The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why Ali wasn't in LBT 10

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
As fans may typically know, especially Ali fans, the much-loved character Ali for some reason did not appear in the 10th LBT, The Great Longneck Migration.                                                 This is quite a disappointment, as Ali should have appeared since the film was about a longneck migration. I have a theory as the reason why she did not appear is probably because the producers may have felt Ali wasn't neccessary for the film, and wanted to focus on the characters of Bron and Shorty instead, perhaps thinking Ali would have gotten in the way. Though it would have been pleasing to the fans if they could just leave out Shorty and have Ali brought in, which would make more sense.

Anyone have their ideas on why Ali didn't appear in LBT 10, canon-wise?

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Quote from: Dracorider19,May 1 2017 on  08:58 AM
because the producers may have felt Ali wasn't neccessary for the film, and wanted to focus on the characters of Bron and Shorty instead
this.
The same happened with poor Shorty in LBTXIV.

The only possible reason of her "canon" disappearance is that she and her herd was too far away from crater (obviously, not all longnecks from Before Time Earth came here.). But I doubt she went SO FAR away.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
True, she was in a different herd, but yeah kind of odd we didnt' see her at the crater where like EVERYONE went to

But she did appear in the TV show o-O

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah it's sad she wasn't in anymore movies. She was a pretty cool character in my opinion

LBT90321

• Spike
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Because Littlefoot and Ali still haven't grown. Therefore, they were too small and childish to ship them in the canon story. Though, that's what fanfiction writing is for, right? :lol  :blink:
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I think it is just a case of the producers wanted the focus to be on Littlefoot meeting his dad. Having Ali there too would have caused the focus to be a bit all over the place. In-universe, however, it doesn't really make all that much sense. If all longnecks were heading to this one place, then Ali and her herd surely would have been there as well, right?

I think the producers wanted to find a way to reunite Littlefoot with his dad, but honestly I don't think the whole migration thing was the best way to go about it as it brings in plotholes such as Ali's absence. I personally think just having Bron accidentally stumble into the Great Valley with his herd and meeting Littlefoot there would have worked just as well.

It is a shame Ali wasn't in the film, but in a way I'm glad they just kept the focus on Littlefoot bonding with his dad and adopted brother. You never know, she might still return someday. :)

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I think you confused threads, Ducky. :p
6/14
0/26

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I would rather have had Ali than Shorty, but I believe I might be minority that didn't care for Shorty's character.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm happy that we got Shorty introduced into the series. He added a lot of new factors to Littlefoot's character and there's a lot of potential in his own development. Even if Ali's presence could have made the story in the 10th film  more interesting, I wouldn't trade Shorty's debut for Ali's return. After all, why should those characters' presence in the film be mutually exclusive?  :p

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Shorty is a great character I loved him a lot in movie ten. I could understand why he was a bully towards LittleFoot since he was the outcast In the movie. No one wanted anything to do with him and I felt bad for shorty. So I'm glad he got a cameo in one movie and I'm sure if they did add Ali it would of been very interesting to see how that would of panned out.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
The film makers simply left her out, that's that, at least that's what I think.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just like they left out Shorty in 14... it doesn't make any sense  :bang If there's no technical need for a character to appear in a movie but they'd belong there anyway based on previous stories... they should still appear imo
Inactive, probably forever.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's pretty funny actually: wouldn't it actually have been easier for Universal to develop the plot of the tenth film with Ali as a part of it? After all, her caracter was already established and her presence would have been more than logical. With the the Great Migration and JOTB, I've got the feeling that Universal spends extra time to come up with a worse plot than they needed to.  :sducky

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I would like to see that. If film has been bigger, Ali's character and plotline (NOT romantic!!! гг) would appear without any problem. And not only her... What about Doc? :D
6/14
0/26

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I doubt he'd travel with such a large group of longnecks. Maybe he's the only one who knows it's just an eclipse and not the end of the world :lol
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Yep, this is one of the few things about Movie 10 that bugged me. And let's not forget Doc, though I think that one was for the better since we would've had three father figures for Littlefoot instead of two in the movie, and that would've been pretty complicated to juggle.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Doylist reasons, yeah, they probably didn't want to complicate the plot by bringing Ali and Doc into the matter. I believe this is the longest film in the series, but even then, they don't have time to juggle so many characters (Though there are parts I think could have been cut or shortened to more streamline the thing). There's also the fact the kids might be entering the series late or watching them in any order, so they don't want to confuse things too much with passed characters they are supposed to know.

Watsonian-wise, I can see why not all longnecks would go. Ali's herd is migratory and timing is probably vital, so they can't just drop everything to pursue some dream. Others might be busy surviving, so I can see why the Tinysauruses stayed with whatever they were doing prior to arriving in the valley. Then there are those who are not fit for the long journey, or don't want to abandon the food and comfort they have. This could be the case for Bron's herd, most of whom he indicated near the end of the film seem to have stayed put wherever they were staying. Him wording that place as home is weird, since it seemed to indicate the herd lives there full-time instead of being migratory as indicated, but inconstancy with this franchise is normal and can be hand-waved.

As for Doc, well...he's the Lone Dinosaur. No prophetic dream is going to tell him what to do. ;)

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep, this is the longest of them all. LBT X is 1 hr 24 mins.