The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Viruses on Deviantart

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Has anyone here gotten computer viruses from Deviantart?  I keep getting this message telling me my computer is infected (I know it's fake) but then the other day, I got a really bad that actually downloaded oto my computer, disables all my antivirus software, and wouldn't even let me on the internet.  I was eventually able to run my software again and got rid of the virus.  Unfortunately, now I'm afraid to go back on Deviantart because of these viruses.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Never had a virus no... Then again you can only get a virus when you actually give access to the virus to your computer.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
While I haven't gotten infected, I have gotten redirected, or nearly redirected I should say, to a rogue antivirus.

Deviantart is safe; from what I've seen redirections are rare. If you want extra protection, I'd say install Threatfire. It'll work alongside your antivirus and increase detection.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^
Yeah, I've been getting that rogue antivirus crap.  I'd really like to get my hands on the jerk that writes this crap and give them what for.  I've got MalewareBytes and Spybot, which do a pretty good job of removing the crap.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, Malwarebytes is really good at removing stuff. Not sure how good Spybot is anymore. I haven't been able to use it for some reason.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
You know what?  That's probably how I've gotten my computer infected so badly last time.  I was a regular visitor to DeviantArt.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In all the years I've been at DA (since 2003), I've only had a malware redirection twice, and my sister once.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
From what I've seen online, a bunch of people have been infected lately on Deviantart.  They said that the flash ads are giving people viruses but I have no idea how to block those.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I still have no problems with Deviantart. Likely they can't do anything about the ads. Only thing I can think of doing is perhaps using Firefox's Adblocker add on.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Mar 28 2010 on  08:42 PM
I still have no problems with Deviantart. Likely they can't do anything about the ads. Only thing I can think of doing is perhaps using Firefox's Adblocker add on.
Well that's exactly what I just did.  I downloaded Firefox and installed their ad blocker.  it seems to work.  I just went to Deviantart and have not got the virus so I guess as long as I use Firefox I'm same.  I'd sure like to get my hands on the jerk that writes this crap though.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah I don't see ads either cus of adblock.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if these viruses are causing a major downfall in the statistics of getting members.

Last year it was #3.

This year, it is now #319.

Wow!  What a drop for THE most popular Fanart Forum of 2009. -_-

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've had this exact same virus and I had to pay to get it removed.  I at first thought it was from Fanfiction.net, but now I've come to realize that it's Deviantart that is infected.  I still go there, but now I have MalwareBites protecting my computer.