The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Final Verdict: Rapidshare Sucks!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As some of you know, despite everything I am going to quite a bit of trouble to get all of the episodes of Dink, the Little Dinosaur.  After which, I'll set something up to make getting them better for the fans.  However, do you know how frustrating it's been trying to get them?

A torrent search leads you to one without seeds or lechers.  This makes that one just impossible to download.  Other than that, you can find a better one, but you have to pay for the torrent downloader to get it. (The torrent is set up to have it downloaded specifically from this one.) No thank you!

A YouTube search only brings up about 16 of the 42 episodes. :(

Finally, you search, "Dink, the Little Dinosaur Downloads".  Third link in you get what seems to be the saving grace to your problem.  A search engine that helps you locate files on a site called Rapidshare.  Also, EVERY episode of Dink, TLD is there.  Sure you have to download them one at a time and put in a 3 digit code to ensure you're not a bot, but it's worth it, right?  WRONG!

Rapidshare, as of this moment, has proven itself to be THE absolute worst sharing file service I have ever run into.

The first thing you'll note is that it has a choice between Free and Premium User.  Since you aren't paying for this, you are forced to pick Free User.  This in turn causes several problems.

First off, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can download the file.  For me, it's been anywhere between 45 and 90 seconds, but I suspect it has to do with my 2MB connection speed.  Those of you with slower ones will probably have to wait longer, and I bet that would be a pain.

Next up, the download takes FOREVER!  I find myself trying to find a way to spend 45 to 90 minutes just to get a 94 MB file. (Sometimes I get lucky and only have to wait 10, but that's rare.) I'd hate to see how long a 1 GB file takes to download from this place.

Also, do you know how much bandwidth this takes up?  The download slowed the loading of THIS FORUM'S Home Page to a snail's pace!  It was horrible!  To be honest, other places I've used to download files only slow it down a tiny bit.  They don't cause as much of a problem as Rapidshare does.

Finally, there are restrictions to being a Free User.

The first thing is that you can't download all the time.  You have to wait a whole hour at least between downloads before you can attempt to download again.

The final thing you want to know that really makes this terrible?  Their server is overloaded VERY OFTEN!  As a Free User you really have to time the download just right.  If you don't, you have to wait until it is no longer overloaded before you can get it.  How long does that take?  To be honest, it could be hours.

I've seen better service from other various file sharing sites than this one.  Also, they give you that greatness absolutely free!  Places like SendSpace are so much better.  Even ones like 4Shared that have a limit to how much you can store for your users I would rate better.  They are just so much better and faster and they do it for free.

This goes out to Rapidshare, when I finally have them all, I'm done with you.  Fans of anything shouldn't be restricted like this.  I can't make it better for everyone, but I can at least make it better for one fanbase out there.

Fans of Dink, the Little Dinosaur, you will be saved from this tragedy.  I promise you that. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I could be mistaken, but I believe I heard that Rapidshare purposely slows down..either uploading or downloading, or perhaps both.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
No, I'm sorry.  The worst file-sharing service has to be megaupload.  Speeds are 1.2kbps if you're lucky.  I love Rapidshare.  Just be careful what you download.  There's a lot of virus-infected s*** on there.  There's a small program written in Java that will allow you to download stuff without a time delay and without delays between downloads on RapidShare.  I can't remember the name, but it's great.  Whenever I need to download stuff from RapidShare, I use that program and it's pretty easy.  Sure the slow speeds are a pain, but that's with ALL major file-sharing services.  I'm sorry that they can't have a 20gb/s connection, but that costs a s***load of money.  They already have a 150 petabyte (150 MILLION gigabyte) server.  The problem is, there's just too many people on there.  I'd pay for the goddamned service if it wasn't like $1 a day or something stupid like that.  It's ridiculous!  They're just being greedy.  Make it $10 a year and maybe I'll consider it. :anger

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've actually heard the opposite. I heard Megaupload was better than Rapidshare. A friend of mine has much better luck with uploading stuff on Megaupload quickly than Rapidshare. I've personally used Megaupload more than Rapidshare and I admit I like Megaupload more.

And I don't get about the 1.5 kilobytes per second. I've gotten stuff downloaded from that site at a much higher speed, I think close to 80 kilobytes per second at one point.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Feb 7 2010 on  11:34 PM
No, I'm sorry.  The worst file-sharing service has to be megaupload.  Speeds are 1.2kbps if you're lucky.  I love Rapidshare.  Just be careful what you download.  There's a lot of virus-infected s*** on there.  There's a small program written in Java that will allow you to download stuff without a time delay and without delays between downloads on RapidShare.  I can't remember the name, but it's great.  Whenever I need to download stuff from RapidShare, I use that program and it's pretty easy.  Sure the slow speeds are a pain, but that's with ALL major file-sharing services.  I'm sorry that they can't have a 20gb/s connection, but that costs a s***load of money.  They already have a 150 petabyte (150 MILLION gigabyte) server.  The problem is, there's just too many people on there.  I'd pay for the goddamned service if it wasn't like $1 a day or something stupid like that.  It's ridiculous!  They're just being greedy.  Make it $10 a year and maybe I'll consider it. :anger
Well, you have to remember that this is WITHOUT such assistance of another program.  I have actually had better service from other places without the help of another program.

Also, if what DH says about them purposely changing speeds is true, then that makes them even worse.  This means they can choose who they make it better or worse for.  If that's the case, then it's just wrong.  It should be the same for everyone.  Period!

Finally, I've never really tried MegaUpload, to be honest.  So I really can't give an opinion on it.

With the experience I've had, Rapidshare isn't winning me over anytime soon.  I'm only putting up with it because there's really no other way available to get all of the episodes for the one franchise I'm going for.

Like I said, after I have them all, I'm done with Rapidshare.

Oh, and you can forget about showing me a link to the program that makes it better.  That won't make up for the crap I've had to put up with.

It's just not worth it to me. -_-

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
There's one thing that RapidShare has that no other file-sharing service has.....content.  RapidShare has almost every file on the frickin' planet!  And I don't see anything wrong with them throttling back the speeds.  If they don't want to give their service away for free, then they don't have to!  I just won't be paying for it, that's for sure.  It's called an incentive.  If you could get full speeds for free, then why would you sign up and pay them per month to be a premium member?

To be perfectly honest, pretty much ALL file-sharing services suck.  Why do you think I have my own server? :p  The only one that was ever any decent was driveway.com, and they're gone for good.  Why do you think that is?  Probably because they weren't making any money off of it.  They started cutting back on their free services and people left.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
You get what you pay for....you didn't pay anything, so don't expect the world for free. ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Keep in mind that I could be wrong about Rapidshare purposely slowing down. Could be no more than just a rumor. I'll have to find out.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
megaupload is a lot better imo, lbtl.

I agree that rapidshare sucks for download speeds. It's ok otherwise.
These days I really like mediafire :)

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
Rapidshare, as of this moment, has proven itself to be THE absolute worst sharing file service I have ever run into.

I completely agree with that.

Next up, the download takes FOREVER! I find myself trying to find a way to spend 45 to 90 minutes just to get a 94 MB file. (Sometimes I get lucky and only have to wait 10, but that's rare.) I'd hate to see how long a 1 GB file takes to download from this place.
YES! Normally I can download up to 200kbp/s, even with my slow DSL 1500 connection! But the average download speed on RapidFail is only 30kbp/s! It's just annoying! I can download from netload.in as a free user with a speed of 200, it's way better there!

The first thing is that you can't download all the time. You have to wait a whole hour at least between downloads before you can attempt to download again.
Yeah!! I use JDownloader as my download manager, it has a "Router Reconnect" function where you can change your IP adress, but it doesn't work on my router. -.-

I've actually heard the opposite. I heard Megaupload was better than Rapidshare. A friend of mine has much better luck with uploading stuff on Megaupload quickly than Rapidshare. I've personally used Megaupload more than Rapidshare and I admit I like Megaupload more.

It is better than RapidShare, your download speed is faster there, and you don't have to wait for hours for just one file! But I really don't recommend Megaupload for uploads, it's just creepy! :oops I can upload up to 22kbp/s, but on Megaupload I upload 31MB in one second (WTF?!) and then the upload aborts.

@Everyone
USE SENDSPACE!!! SendSpace ist the best upload service. With the "SendSpace Wizard" - a programm where you can up- and download files from SendSpace - it'll be way simpler and you can upload up to 10 files simultaneously! :lol:
http://www.sendspace.com

If you are registered, you can manage all your files, and you can collect points for each download. If you get 10,000 points, you can update your profile with a 30 day MAX account and you will be able to enjoy all the features that SendSpace offers! :lol

I just don't get why people are hosting their files on RapidShare!  :crazy  Everytime when I try to download something I have to wait the whole day ("NO MORE FREE USER SLOTS AVAILABLE" or "TOO MANY USERS ARE CURRENTLY DOWNLOADING THIS FILE") to get a download ticket for that file.

By the way: It took two days and nights for Dink, The Little Dinosaur... my laptop was running the whole time, no shutdowns in 48 hours.

Every time when I want to get files, I try to avoid RapidShare. There are better upload services, like
SendSpace.com
uploaded.to
netload.in
zippyshare.com
hotfile.com
megaupload.com