The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How would you define Art theft?

Saft · 5 · 1092

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Simple question:
How would you define Art theft?
Where would you draw the 'line'?  (as in what do you think is art theft and what is not)

Inspired to some degree to some lack-luster drama going on over on TLKFAA.  There is always something.  And whilst it is slighly amusing to some degree to see some idiot causing a problem with what they feel is right when they are so utterly wrong...(yeah, I know...it doesn't sound nice the way i have put it...sorry) but it is deeply unfair to the person that the attack is being centred around at.

Personally, I define art theft as a person 'stealing' a work of art and claiming it as their own.

Tracing is borderline but not too severe.  And as for free hand...seriously, it's not that much of a big deal.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
For me, it would be someone doing the following:

Claiming something made by me was made by them.

Using a character from any of the above without my permission or without clearly stating that it was done by me and not the.

However, if they use it with permission, or at least give me some recognition for creating part of it, I would consider it, instead, as a collab, or a tribute, depending on what it is.

Luckily, all the works I make in terms of characters, stories, pictures, animations, etc, are so obscure that nobody bothers to steal them.

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Here is what art theft is to me;

1. Posting/stealing artwork that does not belong to you. Anime screenshots included.

2. Editing/slightly modifying someone else's work. Recoloring is a big problem on DA.

3. Character theft and art theft are two completely different things, but if the thief is claiming credit for any piece of artwork that you've done of that character, this rule doesn't apply.

4. The subject of tracing is debatable, as I've even come across books that were especially designed for tracing. However, I still think tracing is considered as art theft, especially if you trace another artist's artwork just to make a base/line art. If you wish to do this, then you'll have to at least get the actual artist's permission to do so.

I'll admit, I do make my own bases, only I actually hand draw mine.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree with both Allicloud and EggStealerGirl :exactly.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I think there’s another form of art theft that is debatable. What about when you see a picture, take the theme, and then make a piece that has nothing visibly similar other than what it is about? People call it inspiration. Is that stealing? Is it partial stealing? Maybe an appropriate kind of theft? Or perhaps it isn’t stealing at all. I found a PokÈmon fan art picture. In it, my favorite character, Dawn, was doing something. So the theme of the picture was that girl partaking of a certain activity. I loved the picture and what the theme was, and I was inspired to write a fan fiction based off of the theme of that picture, what Dawn was doing. Now, otherwise, there was no  copying. The method in which the activity took place was somewhat different, she was wearing different clothes, her reaction was a bit different, and so on. So I did not take any literal, tangible elements from the picture, just the theme, what the picture was about and was trying to say. Does anyone see that as a form of stealing?

There are just so many boundaries of taking something from someone else. There is direct like literally claiming ownership from someone else or just slightly altering a picture. Those are not difficult to define as wrong. Yet, inspiration is a tricky matter to deal with. When does inspiration stop and originality begin? Is theme-stealing an offense or just something commonplace that everyone does and no one really cares about? Should using another’s theme be taken by the artist as flattery, or is there cause for anger? If someone draws a dragon eating a gnome on a mountain, then someone sees it and, being inspired, with totally unique designs, draws a dragon eating a gnome in a valley, is that cause to call “Thief!” or is just something that even the original artist would overlook?

For one thing, I’ve never seen an artist copyright a theme. When someone draws a red dragon feeding her young, I see things like, “These characters are owned by me,” not, “Since I drew this, no one else is allowed to draw red dragons feeding their young.” So while there are black and white lines of taking art, I feel that there is at least one that is transparent. Some artists may feel that another using his or her theme is wrong, some may be glad that they helped another artist, or some may simply think nothing of it. I think that when it comes to themes, it’s more or less “Anything goes,” but that is just my opinion. With so many ideas out there in use, it can be hard to be one hundred percent original. So my addition to this thread is just to consider that not everything is a definite act of robbery in the world of art, namely the act of being inspired.