still, the best scene for me was the one during the ceasefire of the battle, and everyone laying out their dead... :(

5) Philosopher's Stone (as well call it in Britain  ;) ) Not a lot to say, it was alright. Not a lot from the book missed out, hardly anything actually...and again, brilliant soundtrack.

6) Half-Blood Prince. Slightly weird rendition, I have to say. The burning of the Burrow just came out of nowhere...and why was Narcissa so calm when talking to Snape about the possibility of her son dying??? It has a few redeeming qualities though. The acting of Tom Felton and Alan Rickman in particular, not to mention Dumbledore's death scene. Was disappointed by the lack of battle in the Astronomy Tower and funeral, but you know...

7) Order of the Pheonix. This is my favourite book, not to mention to longest. But then why make it into the second-shortest film?? Makes no sense. Harry didn't go through enough turmoil mentally during this film either, Dobby was dropped again, Bellatrix didn't seem as threatening as she should have done, Hagrid, Kreacher and McGonagall's roles were severely dropped, and Dumbledore didn't spend nearly enough time talking to Harry at the end.
Redeeming qualities include Luna (absolutely perfect actress who's name I've regrettably forgotten), Umbridge (again, another good actress) and the slight change made referring to the smashing of the prophecy. In hindsight, it makes a lot more sense for Lucius to have smashed it than Neville.

8) Goblet of Fire. When first watching this, half the time I was saying to myself, 'where's this...?' and 'what happened to...?'
Ludo Bagman, Winky, Dobby, most of Rita Skeeter's journalism, Hagrid's half-giant subplot, all the creatures of the maze, the majority of Sirius' role, the explination for Barty Crouch Jr being around at all? It amazes me that some film-only watchers are able to follow the story after that.
Redeeming qualities? Not many, save the acting.